Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I'm really not a fan of Banjo Kazooie in the least, but this seems like an opportunity to see it with new eyes. Maybe I won't dislike it as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You mentioned BK was better than Mario64 in Mumbo's Mountain, and I'd have to disagree. Mario's movement is more fluid and fast, and his game places greater emphasis on platforming challenges. BK is more like an amusement park, where entertainment is derived from its colorful characters and quirky attractions. I suppose its' a matter of preference, but I personally prefer game design over pure entertainment value. I do like the way the game teaches you to take transformations outside of the levels, and the enemies that appear in Grunty's Lair aren't threatening or anything, but it's a cute detail that adds to the world-building and makes the game feel more connected.

You also said you like the game's simple formula of "complete a challenge, get a Jiggy", but I'd be hard-pressed to call anything in the game particularly challenging. That tower atop Treasure Trove Cove is no Whomp's Fortress, for example, and many of the Jiggies are just sitting around waiting to be grabbed.

Even though this is your favorite game, I haven't heard you talk about why at all. You barely mention any of the design or things in general you find attractive about it. At least not yet.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I definitely would not call Banjo Kazooie's locations world, but they are more like worlds than Mario's, that's for sure. I'd prefer straight platforming challenges with minimal atmosphere (Mario 64) to tons of atmosphere and minimal challenge(BK), but it seems dishonest to say one concept is objectively better than the other. I still defend Mario 64's superior movement controls.

• Locked thread