Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I feel youve somewhat missed the point of that flyer you posted.

Al! posted:

because the people who determine what work is socially useful invariably determine that the most socially useful work is work which personally enriches themselves

Its this. Jobs don't correlate very well with providing for society under capitalism because society doesn't really have a lot of capital to pay out. I might prefer to be a preschool teacher in a low income neighborhood, but I also like to occasionally own things so I take employment as a data analyst doing drudge work that serves no real purpose except to enrich a corporation. With UBI my employment preferences might shift to doing societally useful work with the guarantee that I can still pay for everything.

If I were unemployed completely, UBI would give me a basis of support to search for employment that matched my job skills, or perhaps seek education to enhance my skills without worrying about, you know, being homeless. If nothing else UBI would give me some leverage in negotiations with a potential employer, because I could decline to suck his dick in a back alley in exchange for not starving.

Finally

Karl Barks posted:

because ubi is easier

Just give everybody some money. Don't even means test if you want. It will mean nothing to the rich and everything to the poor because of marginal utility of money. The full text of a UBI law could theoretically read 'Every living human* residing in America gets $20,000 per year, indexed to inflation'. Trying to give everyone a job runs into issues about who is suited for what job, what if you don't live where the jobs are, etc etc etc.

*gently caress furries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

THe other problem with guaranteed employment is that minorities will absolutely be given the shittiest jobs possible while still technically qualifying as employment. UBI theoretically sidesteps the issue by being, well, universal.

Of course, I'm certain a racist implementation could be found through indexing to the wrong cost of living or something, but it would be harder to do and easier to correct.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i think massive inflation is a good idea too tbh

Mild predictable inflation is good for everyone except people who keep all their money under a mattress or in a scrooge mcduck style money bin

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if the united states implemented UBI it would lead to a global economic crisis so massive that people would beg for a return to the good times of 2009 as the dollar, the worlds reserve currency, would inflate to poo poo and crash everybody's savings

The poor don't have savings. Its why theyre poor! The middle class doesn't really have any notable savings either and usually a lot of debt. Crashing everybody's non existent savings while inflating away debt would be a massive boon for everyone except the ultra-rich, and frankly gently caress those guys (provided the inflation was reasonable, predictable, and wages inflated to keep track - super important caveats).

R. Guyovich posted:

you can reasonably have a job guarantee but you'd have to lower the workweek to 30 hours. obviously this would rule but it's unlikely to happen under capitalism which is why it's time to jam on the big red REVOLUTION button

I mean yeah for something like factory work where the lines never stop and you just hire another shift's worth of workers, but for basically everything else declaring a 30 hour work week doesn't really *do* much. More time off is nice though, I guess.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Reading the article before posting it as a compelling argument might have been a smart move, but I get being so frothing at the mouth to poo poo on the low income gave you an irrestible sense of urgency.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

rudatron posted:

the reason is because there are a million and a half 'conservative think tanks', who decry every single policy aimed at helping those in poverty as economically bad, because ~<insert scary bullshit reasons>~. There's no mathematical basis for it, it all comes entirely down to virtue/moralistic bullshit, that the poor are poor because they deserve it, and making them not poor disrupts the cosmic balance or some poo poo

"inflation!!!" just happens to be the boogeyman that bulgogi has landed on, but he could just have easily landed 'laziness!!' or 'incentive to succeed!!' - they all have exactly the same empirical basis (ie none).

I had an economics professor who explained it like this: If you feel the major determining factor of success in life is inherited wealth and station then your policies are likely to focus on redistribution with an eye towards equality of outcomes. If you believe the major determining factor of success is personal initiative then your policies are likely to focus on encouraging work and removing obstacles to success (regulations, taxation, etc), with an eye towards equality of opportunity. He said this gave a potentially charitable explanation of Republican rhetoric that helped him sleep at night: They want to dismantle the social safety net not because they are ravening monsters who hate the poor and cannot be stopped, but because they genuinely think its the best way to encourage individual effort and greater success. This means they are still humans who can be reached and talked with.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Agnostalgia posted:

eh for every one of those there's three who became authoritarian shitheads post service.

They were probably authoritarian shitheads going in though.

Everyone I knew came out of the Navy with less respect for authority and regulations because it was readily apparent how uninformed the people who were supposed to be in charge were and how restrictive the regulations were because they had to account for idiots. It was also an introduction to favoritism, cliques, and promotion through attrition rather than merit that shook a lot of my coworkers.

Then again, I was a technician. Maybe its different if you were in a position to get shot at and/or shoot someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

call to action posted:

What's not to love about a monthly check that barely allows you to make ends meet, simultaneously allowing the rich to halt giving even lip service to their lessers?

Bringing my government cheese to my bombed out, fracked National Park that's being destroyed by climate change sure sure SOUNDS cool but then again, i dunno

What's not to love about absolutely nothing that doesn't allow you to make ends meet, simultaneously nothing of the rich who never gave even lip service to their lessers to begin with?

Bringing my absolutely nothing to my bombed out, fracked National Park that's being destroyed by climate change sure sure SOUNDS cool but then again, i dunno.

• Locked thread