Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
"Check out this negatively geared income tax"

*rides unicycle backwards uphill*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SpaceGoku posted:

there is no field of human labor that is safe from being automated

whatever the hell you do for a living, there's someone trying to figure out how to either get a machine to do it, or make a tool or program that makes labor more efficient so there's fewer people who need to do it

figuring out how to make labor more efficient has been the story of human history since it began

I mean at work I spend some time writing software to optimize machinery. I also spend time writing software to optimize my own job. I mean this probably wont put me out of a job but I try to be more productive with less work that could theoretically make a new hire irrelevant.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SpaceGoku posted:

no, we'll just have computers and machines (and some robots) multiplying and optimizing human labor more and more efficiently and we'll need fewer and fewer people employed

also every field of art and entertainment is close to having an infinite amount of content from the viewpoint of the audience because so much of it is produced that one person can't realistically expect to experience all of it (or even most of it)

so it doesn't matter if the robots figure out how to paint or sing because we have so many people trying to do that those fields are in effect already automated

Apparently Rivers Cuomo made an excel document to write new weezer songs but they all suck so I'm nut sure what that means.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i think massive inflation is a good idea too tbh

5-10% per year would probably be a good rate. It would really help people with mortgages and student loans.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if the united states implemented UBI it would lead to a global economic crisis so massive that people would beg for a return to the good times of 2009 as the dollar, the worlds reserve currency, would inflate to poo poo and crash everybody's savings

hmm not really probably

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

you know what the united states could get away with printing money for without the dollar going to poo poo? universal healthcare lol

who said printing money? UBI is just an extra negative tax bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

no my argument is that printing a bunch of the worlds reserve currency and introducing it into super high-velocity circulation is going to wreck the global economy for some time

Dunno, add UBI and raise the interest rate or something figure it out dude.

• Locked thread