Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I had "adhd" because my classes were mind numbingly boring and they taught to the lowest common denominator, coincidentally when I was offered a chance to take college classes instead of highschool ones my diagnosis disappeared. I have a feeling a lot of the kids who have too much energy in class are simply at the point where they understood the concept being discussed the first time and now have 50 minutes to burn while the teacher repeats themselves 100 times.

I could see playing with a spinner thingy back then I guess, instead I mostly just fidgeted with my pencils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I pretended my pencils were really lame action figures and had them fight each other.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Hopper posted:

Serious question to teachers ITT: It sounds like fidget spinners and other toys are tolerated in class until a certain threshold of users is reached. When I went to school in the 80ies and 90ies there was an absolute 0 tolerance policy on any kind of toy in class. We were expected to concentrate on what was taught and to actively participate and that was that.

I would assume learning and teaching is way more effective that way and being more lenient regarding classroom behaviour will result in kids who don't learn to concentrate on anything properly.

What do you think from a teacher's perspective?

I feel like there's kind of an unfortunate disconnect here cause some chunk of kids who this sort of toy appeal to are just bored out of their minds in class, have already learned this month's material 3 weeks ago, and are dicking around because they're expected to sit through hours of needless review everyday.

Not to say every adhd kid is a savant but it's a p common scenario.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Hopper posted:

But realistically in a class of 20-30 kids how many fit what you describe above? 1 if you are really lucky, more realistically 0. Now look around you how many kids use those spinners?

that's not a bad point but there's also something to be said about our education system not doin enough about those who excel while by being super willing to hurt average students in the name of those who fall behind. The kids who wanna play with these spinners in class aren't gonna be more attentive if you take em away.

that's p much the biggest drawback of the public education system, it squanders a whole lot of potential.

• Locked thread