Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hmm this dany scene might be interesting i think to myself *spends 10 minutes walking up to a room*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

euron's magically built fleet might've been the worst bit tbh.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm semi upset that the show might be implying that Cersei would be a semi-effectual ruler when in the books she was insanely bad at being queen

i thought the show was heading for her going off the deep end with how last season ended but i guess not??

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JT Jag posted:

I'm just gonna presume, with that baby suddenly growing up and Euron suddenly having a fleet and all and all the time it probably took to get the Freys in one place at the same time, that there's been a small timeskip between these two seasons

the narrow sea must be a helluva misnomer if so.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They all died choking on their own blood and Arya gave a speech about why that also reminded you of exactly what they did. It didn't happen much faster than the Red Wedding itself did. Plus these were all nameless bannermen anyway, Big Papa Frey got his own separate more drawn out comeuppance. Lady Stoneheart would have just been vignettes about killing various ugly but innocent Frey kids, what's emotionally satisfying about that?

the manderly poo poo was 10000 percent better than how this all went down on the show. it was anticlimactic as hell.

Supreme Allah posted:

I had never heard this name before tonight and all of the sudden a bunch of loving dorks nerds and spastics are losing their poo poo over some loving apparent singer guy.

Calm your tits because you sound like the most complete bitches of all time

do you people all live under rocks? he had a hit song that was everywhere for months this year.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WampaLord posted:

The cameo itself didn't bother me at all, he actually has quite a lovely voice, but the goons coming in here and going "lol just lol if you don't know who this pop singer is" was pretty loving embarrassing.

tho i agree not actually recognizing him is fine, it's actually way more embarrassing that several posters are so goony as to not have heard "shape of you" despite it being goddamn everywhere for months. nobody listens to the radio guys. we still all heard it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

Was it on the hit show Big Bang theory?

you tell me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

Lol, I don't see how I'm supposed to just hear this song. My radio in my truck is either NPR or my old man ears Spotify playlist. And I only have Netflix and HBO streaming services so no commercials. I am seriously curious how your so versed in this pop music without actually seeking it out.

you uh go out. you go to bars. you go to people's houses when they have parties and are playing music. pop culture osmosis is a thing dude. i don't watch your favorite show bbt but i know barenaked ladies does the theme song from catching like ten seconds of it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bloom posted:

What if you go to parties and bars where they play good music instead?

lol

Lycus posted:

This isn't actually what normal people are talking endlessly about.

all the normies i'm friends with had snaps of his dumb mug up on their snapchat stories with poo poo like ???? *cue chorus of goons talking about how they'd never be caught dead using snapchat*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

Edit: sorry groovelord, I don't normally post this much but it's a slow morning at work and making fun of you is making my day go by quicker.

you aren't having much success but that may be the married with kids thing so you're way out of the loop. (grown women send a lot more naked pics than teenagers i reckon)

Nail Rat posted:

I've heard the song a million times now that I listened to it. They play it at the gym literally every hour, not to mention a bunch of times at bars I'm sure.

yeah i was gonna say "you probably heard it at the gym" but stopped myself because y;know got thread.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also interesting in that they seem much younger than other soldiers we've seen, showing how the war has decimated the population. that may just be coincidence i can't imagine our hack fraud showrunners would do that on purpose.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

Also I highly doubt the grown women naked pics thing, usually you get smarter as you get older.

snapchat pictures don't last forever. it's the point of the app.

WampaLord posted:

Like the shot of the White Walkers walking towards the camera goes on for like a minute and a half, and just to establish that they still are around. And while Sam's montage was good, I got the point of it after like 30 seconds but it just kept going and going and going.

Do we really need to pad for time? In this 8 episode season?

it was like how nothing happens in season 5 so they could've actually put the proper "the north remembers" plot line in there. or why kill off all the freys at once if you're just gonna do the poo poo like you posted. when i was watching dany come ashore i checked how much time was left and thought cool we'll get one more scene. lol nope.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 17, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

Can't you just screenshot your phone and save the titty pics? This is important information for research purposes.

it tells the person you screenshotted the pic so they won't be sending you more.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah he has a nice voice, his throwback celtic features fit in with the aesthetic, and the scene didn't focus on him. There was zero wrong with the cameo.

he is an ugly boy with the worst tats so he's lucky he has that sonorous voice and hit it big or he'd never get laid.

shape of you is a much funnier song when you know what he looks like.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dejan Bimble posted:

I was surprised by the cameo, because I thought, wow they almost never have extras this ugly, then I realized it was multi platinum recording artist Ed Sheerhan

at least they put an uglier guy near him and gave him all the lines.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tree Dude posted:

Next season is 8. I can understand the confusion. I don't know what these "we don't have time for this!" people want though. Cut the Walkers by 30 seconds to show you........?

You just want a black screen with text telling you what happens in broad strokes? You could get through a lot like that.

things happening would be nice.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

romanowski posted:

this is funny because earlier in the thread a couple of goons were implying that nobody cared about the show anymore because there wasn't any media coverage (????) and nobody was hosting viewing parties

they just had too high of an opinion of the general audience.

Le Saboteur posted:

I see a lot of talk about this Dave Hill guy in this thread. Who is this guy? The only credits he has on IMDB are Game of Thrones.

he's the guy that suggested olly should kill ygritte so they hired him as a writer. he produced the best running joke from these threads.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

Ok full disclosure groovelord I came home from work and my wife was watching it cause she fell asleep early last night. Scene came on and like a half second into it she was like "is that ed scheeren"

I started laughing a lot and kinda had to explain myself. Needless to say she called me a douchebag and now I have to admit you probably have a point.

i told you man!

Blazing Ownager posted:

What sucks is the Euron I heard a bout from the books is kind of an awesome full on ridiculous dread pirate. This guy is a preening rear end in a top hat. It's like they say the same things, like being the best raider that ever lived, but I think I'd believe it about the book version and laugh about the ego with the show version. I don't know if that's intentional.

not casting ian mcshane as euron was a gigantic misstep.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 18, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Little Kielbasa posted:

You mean Mads Mikkelsen

a bit too refined.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skasion posted:

I like that Jaime actually points out how terrible and stupid the strategic situation is at this point though it doesn't give me any hope that they will write it to make sense at all.

this was funny cuz loving up strategically hasn't ever mattered for the lannisters on the show (or in the books).

i mean if we're going to be tactically realistic - dany wins the second she lands because her army has to be bigger than everyone else combined. she could just starve out king's landing. love to see what dumb poo poo allows cersei to keep power for any time at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Also the dragons. gently caress "starving them out" you just burn them out.

Time for everyone to remember how much of a game changer dragons are.

oh yeah i'm a goddamn idiot she could have no army and still win automagically because she has loving dragons.

now it's gonna be even dumber when she doesn't just win right away!

drunken officeparty posted:

What are the odds we never see Essos again and 6 seasons of Dany playing politics and liberator means nothing

this is why she should've starved outside qarth.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they're mostly barren rocks. it's why they had to pillage they can barely grow anything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

What bothers me most in this stupid show is how people who walk around what looks like the equivalent of northern Greenland don't wear scarves or even a hood or cap. They're bundled up in furs but then leave their neck and face totally exposed to snowstorms and stuff.

maybe it's like how people from florida think anything below 60 degrees is coat weather.

they're used to the cold.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why didn't they just make one final season of 10 episodes where each was 80 minutes or something.

tho i don't see how this stretches out for even two shortened seasons anyway. this poo poo is gonna make 20 good men look realistical in comparison.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ague Proof posted:

It takes a while to do all the special effects.

we had to wait extra long this year for 3 fewer eps.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bran sucks rear end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JBP posted:

My knowledge of pop culture is absolute dogshit so I didn't realise Ed Sheeran was in the show and I thought it was just some vaguely familiar looking dude. What is the issue with him being in the show? That scene was pretty good...

it really takes you out of the scene from the start if you know who he is. they were smart to give him pretty much zero lines tho.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

their new show sounds loving awful.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's gonna fail bigly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how the gently caress would there be a third civil war. how would the south have survived even a second one. what the gently caress.

the movie csa was created to satirize modern day using the confederacy, it wasn't serious.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

They built a time machine to assassinate General Sherman's parents before he was born.

lol they shoulda just adapted guns of the south in which some afrikaners go back in time to give the confederates ak-47s.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

If they don't how do they survive as a pariah state?

yeah if you transported the csa and usa to the current day you'd def have a north korea/south korea situation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

L O loving L

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/888346504527826944

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

for real how do you forget the name of the bloodiest day in american history.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

neil gaiman's quote keeps aging terribly and i love it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

radlum posted:

What quote?

years ago when people were complaining the book wasn't out neil gaiman said that grrm "isn't your bitch".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

That makes me think of Ben stiller calling that pharaoh dude out in Mystery Men.

"your temper is very quick my friend, but until you learn to master your rage --"
"your rage will become your master? that's what you were gonna say? right? right?"
"...not necessarily."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think he's now just doing it out of spite that the show beat him to it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

esperterra posted:

Your username and av combo continues to be my favourite on this awful website.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

GRUM is a good writer, gotta admit that.

i tried reading the first book and couldn't get through it due to the writing. and i didn't even get to a meal scene.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

some guy on the bus posted:

Yet you're able to watch the show?

the show was good for four seasons. i can't just quit after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

some guy on the bus posted:

Even in Season 1 and 2, it was giving us "Play with her rear end" and Shae talking about how she loves the smell of cum in the morning.

How can you tolerate that but not be able take the books?

television shows and books are different media.

such a bizarre angle to take too. if i don't like how the guy constructs sentences and paragraphs and pages some bad lines from the show aren't gonna make me go hmm actually i should just soldier through these books.

• Locked thread