Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Agean90 posted:

LISA was super good and is a super accurate look into the mind of trump voters
also a look into the future of america and the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

jBrereton posted:

You ever play Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy or Mechcommander 2?

ill check em out, right now im playing battle brothers

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
They're both quality although suffer from early 2000s "we can make a big map so we did"-itis a bit like Ground Control which I also recommend the flip out of (although I'm sure you've played it) and Homeworld: Cataclysm.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

get that OUT of my face posted:

also a look into the future of america and the world

unplanned parenthood

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I bought prey cuz Arkane is an Austin company and ~i support local business~ and it's good. It's Bioshock but aliens and amnesia. Kind of short for 60 bucks but if that won't bankrupt you I'd get it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Scionix posted:

I bought prey cuz Arkane is an Austin company and ~i support local business~ and it's good. It's Bioshock but aliens and amnesia. Kind of short for 60 bucks but if that won't bankrupt you I'd get it.

i was hoping that it was gonna be that prey sequel about being a bounty hunter in an open world cyberpunk alien city, but i guess we dont get nice things

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scionix posted:

Bioshock is trash. However, Arkane makes good games.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bioshock is trash.

I'm making the jrrkoff motion, in the air, at you,

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the first bioshock is good because while it's trying to be an over the top parody of randian libertarianism it's completely accurate on how a society like rapture would function

then kevin levine decided that he would make games about how minorities are the real racists

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scionix posted:

I'm making the jrrkoff motion, in the air, at you,
It's terrible. It isn't good. Its core gameplay is weak, its plot is stupid, its themes are shallow. It has good art direction, but that's not a replacement for being a good game.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Zikan posted:

the first bioshock is good because while it's trying to be an over the top parody of randian libertarianism it's completely accurate on how a society like rapture would function

then kevin levine decided that he would make games about how minorities are the real racists

bioshock is pretty bad

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i bet bioshock would be pretty cool in vr

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Levine la vida loca

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Al! posted:

i bet bioshock would be pretty cool in vr
FPS games generally aren't as fun in VR as you'd think. The ones that work are things like Resident Evil 7, which slow the action down a bit so it's immersive and atmospheric without being nauseating. The things I've liked best on the PSVR are interesting sensory experiences (Thumper, Rez: Infinite), neat little puzzle/interactive space things like Tumble, Gnog, and Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, or just dumb wave-your-arms-around games like Fruit Ninja or Holoball. But I haven't had a chance to play Dirt in VR yet, and I'm hearing that's killer, so there's clearly room for more action games. I just haven't been hugely impressed with the FPS-ish stuff I've tried, but maybe Farpoint will change that if I ever get it.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

horror games and even games that are somewhat scary are apparently incredibly not fun terrifying in vr since the immediacy of it short circuits all of the defenses your brain has against getting too scared when viewing media

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
speaking of Ken Levine, if they made Freedom Force insanely piss easy and first person I'm sure that could be diverting as a power fantasy VR game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zikan posted:

horror games and even games that are somewhat scary are apparently incredibly not fun terrifying in vr since the immediacy of it short circuits all of the defenses your brain has against getting too scared when viewing media
Nah, they're great. Some people just don't like them. I love RE7 and Rush Of Blood, although the latter is more of a goofy carnival haunted house. But a lot of VR horror games are just terrible shovelware like Here They Lie.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ya that makes sense

i dont have the money to buy into vr but i want to, if only so i can do weird little projects that only i will see. usually im like a generation or two behind the times

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What VR really needs is less horror/FPS/flight sim and more puzzle/rhythm/exploration/interaction stuff. There's a lot of fascinating things you can do in VR, but so far companies just keep trying to port the same poo poo we've seen a million times.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

What VR really needs is less horror/FPS/flight sim and more puzzle/rhythm/exploration/interaction stuff. There's a lot of fascinating things you can do in VR, but so far companies just keep trying to port the same poo poo we've seen a million times.

an idea ive had for a long time is a series of small fictional interpretive centers like the wpa & ccc used to build placed in weird alien landscapes and fictional settings and i think it would be fukkin rad in vr

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Al! posted:

an idea ive had for a long time is a series of small fictional interpretive centers like the wpa & ccc used to build placed in weird alien landscapes and fictional settings and i think it would be fukkin rad in vr
You can't do anything that requires a lot of text and fine detail yet. VR is best when it's colorful and simple, because super-detailed doesn't translate well to the low-res world of VR. RE7 is interesting because the VR mode cuts a bunch of details out to make it look better in VR. This seems like it would work in five or ten years though, whenever VR headsets start being able to do that.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Deadnauts VR might be good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

One reason a lot of VR poo poo sucks right now is that some companies haven't figured this out. I enjoy the VR version of Pinball FX, because VR can feel very physical (hence why Tumble is so fun - it really feels like you're stacking blocks) but they didn't simplify the tables for VR and you can't read any of the text.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Like the game is all about an incredibly bad interface and difficult to understand interaction while trying to do a relatively complex task, which sort of suits VR

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

bioshock is pretty bad

Bioshock 1 was an "it's ok if you can get it heavily discounted" kind of bad. Bioshock Infinite is a poo poo game I regret buying after hearing people rave about it all launch week.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Bioshock 1 is a great game and u can all tug my little weiner would you kindly

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

super sweet best pal posted:

Bioshock 1 was an "it's ok if you can get it heavily discounted" kind of bad. Bioshock Infinite is a poo poo game I regret buying after hearing people rave about it all launch week.

i had a lot of fun with infinite but i watched zero prerelease anything so i had no feelings on what was going to be in it, and gave straight up on the game having any kind of message worth listening to when i walked into the first area of Sky Mormon Central and saw massive statues of the founding fathers in roman togas. that roman depiction was common back during the revolution era, because artists were trying to suck off the original republics, but it was a style both Washington and Franklin LOATHED. so i immediately just went "fine, gotcha, sky mormons are massive hypocrites, thanks for bashing me in the face with that i'm gonna stop listening to your preaching forever now."

when you boil down the game to crunching motherfuckers from a skyhook and blasting sky mormons in the face with a cloudpunk shotgun it's worth a sale price. but to get there i was ignoring a good half of the game, so

jBrereton posted:

Deadnauts VR might be good
can't imagine how it'd be any different since the game itself is played almost entirely from one screen

i'd like the poo poo out of a VR LA noire though, sans their dumb street crime portions

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

is the witness too fine detailed for vr???? cuz that seems like itd be really good if not

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

can't imagine how it'd be any different since the game itself is played almost entirely from one screen
um it would be on your face m8 and it would prob introduce it to new people

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Al! posted:

is the witness too fine detailed for vr???? cuz that seems like itd be really good if not
Haven't played it yet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

i'd like the poo poo out of a VR LA noire though, sans their dumb street crime portions
A VR forensics game would be good. The lovely ripoff Batman VR game's best moments were doing forensic stuff.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Where is Life & Death 2: The Brain VR

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Was Wolfenstein Old Blood good? The New Order fuckin rocked but I never got around to the DLC

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
guacamelee is pretty fun so far

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

that makes me think a vagrant story port might work well for it, it had puzzles and slowed down combat

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
magaboy

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I played this game years ago called Shattered Horizon that was probably the only game I've ever seen that even attempts to get zero-gravity FPS correct and while it was super cool and incredibly beautiful for a game from 2009 it was basically a tech demo and didn't have anything but team deathmatch multiplayer with a single weapon for years

as far as I know it's the only real zero gravity space-shooter aside from a few quick segments in dead space and I can't imagine why because it's really fun

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The game that Starsiege: Tribes came with way back in the dim and distant past certainly had zero gravity FPS "bits" IIRC, like whole levels in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Was Wolfenstein Old Blood good? The New Order fuckin rocked but I never got around to the DLC

its better than the base game

• Locked thread