Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But there are so many insanely good games out in the world that you could name a hundred distinct top 5s with no overlap and there wouldn't be a single entry where you're like "really, that game?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I think there's only one black guy in Chrono Trigger and he's part motorcycle.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the best video game is DROD: Second Sky

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I actually think that Games really suffer narratively, and there's nothing out they're with a great story.

Mgs2 and deus ex are okay (and relevant to cspam), witcher 3 is good and enjoyable story-wise, like listening to a like a fairy tale can be (the hearts of stone expansion is better than the base game at this) jrpgs and wrpgs like mother and undertale can be fun and emotionally engaging.

But 'Great' is different. Great has to not just be good, it has to be itself become a metaphor, it has to have something unique to say. Eg- Catch-22 isnt just a funny story, its about the way bureaucracies and systems encountered in modern life are dehumanizing and absurd.

I think the closest are probably mgs2 and deus ex, but the former is way too on the nose and the later does have a theme, but I think it might have been there unintentionally.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
people get pissed off when a game has a great story, which is why most developers don't bother. like hotline miami 2, so much effort was put into bringing the series full circle and all anybody talks about it is long corridors

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Hotline miami 2 didn't have a great story

I love hotline miami, but its not really story focused, yet the first one arguably had a better narrative - adding more backstory didn't really add to the message HM had to say

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Top 5:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 9
Super Mario World/Super Mario Bros 3 (tied)
Dark Souls
Deus Ex

Good taste.

I'm playing Nier: Automata right now and it's super fun.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah hm1's story was incredibly fitting with the kind of game it was, it's chaotic and only semi-coherent with really sudden stops and starts and neither the player or the character fully understand what's going on or why they're doing the things they do

i iddn't actually play hm2 because of its negative buzz but it was also the kind of game that i didn't really think needed a sequel, it's like trying to make lightning strike twice

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Games with great stories are essentially interactive stories, and not video games. "Video game developers" are beyond the point of just making "video games."

Games should always be about player actions. You can't express player actions fully in a great story game because the story is already there for you to just discover.

If you want a really great story your best option is still to read a book, watch a movie, or listen to a storyteller.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Story games are an extension of story forms that already existed like Choose Your Own Adventures or simply oral history traditions in which the storyteller changed the story to suit his/her needs.

"Simulation games" are literally just simulations.

"Educational games" are literally just educational tools.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Video games are cool and I wish I played more of them, not less. Been trying to replay the original Starcraft + Brood War campaign ever since that free release dropped but I have been hella busy since then!

Playing the new Shovel Knight DLC in little bits here and there, it's real good.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Frijolero posted:

Games with great stories are essentially interactive stories, and not video games. "Video game developers" are beyond the point of just making "video games."

Games should always be about player actions. You can't express player actions fully in a great story game because the story is already there for you to just discover.

If you want a really great story your best option is still to read a book, watch a movie, or listen to a storyteller.
I don't agree, not entirely anyway. 'Interactive story' is selling the immersion potential of gaming short.

So, eg as mentioned before, one thing Hotline Miami did really well was use game mechanics to set the tone + atmosphere. That's more than just 'interactive story', that's using the medium's advantages to convey subtle meaning. Cinematography is full of poo poo like that, the use of camera angles and such.

Like I get it, walking simulators are dumb, but you shouldn't go too far in the other direction.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

Video games are cool and I wish I played more of them, not less. Been trying to replay the original Starcraft + Brood War campaign ever since that free release dropped but I have been hella busy since then!

Playing the new Shovel Knight DLC in little bits here and there, it's real good.
There's this tournament thing on twitch, which has 2 robots/ais made by students fighting each other in brood war.

I'm seriously considering writing my own AI script and submitting it, because they're all loving terrible, and starcraft is one of those games where fighting the terrible ui (and the limitations it imposes) is like half of the challenge.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Top 5:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 9
Super Mario World/Super Mario Bros 3 (tied)
Dark Souls
Deus Ex
you're cheating with number 3, you're either team SMB3 (like me) or team SMW. pick a side

i only played chrono trigger once but i ought to dig out my DS and play it again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Frijolero posted:

"video game" is an arbitrary label imposed on a type of media by capitalism in order to facilitate the easy marketing of products. im not really interested in doing a marketers job for them by trying to create arbitrary definitions that they can use to isolate market segments.

so if someone wants to call something a video game i really dont give a poo poo

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Concordat posted:

I think there's only one black guy in Chrono Trigger and he's part motorcycle.

I read a book about Chrono Trigger, and part of it explains why everyone in the game is white. https://bossfightbooks.com/products/chrono-trigger-by-michael-p-williams

He says that the Square (and many other Japanese media companys) would go to some effort to remove any "cultural odor" from their products in order to increase its international appeal. The word associated with that idea is "mukokuseki" and I guess it comes from this book, "Recentering Globalization: Popular Culture and Japanese Transnationalism" by Koichi Iwabuchi.

Really makes you think

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

But there are so many insanely good games out in the world that you could name a hundred distinct top 5s with no overlap and there wouldn't be a single entry where you're like "really, that game?"

dr robotnik's mean bean machine, in every spot

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ya chrono trigger is a fantastic game

the music is also irl good too

also wow killing the main character?!?!

i love the end of time too, the piles of very different settings

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rudatron posted:

I actually think that Games really suffer narratively, and there's nothing out they're with a great story.

Mgs2 and deus ex are okay (and relevant to cspam), witcher 3 is good and enjoyable story-wise, like listening to a like a fairy tale can be (the hearts of stone expansion is better than the base game at this) jrpgs and wrpgs like mother and undertale can be fun and emotionally engaging.

But 'Great' is different. Great has to not just be good, it has to be itself become a metaphor, it has to have something unique to say. Eg- Catch-22 isnt just a funny story, its about the way bureaucracies and systems encountered in modern life are dehumanizing and absurd.

I think the closest are probably mgs2 and deus ex, but the former is way too on the nose and the later does have a theme, but I think it might have been there unintentionally.
A video game is not a novel. You're comparing two wildly different things. A novel is a long-form narrative created by a single person. Obviously it tells stories better, that's all it does. A video game is 1. an interactive experience, and a tool for players to create their own experiences and 2. a necessarily-commerical product of huge amounts of collective labor. A game will never have a singular voice or vision, and anyone who says a game does is inevitably ignoring all the other people who contributed. People like to think that the MGS series, for instance, is all Kojima, but he's had co-writers since the very start. Games exist to do more than a story. It's like complaining a novel is too linear because it never gives the reader any input.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

A game will never have a singular voice or vision, and anyone who says a game does is inevitably ignoring all the other people who contributed.

this is why 'one man games' like cave story, dwarf fortress, or aurora can be so compelling.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Baloogan posted:

this is why 'one man games' like cave story, dwarf fortress, or aurora can be so compelling.
Right, I should have said "rarely." But even if games don't have stories on par with actual literature, many of them absolutely hold up against popular books or television or movies. Asking that they hit par with Catch-22 does a disservice to both video games and to literature. It's not just a matter of "make the story better."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Confession: I've never played Chrono Trigger. It's been sitting on my Wii(!) Virtual Console for years but I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm almost certain I'd love it too, Final Fantasy VI from that same era is one of my all-time favorites!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what us president is most analogous to steven armstrong, without invoking trump

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

what us president is most analogous to steven armstrong, without invoking trump

reagan

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

now do the same but lavos

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Betsy LaVos

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

obama

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

trump is magus then, we think hes a bad guy at first but then we realize he only did what he did to defeat a much greater evil

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lavos
soros

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
soros is a great name for a videogame antagonist

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

soros is a great name for a videogame antagonist

or a pokemon

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i play lots of space station 13. goonstation ftw

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ive played a bunch of ss13 but its so cliquey

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Al! posted:

Lavos is an all-powerful immortal parasite that seeks only to multiply itself, and it corrupts a society and divides it into those who have access to its powers and an underclass that does not. Yet this same magical division eventually destroys the nation, leading to a society of equals.

Lavos is capitalism.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trump is Dalton

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 390 days!
i continue to play video games not because i enjoy them anymore but its all i know how to do w/r/t hobbies

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

tenderjerk posted:

i continue to play video games not because i enjoy them anymore but its all i know how to do w/r/t hobbies
Do something else or play better games

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lavos is an all-powerful immortal parasite that seeks only to multiply itself, and it corrupts a society and divides it into those who have access to its powers and an underclass that does not. Yet this same magical division eventually destroys the nation, leading to a society of equals.

Lavos is capitalism.

timandericmindblown.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008
Cart Life is a good one for understanding how the gig economy will work in like 2 years and Papers Please is a great game because its gameplay works towards the motivation of the character as opposed to it.
Also has anyone said 'ludology' yet?
Ludology.

• Locked thread