Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Where did the communism touch you?

pretty much everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Corky Romanovsky posted:

The kids would probably get a UBI, too.

Okay but that doesn't alter the point that shared households typically have a lower cost per head than someone living alone and children have even less than adults. If you're determined to give everyone the same amount and (crucially) expect that amount to adequately provide for them then you have to acknowledge the inevitable massive variations between most of the populations need and the money they'd receive (both above and below) and prepare a political defence for it. Administrative savings might get you some of the way, the security and ease of knowing that that's the payment and that it is unconditionally universal a little further but so long as there's public perception of limited purse strings then the excess payments have to be justified and if the UBI is done to eliminate poverty entirely then any underpayments must be met with, I dunno, a sad shrug?

quote:

UBI will probably cause population redistribution, as you may not need to live in a city to get a job. Cash flow increase in rural areas would likely boost the local economies and make job opportunities there as well.

There should also be affordable housing initiatives to ensure accessibility to those only earning UBI.

I'm a big fan of abolishing the distinction between urban and rural life and telling landlords to git tae gently caress but it would take decades to reach a vaguely equilibrium level and you'd have to still justify the actual values all that time.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

pretty much everywhere

someone else had the same experience and they ended up creating a new moral philosophy that even luminaries such as the current speaker of the house adhere to in their life

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
One of the nice things about ubi is a decent but flat ubi will naturally encourage people to live where the cost of living is cheaper, enable them to move, and lower the difference between many high and low cost areas

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Except for the people that value benefits of high population density, like public transportation, more nearby doctors, audience for performance/art, etc.

I don't need to justify you getting salty over someone else's life choices leading to lower per capita household expenditures. What if someone grew their own food?!?!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

pretty much everywhere

Hot

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the communist doctor gently fondled my testicles, just in case

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Except for the people that value benefits of high population density, like public transportation, more nearby doctors, audience for performance/art, etc.

I don't need to justify you getting salty over someone else's life choices leading to lower per capita household expenditures. What if someone grew their own food?!?!

What the gently caress is this, lmao. Like I literally cannot even figure out what your point is or what you are trying to say. Can someone explain this to me, what it means and how it's relevant to what I said? (If it is...? I don't even know)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The point of UBI is it makes everyone better off than they were before and nobody worse off.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Barbe Rouge posted:

someone else had the same experience and they ended up creating a new moral philosophy that even luminaries such as the current speaker of the house adhere to in their life

lol he also likes to think he's christian too

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it is important to establish some kind of housing controls so that local developers don't just set prices to gently caress over people on basic income and end up with a big hoard of homeless people with money

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
you'll end up needing price controls for everything because every non idiot business owner will raise prices to adjust for the ubi implemented

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also hamburger prices will skyrocket if we raise the minimum wage

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If there's anything I learned it's that it's important to hold onto expensive empty space than fill it for less. I wish I was joking

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

realistically we needed stricter housing controls 30 years ago but better late than never

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

you'll end up needing price controls for everything because every non idiot business owner will raise prices to adjust for the ubi implemented

Do you also think that if we raise the minimum wage that prices will go up too?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

No need for controls mate.

Even if everything goes up by what the UBI covers, poorer people will be better off, the rest won't feel the difference.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Venom Snake posted:

Do you also think that if we raise the minimum wage that prices will go up too?

i mean apart from the fact that this is false equivalency bullshit, are we going to pretend itt that it's settled science that they do not? because heres a pretty respected labour affiliated source saying it depends

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

The point of UBI is it makes everyone better off than they were before and nobody worse off.

Anyone who values benefitting from locked in labour will probably be worse off.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i mean apart from the fact that this is false equivalency bullshit, are we going to pretend itt that it's settled science that they do not? because heres a pretty respected labour affiliated source saying it depends

i'm going to assume this is another link to a study that undermines your own point

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm going to assume this is another link to a study that undermines your own point

probably not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_Policies_Institute
The Employment Policies Institute is a fiscally conservative non-profit American think tank that conducts research on employment issues such as minimum wage and health care.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

In a typical implementation UBI replaces some aspects of social security instead of coming on top of it. The main advantages of UBI over unemployment benefit are:

- simplicity
- lack of welfare traps
- being deceit-proof

Since it replaces some but not all existing welfare systems, the problems are:

- someone will lose compared to current system
- discretionary benefits (such as housing) can still create welfare traps

Why do you believe UBI is free money from heaven? Unemployment benefits and other social systems like that have existed for quite a while now.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The fact that the essentials of live do not consume the entire income of the majority already and that no one essential takes all of the income from anyone shows that no one industry exists in a pure monopoly state. Your landlord is ripping you off but you still can afford just enough food to keep going after all. Injecting money and increasing the circulation of money to the very poorest will inevitably have an effect on prices, depending on the amount of competition that exists between it and substitutes (housing will always dominate and take a large share of any gains if it is allowed to because it's usually oligopolistic supply at best and extremely few will choose homelessness if they don't have to) but that's far from true for everything and it's equally false to assume that the only way to ensure that the policy ends up benefiting the poorest that receive it is to have strict price controls.

You have price controls because why the gently caress should anyone be able to charge far above cost of production, replenishment and necessary investment just because they can?

Hob_Gadling posted:

I've no idea why you think Venezuelan system is UBI

Don't think I did? Also price controls have a long and complicated history far beyond a South American authoritarian welfare state.

namesake has issued a correction as of 21:28 on May 22, 2017

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ubi is workable under the system of capitalism and guaranteed jobs simply aren't

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

I've no idea why you think Venezuelan system is UBI

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Barbe Rouge posted:

probably not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_Policies_Institute
The Employment Policies Institute is a fiscally conservative non-profit American think tank that conducts research on employment issues such as minimum wage and health care.

:chloe:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What's not to love about a monthly check that barely allows you to make ends meet, simultaneously allowing the rich to halt giving even lip service to their lessers?

Bringing my government cheese to my bombed out, fracked National Park that's being destroyed by climate change sure sure SOUNDS cool but then again, i dunno

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imma libertarian and i think the government owes me lots of money >_<

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

call to action posted:

What's not to love about a monthly check that barely allows you to make ends meet, simultaneously allowing the rich to halt giving even lip service to their lessers?

Bringing my government cheese to my bombed out, fracked National Park that's being destroyed by climate change sure sure SOUNDS cool but then again, i dunno

ahh, yes, the much appluaded theory of 'it's not a sure bet so let's do nothing'

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's not that I'm letting good be the enemy of perfect, more that completely ceding the power of people to deal with capital seems like a bad long term plan. I like the militant, union-style thing more than I like the "please, please take care of me Daddy Capitalist" thing

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

UBI would in theory massively increase the relative power of labor since they would no longer be completely beholden to their employer for basic survival

You could go on strike and still get paid and that's a huge game changer

this of course only applies to people that still choose to work but that will still be a pretty substantial majority of people I'd think

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

call to action posted:

What's not to love about absolutely nothing that doesn't allow you to make ends meet, simultaneously nothing of the rich who never gave even lip service to their lessers to begin with?

Bringing my absolutely nothing to my bombed out, fracked National Park that's being destroyed by climate change sure sure SOUNDS cool but then again, i dunno.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Not a Step posted:

What's not to love about absolutely nothing that doesn't allow you to make ends meet, simultaneously nothing of the rich who never gave even lip service to their lessers to begin with?

Bringing my absolutely nothing to my bombed out, fracked National Park that's being destroyed by climate change sure sure SOUNDS cool but then again, i dunno.

I'd rather see what people do when they have "absolutely nothing". A revolution would create a better result than begging capitalists to take care of us (and of course, why the gently caress would they when they could just machine gun us instead like they did in the past)

Like, do you ever wonder why labor ever got anything? It's because we impeded the ability of capitalists to earn money, not because we just said "pleeeeeease" really loudly.

And luckily, genuine threat of guillotines is the only thing that would ever bring about a UBI, so it sounds like we're on the same page.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

White Rock posted:

No need for controls mate.

Even if everything goes up by what the UBI covers, poorer people will be better off, the rest won't feel the difference.

there were price controls under nixon

if the govt is gonna subsidize capital they should be able to impose limits too

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

there were price controls under nixon

if the govt is gonna subsidize capital they should be able to impose limits too

Price controls is a horrible way to ensure access to basic goods though.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Besides housing which is in limited supply UBI wouldn't cause price increases.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
housing's price is so incredibly hosed up by so many different factors that it's not even worth talking about in a social welfare context. even bringing it up shows staggering ignorance of how deep that hosed up legislative rabbit hole goes.

the current tax code mammothly rewards people who own land in dozens of ways, be it as a tax write-off nexus for keeping "fallow farmland" in the middle of a suburb or just owning a large lot with a reasonably sized house. this artificially inflates the cost of housing, because in general the house is a depreciating liability on top of an appreciating asset (the land). zoning laws are rampantly used to keep prices of existing structures from falling, which penalizes everyone who does not currently own property. governments then are forced to fund 'affordable housing projects' to create new bottom-dollar housing in speculative districts or slums to try to hastily get some disenfranchised renters from voting them out of office and causing more chaos and pain in the overall housing system.

if you look at the fundamentals of building a home, there is absolutely no reason for a new construction house to be as expensive as a 30 year old home.

- are building materials more expensive? no; in fact, pretty much every material you can think of is cheaper nowadays, whether due to increased/more efficient production (woods, brick, sheet rock, etc - all good signs) or shoddier substitutes (many kinds of plaster and insulation - bad signs)
- is the actual construction more expensive? no; tooling has continued to improve and fewer workers can put together 10 houses faster than more workers could put together 10 houses in 1980. these inputs are markedly less expensive, not more.
- are the logistics more complicated? no; matter of fact it's a hundred times easier to get what you need to build a house to a site now vs 1980 due to the logistics revolutions that drove the 1990s economic expansions in retail seeping into other disciplines.
- is the land itself more expensive? no; due to the above massive rewarding of existing homeowners, it's very rare for existing lots to be abandoned entirely. consequently, almost all new construction happens in marginal areas that are not developed and connected to services yet. the services follow the homeowners, not the other way around.

literally the only adequate explanation for why housing costs as much or more in real terms vs 1980 is due to existing laws that treat housing as an investment or rent farm rather than a malthusian need for shelter and family rearing. look at any of the other basic needs malthus called out to compare it: food is objectively cheaper than it was in 1980, whether by resisting inflation or outright falling in price. fuel, in terms of heating so you don't die of exposure is also cheaper on average, though price spikes still occur and that's terrifying and bad. clothing (or fiber, as malthus calls it out) is more expensive on the high end to look very stylish, but is substantially less expensive to buy basic shirts, pants, coats, and blankets due to increasing mechanization.

the shelter need is outside of normal market forces and every financial professional out there knows it. this is precisely why the 2008 bullshit was so bad. nobody questioned that housing and land prices would ever fall, because every government from federal to locals in every western country on the planet was treating housing and land so preferably it seemed impossible. morons took that idiot belief to its extreme and whoops, turns out you can't legislate away basic loving math.

trying to indict a UBI scheme based upon the variable and high cost of shelter is basically saying 'the government can't do something good, because they're already doing something bad.' it's not an economic argument, it's not a market argument. it's a circular government vs government argument. you can't even say 'well, let's fix housing laws before worrying about UBI then' because housing laws are insanely complicated and touching their preferred status in any way will have real economic shockwaves. they will need to be handled over the course of decades in order to not cause widespread chaos. in the meantime, you still have people needlessly going underclothed, underfed, and shivering in the cold - and THAT isn't even a bleeding heart liberal appeal to compassion. people who are underfed, underclothed, and overstressed cannot perform in the general labor market, which reduces the available labor, shrinks the size of the market, and damages its overall effectiveness. even libertarian thinking grants that it's in our best interest to make sure our markets are as large and widely-inclusive as possible because that's literally how they work best - and therefore, this hunger and crushing poverty bullshit must be eliminated for the good of the market at large.

oh, and as a matter of fact, a UBI scheme that ensures everyone has some level of purchasing power regardless of housing shockwaves happen is, in fact, one of the better currently proposed ways to handle this potential turmoil.

e: also, the above is part of why it's not even clear that prices of other malthusian needs would fluctuate at all if a half-livable UBI scheme was implemented; between existing welfare schemes and charities, so much food, clothing, and heating material is outright given away that the lost commerce is a market in and of itself. a UBI scheme would bring every a huge chunk of soup kitchen and coat exchange patrons into the regular market, which creates all new incentives for those able to provide the highest quality product at the lowest price - precisely the incentive that has seen milk, eggs, and jackets cost less and less year over year.

Coolguye has issued a correction as of 07:51 on May 24, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Coolguye posted:

housing's price is so incredibly hosed up by so many different factors that it's not even worth talking about in a social welfare context. even bringing it up shows staggering ignorance of how deep that hosed up legislative rabbit hole goes.

the current tax code mammothly rewards people who own land in dozens of ways, be it as a tax write-off nexus for keeping "fallow farmland" in the middle of a suburb or just owning a large lot with a reasonably sized house. this artificially inflates the cost of housing, because in general the house is a depreciating liability on top of an appreciating asset (the land). zoning laws are rampantly used to keep prices of existing structures from falling, which penalizes everyone who does not currently own property. governments then are forced to fund 'affordable housing projects' to create new bottom-dollar housing in speculative districts or slums to try to hastily get some disenfranchised renters from voting them out of office and causing more chaos and pain in the overall housing system.

if you look at the fundamentals of building a home, there is absolutely no reason for a new construction house to be as expensive as a 30 year old home.

- are building materials more expensive? no; in fact, pretty much every material you can think of is cheaper nowadays, whether due to increased/more efficient production (woods, brick, sheet rock, etc - all good signs) or shoddier substitutes (many kinds of plaster and insulation - bad signs)
- is the actual construction more expensive? no; tooling has continued to improve and fewer workers can put together 10 houses faster than more workers could put together 10 houses in 1980. these inputs are markedly less expensive, not more.
- are the logistics more complicated? no; matter of fact it's a hundred times easier to get what you need to build a house to a site now vs 1980 due to the logistics revolutions that drove the 1990s economic expansions in retail seeping into other disciplines.
- is the land itself more expensive? no; due to the above massive rewarding of existing homeowners, it's very rare for existing lots to be abandoned entirely. consequently, almost all new construction happens in marginal areas that are not developed and connected to services yet. the services follow the homeowners, not the other way around.

literally the only adequate explanation for why housing costs as much or more in real terms vs 1980 is due to existing laws that treat housing as an investment or rent farm rather than a malthusian need for shelter and family rearing. look at any of the other basic needs malthus called out to compare it: food is objectively cheaper than it was in 1980, whether by resisting inflation or outright falling in price. fuel, in terms of heating so you don't die of exposure is also cheaper on average, though price spikes still occur and that's terrifying and bad. clothing (or fiber, as malthus calls it out) is more expensive on the high end to look very stylish, but is substantially less expensive to buy basic shirts, pants, coats, and blankets due to increasing mechanization.

the shelter need is outside of normal market forces and every financial professional out there knows it. this is precisely why the 2008 bullshit was so bad. nobody questioned that housing and land prices would ever fall, because every government from federal to locals in every western country on the planet was treating housing and land so preferably it seemed impossible. morons took that idiot belief to its extreme and whoops, turns out you can't legislate away basic loving math.

trying to indict a UBI scheme based upon the variable and high cost of shelter is basically saying 'the government can't do something good, because they're already doing something bad.' it's not an economic argument, it's not a market argument. it's a circular government vs government argument. you can't even say 'well, let's fix housing laws before worrying about UBI then' because housing laws are insanely complicated and touching their preferred status in any way will have real economic shockwaves. they will need to be handled over the course of decades in order to not cause widespread chaos. in the meantime, you still have people needlessly going underclothed, underfed, and shivering in the cold - and THAT isn't even a bleeding heart liberal appeal to compassion. people who are underfed, underclothed, and overstressed cannot perform in the general labor market, which reduces the available labor, shrinks the size of the market, and damages its overall effectiveness. even libertarian thinking grants that it's in our best interest to make sure our markets are as large and widely-inclusive as possible because that's literally how they work best - and therefore, this hunger and crushing poverty bullshit must be eliminated for the good of the market at large.

oh, and as a matter of fact, a UBI scheme that ensures everyone has some level of purchasing power regardless of housing shockwaves happen is, in fact, one of the better currently proposed ways to handle this potential turmoil.

e: also, the above is part of why it's not even clear that prices of other malthusian needs would fluctuate at all if a half-livable UBI scheme was implemented; between existing welfare schemes and charities, so much food, clothing, and heating material is outright given away that the lost commerce is a market in and of itself. a UBI scheme would bring every a huge chunk of soup kitchen and coat exchange patrons into the regular market, which creates all new incentives for those able to provide the highest quality product at the lowest price - precisely the incentive that has seen milk, eggs, and jackets cost less and less year over year.

you have summarized this issue quite well, and i have little to add

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
so a paper came out about a UBI scheme that rolled out in iran: http://erf.org.eg/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/1090.pdf

here is a sum-up article if you're not in the mood to read the nerdy data: https://theoutline.com/post/1613/iran-introduces-basic-income

and my sum-up:

iran pays everyone $16k/yr regardless of their employment status

productivity on the whole falls 0.0%, except in service industry, where it went up

educational enrollment rose (this is the supermajority of the explanation of increase in productive hours; poor people were using their UBI to enroll in school)

younger people worked less but stayed in school more (this is a cultural quirk, since iran has always had really bad young people employment so it makes no sense to go look for a job - this is counterbalanced by evidence 20-somethings were staying in school longer)

even the paper's author concedes this is not conclusive evidence but it is overall a resounding recommendation for UBI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sweden had the same results with their trial, right? Good to see more general data.

• Locked thread