Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What the gently caress is going on with people? Everyone now has some piece of junk that is centered around a ball bearing that spins for "up to X minutes" and its the greatest thing ever. Now they are sold at every gas station and corner shop I see like some magic cure. Look at this

Pay $10-20 for some chunk of plastic and now its the hot new trend? It was almost better when smartphones were going to be the one and only device anyone ever needed. I miss the days when the only stuff you could impulse buy at the gas station register were fake boner pills or deep discount "baked" foods they were trying to unload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I just jerk it op

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i've been asked if we sell them where i work at least 10 times this week, had no idea what they were till now

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
These are popular in Taiwan too. I did not know it was a global thing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lmao if you buy $10 fidget spinners like some kind of cheap skate poor, get on my level nooblets

http://www.torqbar.com/products

$170

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
we just had a thread on this but also evreyone is autistic now, didn't you get the memo?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDC/

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Xaris posted:

lmao if you buy $10 fidget spinners like some kind of cheap skate poor, get on my level nooblets

http://www.torqbar.com/products

$170

Lol, nerds can't even figure out conspicuous comsumption without looking like nerds.

I guess that's why they're nerds.

nerds.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
One of those can spin for minutes but if I get restless I load up meat spin dot com and that goes for hours.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Back in my day, we made our own "fidget spinners" by learning to spin a pen or pencil around your thumb while in class. The difference is that our "spinners" took SKILL to master.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Bip Roberts posted:

One of those can spin for minutes but if I get restless I load up meat spin dot com and that goes for hours.

i mean thats some skill, what exactly are these things, they just spin around a long time? the fun is in timing it?

at least hacky sacks required movement. dumb, gay movement, but still movement

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You mean there are people who aren't satisfied with coins or ball bearings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlV3oQ3pLA0

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

Pay $10-20 for some chunk of plastic and now its the hot new trend?

These are like three bucks from AliExpress, haha.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
*flips a bottle*

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I see a lot of people complain about how distracting or annoying they are. Yall don't even know autism i have a friend who uses those plastic ball clacker noisemakers to self-stim.

The moor uncomfortable he gets the faster the clack like some kind of social anxiety geiger counter

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I just flip my balisong. :dukedog:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

SeXReX posted:

I see a lot of people complain about how distracting or annoying they are. Yall don't even know autism i have a friend who uses those plastic ball clacker noisemakers to self-stim.

The moor uncomfortable he gets the faster the clack like some kind of social anxiety geiger counter

They don't really annoy me too much but that's probably because it hasn't hit full-on fad level with my students yet. I think they're less annoying than Tech Decks/fingerboards were, mostly because you can mess with a fidget spinner and still pay attention in class.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Those popped up last week among the first graders at the school I work at. Kids were selling them on to other kids for double the original price which caused no end of drama, on top of the annoying crap they are in a classroom.

We blanket banned that poo poo real loving quick.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ADHD my loving rear end

a bane of my 7th grade classroom

like I need another loving poo poo to deal with for 7th graders to actually do anything

god DAMMIT

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Deal Extreme has the correct labeling for them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I bought one of those off Aliexpress like a month ago, and using it was addictive for like the first few days but I haven't really touched it since.

Guess I'm not a 'tistic!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I babysit an autistic boy and if him playing with his fidget spinner is what it takes to keep him from shrieking during minecraft time, well then god bless fidget spinners :patriot:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so you work from home etc etc

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
drat kids, I remember back in my day we had _________ . A much better fad!!!!!!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
i use mine to do carpal tunnel stretches so i'm pro this fad

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

zaepg posted:

drat kids, I remember back in my day we had _________ . A much better fad!!!!!!

Yomega yo-yos, brains and fireballs. Then there was the fabled silver bullet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Are there ninja star versions yet? Those would be pretty cool.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I want one

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
thats last months fidget toy, get with the times gramps now its all about MOONDROP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA1iCq3tOuM

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Kickstarter is a loving cancer

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

all these successful campaigns and no one wants to fund my toilet seat coated with the color changing stuff from mood rings so you ca tell if the seat is till warm from someone else without sitting

the problem is the end users who will benefit from them have no need at home and store owners wouldnt be assed to buy them

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

B.H. Facials posted:

Yo-Yos were the poo poo. My school had a big assembly for Yo-Yos, got all the kids to buy one then a week later they banned them. lol what a loving scam that was.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

These kids got Fidget Spinners, we had Pogs.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yo-Yos were the poo poo. My school had a big assembly for Yo-Yos, got all the kids to buy one then a week later they banned them. lol what a loving scam that was.

we had this exact assembly.

the traveling yo-yo salestroupe must have been a hell of a gig, going town to town working primary schools and pounding strange in the motel 6, living off fast food

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

B.H. Facials posted:

:hellyeah: except instead of a gun it's a yoyo

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
3d printer nerds have been doing this for a while.

Really took off at the start of the year though.

http://www.thingiverse.com/glitchpudding/collections/fidget

Print them and give them away to people, keep using them after a week to know they are on the spectrum somewhere.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My coworker has one and will fidget with it all day. Hell my other coworkers have fidget cubes. Plastic box with buttons and a playstation analog stick glued to it.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BlueBlazer posted:

3d printer nerds have been doing this for a while.

Really took off at the start of the year though.

http://www.thingiverse.com/glitchpudding/collections/fidget

Print them and give them away to people, keep using them after a week to know they are on the spectrum somewhere.

I ordered a 3d printed one with ball bearings in it and it exploded into shrapnel when I spun it with an air gun.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ElectricSheep posted:

They don't really annoy me too much but that's probably because it hasn't hit full-on fad level with my students yet. I think they're less annoying than Tech Decks/fingerboards were, mostly because you can mess with a fidget spinner and still pay attention in class.

I came in third in freestyle finger boarding in the 2004 x games.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
There's another one that's just a box with switches levers and buttons that don't do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Remember devil sticks? Now there was a horrible fad.

• Locked thread