Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Cythereal posted:

...They really didn't want it to actually be the clones' fault, did they?

Why does everything have to be "No, it's the Sith Lord's fault?" Why can't ordinary people betray and kill Jedi of their own free will?

Because it makes less sense if they did.

Fact of the matter is that in the Clone Wars series and to an extent some of the old EU stuff a lot of the clones and Jedi were bros. They'd joke around with each other, seriously worry for the safety of others regardless of whether they were Jedi wanting to protect their troops or subordinates wanting to protect their leaders. There was legitimate camaraderie going between many Jedi generals and their troops.

Now put yourself in the shoes of one of those troopers for a moment when Order 66 happens. An order from a guy comes in over the comms. He is your highest-ranking officer, but you've never met him in person and have only the vaguest sense of attachment to him. He's telling you that your commanding officer that you've fought and bled for for years, that fought alongside you at every step is a traitor and you need to kill him right loving now. No questions, no excuses, they have to die.

There is no way every single clone would follow that order of their own free will. So...you get some insurance. A little chip in their brain that turns off free will for a little while while when the order is given so things like "being a comrade-in-arms" or "respect" or anything like that don't really matter anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread