Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

yeah great but just because a field of work is oversubscribed doesn't mean it's automated hope this helps

The vast vast majority of work in the arts and entertainment fields has long since been automated and if you dont realize that I am not sure you have the slightest clue what automation is.

But most of that has been in the parts of those industries that actually employed people, not the creative parts.

But a lot of the creative parts are being automated as well, even though they are still heavily human guided. Not all automation is direct one for one replacement - in fact, much of it simlly lets one person do the work of ten in the same amount of time.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 06:01 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Art still isnt as automated as programming though which is like 99% automated now and thank god.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah its pretty ironic that replacing most of the financial safety net with a UBI would actually let us hew far more closely to free market systems and in a way that benefits nearly everyone.

I have no joke seen libertarians arguing for UBI on that principle

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So job guarantees are better for lazy people with no life skills and a desire not to feel worthless even though they are.

Probably a good portion of the population

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 14:07 on May 12, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Al! posted:

if the govt flipped a coin randomly for every individual and they either got a job guarantee or ubi for the rest of their lives, which group do you think would resent the other

Trick question. Both of them would resent each other.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Agnostalgia posted:

eh for every one of those there's three who became authoritarian shitheads post service.

Socialization is a dangerous thing.

Cant run with a bad crowd if you never run with a crowd.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

got any sevens posted:

i agree, we need more unabombers

unabomber made the mistake of socializing with government agents that got him into drugs but didnt tell him about it.

Talk about falling in with a bad crowd!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Digiwizzard posted:

UBI is good in the short term but it's just a stop gap solution. If nothing is done to address the massive wealth and power disparity then it will continue to degenerate into a neo feudal society. you get a massive underclass of vunerable serfs that will be permanently at the mercy of the small class of elites who own everything

UBI does actually address the massive wealth and power disparity. Various particular implementations may not address it enough, but it does address it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

One of the nice things about ubi is a decent but flat ubi will naturally encourage people to live where the cost of living is cheaper, enable them to move, and lower the difference between many high and low cost areas

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Except for the people that value benefits of high population density, like public transportation, more nearby doctors, audience for performance/art, etc.

I don't need to justify you getting salty over someone else's life choices leading to lower per capita household expenditures. What if someone grew their own food?!?!

What the gently caress is this, lmao. Like I literally cannot even figure out what your point is or what you are trying to say. Can someone explain this to me, what it means and how it's relevant to what I said? (If it is...? I don't even know)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

The point of UBI is it makes everyone better off than they were before and nobody worse off.

Anyone who values benefitting from locked in labour will probably be worse off.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

A UBI would not be cost of living based and for drat good reasons and I dont understand how people can not get that.

Also all the "what if this bad thing happens?" questions that completely ignore "what stops the bad thing from already being happening and why does a ubi make that stop happening?"

Also a UBI would see a huge uptick in entreneurship and lower barriers to entry across the board. Especially for things like food it would be more competitive, not less, since people would have more options to deal with price rises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Moose_Knuck posted:

And back on topic (slightly), what are increases to UBI based on if not the cost of living? Is it some arbitrary, made-up measure specifically for UBI? Also, how would the initial payout be decided? "Hey, let's go throw 16 grand on these guys because that sounds right" isn't doing it for me.

Why are all your questions so bad.

Also this one was explicitly and rather specifically answered the last time you asked it and you ignored the answer which you'll probably do again. Cost of living is just as much an "arbitrary, made up measure" as that one was.

If you wanted to base it on cost of living, you'd base it on some national minimum and then work from there I imagine.

But it's probably better to base it on more useful things since you want it to be higher than that.

But you absolutely would not, under any circumstances, want to make it tailored to each individual. Down that road lies madness and terrible consequences. Perverse incentives all over the loving place, and a loss of many of the things that make it valuable, a loss of most of its rhetorical underpinnings, and an incredible sense of unfairness that would quickly see it eliminated

• Locked thread