Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

there's really two ways to do this:

create a federal Bureau of Jobs or whatever that either employs people directly or coordinates with state + local bureaus to do whatever socially useful thing the government can imagine (or when they run out of such things they can just make poo poo up, as in the USSR)

or come up with some insane neoliberal scheme for private industry to be able to fully employ the population through tax incentives and thousands of pages of crazy legislation - the Obamacare of jobs, basically

the first is essentially UBI with an absolutely enormous layer of bureaucracy on top of it and the second would be the most massive corporate welfare project ever witnessed in the history of mankind. maybe the truth is in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Tunicate posted:

How about a massive corporate welfare project with an absolutely enormous layer of bureaucracy?

By which I mean attempting to fix our crumbling infrastructure

set money = 0 and just give everyone some. scarcity is a lie

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Typo posted:

Another explanation is that there are some Republicans like the DeVos who literally believes in prosperity gospel or that rich == favor from god poor ==god hates you

:capitalism: except it says calvinism

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I could get a job guarantee and have the benevolent bureaucracy decide that my best fit is in loss prevention for a reverse mortgage company or I can get UBI and jack off in a van in the woods for as long as I like

this is a tough one

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it is important to establish some kind of housing controls so that local developers don't just set prices to gently caress over people on basic income and end up with a big hoard of homeless people with money

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

realistically we needed stricter housing controls 30 years ago but better late than never

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

UBI would in theory massively increase the relative power of labor since they would no longer be completely beholden to their employer for basic survival

You could go on strike and still get paid and that's a huge game changer

this of course only applies to people that still choose to work but that will still be a pretty substantial majority of people I'd think

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

UBI will be passed alongside bills to nationalize monsanto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

capitalism... is bad

• Locked thread