Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

whomupclicklike posted:

gently caress this "Protestant work ethic" horseshit I am Catholic and I am going to spend my day lighting really tall candles and eating wafers and I WILL be compensated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

akadajet posted:

Why do you have the lowtax avatar when you aren't lowtax?

:lol:

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i don't think you really get automation

there is no field of human labor that is safe from being automated

whatever the hell you do for a living, there's someone trying to figure out how to either get a machine to do it, or make a tool or program that makes labor more efficient so there's fewer people who need to do it

figuring out how to make labor more efficient has been the story of human history since it began

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

SpaceGoku posted:

whatever the hell you do for a living, there's someone trying to figure out how to either get a machine to do it, or make a tool or program that makes labor more efficient so there's fewer people who need to do it

figuring out how to make labor more efficient has been the story of human history since it began

yeah great but just because a field of work is oversubscribed doesn't mean it's automated hope this helps

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SpaceGoku posted:

I mean at work I spend some time writing software to optimize machinery. I also spend time writing software to optimize my own job. I mean this probably wont put me out of a job but I try to be more productive with less work that could theoretically make a new hire irrelevant.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

yeah great but just because a field of work is oversubscribed doesn't mean it's automated hope this helps

I didn't say it was

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

SpaceGoku posted:

also every field of art and entertainment is close to having an infinite amount of content from the viewpoint of the audience because so much of it is produced that one person can't realistically expect to experience all of it (or even most of it)

so it doesn't matter if the robots figure out how to paint or sing because we have so many people trying to do that those fields are in effect already automated

SpaceGoku posted:

I didn't say it was

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

you should uh

you should read what I actually wrote dude

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SpaceGoku posted:

no, we'll just have computers and machines (and some robots) multiplying and optimizing human labor more and more efficiently and we'll need fewer and fewer people employed

also every field of art and entertainment is close to having an infinite amount of content from the viewpoint of the audience because so much of it is produced that one person can't realistically expect to experience all of it (or even most of it)

so it doesn't matter if the robots figure out how to paint or sing because we have so many people trying to do that those fields are in effect already automated

Apparently Rivers Cuomo made an excel document to write new weezer songs but they all suck so I'm nut sure what that means.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Apparently Rivers Cuomo made an excel document to write new weezer songs but they all suck so I'm nut sure what that means.

I actually do think we're pretty close to getting automated music produced by neural networks for some genres

like with how repetitive and structured EDM poo poo is, a clever person with a good understanding of machine learning could probably get a neural network to produce music that's close to indistinguishable from human-made

but something like rap is, uh, obviously a lot further away

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
gonna drop my banging album made by a neural network i trained with a bunch of rihanna songs, right after i get beaten into a legal pulp by a bunch of copyright lawyers

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

anyway this is a dumbass derail

the whole point of having UBI is that it protects citizens against poo poo like automation or even unpredictable crap like popularity or market trends

if you work at the factory making skinny jeans and skinny jeans go out of style what's going to happen when you start selling 1/2 your previous volume of goods?

you need to cut down production to avoid sitting on too much surplus, but what then?

just have some of your workforce sitting around doing little-to-nothing while getting paid the same? at that point everyone would just be better off getting UBI and then the people who really want to make skinny jeans could start a coop venture to produce them at a worker-owned factory so they could all just agree that "yes, we will make fewer skinny jeans because there is less demand"

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

SpaceGoku posted:

anyway this is a dumbass derail

the whole point of having UBI is that it protects citizens against poo poo like automation or even unpredictable crap like popularity or market trends

if you work at the factory making skinny jeans and skinny jeans go out of style what's going to happen when you start selling 1/2 your previous volume of goods?

you need to cut down production to avoid sitting on too much surplus, but what then?

just have some of your workforce sitting around doing little-to-nothing while getting paid the same? at that point everyone would just be better off getting UBI and then the people who really want to make skinny jeans could start a coop venture to produce them at a worker-owned factory so they could all just agree that "yes, we will make fewer skinny jeans because there is less demand"

no, slave labor is the solution

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i think massive inflation is a good idea too tbh

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

that's the current argument against ubi

that if you drop money out of the sky, prices increase due to increased consumption which then leads to massive inflation

there is like a certain percent of employment that the government tries to avoid reaching, just to prevent inflation

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

5-10% per year would probably be a good rate. It would really help people with mortgages and student loans.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
if the united states implemented UBI it would lead to a global economic crisis so massive that people would beg for a return to the good times of 2009 as the dollar, the worlds reserve currency, would inflate to poo poo and crash everybody's savings

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if the united states implemented UBI it would lead to a global economic crisis so massive that people would beg for a return to the good times of 2009 as the dollar, the worlds reserve currency, would inflate to poo poo and crash everybody's savings

hmm not really probably

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Bip Roberts posted:

hmm not really probably

you know what the united states could get away with printing money for without the dollar going to poo poo? universal healthcare lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

you know what the united states could get away with printing money for without the dollar going to poo poo? universal healthcare lol

who said printing money? UBI is just an extra negative tax bracket.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

we wouldn't need to print money for uhc because uhc would be cheaper for the government than what we have now

it would be cheaper for the government than what we had before the aca

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
actually i changed my mind UBI would give lots of people who are bad with money quite a lot of money and even if some massively bad inflation happens i could probably make a profit just on that

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fansy posted:

We live in a society steeped in protestant work ethic. What's more likely to attract a majority of voters:

1) Guaranteed jobs for everyone
2) Universal basic income

In the Second Bill of Rights FDR proposed (among other things that would frighten today's liberals) that Americans should have:

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

Today, some post-keynesian economists are pushing for the same thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_guarantee

So why has the idea of UBI caught on with today's left (and libertarians) but not a job guarantee?

there's a reason why everyone says underwood's plan is stupid

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

you can reasonably have a job guarantee but you'd have to lower the workweek to 30 hours. obviously this would rule but it's unlikely to happen under capitalism which is why it's time to jam on the big red REVOLUTION button

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Mild predictable inflation is good for everyone except people who keep all their money under a mattress or in a scrooge mcduck style money bin

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

The poor don't have savings. Its why theyre poor! The middle class doesn't really have any notable savings either and usually a lot of debt. Crashing everybody's non existent savings while inflating away debt would be a massive boon for everyone except the ultra-rich, and frankly gently caress those guys (provided the inflation was reasonable, predictable, and wages inflated to keep track - super important caveats).

R. Guyovich posted:

you can reasonably have a job guarantee but you'd have to lower the workweek to 30 hours. obviously this would rule but it's unlikely to happen under capitalism which is why it's time to jam on the big red REVOLUTION button

I mean yeah for something like factory work where the lines never stop and you just hire another shift's worth of workers, but for basically everything else declaring a 30 hour work week doesn't really *do* much. More time off is nice though, I guess.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

The vast vast majority of work in the arts and entertainment fields has long since been automated and if you dont realize that I am not sure you have the slightest clue what automation is.

But most of that has been in the parts of those industries that actually employed people, not the creative parts.

But a lot of the creative parts are being automated as well, even though they are still heavily human guided. Not all automation is direct one for one replacement - in fact, much of it simlly lets one person do the work of ten in the same amount of time.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 06:01 on May 6, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Art still isnt as automated as programming though which is like 99% automated now and thank god.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

actually i changed my mind UBI would give lots of people who are bad with money quite a lot of money and even if some massively bad inflation happens i could probably make a profit just on that

Look at this classist dirt bag.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

oliwan posted:

Why are there still people who think that ubi = no one works anymore? If anything, research shows that people work more when they have ubi.

who's done work on this/could you link them? i'm legit curious about this. i was thinking about it back in january and, as menial jobs become more automated, i think there is a real free market argument for ubi - markets only work if there is wide scale participation. a 'market' of only a couple people doesn't produce any good returns. it could be argued that an increasingly automated economy is only actually viable with ubi so there's enough participation in the economy for it to be self-perpetuating.

wouldn't that be a shitter? a market-based, psuedo-libertarian argument for basic income?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Not a Step posted:

Mild predictable inflation is good for everyone except people who keep all their money under a mattress or in a scrooge mcduck style money bin

The poor don't have savings. Its why theyre poor! The middle class doesn't really have any notable savings either and usually a lot of debt. Crashing everybody's non existent savings while inflating away debt would be a massive boon for everyone except the ultra-rich, and frankly gently caress those guys (provided the inflation was reasonable, predictable, and wages inflated to keep track - super important caveats).

I mean yeah for something like factory work where the lines never stop and you just hire another shift's worth of workers, but for basically everything else declaring a 30 hour work week doesn't really *do* much. More time off is nice though, I guess.

there is the issue, the caveats

wages will not be inflated at rate due to sticky wages(employers failing to raise wages at pace), and while increased consumption will lead to increased employment, there is a trade off point where, employment will actually fall
as well as consumption due to the readjusting of prices

as employment falls people lose collective bargaining power as they attempt to reenter the workforce, leading to lower wages, while the market adjusts to the expectation that everyone has ubi

put simply, if workers don't seize the means of production, nothing gets done

be sure that the business classes will continue to screw people in every event, because the advantage is theirs to set the rules i.e. lowered wages, and higher prices, and lower employment to compensate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

walgreenslatino posted:

because work sucks

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Not a Step posted:

everybody with half a brain in eurasia keeps their savings in dollars and erasing their money would definitely not be a massive boon to the developing world at all and would probably lead to a bunch of people dying but hey at least it would get rid of your student debt, america first!!!

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

everybody with half a brain in eurasia keeps their savings in dollars and erasing their money would definitely not be a massive boon to the developing world at all and would probably lead to a bunch of people dying but hey at least it would get rid of your student debt, america first!!!

this already happens every few years because of capitalism anyway

it happened back in 2008

it's gonna happen again sometime soon

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

SpaceGoku posted:

this already happens every few years because of capitalism anyway

it happened back in 2008

it's gonna happen again sometime soon

"capitalism is not a perfect economic system that can transcend physical reality and provide for everyone, so anything i propose has to be better by definition" is certainly not a take we have ever heard before lol

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i really hate it when dumb poor people who aren't good with money (and we know they're not good with money, that's why they're still poor!) finally get some and then go spend it on dumb frivolous things

not like rich people, who spend it on juiceros and fyrefestival tickets

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

"capitalism is not a perfect economic system that can transcend physical reality and provide for everyone, so anything i propose has to be better by definition" is certainly not a take we have ever heard before lol

your argument against ubi is that "printing a bunch of money will destroy the global economy"

we did that back in 2009 and it didn't

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!
as someone who doesnt own any capital or investments i say bring on the massive inflation my dudes, help me pay off some of this debt

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!
oh no, not inflation i wouldnt want that:q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

SpaceGoku posted:

your argument against ubi is that "printing a bunch of money will destroy the global economy"

we did that back in 2009 and it didn't

no my argument is that printing a bunch of the worlds reserve currency and introducing it into super high-velocity circulation is going to wreck the global economy for some time

• Locked thread