Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

When I was a kid and got antsy in class I just groomed the kid in for the of me.

We were both more relaxed, more cohesive as a social group, AND I got free protein from the bugs I picked out. Win-win for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Make a fidget toy that subtly looks and feels like a pair of balls and boom, money in the bank my friends.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
It's like Beyblade, but less

That's why I think it's a step in the right direction

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
We need to teach all the badly autistic kids the revolver ocelot routine

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
imo bring back tomigotchi to teach a new generation about neglect

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I just bounce my leg for hours on end like a normal person with nervous energy.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

pentyne posted:

Pay $10-20 for some chunk of plastic and now its the hot new trend?

If by new you mean it's been destroying the world in trillions in sales for the last hundred years, yes this is a hot new trend to waste money on plastic things that do essentially nothing

Cthulu Carl posted:

When I was a kid and got antsy in class I just groomed the kid in for the of me.

We were both more relaxed, more cohesive as a social group, AND I got free protein from the bugs I picked out. Win-win for everyone.

I remember the awfulness of childhood, having to draw pictures on the bottom of my notebook in school with no spinning disc or smart phone to let me know what the cutest picture of a cat is each day, or pictures of food that we never actually make unless it's an alcoholic drink with at least 3 flavors of simple sugars in it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Steak posted:

imo bring back tomigotchi to teach a new generation about neglect

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/tamagotchi-on-sale-2017-return-original

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Here's one certain to upset or amuse a few of you. Tell me this isn't the most Ed Hardy, douchey possible extreme way to cash in on this fidget-spinner fad:

It's a Steel Spin "Ring Spin Flame" made out of a superconductor material. The little buttons in the middle you hold on to are made of a bunch of skulls. The sides of it have different macho words like "RESPECT" and "HONOR" because people will respect and honor you showing them this pile of turds.

And it gets worse! They put it up for sale and it sold for $8000.

It's basically the d-bag fidget spinner version of this Montegrappa Chaos pen:

Except that pen costs $65,000. I hate this earth.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a class with this guy years ago who had ADHD and did a presentation about how he needs all these fidget toys to keep calm. This annoyed me because I have ADHD and this sounded like dumb bullshit excuses to not develop more acceptable coping skills. There's two types of wrong attitudes about ADHD. One is the "it doesn't exist, don't medicate your kids, slap the poo poo out of them and pray a bunch!" The other is that you have some loving indigo child and making them follow any sort of rules will crush their poor little spirit. I'd have gotten nowhere in life if my parents had thought like that.

Anyway I figured he failed out because I didn't ser him for a long time and then suddenly one day here he comes down the hall with some stupid purple tophat on.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Can't we just have an island for these people who have such trouble dealing with life? Dump 'em there with their spinners and clickers and purple top hats. You know what, send Ja Rule there as well just to give it that finishing touch.

Fyre Festival 2.0 script written.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

abigserve posted:

Here is my secret get rich quick idea you guys can steal because I honestly can't be hosed to do it

While the market is so hot set up a supply chain where you can print your company logo onto a spinner for a nominal fee

If you really want to get bill gates rich fit a USB stick on it somewhere and I guarantee you every tech company on the face of the earth will order about a million on them

Legitimately a good idea.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

That's a pretty rad slammer

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
Didn't surprise me at all to see that my friend, who is under a *hands-off, chill out* policy with his hard-cucking quasi-ex-but-he's-hopeful-girlfriend got into these things ("she just uses tinder to make friends").

What happened to the value of cultivating a calm, even bearing? These things are like flashing neon signs that say, "I live in a permanent state of distress", and have yet to meet one person who doesn't deserve the implications of the whole fad.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

I was fidgeting with one of these but now it's stuck on my penis and I can't get it off. :(

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Catastrophe posted:

Here's one certain to upset or amuse a few of you. Tell me this isn't the most Ed Hardy, douchey possible extreme way to cash in on this fidget-spinner fad:

It's a Steel Spin "Ring Spin Flame" made out of a superconductor material. The little buttons in the middle you hold on to are made of a bunch of skulls. The sides of it have different macho words like "RESPECT" and "HONOR" because people will respect and honor you showing them this pile of turds.

Hey man I'll do anything to support Da Share Zone.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
These signs are popping up everywhere

I don't understand how this grew into such a fad. All the fads I grew up with had some kind of use. I have a feeling it's from the lack of attention span all these whipper snappers have these days..

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Catastrophe posted:

I watched this unfold live and was in awe. It was an auction done by a normal Facebook thread and they called it because it was obvious the two dudes fighting over it weren't going to stop any time soon. From what I could tell it's mostly wealthy asians who are paying those insane prices for these things.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I can see the appeal. Ill buy one. Thanks goons

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Cthulu Carl posted:

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
This might be a controversial statement but I don't think people should sit at a desk for 8 hours a day everyday like some retards.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Which one sbould i get

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zahi posted:

This might be a controversial statement but I don't think people should sit at a desk for 8 hours a day everyday like some retards.

if people didnt get paid to sit around at a desk for 8 hours a day there would be no posts

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I don't know why people who need to fidget can't just be like me and constantly pick at the skin around their thumbnails when their hands aren't occupied. Like, what do spinner things do? Are they like tops or something? No, I'm not going to look up a video.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I don't know why people who need to fidget can't just be like me and constantly pick at the skin around their thumbnails when their hands aren't occupied. Like, what do spinner things do? Are they like tops or something? No, I'm not going to look up a video.

They're made of thumbnail skin actually

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

These signs are popping up everywhere

I don't understand how this grew into such a fad. All the fads I grew up with had some kind of use. I have a feeling it's from the lack of attention span all these whipper snappers have these days..

i have one of those signs in front of my house

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Putty posted:

i have one of those signs in front of my house

Why? Did your free candy van get towed?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Toadstrieb posted:

What happened to the value of cultivating a calm, even bearing?

People always seem to forget that a part of strong stoicism is minding your own business and not whining about things that have literally no impact or effect on you.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 9, 2017

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I used to want one so much back in 6th grade when kids in school were getting them. They were like $15-20 or something, and that was too much for me when I spent my meager allowance on SNES game rentals every Friday. I would consider buying one for my friend's kid, but she has a phone, so her attention span is like 4 seconds.

Googling showed me that they came out with Tamagotchi M!x last year, and it's full-color and has currency to buy poo poo and looks like a total pain in the rear end that needs your full attention.

I don't know how this would compete with phones and apps, but Japan...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Haier posted:

I don't know how this would compete with phones and apps, but Japan...

because tamagotchi has a cartoon show and poo poo in japan, and they show tamagotchi shorts before movies. make something cute and marketable enough and anything will sell if you're told it's good.

americans generally skip the cute and marketable part of this equation so they only hit the part of the population that believes everything they're told.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Like someone said, better to see kids playing with these than zombified out staring at a tablet. Early 90's kid remembers the snap bracelet. The ones that didn't slice their wrists on the razor sharp metal band under the cloth.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

B.H. Facials posted:

Yomega yo-yos, brains and fireballs. Then there was the fabled silver bullet.

I had a Cold Fusion

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

People always seem to forget that a part of strong stoicism is minding your own business and not whining about things that have literally no impact or effect on you.

Stoicism isn't social disengagement or quietism though, especially insofar as it was derived from practices of governance :)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

when the gently caress did you grow up. like the only things that happened in the years I was a kid were tamagotchis, beanie babies, Magic cards, and pogs, I don't remember an era of auto maintenance or campfire building or whatever coming before or since

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Both eras are the same time :shh:

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Like someone said, better to see kids playing with these than zombified out staring at a tablet. Early 90's kid remembers the snap bracelet. The ones that didn't slice their wrists on the razor sharp metal band under the cloth.

It was old tape-measures under there lol, buck up and take your slices like an adult

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
A classmate of mine had the silver bullet. It was NOT worth $200.

Also I like the name Tamagatchi because then I can think "Tamacrotchy" to myself

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
What's ablism

• Locked thread