Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
y'all, it's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ERcn7jeA_8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

KNOCC 'EM DOWN

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
5dr has the best soundtrack if you're playing a short set
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVL2tLjEDlU

tag1 has the best soundtrack if you're playing a long set
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK1s6b3voQw

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
even when it came out my respone to tag 2 was largely "why is this so bad, unlike every other tekken game?" outside of a few good songs. tekken 7 being even worse doesn't really correct that. I sure miss the feature that let you replace stage music with literally any song you had on the console though, wonder if that kind of thing is just outright illegal for a modern game or they just didn't care to put that in

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

The tag 2 ost is redeemed by having IT'S NOT A TUNA which is the best track in the entire franchise

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Accidentally learning Ling because I've been using Miharu in tt2 to mess with people is not where I expected be be but here I am. I've used ling in t7 a bunch now as well and I have a respect for how difficult the character is to use. A lot of options to keep in mind. I don't know why she has the reputation of cheesy and high tier. I think she's very obviously pretty fair (as far as tekken goes) and mid tier.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, the rule-breaking stuff like AoP and b+1 drives some people mad, but there's really no case to be made that Xiaoyu is high tier in this season. She has tricky stuff, but most of it is pretty unsafe and short range.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Ling is one of those lei type characters that will never win anything at high level but are excruciating to deal against at beginner and intermediate levels

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Aop isn't that evasive anymore (compared to earlier seasons) and you can't block from it. B1 has like microscopic range and its (imo) an upper midtier defensive option, nothing special compared to good armors/parries/back swing moves most the cast have. After maining eddy a lot I realize people just don't bother to think about low poking people out of stance and that they just want to rip off high strings over and over. I think a beginner ling would struggle more than a lot of other beginner character picks tbh.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Seltzer posted:

B1 has like microscopic range and its (imo) an upper midtier defensive option, nothing special compared to good armors/parries/back swing moves most the cast have.

It comes out at like 8 or 9 frames, so I find it's a good desperation tool for when my opponent is giving me no space and thinks they can keep pouring on the pressure safely. Definitely not a move to throw out in the open, though.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ling is secretly really fun. I wanna pull off the wall hypnotize 2 setup soon. I was looking at patchnotes for her, the recent b3 from -4 on block to +2 has to be a pretty big change for pressuring with rds right? I've been using in nuetral but I've only used her since it's been +2

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 12, 2020

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oh no I put too much time into learning Anna on the side for fun and now I'm better at her than Marduk :cripes:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

How was tekken 6 received/what's it's legacy? I've been playing it online a decent amount recently since it was free on xbox. I like it quite a bit, t7s systems and visuals are more polished but I like t6s stages and soundtrack more. Also it might've been an unpopular feature but I like the how the game does a round end slomo replay from a different camera angle and the cutscene of the character picking themself up for the next round.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Tekken 6 Bob was the leroy before leroy. The last t6 evo ended with 4 Bobs in the top 8 and Bob vs Bob grand finals

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

neosloth posted:

Tekken 6 Bob was the leroy before leroy. The last t6 evo ended with 4 Bobs in the top 8 and Bob vs Bob grand finals

Yea I heard the balancing was not great but outside of that is it remembered well? Everyone I run into playing in 2020 is playing for fun so I haven't seen a single bob yet or an abundance of broken/high tier characters.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

They should make otgf safe again

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

tekken 6 made all the mishimas middling tier after they were "why play anyone else?" tier in the previous tekken game (5DR) and then instead the "why play anyone else" characters were bob (joked as the fourth mishima because he had most of the key mishima moves in some form but also none of the weaknesses but instead of a cool anime edgelord he was a big fat goofball) and lars (a mishima in lore but he didn't even have a wavedash, instead he did anime flips and wore a novelty door knocker on his clothes)

so all of the masku types really hated the game. is what I'm getting at. it had some pretty serious issues but tekken 6 was also the debut of characters like armor king and dragnov, a lot of really cool changes to characters happened in this game (feng's stance was actually worth doing, for example), and for some reason customization was way better and more indepth than tekken 7.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

darealkooky posted:

tekken 6 was also the debut of characters like armor king and dragunov

Incredibly wrong on every concievable level.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Armor King was King's sub-boss in Tekken 1 my guy. Unless you mean Armor King 2 in which case that's 5dr which is also where Dragunov debuted

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

tekken 6 made all the mishimas middling tier after they were "why play anyone else?" tier in the previous tekken game (5DR) and then instead the "why play anyone else" characters were bob (joked as the fourth mishima because he had most of the key mishima moves in some form but also none of the weaknesses but instead of a cool anime edgelord he was a big fat goofball) and lars (a mishima in lore but he didn't even have a wavedash, instead he did anime flips and wore a novelty door knocker on his clothes)

so all of the masku types really hated the game. is what I'm getting at. it had some pretty serious issues but tekken 6 was also the debut of characters like armor king and dragnov, a lot of really cool changes to characters happened in this game (feng's stance was actually worth doing, for example), and for some reason customization was way better and more indepth than tekken 7.

Devil Jin was the only top-tier Mishima in T5 (other stronks were Steve, Nina, Feng). Dragunov was added in Tekken 5. Armor King was added in Tekken 1.

Tekken 6 was fine overall. Bob was cheap but not T4 Jin cheap by any means, and it served as the basis for TTT2. There isn't much reason to go back to it from T7 except for the relative lack of gimmicky characters. T5 is a lot more fun to return to because the pacing pre-Bound was better.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah it looks like T6 brought in

Alisa, Leo, Lars, Miguel, Zafina, and Bob..... Miguel, Zafina, and sort of Alisa are the only good editions for me from that.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Incredibly wrong on every concievable level.

5DR armor king is wildly different from legacy armor king (ignoring the fact that it's not even the same guy) who was pretty much just "king but with a WGF and a few different moves". both him and dragnov were basically unplayable in DR & it was only in tekken 6 where they got a bunch of new moves and their existing moves made less bad that people actually played them at all. it's just a joke, bro.

also, nina really good in 5DR? you're getting it twisted with 5.0, she was nerfed a lot in dr (like a lot of characters were, rip bruce)

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 27, 2020

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Seltzer posted:

Yea I heard the balancing was not great but outside of that is it remembered well? Everyone I run into playing in 2020 is playing for fun so I haven't seen a single bob yet or an abundance of broken/high tier characters.

Not really remembered fondly well. 7 does everything 6 did better

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I think I'm going to try to actually learn kunimitsu in TT2 which does sound kind of like a stupid waste of time but I like the character and playing older tekkens. Hopefully she gets released before T8. One of the annoying things in TT2 is who its 50/50 whether you're on P1 or P2 side. With my mains im pretty comfortable on P2 but I usually am bad with characters I'm learning. Maybe it's a crutch but Kunimitsu has that super huge flip that can put you back into P1 real easily instead of going for a side switch throw or something.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Definitely now settled into having Eddy as a main and Feng as my secondary. I feel like the more I progress and learn tekken mechanics the more fun Feng becomes. I just wish he could get like +10 damage to his bnb combo. Doing 60 off a launch is pretty lovely in S3.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
New season (and net code!) out. Tekken's always run well for me (on PC; have to try it on PS4 to see if it still takes 10 minutes to connect to a match on there), but others are saying the net code improvements are quite noticeable. Anyone try out Kunimitsu?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Skjorte posted:

New season (and net code!) out. Tekken's always run well for me (on PC; have to try it on PS4 to see if it still takes 10 minutes to connect to a match on there), but others are saying the net code improvements are quite noticeable. Anyone try out Kunimitsu?

Not available here yet. I tried like 5 matches last night and It's too early for me to speak on the netcode improvements but I will say being able to deny wifi users is great. My first match was 5 bar wifi and I joined as a test. Multiple long freezes that messed up the match and his signal didnt even drop below 5. The other wired matches I played (4 bar and up) didn't have that issue.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Netcode nothing short of magic for me, played games against prople from Aftica, Russia and the USA with no bother at all from the UK

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah, its really amazing what they did with it. I got kind of burned out of playing against the same few people in ranked but now I'm getting matches from all corners of the globe.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I've used Kunimitsu a bit now... I'm not that hyped on the character as I thought I'd be. I like evasive stance characters (my main is eddy) but it feels like the usefulness of her stances and the fluidity of getting into and out of them is way lower than other stance heavy characters I've used. Eddy, Feng, and Xiaoyu all seem to have a logical flow and a lot of ways to dip into and out of stances, kunimitsu's seem kinda half baked. It could just be I haven't had enough time but I'm a little underwhelmed. I wish I could see the Tekken 8 roster now though because I want to find a real comain for eddy and I'm decent with Ling and Feng but I would absolutely try to learn Lei if I knew he would make it.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

TBH you should have at least one character in your pocket who can play a plus neutral game. Gimmick boxes have a definite ceiling.

There are like seven Lei players and if they're smart they'll ship the game with a much smaller roster so I wouldn't expect to see him except as DLC.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Kuni is a bit of a deceptive character in that her stances are mostly gimmicks for niche cases or loving up noobs while her core is a very basic spacing and whiff punishment game with a couple of solid pokes and an excellent backdash. She kinda just isn't what a lot of people think she is.

Seltzer posted:

I wish I could see the Tekken 8 roster now

If they go the usual route with arcade release first you will know 3/4s of the Tekken 8 roster a year before the home release. Also probably at least another 2 years in the future, learn whoever you like.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 7, 2020

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

AFashionableHat posted:

TBH you should have at least one character in your pocket who can play a plus neutral game. Gimmick boxes have a definite ceiling.

There are like seven Lei players and if they're smart they'll ship the game with a much smaller roster so I wouldn't expect to see him except as DLC.

I mean.... people win tournaments with eddy and ling. I like playing characters I have fun with. I got quite good with Kazumi and Negan but they're definitely not making tekken 8. I think all the legacy DLC will turn up in the base game in 8. Lei being in 2-7 (albeit dlc) gives me some hope he'll be in 8.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Absolutely, people win tournaments with Eddy and Ling. I commentated Spero Gin coming in like fifth in Lockdown League against players with good neutral, though.

I didn't say "don't main them", they're cool. But having a character who can sit at range 3 and not be already dead by default (as in, "you will die unless you are significantly better than your opponent") is helpful.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Autsj posted:

If they go the usual route with arcade release first you will know 3/4s of the Tekken 8 roster a year before the home release. Also probably at least another 2 years in the future, learn whoever you like.

A post pandemic arcade release for a fighting game? Hell, it is Namco. Why not.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Also, I absolutely think Kazumi is in Tekken 8. She is the archetypal Tekken 7 character and she has a huge fanbase.

I think Claudio, Leroy, and Fakhumram are likely to not return. Shaheen is questionable, as he’s in many ways overlapped by Law. Chloe and Kazumi feel like obvious keepers though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Tekken generally hasn't ditched new characters when moving to the next game, if anything it would be Shaheen to go I reckon, as hes very very dull

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm still not over Jun Kazama making it back after TTT2, I loved her design, and I feel like Kazumi took her spot. :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

can't wait to pick up my main man Dr B again in tekken 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

AFashionableHat posted:

Also, I absolutely think Kazumi is in Tekken 8. She is the archetypal Tekken 7 character and she has a huge fanbase.

I hadn't paid attention to Tekken for a long time before 7, and I was very surprised to learn that Kazumi was brand new. Her story relevance, design, gameplay, everything makes her feel like she's a character that's been around forever.