Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

my favorite games are the kind where the underlying systems and mechanics are deep enough that you can play the game in 100 different ways and still get enjoyment out of it, even if the story is fairly linear or predictable. stuff like FFV, Baldur's Gate, F:NV, the Souls series, Pillars of Eternity, etc. are compelling to me because you can come up with all kinds of self-imposed challenges or weird builds and then actually beat the game with them and have fun doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

my favorite games are the kind where the underlying systems and mechanics are deep enough that you can play the game in 100 different ways and still get enjoyment out of it, even if the story is fairly linear or predictable. stuff like FFV, Baldur's Gate, F:NV, the Souls series, Pillars of Eternity, etc. are compelling to me because you can come up with all kinds of self-imposed challenges or weird builds and then actually beat the game with them and have fun doing it.
deep systems and mechanics

fallout: new vegas

:confused:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i am the last person on earth to play witcher 3 and it is so goddamned good i literally have trouble believing it as i poke through.

there is no way walking across that bridge to your first major urban area in the game after hours and hours of wilderness murderhobo wandering is not a very specific dig at bioware and how far that company has fallen since bg1/2

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol "deep systems and mechanics"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

i am the last person on earth to play witcher 3 and it is so goddamned good i literally have trouble believing it as i poke through.

there is no way walking across that bridge to your first major urban area in the game after hours and hours of wilderness murderhobo wandering is not a very specific dig at bioware and how far that company has fallen since bg1/2

I've been playing this loving game off and on for like a year and just recently actually finished the main story and still haven't finished the expansions. It's​ absolutely enormous and all of the content is very well written and worth doing (unlike most recent open world games)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I like games with a lot of customization too but I wish there were more games where dabbling in lots of different things was a viable strategy. It seems like most games want you to specialize in one or two things, while I probably put more value into versatility than it deserves. Been playing Bravely Default (the first one) on and off for a while and I like it a lot but don't like how long it takes to start getting abilities that are actually cool, or that can be mixed and matched it clever ways.

Willie Tomg posted:

I haven't played it :negative:

I'm not sure what's a more embarrassing list at this point- the movies I haven't seen, or the games I haven't played. I guess it depends on who's asking.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

it loving rules

bioware: here's our major setpiece city hub there's a rich neighborhood and a poor one!

cd projekt red: the city is the hub and also all of the spokes

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Just lmao at AAA devs getting btfo by like 12 polish dudes in a basement. One of the developers also clowned Arthur geis on Twitter which is lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i dont really think any of any of the bioware/obsidian/inexile games as having deep systems or mechanics. or really most rpgs come to think of it, they for the most part seem like clunky adaptations of systems that work great when you have a human there who is able to judge the crazy poo poo you want to try with the climbing skill or whatever, whereas skills and the like in those games tend to be more of a choose your own adventure type deal with rolls or ability checks.

when i think of deep gameplay systems i think of poo poo like the thief games or the system shock games or deus ex or metal gear solid, basically games that take more of a simulation approach to the way they design their games where objects and actors interact with each other via semi-obscure rules and your job as the player is to determine the underlying forces behind those rules, because those are the kinds of games where something unexpected is far more likely to happen to you and generate an interesting story.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Al! posted:

i dont really think any of any of the bioware/obsidian/inexile games as having deep systems or mechanics. or really most rpgs come to think of it, they for the most part seem like clunky adaptations of systems that work great when you have a human there who is able to judge the crazy poo poo you want to try with the climbing skill or whatever, whereas skills and the like in those games tend to be more of a choose your own adventure type deal with rolls or ability checks.

when i think of deep gameplay systems i think of poo poo like the thief games or the system shock games or deus ex or metal gear solid, basically games that take more of a simulation approach to the way they design their games where objects and actors interact with each other via semi-obscure rules and your job as the player is to determine the underlying forces behind those rules, because those are the kinds of games where something unexpected is far more likely to happen to you and generate an interesting story.

that plant girl in mgsv phantom pain really freaks me the hell out. especially when she's drinking *shudder*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Turns out "depth" in mechanics is a fake idea. Lots of great games have simple mechanics that are just used well.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I like shooting Nazis

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Turns out "depth" in mechanics is a fake idea. Lots of great games have simple mechanics that are just used well.

its ok for diff games 2 do diff things ya

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

persona 5 is very deep cause it really makes me think every time i summon satan from my soul

i mean, what does that say about my character?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Maybe "mechanics" isn't the right way to describe it, but surely F:NV's branching story and the many ways the player can navigate it count as "depth" somehow. Never did Honest Hearts, been thinking about replaying it...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i dont have any interest in playing persona 5 myself but i do want to see those two giant bomb guys play through it like they did with persona 4

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thinking about it more, "depth" is kind of meaninglessly qualitative, since basically diff people have diff tastes but probably most people want to believe that their tastes require "depth"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

nier automata has like 26 endings

i once got a game over cause i ate a fish and apparently androids and fishes don't mix

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Al! posted:

thinking about it more, "depth" is kind of meaninglessly qualitative, since basically diff people have diff tastes but probably most people want to believe that their tastes require "depth"
Also depth can come from exploring simple mechanics: Pac-Man, Puyo Puyo, basically any of the score-based games.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also depth can come from exploring simple mechanics: Pac-Man, Puyo Puyo, basically any of the score-based games.

pacman ghost psychology

pacman's cruise elroy phenomenon

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Condiv posted:

http://www.webpacman.com/ghosts.html

Pac-Man is insanely good.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Condiv posted:

pacman ghost psychology

this reminds me of the way they set up item drops in zelda:

http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/loz/generalknowledge/item-drops-chart

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

Maybe "mechanics" isn't the right way to describe it, but surely F:NV's branching story and the many ways the player can navigate it count as "depth" somehow. Never did Honest Hearts, been thinking about replaying it...

tbh(onest) honest hearts is the most skippable

i can see what the devs were going for but outside of the mummyman and the datalogs there's not really much interesting stuff going on there

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Baloogan posted:

lol "deep systems and mechanics"

hot take: a system is only as deep as it is understandable

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

honest hearts owns joshua graham is the best

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

hot take: a system is only as deep as it is understandable

Even if I can't swim, the deep end of the pool is still deep.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Fullhouse posted:

I've been playing this loving game off and on for like a year and just recently actually finished the main story and still haven't finished the expansions. It's​ absolutely enormous and all of the content is very well written and worth doing (unlike most recent open world games)

It's probably the only game that has a real sense of closure and a really satisfying ending. Make sure you end with blood and wine. I was sad when I beat the main game but really satisfied after blood and wine. I'm fine with there never being another Witcher game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

It's probably the only game that has a real sense of closure and a really satisfying ending.
False

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
anyone like ape escape?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Darkman Fanpage posted:

anyone like ape escape?

gently caress yes homie, all 3 were good in their own ways.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Darkman Fanpage posted:

anyone like ape escape?

i hated that loose end where it turns out the apes were a lalilulelo experiment

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pac-Man is insanely good.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is the best Pac-Man game made to date, and probably better than anything they'll do in future

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Stabbatical posted:

Ms. Pac-Man is the best Pac-Man game made to date, and probably better than anything they'll do in future

ftfy :smug:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

FactsAreUseless posted:

deep systems and mechanics

fallout: new vegas

:confused:

unless you're just taking offense to the way I used the words systems and mechanics, I think F:NV has sufficient diversity in the ways in which you can approach the game from a character build perspective, as well as enough branching plots and alternate ways to complete quests, such that it would qualify. for me, the quest structure of that game is its own system, even if it isn't literally just a mechanism for adding integers and spitting out numbers. you can still successfully complete the game by killing literally every NPC in the game world, plot important armor doesn't exist, no gods no masters no house no caesar

I also completely forgot to include the original FF:T in my post because holy moly can you do crazy stuff with that game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stabbatical posted:

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is the best Pac-Man game made to date, and probably better than anything they'll do in future
CE2 is pretty underrated but it's super obtuse in ways that I think just made a lot of players quit.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

unless you're just taking offense to the way I used the words systems and mechanics, I think F:NV has sufficient diversity in the ways in which you can approach the game from a character build perspective, as well as enough branching plots and alternate ways to complete quests, such that it would qualify. for me, the quest structure of that game is its own system, even if it isn't literally just a mechanism for adding integers and spitting out numbers. you can still successfully complete the game by killing literally every NPC in the game world, plot important armor doesn't exist, no gods no masters no house no caesar

I also completely forgot to include the original FF:T in my post because holy moly can you do crazy stuff with that game

the archer SCC was cool because you had to plan stuff pretty carefully, but the all-mediator one was tedious as gently caress just spamming the 12% invites and rebooting if you missed too many. i gave up quick on that one. all wizards was fun and easy, nuking everything. thats all i tried

did you ever do the downlevel/uplevel tricks to super buff stats? i did it once to try but there's no need to min/max that much since the game is only hard at the end id you limit yourself

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the most fun way to play FFT is an all-lancer SCC and i'll stand by this forever

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Okay, so back when I said I was playing Nier: Automata and having fun, I meant "I'm playing the tutorial level of Nier: automata, and having fun." To expand on that, I mean "I've tried to beat the first boss three times and failed each time", and you have to play the entire tutorial over again because saves are disabled.

I have not Played a video game in four years until now. :(

Mywhatacleanturtle has issued a correction as of 08:33 on May 12, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Okay, so back when I said I was playing Nier: Automata and having fun, I meant "I'm playing the tutorial level of Nier: automata, and having fun." To expand on that, I mean "I've tried to beat the first boss three times and failed each time", and you have to play the entire tutorial over again because saves are disabled.

I have not aged a. Ideo game in four years until now. :(

are you playing on hard mode? i keep having that trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

CE2 is pretty underrated but it's super obtuse in ways that I think just made a lot of players quit.

I didn't even know there was a CE2, just looked it up. Looks like it'd be fun and gimmicky

• Locked thread