Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
42 y/o lawyer posting here. (I'm not a second career attorney, though. I went straight from college to law school.) I have some experience with "environmental law" in that I've helped defend a Clean Water Act lawsuit.

1. Unless you plan to take a bar exam and practice law for a living. DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL. If you want to work at a non-profit, go work for a non-profit. Unless you absolutely have to have a law degree to work for this non-profit DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL.

2. If you insist on going to law school (reconsider) go to the state law school in the state where you want to practice (Wisconsin in your case). You'll develop a network of contacts, you'll have something to talk about with other lawyers in the state, and you won't pay private tuition.

2a. If your circumstances were different, I'd say go to a T14 School if you can get in, but you aren't interested in Biglaw, and you'd need Biglaw money to pay T14 student loan debt.

3. Overall ranking is the only ranking that anybody really gives a poo poo about, and going to a well-recognized regional school is probably better than going to a somewhat higher-ranked school from outside your area.

CAVEAT: Vermont is supposed to be good for environmental law, and I've seen two real live practicing attorneys with degrees from Vermont. They were filing plaintiff's suits under the CWA, which is as close to "Environmental Law" as you'll get, and I live a long way from Vermont.

COUNTER CAVEAT: Both of these lawyers were women in their late 20's. Not old dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread