Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016
I've looked through AI and I haven't seen anything for those of us who sit on the wrong side of the car and cry whenever someone asks why there is an oil puddle under our car so I figured I'd make one.

Please don't kinkshame those of us who modify or even mutilate their cars for the sake of going fast or looking cool or whatever. It's their car not yours and unless it's the last one available they can do whatever they want with it.

I personally have a '71 MGB GT which continues to try to drive me to suicide by not working. If anyone knows a good way to troubleshoot an ignition switch let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I'll stick up some pics of the old man's 1952 MG TD when I can find him, helped him do a complete restoration on it. Try and get some pics of your car up!

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016
My dad and I bought it in 2006 to do a 4 year restoration. We ended up spending 10 years doing a full frame-off restoration and now it's my daily driver.

Some mods include:
-added a 5 speed Datsun 280Z transmission.
-mild cam
-polished heads with larger valves
-all new wiring
-bluetooth amp and 2 speaker boxes to replace the lovely Honda radio in it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Stupid double post.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 4, 2017

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

No Lucas thread is complete without:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I have a 1976 MGB that i daily drove until the clutch cylinder sprung a leak and poured fluid all over the driverside floor board. Gotta rebuild that one day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'd be curious in a Lotus 7, Series 2 or 3. Massachusetts emissions rules is that the car needs to have emissions equipment for the year in which the car was built. So if the kit was done in the OBD-II era, that means it needs to report OBD-II readiness codes. And apparently most kit builders put in non OBD ECUs.
A real Lotus would be a true antique, though my understanding is that they're not necessarily better built or have better suspension tuning than aftermarket kits.

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

I'd be curious in a Lotus 7, Series 2 or 3. Massachusetts emissions rules is that the car needs to have emissions equipment for the year in which the car was built. So if the kit was done in the OBD-II era, that means it needs to report OBD-II readiness codes. And apparently most kit builders put in non OBD ECUs.
A real Lotus would be a true antique, though my understanding is that they're not necessarily better built or have better suspension tuning than aftermarket kits.

In Washington state emissions only need to meet any standard at all if it's <25 yrs old. So my 71 could burn coal and
be fine.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Some guy started a TR7 rebuild thread a couple years ago then disappeared. We had one so I'm really curious to know how it's going. Also someone was doing an 80s or so Jag, also disappeared.

Maybe they both threw in the towel.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I've been working at a British sports car shop for the past year, trying to get a friends Sunbeam Tiger running and need to finish my Austin Mini so unfortunately I'm waaaay deep in this poo poo :wotwot:

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 8, 2017

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Well done for daily drivering that :)

I've got a classic british car army truck. I have removed the bulk of the lucas from it but it still leaks.

I've got a thread going on it but haven't updated in a couple of months as I've been playing with other projects.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh god this means the nightmares are going to come back, doesn't it.

I cut my teeth (and everything else) on a 66 Morris mini deluxe an a 74 Leyland van. A man of my age should not know what a voltage regulator is; or why he's on his 3rd this month. Or have to pull a wiper motor in a rain storm. Or hope that the headlights, indicators and hell the distributor, coil and alternator are going to survive the drive home.

I've had my arm practically blown off by arcing plug wires and the same car would render AM radios useless at 30 meters.

And not a day goes by that I don't miss those tiny, hateful bastards.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Well, I should have parts for my clutch master cylinder rebuild coming in the mail today, (76 MGB) Wish me luck. I have never bled the clutch on this but it should not be anything out of the ordinary? Got some new points and a condenser as well, just because. I have a set of dual carbs from an earlier MGB GT to replace the Zenith Stromberg that it currently has (I hate you) But I need a new intake and probably exhaust manifold to make them fit. At some point in the last few months the key wont turn the ignition, I think I am just going to pull the tumblers out of it and install a cutoff switch. Anyway, this should be fun, I miss driving this little thing.

ed:
British cars are are high maintenance, but I always viewed them kinda like a pocket watch, they need you to keep them running, and it is worth it when you do. Always carry a trunk of spare parts though.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 22, 2017

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Well there's yer problem.

Clutch master cylinder pulled and there was what looks like gray rtv used as a prior repair. Lucky it lasted as long as I had been driving it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Harsh But True posted:

If anyone knows a good way to troubleshoot an ignition switch let me know.

Please ensure that your smoke containment device is on standby. This looks like a fine MSPaint diagram claiming to be for the North American 1971 MGB GT, but then again was sourced from The Googles.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sten Freak posted:

Some guy started a TR7 rebuild thread a couple years ago then disappeared. We had one so I'm really curious to know how it's going. Also someone was doing an 80s or so Jag, also disappeared.

Maybe they both threw in the towel.

I think I was the TR7 guy. It sat in a garage for 22 years, I got it going again, and then all the rubber disintegrated so it didn't get driven as much, and didn't have the $$ or motivation (my wife really didn't like it) to go further with it. I recently got gifted a new car to work on, so I gifted the TR7 on to a colleague's husband.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means

:v:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

sharkytm posted:

You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means

:v:

Apparently, gift has been verbed since the 1600s, though I'm usually against the practice. I've also never watched Seinfeld, so I don't have the 'regifting' connotation.

What I wanted to get across was:

Grammar Party posted:

When you use gifted it sounds like you’re doing some thing more special than just giving something to someone. Like you deserve a medal or a certificate of generosity.
Giving isn’t about being the recipient of praise for doing a kind act. But gifting feels like it is—like the focus is on the giver on and not the recipient.
https://grammarpartyblog.com/2012/08/08/gifting-a-rant/
Getting that car felt more special than just him giving it to me. It was a gift, and I wanted to give him more praise than if he had merely given me ... whatever, photographic advice or a beer. I wanted the focus to be on his generosity. A better word hadn't occurred to me, and I didn't want to write a long explanation of what I was trying to get across. :irony: On the other hand, I never felt my giving the TR7 made me worthy of praise, it was really the minimum I could do in response, so mea culpa. My excuse for using was that it kept the parallelism of the sentence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

joat mon posted:

Apparently, gift has been verbed since the 1600s, though I'm usually against the practice. I've also never watched Seinfeld, so I don't have the 'regifting' connotation.

He meant you were albatrossing the guy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If someone told me they'd been given a TR7, I'd ask them if they can recall being particularly rude to any old gypsy women of late.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

He meant you were albatrossing the guy.

DERRRRRRP.
(Perhaps I was being a bit self-conscious about verbing words)

Hey, I gave him a chance to say no.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

If someone told me they'd been given a TR7, I'd ask them if they can recall being particularly rude to any old gypsy women of late.

:lol:

Yes, I know the meaning of "gifting," but I was commenting on the non-gift nature of the TR7.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

joat mon posted:

DERRRRRRP.
(Perhaps I was being a bit self-conscious about verbing words)

Hey, I gave him a chance to say no.

"Hey, man, you want a free car?"

"Sure! Wait, what kind-"

"Ahh! Ahh! You said yes! You said yes! No takesies-backsies!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The TR7 is the Brock Osweiler of cars.

• Locked thread