Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
One of the things that was really impressive about the book back when I read them in the late 90s was that it felt so much more real than other fantasy. Like people dying but also horrible stuff happening in a pretty much medieval way.
That still carries on with the later books and how hosed the smallfolk are.

The show just feels like it throws that all in the bin. Nobody I was watching with really knew who Beric or Thoros were (other than Dennis Pennis). It's just...how can you watch a character driven drama when nobody know who anyone is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I'm reading the Aubrey-Maturin series right now and at one point Jack mentions that despite the Surprise being one of the smallest ships in the fleet, it has 200 men aboard, with some of the larger ships having 500, so those 1000 ships would need to be crewed by minimum 200 000 men, and based on some of those juggernauts they showed, closer to half a million.

All they care about is if it looks dramatic. And that's it. Anything else is thrown out of the window.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

So in this season Davos is going to find Gendry in KL, where he is working as blacksmith again (keep in mind that Cersei wants him killed) and has him row his boat back to Dragonstone - where not only Mel is hanging out, who might want to burn him, but also a certain Dragon queen, who might want to burn him because he is the son of the usurper who killed her brother.

I'm loath to reply to captain fascism but I don't really see why Gendry matters now.

The Baratheons are dead and barely mattered in the show anyway. I doubt most people even remember who Robert was at this point. Just forget Gendry because he's a complete dead end for the story the show is telling.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

the plan would be far less stupid without euron inheriting ramsay's magical powers and knowing they're gonna pull even more bullshit so there's parity when "realistically" cersei would get destroyed in a week due to having no allies and virtually no manpower after years of war.

It's funny that song of ice and fire got popular because it was "more realistic" fantasy that was prepared to take risks.
Which is the exact polar opposite of what the show is.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I had to watch the Thronecast after the episode and man the people on there were seriously reaching to give a reason that Cersei had gone from useless and scared to some sort of tactical genius in only one season.

Although the guy who plays Hodor did basically say it's not written as well as it was!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

well in the book Cersei's main problem was that her narcissism led her to surround herself with complete incompetents (while at the same time she got mad that these incompetents were completely unable to do anything). Right now she has Jaime, Euron, and Randall Tarly (plus whatever Reach bannermen aren't defecting).

Yea. I get why they can't use the Kettleblacks and why the Kingsguard barely even matter - I doubt most show watchers know what they even are - but it seriously harms her character.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Decius posted:

Should have written the books then if it annoyed him. Apparently it was not enough to do some actual work.

I know it's been said before but I really blame the show for him not finishing the books. Not because it's taking up his time but because he's now terrified of it not being good enough. Especially after what happened with Feast/Dance.
He had that huge timegap planned out and then it didn't work. And now the books aren't quite working and the show has gone past that bit as well and he just doesn't know how to do it and for it to work.

It's a shame that his book series that I started in loving 1997 is going to end in stupid fanfiction.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

skasion posted:

I don't agree. The show (and concomitant financial success) definitely didn't help, and the fact that they beat him to the punch makes me doubt he will ever finish, but he was already running out of steam after Storm. The entirety of the first three books were published in a shorter interval than the gap between Storm and Feast. He has himself to blame, he bit off more than he could chew.

The first three came out because he had them planned out.
Then he was going to have his multi year gap in the story but realised it didn't work. Like I mentioned in my post, that's what's caused it at the start.

And now he's paralysed with it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

He the annoying salesman in The Office (UK).

Yes, Finchy.

It's sometimes weird that someone like him who is so super famous in the UK is a mystery to US viewers. I guess the same goes for Mark Gatiss having a cameo in this week's episode.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's annoying that all it requires for people to love the episode is any sort of battle scene.

Not as annoying as it is that it does feel as though the ending will be Jon and Dany ruling together. Which surely isn't what GRRM is (isn't) going to write, since the entire idea is how feudalism is poo poo and all the smallfolk are dying over stupid familial arguments.
But all that has been ignored in the show I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

InFlames235 posted:

The best part about people complaining in this thread is they're acting like GRRM didn't suck rear end at writing his own story with books 4 and 5. I'm just glad we're getting a conclusion. It might be a bullet points conclusion but it's the bullet points that GRRM gave them so close enough. Books 4 and 5 were so boring and crap that I don't have much faith in the future books anyways.

4 and 5 were setting the scene. I'm not going to say they were amazing but they still had a lot of good moments and (other than the weird repeating phrases) good writing as well.

The show doesn't have that.

It feels like all anyone cares about though is huge action scenes. Outside of here everyone else I know thinks it's better than ever because the dragons are burning people and etc. I've mentioned before that I work for the company who broadcasts the show in the UK so I get a LOT of feedback about it and nobody else is negative about it regardless of how stupid it's got.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Decius posted:

I wish they would have been better at translating the one central idea the last two books had to the screen: When the big boys and girls fight, poo poo rains down on all commoners regardless of affiliation. Out of this several plot points (like the Sparrows) developed, which worked not at all without this foundation when put on TV.

There's so much that's not there from Dance/Feast but the way the common people feel about the war is a huge part of it. I thought the Sparrows in the TV show was poo poo even though it had Pryce because it just didn't fit with the other things they've built.
And yet people loved it anyway. So it just doesn't matter.

I've said it before but it's such a shame that something so "different" from normal fantasy has been turned into just a normal TV show at this point.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

basic hitler posted:

I'm a nerd who helps keep chatacters together and plot points fresh and all that for my sisters and parents and a few less nerdy friends. I whine a lot on here but i would rather let people in real life enjoy their titty dragons, so i keep my discontentment to myself. They may need help keeping it all together but my small sample size is all very loving unhappy at how dumb and brainless the show has become. Yeah people like the action scenes but this season's pacing has done nothing but seriously anger nearly everyone i know who watches this show, the dialogue has been a recurring joke since season 5 at least.

All the reviews of the show are loving the new direction and as I say people here are also loving it. I've not heard anything negative.

It's a shame, it deserves that. Especially considering how Walking Dead has drawn a lot of criticism in the last seasons and I'd say this is doing the same sort of stupid lazy storytelling.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

They're fake. They contradict themselves about Howland Reed being killed then being alive, Jaime's motivations, pretty crucially that Daenerys can't get pregnant, and the biggest for me is that they don't even mention the Night King's death or who kills him and how, arguably the most important detail if we're going by the amount of effort put into building him as a villain. It's essentially "The Night King died on the way back to his home planet."

To be fair that contradiction makes them seem more real since the "true" spoilers had that a bit. It's likely deliberate, because surely if you'd written fan fiction and posted it as spoilers you'd remember what you'd said?

The whole show is fan fiction at this point though, who loving cares. Empire rolls up and gives this episode 5/5 for some reason.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Decius posted:

I wonder if the dreadful scores E6 got even in mainstream reviews had to do with reviewers having a week to digest it and mull over it instead of having to blast their poo poo out inside of minutes after broadcast.

This week at least even the Guardian has said "It's really rushed".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I do hope that these storylines actually go to places if GRRM does finish the books. There's so much stuff cut from the actual story now (wargs, fAegon, etc etc) that it wouldn't be hard for a lot of these loose ends to properly go somewhere.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Going by all we've seen and the fLeaks my guess is that the night king plays 11th dimensional chess and that the plan was to replace himself with the psychically talented bran.

There've not been any psychically talented individuals in the last 8000 years then or what?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

skasion posted:

Imho the Others are lovely do-nothing villains to begin with and Martin obviously doesn't really know how to follow through on their plot, so I'm not surprised the geniuses that run the show couldn't come up with anything better than Cool Ranch Darth Maul.

He definitely has an end planned out for them and has a "reason" written for them too. How the characters reach that now he hasn't got his five year gap? That's what's hosed it up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

With the episode on Monday it's the first time that people I've been watching it with (and the wider audience) haven't been happy about an episode.
Mostly the consensus seems to be "So what was littlefinger's plan anyway??". Not just in this episode but at all, ever. What was his plan? It's like his entire character has now been totally wasted.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DrNutt posted:

It's too bad the Shannara show was so bad. If it had been picked up by Showtime or even loving SyFy it would probably have been okay. However Manu Bennet as Allanon was great loving casting and the scene with Star Trek TMP was glorious. "Our people have been to space, we have proof!" :downs:

I loved the Shannara books as a kid and always thought that the Reaper bit where it's chasing the main woman through that abandoned Watchtower was amazing.
But then I realised that if you have it on the screen it's definitely not going to work as well because it's forced to make explicit the links to the past instead of just describing them in a way that makes it ambiguous.

And then they blew the reaper up by taking him to some area of radiation or a minefield or something. It feels like some parts of the books were written to be a TV show and they just threw it all away. I'm never going to say it was deep or anything but it could have been successful.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I don't really expect us to ever learn what the Wall is for and why it's there because so much of the history that makes the books interesting isn't mentioned in the show at all.
When people talk about the programme nobody ever seems to talk about who the Others are and why the wall was built.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

basic hitler posted:

i think it's pretty cool. There's a tendency for fantasy writers to make other races paragons of some kind of human virtue. To just have the children of the forest be magical neolithic assholes is kind of neat.

The children have been sort of wasted in the show though. If I were Bran I'd have at least asked them a few questions when he was sharing the cave with them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

lezard_valeth posted:

False prophet!?!?!?!?

As we all know, the death of a leader makes that cause instantly vanish. By show logic if they'd just stabbed Cersei when they had their big meeting everything would have been sorted and fine and nobody would have minded.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

skasion posted:

Check out Kay if you want that. Eddison's Zimiamvia is more like, I dunno, Shakespearean Intrigue Valhalla where the spirits of people who were badass in life get to do badass things again in death.

If I absolutely hated Ouroboros is it still worth trying Zimiavia? It was like reading a viking saga where loads of stuff is just alluded to and nothing interesting is ever described in the prose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

skasion posted:

No. I completely disagree but if you think nothing happens in the Worm you should basically never read anything else Eddison ever wrote.

I've read loads of sagas and it just felt like that. Where the important thing is bigging up the characters and their really specific deeds and absolutely gently caress all about what's going on around them.

• Locked thread