Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
I lived in Egypt for a year and visited almost everywhere. Enough people speak English and are used to dealing with foreigners that you don't really need to do a tour and you can travel around on your own. Egypt is a pretty varied country and so depending on what you are interested in, you can find something to appeal to you. I assume you'll fly into Cairo and you'll want to spend a couple days here to include the Pyramids, the Egypt Museum (which I still think is downtown and hasn't moved to it's new location yet), Khan El-Kheili (market for souvernirs) and Islamic Cairo. Optionally, to the south are two other pyramid sites which I think are worth visiting including Saqarra (Step Pyramid) and Dahshur (Bent and Red pyramids). You can make it down there with public transport but it's difficult so you'll wanna hire a taxi.

A lot of people go to the Sinai Peninsula but I think that's a bit sketchy these days but if you do go, Dahab is a better place to go to the beach/snorkeling than Sharm El Sheikh and it's really cool to spend the night on Mt. Sinai and watch the sunrise and then go to Saint Catherine.

To the south, most of the area between Cairo and Luxor was off limits to foreigners when I was there in 2008. I'd recommend either flying down to Luxor and you can spend a couple days between Luxor and a bit further south at Aswan. There are a lot of Ancient Egypt ruins between both cities. About three hours to the south of Aswan is Abu Simbel which has an incredible complex of temples that were saved by German archaeologists. The tourist convoys leave at like 3/4 a.m. so I would skip it and take the public bus at like 7/8 a.m. and when you get down there, you'll have the whole complex to yourself.

I'd also highly recommend taking a trip to the White and Black deserts and spending a night in the White Desert. Incredible experience you won't want to miss. You can take a bus from Cairo to Bahriyyah and find a tourguide once you get there.

The pound is pretty weak to the dollar so everything should be really cheap although I don't know how inflation has affected everything. If you have any further questions or want to know more details, feel free to let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Most of my advice is the same as Ramms+ein's except that you should also go to Alexandria. It's a beautiful city with amazing history and, if you like fish, good fish. Also my family is from Alexandria, so I'm biased.

I lived in Alex for a year and if I went back it would be the first place I'd go! But it's hard to justify it for a short trip. Now I'm all hungry for some Muhammad Ahmed. Although if the OP goes to Siwa, the buses leave from Alex so it might be worth a day then.

• Locked thread