Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

EvilElmo posted:

The poop sequence was really, really, really well done.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed a Sam montage.

I didn't mind this episode, it felt like one of the weaker early episodes. The costume department was the weakest link of the chain, although Jon and Sansa looked appropriately bulked up.

After last season's horrible episode after horrible episode, culminating in an even worse horrible episode, I really just feel like I'm sticking around in the last 10 minutes of a hockey game that started with my team up by a few goals then getting wrecked in the second period into the third.

I googled The Winds of Winter and was not surprised to see that a date had not been set for its release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah and apparently they're magic self-sailing ships too because I find it hard to believe thousands of people could be living on those barren islands to sail those 1,000 ships :v:

I'm reading the Aubrey-Maturin series right now and at one point Jack mentions that despite the Surprise being one of the smallest ships in the fleet, it has 200 men aboard, with some of the larger ships having 500, so those 1000 ships would need to be crewed by minimum 200 000 men, and based on some of those juggernauts they showed, closer to half a million.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dave Angel posted:

Going to have to eat a bit of crow('s eye) for repeatedly bringing up longships now, been looking a bit more closely at the ships in the big fleet shot and they don't really look like longships. Googling around a bit on medieval ships, I think they look a lot like Caravels. They were used heavily by the Portuguese to sail around the world so a fitting parallel for what the Ironborn would need for their far-flung voyages. Crew numbers seem to be about 20, with mention of some smaller ones with as few as 9. 20,000 sailors might even make the Ironborn numbers needed sound reasonable.

[Edit] The ships still look super-fancy, though. I wonder if they held off on launching the fleet until they found enough cans of gold paint to bling them up.

No kidding! Because Euron's ship was so advanced I thought that the others were, which isn't the case:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought it also had to do with the client as well: a street orphan's most prized possession would be his pocket knife or something, and that would be enough to buy a hit on a mean merchant, whereas that same merchant's business rival would have to give up far more.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just release a Wikipedia style summary of the plot that scrolls by because that's what Season 6 was, aside from some horrible battles

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dragons are a complete game changer and can really only be killed by other dragons, like in that novella about the Green Queen or whatever, until they are simply butchered in their cells by the end of it by a mob (even if it was infiltrated and organized by the Maesters) with hand weapons

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Remember the terrible Night's King CGI face at the end of Hardhome haha

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would have loved it if Cannibal, the only (?) dragon to survive The Dance of Dragons, emerged and ate one of Dany's dragons

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

At this point I'm looking forward to the spin off/s, the first of which will certainly be the Dunk and Egg Adventures, because it would be a return to No Magic and it sounds like no one involved in this series will be working on it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The dog sized ones couldn't even fly or stand up iirc, the Maesters slowly killed them

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Omnikin posted:

"Knowing" where this season ends up... is there any chance Dany goes Targaryen crazy and ends up just loving off and killing everyone anyway? Pincering the remaining Westerosi between her dragons and the Night King.

Would be cool imo

I will be super disappointed if Dany isn't full on insane next book

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

Robert's claim was already implied to be an afterthought.

Rob was the grandson of someone of Targ lineage, he was the best option out of the rebels.

Also I remembered during some war in KL a drunken mercenary captain declared himself King and ruled from Flea Bottom or something for a few weeks haha

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

I never imagined dragon riding would look that goofy.

In The Princess and the Queen I'm pretty sure Targs lance each other with giant lances/ sword fight on dragons

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was so excited when I learned Alexander Siddig was cast as Martell

This show got so bad so fast, at least we got a cool battle last episode.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Me too. It should be criminal to waste Bashir like that

It's one of the most annoying parts of the post book material.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am a bit weary myself that GRRM will get all pissy pants about it and change things up out of spite

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

wizard on a water slide posted:

His ending theory, which is actually one of the least ridiculous and more interesting of his wild flights of fancy, is that ASOIAF is taking place in the twilight of an apocalyptic event ("The Long Night") that was caused by technology, ala nuclear war or alien invasion, rather than magic gone awry. The idea is that advanced technology explains a lot of the inexplicable elements of the series - like the architectural marvels of Storm's End and The Wall - and that things like the inexplicably backward, infinitely large Stark tombs were actually the fallout shelters that kept the "First Men" who survived nuclear winter alive. You can run with this idea to all sorts of weird places; all the bloodline-linked magic is actually the product of genetic mutation, the dragons that "hatched from an egg in the sky" were introduced alien lifeforms, etc. It also suggests that maybe Westeros's hosed up seasons are because the planet's climate or even orbit or something was deeply, apocalyptic hosed.

The evidence is mostly circumstantial, since it's a tinfoil hat theory, but hangs a lot on the sense of "missing history" that permeates the world; we know that the history of the Night's Watch is inexplicably missing prior to the 13th or 14th commander, we know the maesters (who basically represent the whole of Westerosi academia) have more overreaching influence and more of an agenda than is readily apparent to the people they "serve" which may include deliberately concealing this history and advanced tech, and so forth. Also with the fact that Martin was primarily a sci-fi writer who borrowed a LOT of names, concepts, and themes from his sci-fi for ASOIAF to the point that it could be taking place in one corner of a shared universe.

I think it'd be a cool ending just because of how many book readers and show watchers alike would poo poo their pants with rage.

I'm fully preparing myself for a sci fi ending as well

That or the entire war is settled in Westeros and then the victor hears rumors of a Yellow King in the Far East or something

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

As others have said, Joramun's Horn is supposed to bring down the Wall by "awaking giants from the earth"

On the fan theories surrounding the Horn:

- The "awake giants from the earth" is interpreted as either awakening actual earth giants, awakening a dormant ice dragon within the wall, or cause an earthquake like the one that created the Stepstones.

- Two horns have appeared in the books. Euron's horn "Dragonbinder" and the horn Jon finds in the Fist of the First Men that he later gives to Sam.

- Dragonbinder has been shown to have some magical properties since it burned the lungs of the man who blew it, and supposedly it's used to bind the will of a dragon to whoever blows the horn. It is improbable that this turns out to be the Horn of Joramun. The more likely purpose of this horn is for Dany/Jon/secret Targaryen to blow it and since they are immune to getting burned (when the plot remembers/wants them not to) they can control a dragon this way, since in the books they are mostly untamed still.

- Sam's horn is the one most likely to be the Horn of Joramun. However, it has yet not been used at all and Sam is currently on the other side of the world in the Citadel, so unless the horn's magic is coded to just gently caress the world no matter where you blow it, it can also potentially turn out to be a red herring and the actual Horn has yet to be found.

I really, really want Victorian to get while roasted gazing expectantly at the approaching dragons attracted by his horn... and then on the other side of the world, the Wall crumbles.

Anyway, I thought the finale was fine. My expectations for this show are pretty low these days. If those sketchy sounding rumors are real than it will be Dexter levels of making GBS threads the bed.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why did Rhaegar need to get a divorce? Targs can plural marriage, right? Jon could still be the legitimate King after his slightly older brother died

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Euron is so, so terrible.

The character, the actor, the costuming... all horrible

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's like he showed up for The Walking Dead and took a wrong turn and ended up on the Game of Thrones set and everyone just went with it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I know it's an old joke that the books aren't coming out, but I'm fairly confident that Winds will be out eventually and I'm really looking forward to it.

Dream, however, I'm much less certain about. Maybe watching the final season will stir something in GRRM and motivate him... but maybe it will just be a heart attack and we'll only have the show :shrug:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Harton posted:

It's better to assume they are never coming out and then being pleasantly surprised if he actually releases winds. Dream is never coming out though. Honestly can he even finish it in 2? He's on record saying Tyrion isn't gonna meet Danny until halfway thru winds anyway. From what we've seen so far from the show is it possible for him to move the plot along quickly enough for only 1 and a half books before she even leaves Essos? Hope is a lie, shits never going to be finished.

It really does seem like there should be three to finish it off, if only because of the Tyrion/Dany thing. 1½ books doesn't seem like enough time to become a loyal, trusted advisor, all while an invasion (that Tyrion theoretically plans in that time) goes on.

Who knows, maybe he will get back to writing after he gets the Targaryan books out of his system.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How did the Targs do the multiple marriage thing? If you have three wives and have kids with them, does the succession go by oldest children or was there a primary wife who's kids were higher up than the others?

Also, are there any cool new theories on the Summerhall Tragedy? I've always thought Egg going insane felt really off.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

basic hitler posted:

Bronn is cool but they should've let him retire to castle stokeworth into a cozy spinoff adventure dramedy.

Yeah, GRRM took the right approach with Bronn by switching him to a background, non-appearing character and simply having other characters talk about and report on him. Somehow it works as a different kind of awesome.

bbf2 posted:

I'm not saying they need to give him a nuanced subplot, I'm just saying if at any point they decided to show him being happy, sad, frightened, serious or literally any other emotion besides sarcastic detachment it might actually have some impact and sell the things going on around him to some degree and give him some sliver of character development.

For the longest while I was convinced that he'd be unceremoniously killed off... because he's just a upstart sellsword who would have drank himself to death or died in the mud on some battlefield if he hadn't met Tyrion.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 30, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drat, I just realized that Bronn is better at being Littlefinger than Littlefinger was.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Remember when everyone was confident in the show writer's abilities for new material after the Jory/ Jamie scene? haha

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm glad they put Aidan Gillen out of his misery, that entire scene was definitely a bullet point on the napkin

Book Littlefinger has more interesting plans and motivations and I'm confident his death by Sansa will be much better

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Alexander Siddig was happy to get paid for the episodes he didn't end up having to film, he was down for 4 but died within 5 minutes of the first one.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Same with Bronn, that pirate that became Master of Sails, the Boltons, etc

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Max posted:

The legend of Gin Alley and that entire raid really were the warning signs about the quality of D&D's imagination.

Skull drinking distracted everyone

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Dude has just lost all motivation or interest in the story now that the TV show has take on a life of it's own. I'm sure he wanted to finish it, but at this point it sounds like in every interview he just can't convince himself to write more of it with any consistency or drive. I'm no writer, but the general consensus seems to be if you want to finish stuff you gotta write it almost daily, and he by his own admission has been more interested in writing other stories and doing other projects (that aren't writing) than ASOFAI.

some guy on the bus posted:

Just look at GRRM's total state of confusion when Stephen King is talking to him about writing fast. That should tell you all you need to know about when TWOW is coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_PBqSPNTfg&t=3020s

IIRC Stephen King wakes up every morning and writes 2 500 words, has breakfast and goes about his day, then writes another 2 500 in the afternoon (I wrote this post before coming across sgonb's video link)

emanresu tnuocca posted:

GRRM recently said he gets three chapters done in 6 months. And I don't know if he counts going back and rewriting existing chapters in that tally or not.

A quick check of ADwD shows that it had... 72 chapters. That's 12 years to complete it, going by his numbers, when when we know it took 6, but I can see him slowing down as the ending gets nearer and nearer.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The show imploding (though this season was a lot better than last) makes me think about hwo much better the books are.

"There are dead things in the water" ravengraph from Hardhome for example.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What actor would make a good Duncan?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No joke, that cat (Black Bastard) is one of my favorite characters.

It's also a cute, innocent little thing years ago (when it was the princesses kitten) that survives King's Landing and becomes a dark, ugly thing. I think it represents Sansa's evolution into a player even better than (book) Littlefinger.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yes

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Did Reddit ever piece together the ending from those pages that someone found in a library and posted, only with black bars?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, but nerds were piecing the words together using the bits of font still visible. They had most of it done when I stopped checking, I wondered if they had finished.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

learnincurve posted:

To be even nerdier: The horses riding up steps was also huge, it looks cool on screen to the layman but what made it very very special is that it was actors doing it. People spend years working with a horse to form a partnership just to be able to do jumps - it's about leading the horse so it gets the angle and landing right but also allowing the horse to make it's own mind up. A horse that's not comfortable with a rider or a jump will have it's ears back and toss it's head and be tense - this is when they refuse and the rider goes head first over the horses head.

GOT put actors, without helmets on strange horses, and had the horse so well trained that they happily did arguably the most difficult stunt there is with the rider as a passenger. I would wonder if nikolaj coster-waldau knew how insanely dangerous that was, Charles Dance probably did though.

I thought they just put NC-W's face on a rider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think the stuff about Bran being the Night's King is fine as long as he gets killed

• Locked thread