Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Hope you don't mind some thread-hoppers. The lay of the land is vastly different depending on local services, so my answers might be different than OPs.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

This is a good thread OP.
Would you say that addiction and homelessness got worse in the last decade?
I'm not a US resident so I'm not sure just how bad it is, aside from the overdose deaths.

It's definitely worse in British Columbia. When I was doing homelessness/additions outreach a decade ago, fentanyl wasn't a problem--now it's killing people who aren't even on the street. I'm not working directly in that field any more, but 9/10 if I see a memorial post go up on FB, it was caused by fentanyl.

Fentanyl is a heavy duty painkiller that wasn't meant to be used outside of hospitals, but China started cranking it out for cheap, and now it's all over. It gets cut into everything because it's inexpensive and packs a punch. Problem is, the difference between getting high and dying of an opiate OD is so narrow that experienced users can mess it up--if they even know what they're dosing with. There's also carfentanil, which is ten thousand times stronger than morphine, and is even easier to OD with. Here's what a deadly dose can look like.

On the homelessness side of the equation, the housing crisis + inflation keeps pushing more at-risk people under water. I do disability advocacy now, and for a lot of our people, the line between housed/homeless is one bad week.

PurpleButterfly posted:

Here's a question for the professionals in this thread: What, if anything, should I give out to homeless folks at intersections through my car window? I am a conscientious person who would really like to be a part of the solution.

I haaaaate intersection panhandling, but I cave when it's obvious they're suffering to do it, or if I know them. In my city, able-bodied homeless folk can always find free snacks/sandwiches during the day, and dinner on weeknights. A lot of the panhandlers are saving for cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs--but also bus tickets, medication, or food. I usually don't give handouts (I'd rather donate directly to a shelter) but I always keep a stash of $5 Tim Hortons cards and bus tickets in my car. If there's a heatwave, sometimes freeze a flat of water bottles and give those out to anyone stuck outside. None of that solves things, though. Just makes someone's day a little less lovely.

I've started carrying a naloxone kit when I'm downtown. I don't expect to need it, but I'd rather stab a stranger with a needle than watch anyone else die that way. ODs send a big negative ripple through a community that struggles enough without more grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread