Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This week's Staff Pick is:

Stalker (1979)

Directed by: Andrei Tarkovsky
Written by: Arkadiy Strugatskiy, Boris Strugatskiy and Andrei Tarkovsky
Cinematography by: Aleksandr Knyazhinskiy, Georgi Rerberg (1977 crew) and Leonid Kalashnikov
Edited by: Lyudmila Feyginova
Music by: Eduard Artemev
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/

Summary: A guide leads two men through an area known as the Zone to find a room that grants wishes.

Stalker is my favorite movie ever, and it recently has been given a much needed full fledged restoration for home release. Past DVDs have had weird wobbly tracking issues and some editions had different scores because of conflicts over rights holders or something. Now this absolute classic can be enjoyed in a whole new light!

If you haven't seen it, the film is a slow, methodical sci-fi exploration of the conflicts between theology, scientific pursuits and artistic endeavors, as embodied in the three main characters. The cinematography is second to none in my eyes; every composition is beautifully pieced together and given huge chunks of time to simply exist in your eyes. The contrast between internal and external, the natural and the urban are built into the film's color scheme, set design, music direction, etc. When I first saw this movie it caught me totally off guard and engrossed me in a way few films have before or since. I rewatch it relatively frequently and was even lucky enough to catch a projection a few years ago. I'm extremely excited to see this new restoration!

Sadly, the new restoration is not seeing a home release until July. The "print" (aka 80 gig hard drive with a copy of the movie) is touring currently, and the theater near me is screening it starting this weekend. Even if you haven't seen the film before, please check out the existing copy, or you can watch it for free on youtube (without subtitles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZv-Zeo13XM

There's also the usual illicit methods to acquire it if you want. I've got screengrabs from past viewings, and Ill pull out my old DVD and scrub through it again after I watch the new restoration and see what new elements caught my eye.

---

From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918
February 14th, 2017: John Wick
February 21st, 2017: Red Sorghum
February 28th, 2017: God of Gamblers
March 7th, 2017: The Autopsy of Jane Doe
March 14th, 2017: Perfect Blue
March 21st, 2017: Spring Breakers
March 28th, 2017: Cemetery of Splendor
April 20th, 2017: Parallax View
April 27th, 2017: Right Now, Wrong Then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I've been meaning to watch this for ages. I preordered the Criterion version on Amazon a bit ago so I probably won't be seeing it this week, though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

That scene with the girl looking at the glass on the table.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i deffo wont be seeing it this week because its coming to a theater in chicago memorial day weekend and ij ust want to fuckin savor it in widescreen. extremely pumped to watch it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's also pretty cool to know some trivia about the movie while watching it:

quote:

Tarkovsky spent a year shooting a version of the outdoor scenes of Stalker. However, when the crew got back to Moscow, they found that all of the film had been improperly developed and their footage was unusable. Tarkovsky ended up reshooting almost all of the film with a new cinematographer, Aleksandr Knyazhinsky. According to Safiullin, the finished version of Stalker is completely different from the one Tarkovsky originally shot. Ultimately, Tarkovsky shot Stalker three times, consuming over 5,000 meters of film.

quote:

We were shooting near Tallinn in the area around the small river Jägala with a half-functioning hydroelectric station. Up the river was a chemical plant and it poured out poisonous liquids downstream. There is even this shot in Stalker: snow falling in the summer and white foam floating down the river. In fact it was some horrible poison. Many women in our crew got allergic reactions on their faces. Tarkovsky died from cancer of the right bronchial tube. And Tolya Solonitsyn too. That it was all connected to the location shooting for Stalker became clear to me when Larisa Tarkovskaya died from the same illness in Paris.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The new translation for Roadside Picnic is really good and worth reading.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

this is probably the second best video game movie ever made, behind resident evil

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Let me just say I Love this Movie. Thanks. Bye.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Palpek posted:

It's also pretty cool to know some trivia about the movie while watching it:

Not the worst movie to die from. At least they didn't go out like John Wayne and The Conqueror.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was sold out two evenings in a row oops.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm too dumb for this movie imo but it's good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I saw this on Sunday, and the new restoration is wonderful. Stalker's apartment is one of my favorite spaces in film and they fidelity makes it feel even more oppressive. you can practically count every little brush stroke of the rust and decay of the set. I was also struck by some details I overlooked in the past, like the carefully place detritus they pass throughout the zone; lightbulbs, straws, frames, etc. There are scenes where the camera pays special attention to them, like the slow pans over slightly submerged technologies of war, but I never really noticed how ubiquitous the trash was

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't make a new thread because Plutonis said he would make for this week. So keep your eyes peeled or I'll make a belated one this weekend.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
still haven't seen this but it was a big influence in the last thing i produced. gotta check it out. Gotta find a screening. looks like I can see it at Lincoln Center with moviepass :hellyeah:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

trying to jack off posted:

this is probably the second best video game movie ever made, behind resident evil

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

finlly got to see this Saturday and i havent stopped thinkin about it since. this is definitely one of th best movies ive ever seen, nd i'm glad iw aited to see it in 4k so that i could absorb every speck of the slavic shithole they filmed in. what a fuckin movie

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the wifes monologue to the camera at the end, gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The dude next to me last night audibly gasped when Professor said "It's a bomb."

It made my week.

• Locked thread