Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Hello! My name is Ashley, and I love the Banjo-Kazooie series, and Rareware as a developer. I'm here to take you on a walk through my favorite series of all time, the Banjo-Kazooie trilogy (or "Banjo-Triloogie" as I like to call it. The G is soft like in 'trilogy' not like 'loogie'.)

I'll be playing each game on the Xbox 360, and showing off the renewed Stop n Swop feature, which was originally a dummied out mechanic meant to carry data between Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, restored in the 360 versions. Joining me are my three closest friends, Amy, Alexa, and Demotick, as rotating co-commentators.

Currently Playing:

Banjo-Kazooie was released in 1998 on the Nintendo 64 by Rare. It's a 3D platformer starring both a bird and a bear. Released when I was five, it quickly became my favorite game. And nearly twenty years later, I still feel the same!

This version of the game is from the Xbox Live Arcade, because it's the best version I've ever played. It features cleaner graphics, smoother framerates, and the long rumored Stop n Swop. The improvements they made will make your eyeballs pop!

My name is Ashley, and I will be playing. Rotating guests Amy, Alexa, and Demotick will be surveying. Join us for good times galore. I hope you don't find these videos a bore!

Banjo-Kazooie Part 1: Spiral Mountain (Guest: Demotick)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 2: Mumbo's Mountain (Guest: Demotick)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 3: Treasure Trove Cove (Guest: Alexa)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 4: Clanker's Cavern (Guest: Amy)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 5: Bubblegloop Swamp (Guest: Amy)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 6: Freezeezy Peak (Guest: Demotick)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 7: Gobi's Valley (Guest: Amy)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 8: Mad Monster Mansion (Guest: Alexa)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 9: Rusty Bucket Bay (Guest: Demotick)

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
reserved post

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Phrosphor posted:

I'm amazed that you are acknowledging Banjo three, especially after what they did to Grunty.

I actually really love Nuts and Bolts. Once you get past the fact that it's a weird sequel, it's great.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 3: Treasure Trove Cove (Guest: Alexa)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 4: Clanker's Cavern (Guest: Amy)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
That was mostly a joke, but I personally don't like Mario 64 at all. I feel like it's aged really poorly and just isn't fun to play anymore. I mostly just don't like the controls or a lot of the power stars (an example I always like to point to is "Blast Away the Secret Wall" which feels like some "buy the strategy guide" bullshit)

The stages in Banjo-Kazooie feel a lot more cohesive than the ones in Mario 64. The levels in Mario 64 feel like collections of platforming challenges stuck onto each other, while in Banjo-Kazooie they feel like places that might actually exist. I just like the charm of Banjo-Kazooie and the personality of it over Mario 64. I also just like Mario better as a stage-based game rather than a more open thing like 64 and Sunshine.

But yeah, I'm not gonna actually say Banjo-Kazooie is objectively better than Mario 64, I just like it more. Mario 64 did a lot of extremely important things for video games as a medium and Banjo-Kazooie really didn't do anything important at all, I just think today Banjo is more fun to play than Mario.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

You also said you like the game's simple formula of "complete a challenge, get a Jiggy", but I'd be hard-pressed to call anything in the game particularly challenging. That tower atop Treasure Trove Cove is no Whomp's Fortress, for example, and many of the Jiggies are just sitting around waiting to be grabbed.

The Jiggies do get a little bit more complex as the game goes on, but really it's more Banjo-Tooie where the design really gets interesting. I feel like Tooie sometimes goes a bit overboard in complexity, but you might like its design a bit better; there aren't really any Jiggies just lying around in that game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Hell yeah I am all over this poo poo. I was more of a Tooie fan so I'll be excitedly waiting for those videos while gobbling up this delicious Content™. I've noticed a pretty divisive split between those who think Tooie is too grandiose or not. Out of Kazooie and Tooie which would you say is the better game?

I think they're both fantastic games, but I personally prefer Kazooie. For the typical reason of "I feel like they went a bit overboard on stage size and the requirements for some of the Jiggies." It doesn't make me dislike the game like it does for a lot of people, I just prefer the simpler design of Kazooie over it.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 5: Bubblegloop Swamp (Guest: Amy)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 6: Freezeezy Peak (Guest: Demotick)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 7: Gobi's Valley (Guest: Amy)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 8: Mad Monster Mansion (Guest: Alexa)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 9: Rusty Bucket Bay (Guest: Demotick)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
They're very different gameplay-wise, but I do see the similarities between Clanker's Cavern and Rusty Bucket bay in that they're both grungy and filthy and there's a lot of rusty metal everywhere. I do feel they're more different from each other aesthetically than say, Cool Cool Mountain and Snowman's Land are though.

Not to keep bringing up Mario 64 and beating that horse, I just can't actually think of any other good examples off the top of my head.

• Locked thread