Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

work makes you honest and gives purpose to your life but productivity is not matched to income and our safety nets are easy to exploit

if the government can't find something for you to do* you should at least be guaranteed proper shelter, nutrition and basic services

it's common courtesy!

*prison doesn't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

SpaceGoku posted:

anyway this is a dumbass derail

the whole point of having UBI is that it protects citizens against poo poo like automation or even unpredictable crap like popularity or market trends

if you work at the factory making skinny jeans and skinny jeans go out of style what's going to happen when you start selling 1/2 your previous volume of goods?

you need to cut down production to avoid sitting on too much surplus, but what then?

just have some of your workforce sitting around doing little-to-nothing while getting paid the same? at that point everyone would just be better off getting UBI and then the people who really want to make skinny jeans could start a coop venture to produce them at a worker-owned factory so they could all just agree that "yes, we will make fewer skinny jeans because there is less demand"

no, slave labor is the solution

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

R. Guyovich posted:

it definitely would lead to more people hired but i see your point so let's drop the week to 20 hours

:worship: the 20-30 hour work week w/ optional overtime :worship:

gimme dat fair wage

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Agnostalgia posted:

Hi everyone I'm the guy who thinks a policy whose result is equivalent to a 25% increase in U.S. mean household income would lead immediately to mad max. Please take me seriously.

okay but I need you to take me seriously and not just laugh when I take my shirt off

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Corky Romanovsky posted:

If someone is earning minimum wage and suddenly is taking home double minimum wage, they will buy double the meals, double the attire, double the abodes. Since these are all limited resources, and consumption doubles, prices must also double. -noted moron

imagine 4 plebs standing on a cliff, now double their bread ration

thats ubi

• Locked thread