Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

This is all very fascinating. I admit that I give loose change (I have a lot of pennies and dimes) out to pretty much anyone who asks for money and chat for as long as the light allows. I'll try instead to have a conversation first and ask them if they're doing all right. I suppose a person holding a sign is asking for an undocumentable donation, but someone who tells me to my face that they need the money is literally begging me directly.

Please let me know what are the causes of the homelessness that you've witnessed up close. If you could have n number of wishes to end involuntary homelessness/poverty permanently everywhere, what would you try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Pohl posted:

I have a Sociology degree, so I understand how lovely this sounds. There are in fact, a large number of people that don't want to live in our society. That should be ok, but we can't let them starve or lose their teeth, etc. We really need to find a solution to this beyond everyone works poo poo minimum wage jobs.

If anything, these people refuse to do minimum wage work. They know their worth and refuse to be wage slaves.

Thank you. This sounds accurate to me, and you draw an important distinction between the non-working and the poor, working wage slaves. I have a million more questions I want to ask, if you please.

What sorts of mental illnesses have you encountered, and what role did they play in whether a person sought help or not?

What's best at fighting addictions? If society really cared about riding addictions, what should we be doing differently?

Do you have any stories about the role the family played in the individual's homelessness? I'm inclined to believe that a person does not leave a happy home because they prefer homelessness, and rather that a person flees a home that is unstable or abusive. But is that not the case? Are there family members that are willing and able to help the homeless person, but the person refuses for a valid reason? Why?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I really appreciate your answers. I don't expect a perfect response to any question.

Pohl posted:

-People gently caress up so much their family won't help them anymore, or; they hate their family so much they won't ask them for help. This is the big dilemma, when family isn't available to bail someone out of the trouble they have found themselves in. No one else is going to help them, certainly, so what do we do with them? Do we just feed, clothes and house them until they die?

My gut reaction is that we owe everyone at least that much. It's the cost the dominant society should pay for monopolizing the abundance of the country. Those who've gained the most by the setup have the greatest responsibility to those least enfranchised.

Beyond just food, clothes, and shelter (which can be provided through fiscal management), I think we're also obligated and able to offer the next rung up on the hierarchy of needs: love and belonging. And like a progressive fiscal tax, those most loved owe the most to those least loved. Your answers inspire me to look into spending more time around shelters. I shitpost enough here. I think I shall go over there and talkshit.

• Locked thread