Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
We live in a society steeped in protestant work ethic. What's more likely to attract a majority of voters:

1) Guaranteed jobs for everyone
2) Universal basic income

In the Second Bill of Rights FDR proposed (among other things that would frighten today's liberals) that Americans should have:

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

Today, some post-keynesian economists are pushing for the same thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_guarantee

So why has the idea of UBI caught on with today's left (and libertarians) but not a job guarantee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

anime was right posted:

there wont be enough jobs when the robots take them

So we'll have robots making public art, taking care of disadvantaged kids, socializing with residents at nursing homes

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

because the people who determine what work is socially useful invariably determine that the most socially useful work is work which personally enriches themselves

UBI is even more susceptible to corruption.

Hayek and Milton Friedman supported it for a reason: it makes a great excuse to get rid of government services. They saw it as a the path to a fully privatized America.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

whomupclicklike posted:

gently caress this "Protestant work ethic" horseshit I am Catholic and I am going to spend my day lighting really tall candles and eating wafers and I WILL be compensated

• Locked thread