Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

PureEvil6_13 posted:

WOLFMAN DON'T HAVE NARDS!!!

How much time do wolfmen spend licking their nards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

that weird guy I saw in the men's room

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

I approve this development.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Excellent

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Thanks for the laugh friend

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Well, that's just disrespectful.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 22, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Requesting a Resident Evil 4 Casca, featuring Barry Sadler as Lord Saddler.

gamey
May 17, 2009
adam sandler is the fall of humanity

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
How do these books rate when compared to the Flashman books? Because those are cool as heck.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

he looks like neo from the matrix doing a jim face

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

de_dust posted:

How do these books rate when compared to the Flashman books? Because those are cool as heck.

It's been a long time, but IIRC nowhere remotely near as cool as the Flashman books.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Xotl posted:

It's been a long time, but IIRC nowhere remotely near as cool as the Flashman books.

Aww drat.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

This is still stickied?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

It is hard to make the text not awful.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Gonna goldmine it when it's truly done, don't wanna forget about it. If you want to PM me when it's done I'll unsticky it and it will be in your hands!!!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Malachi Constant posted:

This is still stickied?

it should be stickied until our vengeful god allows casca to rest in eternal peace

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Gonna goldmine it when it's truly done, don't wanna forget about it. If you want to PM me when it's done I'll unsticky it and it will be in your hands!!!

Gosh, I can't wait!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

now this is what I show up for

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Casca sighed as he pieced his brain back together.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Okay this is still here, so before it goes away I thought I'd give you an idea of the actual Casca books as a cis white guy since some people have expressed an interest in reading them.

First, women are one of three things in these books. Either a whore, a beautiful princess, or something approaching a man. Women are routinely raped, and in at least one memorable scene the woman is raped by a friend of our hero but initially resists, then start enjoying the rape. The whores are generally not judged harshly when they are individual characters, but are broadly dismissed as a class. They get killed a lot, too.

There is tons of violence, of course. There are many scenes of people dying in the rage of battle in horrible ways. Men and women's genitals are cut off and out, swords are thrust into mouths, heads are crushed, and so on. All described in loving detail.

Race is problematic. Black people are pretty much always described as savages who worship animal gods and eat human flesh. Asians are randomly violent except for the "good ones" who teach Casca martial arts or offer wise council to leaders. The books stay away from the modern USA, but still the 1st century Italian Casca manages to pass for an American during the Vietnam war. (Surely he learned English from the proto-British?)

Good guys always win and bad guys always die, except when the good guy loses his "woman" or the bad guy's bad-guy-ness is emphasized by how he kills innocent people Casca is sworn to protect.

Here's the good things.

The history is reasonably accurate, though there are common errors and some ignorant/racist stuff. Learn history elsewhere so you can spot the errors.

Casca generally despises all the gods and priests he finds in whatever land he is in. (Even being forced to live forever hasn't convinced this skeptic!) The good parts of the various religions are pointed out along with their bad parts, including Christianity. He generally finds all of them an impediment and destructive to their civilization.

Casca generally wants people to live peacefully. Whenever he's in a position of power (King of a German region, God of a central american culture, advisor to Genghis Khan) he does his best to create a peaceful culture who don't want to attack other people, just live and raise families in peace.

If you're an undergrad or a documentary-maker you'll find fruitful substance in Barry Sadler's novels. A soldier who was in Vietnam who hates war but writes about gruesome deaths and peaceful societies? Wunderbar!

Oh, and the pretty pictures everyone made were lovely. Leagues above mine.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Malachi Constant posted:

First, women are one of three things in these books. Either a whore, a beautiful princess, or something approaching a man.

That's two more things than in a Frank Miller graphic novel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Malachi Constant posted:

Okay this is still here, so before it goes away I thought I'd give you an idea of the actual Casca books as a cis white guy since some people have expressed an interest in reading them.

First, women are one of three things in these books. Either a whore, a beautiful princess, or something approaching a man. Women are routinely raped, and in at least one memorable scene the woman is raped by a friend of our hero but initially resists, then start enjoying the rape. The whores are generally not judged harshly when they are individual characters, but are broadly dismissed as a class. They get killed a lot, too.

There is tons of violence, of course. There are many scenes of people dying in the rage of battle in horrible ways. Men and women's genitals are cut off and out, swords are thrust into mouths, heads are crushed, and so on. All described in loving detail.

Race is problematic. Black people are pretty much always described as savages who worship animal gods and eat human flesh. Asians are randomly violent except for the "good ones" who teach Casca martial arts or offer wise council to leaders. The books stay away from the modern USA, but still the 1st century Italian Casca manages to pass for an American during the Vietnam war. (Surely he learned English from the proto-British?)

Good guys always win and bad guys always die, except when the good guy loses his "woman" or the bad guy's bad-guy-ness is emphasized by how he kills innocent people Casca is sworn to protect.

Here's the good things.

The history is reasonably accurate, though there are common errors and some ignorant/racist stuff. Learn history elsewhere so you can spot the errors.

Casca generally despises all the gods and priests he finds in whatever land he is in. (Even being forced to live forever hasn't convinced this skeptic!) The good parts of the various religions are pointed out along with their bad parts, including Christianity. He generally finds all of them an impediment and destructive to their civilization.

Casca generally wants people to live peacefully. Whenever he's in a position of power (King of a German region, God of a central american culture, advisor to Genghis Khan) he does his best to create a peaceful culture who don't want to attack other people, just live and raise families in peace.

If you're an undergrad or a documentary-maker you'll find fruitful substance in Barry Sadler's novels. A soldier who was in Vietnam who hates war but writes about gruesome deaths and peaceful societies? Wunderbar!

Oh, and the pretty pictures everyone made were lovely. Leagues above mine.

I mean show me a white american vet in the 70s/80s who wouldn't predictably write with these problematic issues plaguing his work.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Before I really decide whether to read the books, I'd like to hear some opinions from non-binary people of colour.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I mean show me a white american vet in the 70s/80s who wouldn't predictably write with these problematic issues plaguing his work.

Yes, and...?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

And it's incredible with the way your country (presuming you're from the US) treats its veterans that he was able to survive long enough to publish all these books.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

Before I really decide whether to read the books, I'd like to hear some opinions from non-binary people of colour.

hell, i liked 'em

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
op, are these books in your opinion better than sven hassel's and does your dad read them too?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hogge Wild posted:

hell, i liked 'em

Thank you. Now I will not only read them, I will also enjoy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

I admit, I waited way too long to see him 'blink'.

• Locked thread