Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Venom Snake posted:

almost every single economist worth a drat thinks UBI would be a huge boon for the economy you moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

rudatron posted:

ubi doesn't lead to inflation, that's just bullshit.

Well the reason folks say that is we have a simultaneous budget/revenue problem here in the U.S. that'd necessitate debt which would in turn lead to inflation. But if we fixed our tax brackets, closed our investment loopholes, and stopped spending the highest percentage in the world of our enormous budget on useless defense it'd be fine.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Not a Step posted:

I had an economics professor who explained it like this: If you feel the major determining factor of success in life is inherited wealth and station then your policies are likely to focus on redistribution with an eye towards equality of outcomes. If you believe the major determining factor of success is personal initiative then your policies are likely to focus on encouraging work and removing obstacles to success (regulations, taxation, etc), with an eye towards equality of opportunity. He said this gave a potentially charitable explanation of Republican rhetoric that helped him sleep at night: They want to dismantle the social safety net not because they are ravening monsters who hate the poor and cannot be stopped, but because they genuinely think its the best way to encourage individual effort and greater success. This means they are still humans who can be reached and talked with.

The hypothetical Republican view has no answer to the fact that social mobility is strongly correlated with the quality of a place's welfare state though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Agnostalgia posted:

eh for every one of those there's three who became authoritarian shitheads post service.

Yeah I had a lot of friends or acquaintances who went into the military and there were only two who weren't affected mentally in a bad way. One was affected physically instead, and the other had already been insane since he was a kid.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

ubi is starting to sound a lot like communism - idyllic, won't actually work out as planned, and probably unworkable

You thought that about it from the beginning.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Barbe Rouge posted:

probably not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_Policies_Institute
The Employment Policies Institute is a fiscally conservative non-profit American think tank that conducts research on employment issues such as minimum wage and health care.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

i raised the issue of inflation, which is the market response to increased consumption, whether through increased employment or income, and no one in this thread has solid reasoning behind why that won't happen

i looked and i waited patiently, and the thread response amounts to yeah we don't want that to happen, so it wouldn't happen

it doesn't even require collusion, it's based on capitalist self interest, the more people buy things, the more businesses raise prices, because they can, and the government can step in with regulations, but they would have to be consistently and effectively enforced, but if companies buy off politicians, which they do, these regulations can either be repealed or left un-enforced

our government would have to be willing to exert real influence on private industry without succumbing to massive corruption and that's been a consistently losing battle since the 1980's

i defy anyone in this thread to actually effort post with solid reasoning that doesn't amount to, well that's illegal or immoral, because just :laffo: if we think that matters in the age of trump

the number one issue with ubi is getting it to work in a primarily capitalist system

i think it would work better to socialize medicine, food and decent shelter (emphasis on decent) instead, through the raising of taxes on the wealthiest and the closing of tax loopholes

but, we can't even raise taxes because of the rich buying off politicians, yet we are arguing that we can control prices going up through weak, non-existent, or largely un-enforced government legislation

UBI replacing jobs lost to automation wouldn't raise consumption.

• Locked thread