Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The worst thing about this show since it's been cutting things and deviating plotwise is that they keep setting poo poo up in the prior season that just gets dropped entirely. They were clearly planning on keeping sansa's extended plot in the eyrie until the next season where she's suddenly auctioned off to ramsay. The set up Dorne (badly) and then heel-turn and axe everyone immediately, wasting Siddig in a completely unearned and unsatisfying death. That kind of poo poo just screams lack of foresight, and i know they're busy but they should've worked on a story structure to keep through AFFC/ADWD when this was getting off the ground floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

The videos during the season that recap episodes are good but I had to unsubscribe from him because all the others are garbage and he pumps them out constantly.

Alt shift x puts out like one video a month tops in the off-season. That's not even close to "constantly".

Are you thinking of the dozen other game of thrones guys? like preston jacobs and whatnot, who churn out insane theories and nonsense at a ridiculous pace?

Alt shift x manages to talk about this stuff in a way that's not completely offputting, provides sources and infographics, and other things that make these theories a little more interesting to watch and listen to.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

He truly is the Ur-Goon.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

david and dan have deliberately created a hellish machine-like production process so nobody ever has the time to seriously scrutinize their horrifying hack-job of adapting this show post-Storm Of Swords

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That's quite a loving transformation. to go from Romance Novel Daario to Francis

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I just started The Americans, it's not as good as GOT seasons 1 and 2 but better than any GOT after

Also confusing on who to root for

e: I stopped BSG after I couldn't get into season 2. Same thing with The Wire.

you root for the commie spies and their family, and boo their employers and the FBI although the latter is probably unintentional given who conceived the series.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

They super hosed up by setting it up in the reagan era, bury the lead with the wife's ties to black power groups. The Americans needs to be set comically on the nose in like the birth of the counterculture or the height of mccarthyism, instead its about reagan era soviet spies who should seriously be eyeing defection by the time Reagan is shot.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Phil is seriously considering defecting since the 1st episode

sometimes, but most of the time he is thoughtlessly being the one half of best spysassin henchman handler combo in the world

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Winter is cumming fire and blood

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This season already has more good episodes than season 5 and 6 cumulatively

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My local library had a half assed shelf of GRRM stuff front and center to promote reading during these dark times. They had A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms and A World Of Ice and Fire.

Dunk and egg stories are really great. The illustrations were great. Cant wait to see those hack frauds at HBO ruin that in 2-3 years

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah the compression of time is obviously overboard. Consider theyre basocally gambling on covering WoW and ADoS material in what? 14 episodes? Not loving reasonable to be honest. I understand costs have ballooned and theres probably fatigue from how the show is made but it was stupid.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My local library has GoT seasons 1-5 so I've been indulging a rewatch. The show really was better early on. Budget creep and surpassing the books are the most obvious causes of quality drop. The drive away from emphasizing drama and storytelling to the lame spectacle driven sadness we have now where killing off large swaths of the cast counts for character development is a loving tragedy, and if D&D aren't completely responsible, they're at least the most visibly guilty. Regardless everyone involved in transforming this show from faithful adaptation people liked on its own merits to a pandering expensive farce should be ashamed.

Yet i gotta say, every one who is talking about how the average viewer is obviously a meat headed shithead who cant endure a drama heavy fantasy show needs to stuff it and maybe watch the seasons actually tightly adapted from the book. It's night and day quality and people liked those seasons a lot.

I wonder what it's like to constantly cosplay the execubots from futurama? It's definitely the logic used to justify all the bad decisions made by the showrunners and HBO, but it's not a remotely accurate assessment of why people began to watch this show.

It would be accurate to say that most early adopters are only still in it because of sunk costs though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, that is probably an exaggeration, but there are people who name their children "Khaleesi" and HBO is making the "previously on GoT" so super obvious because people wouldn't understand the show otherwise. Most of the show only people probably would even have trouble naming the great houses.

I'm a nerd who helps keep chatacters together and plot points fresh and all that for my sisters and parents and a few less nerdy friends. I whine a lot on here but i would rather let people in real life enjoy their titty dragons, so i keep my discontentment to myself. They may need help keeping it all together but my small sample size is all very loving unhappy at how dumb and brainless the show has become. Yeah people like the action scenes but this season's pacing has done nothing but seriously anger nearly everyone i know who watches this show, the dialogue has been a recurring joke since season 5 at least.

It's seriousy too bad D&D can hide their laziness behind "The Audience is dumb and we blew our writing budget on dragons and actors" when they really are just hack frauds with terrible priorities.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Taear posted:

All the reviews of the show are loving the new direction and as I say people here are also loving it. I've not heard anything negative.

It's a shame, it deserves that. Especially considering how Walking Dead has drawn a lot of criticism in the last seasons and I'd say this is doing the same sort of stupid lazy storytelling.

I feel like trusting early reviews as a barometer of quality and overall reception is a bad idea. Do critics get early screenings? I don't pay attention to that stuff because early reviews are consistently wrong in hindsight. We will probably have to wait for series end and retrospectives to come out before the critical world really starts to sour on these episodes.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

that was the dumbest poo poo ever. thank god its over.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the polar bear or w/e was cool but i thought fire is supposed to kill undead? Jon used fire to great effect.. the bear had to be shanked with dragon glass though? The hell?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

Jesus loving Christ

If you hate the show

STOP

loving

WATCHING

Screw you

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I took a vow in 2011 and my watch has not ended. Show sucks asssssss but ill stop watching when it's done and ill stop calling david and dan hack frauds never.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

chernobyl kinsman posted:

youre going to spend like 60 full hours of your life watching something you dont enjoy for no reason lmao you idiot

You don't seem to get it but this show used to be good, it has moments that are good in a vacuum, and i want to see the end of the story. The show loving sucks now but if you're such an uncritical person as to enjoy this dreck with no asterisks then youve got no real business telling people how or what to watch

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Those spoilers aren't real. But just because nerds have been honing in on these hack frauds' "process" for years now, extrapolating a finale and chugging out a believable fake using this season's leaks as a template has become possible.

Its like when there was an alleged leak of a work in progress Deathly Hallows manuscript. It wasnt real. Large swaths of it were obviously fan fiction, yet the story beats actualy matched the deathly hallows almost one for one, because fans figured out JK Rowling's game by book 7.

Either that or Rowling is only famous because of one bad rear end editor.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Doesn't bronn retire to his castle stokeworth and name the stokeworth kid Tyrion to gently caress with cersei in the book?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Considering what the show likely makes for gurm, the hacks, and HBO itself, that seems a rather low figure honestly

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really enjoyed this finale. The LF callout was underwhelming and the Theon Greyjoy Comedy Fight was cringey as hell. But it made up for one or two major stinkers.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bronn is cool but they should've let him retire to castle stokeworth into a cozy spinoff adventure dramedy.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Every single character is getting rough draft/first pass effort and has been since season 5. We are just seeing D&Ds true quality absent any meaningful guidance.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Alt shift x is very good.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i wonder if the 13th commander thing was what we saw in bran's vision. He didn't fall for an other, he fell for a child of the forest, and they roped him and gave him an obsidian enema.

over the years the legend forms

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i think it's pretty cool. There's a tendency for fantasy writers to make other races paragons of some kind of human virtue. To just have the children of the forest be magical neolithic assholes is kind of neat.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

They should have not had the fairies stabbing the guy scene if the walkers are just going to be mindless bad guys. It hints at a backstory that will never be explained at all so why tease like that.

These morons are operating season to season. Why bother casting and announcing Siddig just to have him sit and pout for one season before getting shanked? The answer is D&D are morons.

By the time they got to season 5 they wanted this to be over, because the show they built had an insane production process that was mostly their own fault

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The ending was writ small on the pup of the smallest Stark, friends.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The books are a lot better up through a storm of swords.

After that ehhhhhhhhhh its good and better than season 6 and 7 for sure.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

is the braavosi army pretty good or are they avoiding invasion and reprisal with just some faceless men and geographic isolation

i mean bookwise because obviously the tv show wouldn't consider something like a medieval bank vulnerable to a pissed off king surviving an overthrow and going for that bank.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The FM probably get free unquestioned travel and other preferential services in exchange for a few names a year

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

your observation is way the hell off, people challenge that stuff in threads all the time because honestly, argument is fun, and people watch this show for different reasons, maybe hatewatching at this point, but this is the spoiler thread, meaning a lot of people who read five (5); V books in this series and would read more if they existed. they dont hate these books. on some fundamental level they enjoy it, maybe because they enjoy pain. and they assume anyone coming into a thread like this to talk about how bad the books are is looking for a discussion, not a driveby shitpost to sagely nod at.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

since it was mentioned and even defended in this thread i wanna say stephen universe is insanely bad! game of thrones season 1-4 are GOOD and the books are GOOD!!!!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

is the golden company run by blackfyres in the show? any chance the golden company gets to kings landing and goes "nice castle"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i find it hilarious that you're taking anonymous 4chan posts at face value while calling *other* people retarded.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

that post wasn't for you!!!!

but point of fact re spoilers, seriously, the source is loving 4chan. can't believe this much time has been spent on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

/r/freefolk is immediately more believable than 4chan as a source

• Locked thread