Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Although I think less so than it was 10 years ago. Interestingly, early games were often designed and programmed entirely by one person.

ive dabbled a bit and even with modern user friendly tools, vast amounts of information on the internet and plenty of people with game design experience to help its an insane amount of really confusing and difficult work (for me at least) to have a complete thing where a ship shoots an asteroid, so i have no context for how insane you must have had to have been to be like debugging your game with a votometer in your 70s garage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
EDF 4.1 is very good for C-SPAM

lots of death, destruction and total annihilation, plus the world basically ends and you save cities by calling artillery down on them to root out the hive

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dark souls dark soulsdk sadrk dakrouls dark soudlrfkds dsark ousls

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ive been playing ff7

this is why trump won

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shinra did nothing wrong

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Lastgirl posted:

lots of death, destruction and total annihilation, plus the world basically ends and you save cities by calling artillery down on them to root out the hive

confirming that game owns and you can airdrop giant robots to punch + shoot space aliens/deathbots with, so it also serves as an excellent power rangers game

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i have serious concern that edf isn't realistic

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
The Shinra Power Company's total domination of the planet as an evil monopoly that segregates society into haves and have-nots, destroys the planet with reckless expansion of profit, and wages war as a sovereign entity, is the only logical conclusion of any libertarian or ancap society.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

av club already wrote an article about how we're living in FF7 Shinra world. try to keep up

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Concordat posted:

The Shinra Power Company's total domination of the planet as an evil monopoly that segregates society into haves and have-nots, destroys the planet with reckless expansion of profit, and wages war as a sovereign entity, is the only logical conclusion of any society.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

dark souls dark soulsdk sadrk dakrouls dark soudlrfkds dsark ousls

you aren't talking about dark souls enough

must not be a true dark souls fan

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfV2bq3hMhI

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

rudatron posted:

I actually think that Games really suffer narratively, and there's nothing out they're with a great story.

Mgs2 and deus ex are okay (and relevant to cspam), witcher 3 is good and enjoyable story-wise, like listening to a like a fairy tale can be (the hearts of stone expansion is better than the base game at this) jrpgs and wrpgs like mother and undertale can be fun and emotionally engaging.

But 'Great' is different. Great has to not just be good, it has to be itself become a metaphor, it has to have something unique to say. Eg- Catch-22 isnt just a funny story, its about the way bureaucracies and systems encountered in modern life are dehumanizing and absurd.

I think the closest are probably mgs2 and deus ex, but the former is way too on the nose and the later does have a theme, but I think it might have been there unintentionally.

there's a handful of games that provide 'great' experiences in this vein, one of them being
earthbound is one of those games that seems really simple if you just play it, but it gets more and more hosed up the more you think about it. ness and his buddies are thrown into insanely hosed up situations and nobody bothers even acknowledging their situation. the most egregious one is the entire paula affair, where her parents don't even realize she's gone until a total stranger comes by and starts asking questions. they then give up entirely, the total stranger has to track her down to cult rapeville usa. then after the stranger confronts the cult leader, he basically goes "oh no this evil piece of mammon corrupted me" and rapeville literally paints over their past mistakes and offers basically no apologies or reparations. this is completely acceptable to the world at large.

this escalates until an awkward technocrat literally asks these kids to die for them, would you kindly, and confront alone a mammoth terror because it's easier than orchestrating a real response at large. then when these kids somehow, in fact, manage to literally die, go to what could easily be construed as a hellscape, and return, everyone basically just goes "oh cool, well, welcome home" without the slightest bit of acknowledgement on how insanely hosed up their perception must be after all of that.

i literally know a literature graduate student who tried to get away with writing his dissertation on this poo poo but it got shot down because earthbound isn't exactly universally acclaimed as high literature.

Lastgirl posted:

and lots and lots of nihilism at various points in the game
when those dragon motherfuckers hurt Whale i bellowed into my mic "THAT'S IT, EVERYTHING DIES." and ignored my teammates the rest of the level to solo them all

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Coolguye posted:

there's a handful of games that provide 'great' experiences in this vein, one of them being

earthbound is one of those games that seems really simple if you just play it, but it gets more and more hosed up the more you think about it. ness and his buddies are thrown into insanely hosed up situations and nobody bothers even acknowledging their situation. the most egregious one is the entire paula affair, where her parents don't even realize she's gone until a total stranger comes by and starts asking questions. they then give up entirely, the total stranger has to track her down to cult rapeville usa. then after the stranger confronts the cult leader, he basically goes "oh no this evil piece of mammon corrupted me" and rapeville literally paints over their past mistakes and offers basically no apologies or reparations. this is completely acceptable to the world at large.

this escalates until an awkward technocrat literally asks these kids to die for them, would you kindly, and confront alone a mammoth terror because it's easier than orchestrating a real response at large. then when these kids somehow, in fact, manage to literally die, go to what could easily be construed as a hellscape, and return, everyone basically just goes "oh cool, well, welcome home" without the slightest bit of acknowledgement on how insanely hosed up their perception must be after all of that.

i literally know a literature graduate student who tried to get away with writing his dissertation on this poo poo but it got shot down because earthbound isn't exactly universally acclaimed as high literature.

and lots and lots of nihilism at various points in the game
when those dragon motherfuckers hurt Whale i bellowed into my mic "THAT'S IT, EVERYTHING DIES." and ignored my teammates the rest of the level to solo them all

earthbound is great but it's definitely not because 'this cartoon-y light hearted world is actually super hosed up :twisted:'

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

earthbound is great but it's definitely not because 'this cartoon-y light hearted world is actually super hosed up :twisted:'

that isn't what i was directly referring to. the world is insanely hosed up, i'm not sure how anyone could see otherwise, but the commentary lies in the different perspective it's all played from because you're effectively a pack of kids who don't know any better. the way kids perceive cruelties and unfairness is long known to be really screwy, and earthbound offers a weird dramatization of it same way yeah, sure, bureaucracies are known to be inhuman and hosed up, but catch-22 brings that home in a dozen different ways.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Coolguye posted:

that isn't what i was directly referring to. the world is insanely hosed up, i'm not sure how anyone could see otherwise, but the commentary lies in the different perspective it's all played from because you're effectively a pack of kids who don't know any better. the way kids perceive cruelties and unfairness is long known to be really screwy, and earthbound offers a weird dramatization of it same way yeah, sure, bureaucracies are known to be inhuman and hosed up, but catch-22 brings that home in a dozen different ways.

okay this is a better explanation of what you were getting at

that first post kinda reeked of tv tropes-y 'actually these cartoons for children are super dark if you imagine them happening irl' (and phrases like 'rapeville usa' weren't really helping there)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

disjoe posted:

you aren't talking about dark souls enough

must not be a true dark souls fan

got a new computer a couple months back, forgot to back up my saves, and so still haven't played the ringed city. my shame is palpable. just beat oceiros on a new character though, almost there :getin:

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
i don't replay games too often but i've played cave story more times than i can remember, the only other games i've played as much is mgs3

started night in the woods a few days ago, i'm liking it so far but i have a feeling it's going to go off the rails and end really badly

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I've played Ocarina of Time so many times I could probably get from the beginning of the game to the end of the Deku Tree blindfolded

so now you all know that

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My most replayed game is probably Resident Evil 4 and when I replayed it again last year it was sad/hilarious how the lines that were supposed to reference Iraq War II are still relevant today.

:cthulhu: "No longer will the United States think they can police the world forever!"

:911:"This is no ritual. It's terrorism!"
:drac:"Isn't that a popular word these days?"

Game still loving rules though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ness getting ambushed by cops is hosed up because it's definitely a thing that happens irl. earthbound is based on an idealized vision of america but it's still flawed

also the happy-happy cult isn't a rape cult, it's based off the KKK. they even added a poofy thing to the end of the cultist enemy sprite because they'd look too much like a klansman otherwise

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah that was supposed to be colloquial not literal. the whole kidnapping prepubescent girls thing just made the dumb joke a gimme to make.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Playing Salt & Sanctuary. Cool and good 2d indie ripoff of Souls

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I started replaying Ocarina of Time on the 3DS and made it to the Water Temple and gently caress even with the touch screen for the boots I'm still missing a single loving key and having to backtrack with raising and lowering the water is a pain in the rear end so I just shut it off and took a nap

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
PLayin' steel division, wreckin' panthers.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cant find a complete LP/stream of Prey that isn't played by a screeching idiot, what a shame

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
some of the twitch guys aren't bad

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Panzeh posted:

PLayin' steel division, wreckin' panthers.

I need to get this but I was poo poo garbage at Wargame

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I need to get this but I was poo poo garbage at Wargame

I think I would be pretty good at Wargame if I did speed instead of smoking weed.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Good soup! posted:

I started replaying Ocarina of Time on the 3DS and made it to the Water Temple and gently caress even with the touch screen for the boots I'm still missing a single loving key and having to backtrack with raising and lowering the water is a pain in the rear end so I just shut it off and took a nap

It's the one in the central tower room underneath the platform that floats up when you raise the water level, it always is.

Been playing Rainbow Six Siege with my friends lately and they got mad when I remarked that I wished they made terrorists to play as instead of it always being counter-terrorists versus counter-terrorists.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FactsAreUseless posted:

Top 5:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 9
Super Mario World/Super Mario Bros 3 (tied)
Dark Souls
Deus Ex

play persona 5

hillary and bernie are in it! you fight hillary! she vince fosters a bunch of people!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Condiv posted:

play persona 5

hillary and bernie are in it! you fight hillary! she vince fosters a bunch of people!
I've never played a Persona or SMT game. :negative:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never played a Persona or SMT game. :negative:

you should rectify this with persona 5 it's a very good game and you don't need to play the others to know what's going on

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Condiv posted:

you should rectify this with persona 5 it's a very good game and you don't need to play the others to know what's going on
I bought SMT IV on the 3DS but haven't played it yet, and also Persona Q, which I don't know a thing about but it looked cute.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

FactsAreUseless posted:

I bought SMT IV on the 3DS but haven't played it yet, and also Persona Q, which I don't know a thing about but it looked cute.

smt iv is generally considered hard for a jrpg. there are times when you'll be going along and a bad rash of luck will turn a normally survivable encounter into you getting brutally murdered. save often!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

LISA was super good and is a super accurate look into the mind of trump voters

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Agean90 posted:

LISA was super good and is a super accurate look into the mind of trump voters

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i liked persona 4 a lot too, had the cool sense of an urban legend that was slowly spiraling out of control

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Verdun is pretty fun if you've ever wanted to play an FPS based on trench warfare. During the holiday season, it has a Christmas truce mode where you run around throwing snowballs at other players among other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Terror Sweat posted:

What's a good squad based tactics rpg. I've probably played most of the major ones
You ever play Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy or Mechcommander 2?

• Locked thread