Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deeters posted:

So good he willed a country into existence to eat their food

Hey now, there is an Italy-ish shaped country on the Strangereal map. It looks more like a peg leg than a boot, but it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Psycho Landlord posted:

how the hell you call out thunderhead as memorable

I only remember Thunderhead because of Chopper's "Dunderhead" and "Thunder Blockhead" comments.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Italian is just a name for a style of cuisine, like soul food.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I tried out the PW 2.0 beta and I'm coming in somewhat disappointed. On the one hand, it feels like bombs are actually useful on some missions now, and the lighting can look nicer in some places. On the other hand, the new clouds frankly look janky as hell, even on max settings (that you can't play with because of the severe framerate drop), and it feels like "we have ace combat 7 clouds at home! ace combat 7 clouds at home: "; it's further hurt by just smothering some maps in a cloud sea. Mission 13, Valkyrie's Call (the Hawaii mission) used to have a loose dusting of clouds that let you see the port as you dove in to attack, but now the whole port is covered in clouds which ruins the effect for me. I didn't notice a change in the flares and missile smoke trails although I'll assume they're improved. Apparently there are (or will be) significant changes to mercenary difficulty (to make it even harder) and conquest (to balance it out), neither of which I've really played, so eh on those.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
A new Ace Combat alike game entered early access recently, called Nuclear Option. Has helicopter and bomber too.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I wouldn't call it Ace Combat like. It's much closer to a simcade style affair. It's the kind of game that advertises its HUD symbology on the store page, but not the kind that makes you read a manual to learn how to fly each plane. Think more War Thunder jets in the cockpit only mode.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Of note:

The 25th anniversary concert and a remix album for AC just arrived on iTunes (and I assume spotify):

https://music.apple.com/us/album/ace-combat-s-the-symphony-25th-anniversary-concert-album/1716491663

https://music.apple.com/us/album/ace-combat-series-special-remix-soundtrack/1715409966

Remix is kinda wild; it turns Liberation of Gracemeria into some EDM dance tunes, and Zero into electronic jazz.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Kinda weird the remix album doesn't have the daredevil remix they just released on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLfTnFUFkiA

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Remembered that Keiki Kobayashi did music for a DCS campaign, is there anything in there on the level of Unsung War/Zero/Daredevil? Guessing he didn't have the budget for an orchestra/choir but you never know.

IMO his contribution to the FF7 Remake soundtrack could have been an endboss fight in any game that wasn't already gonna have stuff as iconic as Jenova's and Sephiroth's music in it. Square's marketing department liked it enough they used it for a recent trailer for the second installment.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Phy posted:

IMO his contribution to the FF7 Remake soundtrack could have been an endboss fight in any game that wasn't already gonna have stuff as iconic as Jenova's and Sephiroth's music in it. Square's marketing department liked it enough they used it for a recent trailer for the second installment.

I love that you can go "oh that's Keiki" from literally the first note because that's such a Keiki Kobayashi horn.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phy posted:

Remembered that Keiki Kobayashi did music for a DCS campaign, is there anything in there on the level of Unsung War/Zero/Daredevil? Guessing he didn't have the budget for an orchestra/choir but you never know.

You can check out the music for yourself, it's pretty good but definitely not on the level of Daredevil or Unsung War, let alone Zero. Eye for an Eye is pretty good, Warmonger is also great. They're all very good in the context of each mission for sure, but they're very much just generic Ace Combat tracks rather than any of the particularly memorable ones.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Project wingman is on sale for 12.50 on xbox if anyone else doesnt have it yet

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Did it get updated like PC/PS5 yet?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

speaking of the PS5 I am kind of shocked they didn't give AC7 a PS5 release

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I was thinking about buying it on PS5. I heard its good if you like AC?

Ive played 5 and 7.

Is it like a full single player campaign?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah there's a single player story mode and it scratches the AC itch pretty well

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah so far it's the best part of the flight models of 4/5/0 without the psm bullshit of 7 its great

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stravag posted:

without the psm bullshit of 7

about that

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Project Wingman is extremely good barring a slightly long final boss fight.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lemon-Lime posted:

Project Wingman is extremely good barring a slightly long final boss fight.

the secret to beating the final boss quickly is to do it in the frogfoot with gunpods

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I haven't gotten to Wingman yet, but I know everyone loves Prez

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't gotten to Wingman yet, but I know everyone loves Prez

the best part about project wingman having a fully voiced wso whose presence changes the in game dialogue during missions is that it has maybe three or four two seater jets and they're at best mediocre. it really perfectly pulls off the exact opposite problem that ace combat has

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

the secret to beating the final boss quickly is to do it in the frogfoot with gunpods

If he's going to fill the space around your plane with lasers, you may as well fill the space around his with bullets.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

the best part about project wingman having a fully voiced wso whose presence changes the in game dialogue during missions is that it has maybe three or four two seater jets and they're at best mediocre. it really perfectly pulls off the exact opposite problem that ace combat has

That's why I installed the mod that lets Prez's voice be there no matter what plane you're in.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Queering Wheel posted:

That's why I installed the mod that lets Prez's voice be there no matter what plane you're in.

I wish I could get that mod on Xbox because Prez is the best and I always wanted Prez around, but as mentioned, the two seater planes cap out near middle of the pack

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Queering Wheel posted:

I beat the game with the Tomcat on the first go-around, then installed the mod that adds Prez to the F-15B ACTIVE (since it's actually modelled with 2 seats but isn't considered a 2-seater by the game, for whatever reason) for subsequent playthroughs.

e; vv whoops, you're right, I mixed up which one of the two between IRL/the game was wrong. The mod does indeed change the FS-15 model to have two seats and be a two-seater, like the IRL one is (it's a good mod).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 5, 2024

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lemon-Lime posted:

I beat the game with the Tomcat on the first go-around, then installed the mod that adds Prez to the F-15B ACTIVE (since it's actually modelled with 2 seats but isn't considered a 2-seater by the game, for whatever reason) for subsequent playthroughs.
It's not; there's a mod that adds a second seat to the model but by default it's correctly (well, "correctly" for the game, I know IRL it was a two-seater) considered a single-seat aircraft.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I beat my first playthrough on Normal using the MIG-25 and if you weren't cowards you could have done it too. :colbert: around the early middle she starts gasping and basically passes out while apologizing that you're finally going so far overboard that even she can't manage to keep up anymore and if you turn around in cockpit view you can see her slumped forward against the window :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kitfox88 posted:

I beat my first playthrough on Normal using the MIG-25 and if you weren't cowards you could have done it too. :colbert: around the early middle she starts gasping and basically passes out while apologizing that you're finally going so far overboard that even she can't manage to keep up anymore and if you turn around in cockpit view you can see her slumped forward against the window :smith:

I want to play this but it’s only PSVR2? :smith:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Project Wingman? No, it's PC, and works with any VR headset. Runs perfectly well on Vive and Index. But that's optional, you can just run it on flatscreen like a regular AC game

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kitfox88 posted:

Only the player character is powerful enough to withstand the breakneck g forces of the su 25

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Steve Yun posted:

I want to play this but it’s only PSVR2? :smith:

I think that's the newer short side game, the OG is on Steam and is playable without vr

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34N52Ib3irk

So apparently Tiberian Sons, a rock/metal cover band known for doing a bunch of really good C&C covers alongside Frank Klepacki on the Tiberian Dawn/Red Alert remaster soundtrack, is releasing a Anthems of Liberation, album with Ace Combat covers.
There's a bunch of more songs up on their YT channel as well.

Their rendition of Dual Wielder is really good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThS0bFlZ94

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 13, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM-xsJQo9KY

Didn't post the Operation/Comona covers, that's illegal

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Wicked cover of The Unsung War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHTRQTXyFuA

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Never heard of these guys, know absolutely nothing about command and conquer, but I'll give it up, that's a really enjoyable album. You can listen to the whole thing on bandcamp which has 3 songs not on youtube, and one notable alternative to a version that is (zero without pixy's dialogue overlaid) https://thetiberiansons.bandcamp.com/album/anthems-of-liberation

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

No Mods No Masters posted:

Never heard of these guys, know absolutely nothing about command and conquer, but I'll give it up, that's a really enjoyable album. You can listen to the whole thing on bandcamp which has 3 songs not on youtube, and one notable alternative to a version that is (zero without pixy's dialogue overlaid) https://thetiberiansons.bandcamp.com/album/anthems-of-liberation

Even if you don’t like RTS games you have to at the very least check out the soundtracks for the games from the first through Red Alert 2, they’re loving incredible. I don’t usually listen to video game music when I’m not playing games but I went out and spent money on them back in the iTunes days because they’re that good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXc3bUw8A6o

AC7 is coming to the Switch.
And there's apparently a Deluxe version of the game coming out as well, presumably with all the DLC.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that's great and all but where's the remastered ps2 trilogy goddammit :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that's great and all but where's the remastered ps2 trilogy goddammit :argh: