Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Egypt is a really great place to visit (am part Egyptian, so biased, but hey!) I was last there in 2005, so I don't have any SUPER great advice, but here are my recommendations:

1. Make sure you are respectful of local social preferences. Even my local family, who are not Muslim, get irritated with tourists who wear tank tops and short-shorts and drink alcohol in random places/tourist sites. Ask your tour guide if you're not sure. We had a really great guide for the times we weren't with our family and she was very chill and liberal, but very clear about what to do where.

2. Don't go with someone who beckons you over to see something; it'll be nothing and they'll want baksheesh. Actually, lots of people will want baksheesh, and you are not obligated to pay it.

3. If you bargain for a long time over an expensive item, BUY IT. Don't waste their time for hours haggling and drinking tea. If you are really not interested, just smile, thank them, and move on quickly.

4. If someone tells you an item is [however many] pounds, restate it and specify "[number] Egyptian pounds?"

5. GET A DUKORAL SHOT BEFORE YOU LEAVE. Or whatever anti-diarrheal vaccine is available.

6. Bring hand sanitizer, bottled water, and toilet paper everywhere with you, and don't drink the water even in tourist restaurants. I learned that the hard way.

7. Don't eat molokhiyya :barf: (just my opinion!)

8. The snorkeling and scuba diving in Egypt is amazing, if you are into that.

Most of my advice is the same as Ramms+ein's except that you should also go to Alexandria. It's a beautiful city with amazing history and, if you like fish, good fish. Also my family is from Alexandria, so I'm biased.

We did a Nile cruise, which was a nice way to travel while sightseeing, but I was so sick I barely remember it. We booked with Misr Travel, IIRC, and they were pretty good and reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Oh, and SMALL CHANGE. You will have to randomly pay for bathroom access, and TP if you don't bring your own.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

webmeister posted:

Also useful for that baksheesh guy who just won't piss off, no matter how many times you tell him no. Even the guy who wrestled your backpack off your back at the airport, carried it six feet to a taxi and then demanded money :v:

I tripped on the curb once and stumbled. An older man caught my elbow, asked if I was okay, then immediately started asking for baksheesh. I think I was so overwhelmed and ill (dysentery AND a sinus infection; fun trip!) that I started crying and scared him away.

Fun story: My dad was offered five million camels for my lovely hand in marriage, top offer. His response? "That's just inflation." THANKS DAD

• Locked thread