Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FuhrerHat posted:

its gotta be killable on-screen somehow

a shield wall will surround it while the dragon roars and lashes around haphazardly

it's the only explanation for why 747 dragons don't immediately end all the wars when soldiers surrender en masse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress that, bsg said from the get go it was about angels and everyone refused to accept it for 4 seasons only to find out it was indeed about angels. It's the opposite of stuff like Westworld where people figured out the Secrets right away, because there was no secret

Also I'm pretty sure I'm going to get really mad at Dany for the next season or two, especially if those spoilers are right. I also hope the dothrakis horses starve to death since they're completely pointless

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I was on team euron before tonight and this ep cemented that he's the only guy worthy of a crown now

also what's the arya killing a white harbor girl thing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GaussianCopula posted:

So, uh, that was an episode alright.

For the people that didn't notice it, Arya is now going North because the friendly Lannister boygroup talked a lot about family, which made her reevaluate her goals in life. This might get presented as a shocking twist when she shows up in the North, but it really shouldn't.

What made me wonder is why Cersei did not tell Euron "well you see, there is this Dragon Queen on her way, maybe destroy her armada on the sea if you are the greatest captain ever". Nope - he is going to catch himself some sand snakes, giving us a really satisfying conclusion to that story.

Oh and while Jaime for some reason is concerned with feeding their army while in King's Landing, Dany can just land on a bleak island worth nothing and her presumably starving army is fine with that.

Dany brought 80 thousand horses with her to eat

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Trivia posted:

So, we're all in agreement that Euron is going to backstab Cersei and aim to marry Dany, in what was the most obvious foreshadowing ever, right?

...right?

nah he can have a salt wife and iron wife or whatever. Euron is going to end up marrying the night king.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
nah, Sam will make a deal that if the wall falls he can get access to the secret books; at which point he'll grab the horn and destroy said wall

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

3peat posted:

I just saw some spoilers for the whole season, is thjis the thread to discuss them?

hell yes it isi

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Harton posted:

I stopped going to bars after my band broke up and stopped playing old man music about 4 years ago. Now I'm married with a 1 year old daughter so that's even less time for poo poo like that. My house is usually the party house now and we either listen to my Spotify playlist or we just play live music with instruments that isn't Taylor swift. Sorry my life is not like yours where you jam out to music for teenage girls.

I'm not sure if I've even been to a bar since having a kid. man they take a lot out of you

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bloom posted:

I never heard that song and don't know who this guy is. It's not some attempt at being cool and underground, it's just not my(or my friends') kinda music.

What does it say about the state of GoT that the most talked about thing with the season premiere is a cameo by some popstar?

what else is there to talk about that we didn't know from the end of last season?
we knew Dany had a giant army with no way to feed them and that issue would be ignored rather than have her and cersei battle for control over the sole food producing region for the next dozen years.

we knew euron would get a fleet because otherwise that plot line with Yara would simply end entirely

we knew Sam would go to the citadel and be useless.

we knew Jon would make idiot decisions for idiots and no one would ever comment on him dying once

we knew the walkers would still be walking around in circles.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Soul Glo posted:

I hope the ice dragon in the finale eats ed sheeran and every goon ITT including me

how do you think they bring it down - giant zombies , or the night king doing something ?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GaussianCopula posted:

Episode 2 detailed spoilers on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6nkzns/stormborn_episode_702_details_and_breakdowns/

As expected, Euron wrecks the Sand Snakes and Yara, Tyrion wants to attack Casterly Rock (which is on the other end of Westeros and they don't seem to have sea control), Jon goes to Dany because of Sam's letter and Sam cures Jorah.

Yay.

Oh and Greyworm is going to proof that he doesn't need his Greyworm to pleasure a woman...

It's good they're paying lip service to why the show is getting dragged out in regards to King's landing even though that's an insanely stupid argument. just don't send the dothrakis in, the dragons+super disciplined eunuchs are more than enough to win but fine let's have a much longer more protected war with more bloodshed, that'll make the peasants happy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's going to be the wall falling and which ever dragon that died blowing ice flames or whatever.

it's great that there'sno possible way to have a dragon get killed yet they're going to do it anyways

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Solice Kirsk posted:

Night King gonna ice spear it. You mark my words. He may even cast it like a loving Final Fantasy spell.

yeah I think so too. then he wont ever use that spell against any other dragon or against armies or whatever

and sure ballistas could hit a dragon, but not one flying around

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The Dragons should be nearly invincible because I don't see artillery on Euron's ship. I can see the Night King killing one of them.

Whoever said "or else they'd still be around" well, the Dragons died out before from magic fading and also being kept in a tiny cell so that they were the size of dogs. These are not those dragons.
whatever kills the first dragon (night king spell probably) should be usable to kill the other dragons, all humans, etc

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
she's not insane, she's just a terrible leader who believes in her divine right to rule and lucked into dragons which confirms her worldview

Euron is the sole person deserving of rule in both the books and show

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Also any of Jon Sansa Tyrion and dany will likely make good rulers.

Dany and Jon have both been shown to be idiot bad terrible rulers

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Tormund and Brienne might be the best part of the whole show.

tormund and euron are the only people having fun, everyone else is dour as hell

bronn would be having fun too if he were allowed to be on set

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

So why did Dany let Varys live after he sent an assassin to kill her?

because consistency of actions and motivations are completely ignored in the show now. the last two seasons have basically been a Huh? why did this happen? series of moments because the writers wanted to have x y and z characters allied with whomever

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Groovelord Neato posted:

cool euron has the trash plot armor and magic powers ramsay had.

euron and by extension cersei are the best and should be rooted for

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He then forged that remaining magic into a powerful set of leather armor.

he might as well considering his suit of valyrian armor is somehow missing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
can't the dornish army just walk

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
any moment now danys 100k strong cavalry force on a barren rock is going to have to eat their own horses

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the best thing about euron is he should be able to completely starve out danys army and also stop the attack on casterly rock but none of that will be mentioned.

he might as well just have one ship, same with all the armies- they only matter if a named character is with them

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rated PG-34 posted:

Perhaps the real reason they can't burn KL to the ground is budgetary reasons and not dumb liberalism

no it's because there's nothing left to do in the show. burn King's landing, head north to help Jon at the wall, the end

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Elman posted:

That's underselling it. She killed her own son the King (or at least that's what everyone will assume), the extremely popular Queen, tons of noblemen including her own uncle and cousin, the also extremely popular High Septon and dozens of bystanders.

There's no loving way she'd have any support after commiting mass murder in a power grab, she'd get torn apart. The Mad King did way less and yet she's still comparing Dany to him with a straight face.

It's nonsense.

they could've had one entire line with cersei directing her staff to spread the word that the dragonfire stash below the sept was due to the sparrows who moved it there and angered the seven and it exploded. the nobility might not buy it but the smallfolk might. it'd at least explain her not being killed by a mob

also the biggest problem with the fleet stuff is that in the books there aren't opposing fleets - once Dany gets a beachhead fleets don't matter , they just enable faster travel. and since travel time in this show is irrelevant, who cares if euron rules the sea in opposition to or in support of her

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel like euron is the only person with any agency left. everyone else is inconsequential or set on an inexorable path

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Taear posted:

It's funny that song of ice and fire got popular because it was "more realistic" fantasy that was prepared to take risks.
Which is the exact polar opposite of what the show is.

I realized last night that the only army in the show to ever run into logistics problems or deal with time and distance was stannis's, and 90% of that was off screen. every other army is essentially intact the entire time and appears wherever needed as long as their hero is with them. it's completely insane

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TeaJay posted:

It's just more proof that D&D went out of their way to screw Stannis over and make him look bad in the show.

to be fair the pink letter was in the book and also made no loving sense

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's because the one time they did deal with it, it was ramsay's moronic 20 good men thing.

not only that, he's presented as one of the few competent commanders/rulers in the entire show (it's him, tarly and old bear mormont, anyone else? I suppose the Lannister brothers) and he's the only one who not only has to care about logistics but also fail due to them. it's ridiculous

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ATP_Power posted:

The pink letter makes sense if it was written by Mance Rayder to try and make John do something really loving stupid.

why would mance have written it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
great sets, great production, the laws of time and space are completely gone. I loving love it and take back everything bad I've said

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
apparently highgarden and casterly rock are about 550 miles apart lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
eurons magic dragon horn and armor in the books have been rewritten as scry and teleport and I'm 100% OK with it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
can someone repost the season spoilers so I can see how accurate they've been

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Propaganda Machine posted:

How hard is it to click on page 1 for the OP?

too hard, thanks. so the only thing not entirely on point, yet, is the first blurb. hell yeah

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TeaJay posted:

That looks like a hell of a lot of stuff needs to happen in just 4 (?) episodes.

highgarden fell in thirty seconds. plot beats take no time in this show compared to dramatically showing a cool location they scouted

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
it's really loving funny if the reason the wall falls is due to humans raiding north of it

the maesters were right, White walkers are real but don't matter unless you're so stupid as to head into their territory with dragons and lose them lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

these are awesome. I remain firmly committed to team eursei.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
it's extremely funny that olenna and elaria didn't mention how terrible their armies are in the grand strategy session. they couldn't even defend themselves, how were they going to siege King's landing

anyways who cares cersei is gonna win and euron is gonna put a finger in her butt double

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shwqa posted:

Hey guys I'm Euron. I'm gonna intercept ships going to Dorne. Then take prisoners back to King's landing. Then be at the other side of thr land mass in time for the unsullied's attack despite them leaving at the same time as the other ships heading to Dorne.

No big deal.

euron has literal magic abilities in the books . roll with it

• Locked thread