Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

gently caress off, Mega Man X kicks your rear end so hard you can taste your own rectum

Yes it does. Mega Man X may very well be one of the finest video games in the 2D era, and easily one of the gold standards in platform shooting. But how much of the series' history do you really know? The first trilogy of games on the Super Nintendo held themselves to a high standard, even with Minakuchi Engineering of Rockman World and Wily Wars fame getting its grubby mitts on X3 and destroying its soundtrack. The followup trilogy on the PlayStation was a rollercoaster on its own, with the series trying desperately to end with X5 and lead into the Zero series only for Capcom to zombify it with an epilogue in the form of X6 that simultaneously hosed up Keiji Inafune's plans while trying to put a band-aid on the gaping wound with Zero's ending to the game.

But here we have what I often refer to as the Axl Trilogy. Three games that focus (perhaps a little too hard) on a "next-generation" Reploid named Axl, who has the ability to - rather than simply copy abilities like X and his predecessor Mega Man - copy the entire form of other Reploids, along with their powers. He also uses just, like, a regular gun. Not a Mega Buster. Just an energy pistol. The parallels to the bad boxart version of Mega Man are hard to resist.

Anyway, we'll be taking a look at these three out-of-order games that feature and focus on the weird dude, and spoiler: the end is not going to make you happy.

So what's the deal with this run?

This set of three is actually the 40th, 41st, and, 43rd games in an ongoing series called The Mega Let's Play which outside of this explanation will mostly not be relevant to the playthrough. The ending of the videos will usually refer to a playthrough of Mega Man Battle Network 4: Red Sun we're also doing, but that's not important. Long story short, we've been playing every Mega Man game in release order since the start of 2015, and we're closing out the series in the franchise that best exemplifies the collapse of the brand and the schism between Capcom and Keiji Inafune. No special rules, no explicit goals (other than like... you know, win), and no idea how long it'll take or what new poo poo we'll uncover.

Are you playing these games one after the other?

No, not all of them. Since we're in the middle of playing a shitload of Mega Man games in release order, Mega Man X7 and Command Mission will come one after the other, but X8 will come after another Zero game, which won't be included in this thread.

I'm probably gonna be spearheading most of this myself, but god knows I'm gonna do my best to get John to play X7 and X8 as much as I can. May god have mercy on my soul.

CHAPTER 1: Infiltrate Giga City

CHAPTER 2: Recapture Central Tower

CHAPTER 3: The Paper Hero

CHAPTER 4: Gaudile Laboratory

CHAPTER 5: Maverick Hunters Join Forces

CHAPTER 6: The Power of Friendship

CHAPTER 7: Block Transmissions!

CHAPTER 8: The Ultimate Weapon

CHAPTER 9: When Giants Duel

CHAPTER 10: In the Name of Justice

POSTGAME:

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

On the plus side, at least we got our PlayStation 2 working so we don't have to deal with flickering text or bizarre slowdown stretches. Down side is... we chose Flame Hyenard next...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akFFNNhqidg

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

hahaha you think Flam Hyenard's stage is the bad part ahahahahahaha

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The thing you were wondering about in the latest video is a Dr. Light capsule. Come back to it after you unlock X (this game goes back to the old system where there's only one armor and you can use the upgrades you get as soon as you get them. The other 3 capsules can be found in the stages of Soldier Stonekong, Snipe Anteater, and Wind Crowrang). There's also a subtank in the final room of Gungaroo's stage before the boss (try climbing some of the pillars surrounding the arena).

Also I'm not sure if you're going to bother with rescuing 64 reploids or just going with the other method of defeating all 8 bosses but X is the best character in the game and it's worth it to unlock him as soon as possible so you don't have to deal with Axl anymore (Axl is greatly improved in X8 though, I will admit). Once you get him you should abuse his fully charged shot as much as possible as it does more damage to bosses than most of the actual weakness weapons do.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 8, 2017

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Larryb posted:

The thing you were wondering about in the latest video is a Dr. Light capsule. Come back to it after you unlock X

OH, I loving KNEW IT. God drat. And yeah, I'm trying to prioritize trying new levels as often as possible and scouring for Reploids. I thought initially there were only 8 per stage (meaning 64 Reploids = PERFECT, as opposed to just getting half), so yeah we're getting X early.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Larryb posted:

The thing you were wondering about in the latest video is a Dr. Light capsule. Come back to it after you unlock X

this game sucks so much holy poo poo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

this game sucks so much holy poo poo

Yeah, making the title character unlockable in his own game is just one of this game's many problems (in fact, I personally consider this to be even worse than X6 in some aspects).

I guess they wanted to make sure people would play as the new character or something but I'm sure there was a better way to handle that. X8 has it's own problems but it's definitely more of a return to form overall than it's immediate predecessors were.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 8, 2017

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Larryb posted:

Yeah, making the title character unlockable in his own game is just one of this game's many problems (in fact, I personally consider this to be even worse than X6 in some aspects).

I guess they wanted to make sure people would play as the new character or something but I'm sure there was a better way to handle that. X8 has it's own problems but it's definitely more of a return to form overall than it's immediate predecessors were.

This game is far worse than X6.

X6 at least had a functional engine and all of your abilities were at least effective.

X7 has Axl, who needs to kill enemies with a bullet he has to charge up and does 1 damage in order to use his special ability.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
X8 is genuinely one of the best megaman games ever made, this is an opinion I will take to my grave

Real shame about the other two tho

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Heavy Sigh posted:

This game is far worse than X6.

X6 at least had a functional engine and all of your abilities were at least effective.

X7 has Axl, who needs to kill enemies with a bullet he has to charge up and does 1 damage in order to use his special ability.

To elaborate on the last part Axl has a Copy Shot you can use by holding down and releasing the triangle button. It only does one point of damage and you have to kill an enemy with it in order to use the transformation ability. As far as I know the only actual use for it is for rescuing certain reploids, otherwise you're welcome to continue ignoring it if you like.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

darealkooky posted:

X8 is genuinely one of the best megaman games ever made, this is an opinion I will take to my grave
Aaay someone else who thinks X8 is the best game ever :hfive:

Also X7 is just incredibly, impossibly lovely - to the point where my middle-school self, who thought all videogames were great and awesome and fun, was capable of recognizing that I was in for a very bad time around the time that X started speaking. I still cannot believe that I 100%ed it for the sake of entertainment instead of some hosed up challenge because I hated myself.

Edit: Also I'm halfway through the Vanishing Gungaroo video and I like how Alia didn't even mention that Ride Armors have special attacks, something you need to be able to defeat specific enemies in the stage.

Kith fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 9, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it some kind of iron rule that when you take a series from 2D to 3D the first 3D installment is going to be hot garbage?

Unless you're Nintendo (insert panel of Smash Bros cast yelling "We're the exception!")?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Glazius posted:

Is it some kind of iron rule that when you take a series from 2D to 3D the first 3D installment is going to be hot garbage?

Unless you're Nintendo (insert panel of Smash Bros cast yelling "We're the exception!")?

Megaman Legends was good, though. Or do you mean in the context of X rather than the series as a whole?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Glazius posted:

It is supposed to LOOK like hot garbage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Power Bottom posted:

Megaman Legends was good, though. Or do you mean in the context of X rather than the series as a whole?

Specifically X trying to keep continuity with the prior series, yeah. Legends could come up with its own pace and lockon mechanics and enemies and there wasn't anything to exactly compare it to. X7 has all prior X to live up to.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Nomination for "Best 2D to 3D transition": Metroid Prime.

(Assuming of course that Super Mario 64 is considered a "duh" entry itself.)

I prefer not to acknowledge that this episode even exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUv-s_rm28c

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hahahahahahahahaha! YES.

The real X7 starts here :kheldragar:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I only saw the first video so far, but it's always fun to watch LPs of terrible games. X7 may very well be the absolute nadir of the entire Mega Man universe.

ricdesi posted:

Nomination for "Best 2D to 3D transition": Metroid Prime.

(Assuming of course that Super Mario 64 is considered a "duh" entry itself.)
Even when you factor in Super Mario 64, the answer should still be Metroid Prime. SM64 hasn't aged poorly, but it's lost some luster. Metroid Prime is still fun to play, and I love how it built its story through exploration instead of via plot dumps and cutscenes. Honorable mention goes to Ocarina of Time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Burn to the ground" must be a context-free translation of something that doesn't sound like mad yodeling in the original Japanese.

Or maybe it still did. I imagine this didn't sell well in any market.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Remember that audio of the guy who was extremely mad that someone looted his Cloudsong in some MMO? Flame Hyenard's shouting has the same low-quality sound to it.

Six episodes in and you haven't beaten a single level. That's a mark of quality.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I was doing ""spring"" cleaning today and found out that, for some reason, I never sent my copy of X7 on a Microwave Sparkler Adventure like I typically did with incredibly lovely games. Even more strangely, I never deleted my save from my memory card. Turns out I had 100%'d it, and the last time I touched it was 2004. I decided for giggles I'd fire up the ol' PS2 and see if maybe the OP and his buddy were having trouble because they were bad at the game or something.

No.

You know how most games have a water level, complete with weird physics that maybe lower your running speed or make your jumps arc strangely? That's X7's default. The entire loving game plays like a water level.

What makes things worse are the camera angles. In the intro level, during the portion where Zero is being shoved into 3-D for the first time, I died as soon as the transition completed.

You see how Zero is angled towards the right in that image? That's because when the transition is made, the game continues interpreting your previous input - even if it was intended for the 2D plane only. I was too eager to get through the intro level, and I made the mistake of dash-jumping through that transition. I proceeded to fall off of the side of the level and die. There are several areas like this throughout the game.

But I figured, okay. Sure. Benefit of the doubt, goodwill, ect. I'll keep trying. Let's at least get to the intro boss, and see how that works out.

I discovered a secret to the intro boss. If you're playing Zero, you can render yourself almost completely invulnerable by standing in the middle of the arena and spamming basic attacks. I don't know if it's because of i-frames or because the hitboxes are completely hosed, but I only took damage once. All I did was stand in the middle and mash Square.

You guys have a long, long road ahead of you.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

GOOD NEWS: We actually started beating bosses, loving finally. These are the most insufferable game mechanics, levels, and bosses I've encountered in 40+ Mega Man games. No hyperbole. This is utter bullshit of the highest caliber.

BAD NEWS: I apparently did not actually hit Submit last week when I tried to update the thread mid-week. So instead of having a gigantic bloated pile of embedded videos, I'll refer you guys to the list at the top of the thread for Parts 6-9 and link to the yesterday's and today's since those were recorded together and feature Wind Crowrang's horrific pile of poo poo they call a level. God save me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDPoASoFndQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Z4K-sJ7VM

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well hey you almost got X!

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah! I realized right after we turned off the mics that we're at 57 out of 64. Recording some more tomorrow night (thus, we'll probably have both Parts 12 and 13 on Friday), and we should FINALLY have the title character stumbling around without upgrades.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well then all you need to do is re-visit the cyber world, the aerial fleet, Flame Hyenard and one other stage!

tHe EnD iS nEvEr ThE eNd

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Sigh, Soldier Stonekong. I'm deeply upset that I've already been to all four stages with capsules (and beaten three of them). Repeat levels in this game make me want to die :)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ricdesi posted:

Sigh, Soldier Stonekong. I'm deeply upset that I've already been to all four stages with capsules (and beaten three of them). Repeat levels in this game make me want to die :)

Hahahha that's some bad luck man

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
X7 was my first exposure to the X series, at a friend's house. I'm surprised I wound up playing the earlier games, too.

darealkooky posted:

Power Bottom posted:

Aaay someone else who thinks X8 is the best game ever :hfive:

Really late but :hfive: to both of you. X8 is pretty great and I actually like Axl in that one!

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

Senerio posted:

X7 was my first exposure to the X series, at a friend's house. I'm surprised I wound up playing the earlier games, too.

Really late but :hfive: to both of you. X8 is pretty great and I actually like Axl in that one!

That's because X8 is an actual game that they tested and played, whereas X7 is slop put on a table after being fried in 3D and force out cause they expected people to be okay with poo poo cause it's Megaman X. Capcom Sucks with their properties and this game is the perfect example.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ricdesi posted:

BAD NEWS: I apparently did not actually hit Submit last week when I tried to update the thread mid-week.
I assumed you didn't post them because X7 is poo poo and you wanted to save people from your suffering. I kept saying "forget the Heart Tank!" on Wind Crowrang's level.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Senerio posted:

I think part of what makes X8 so great is that they took the half-baked bullshit that X7 introduced (Axl's guns, Zero's alt-weapons) and made them into full-fledged gameplay features to further differentiate the characters from each other.

Honestly, it's pretty nice when the only common complaint about X8 that you hear is that it has two Ride Chaser levels.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

X8 is a bad game and the only reason it gets praise it's because it came after the unplayable messes that were X6 and X7.

In short, it's a platforming game with not that much platforming. You could easily tweak the game a bit and get a "Mega Man X Party".

Besides two rider chaser levels, we have a level literally comprised by ranked minigames, a level taking place in rotating rooms with humongous square blocks that remind me of platform game maker's tutorials, a level you spent being chased/chasing a giant robot and a level with two long sequences of an elevating platforms minigame.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Now I've just got the image of a Mega Man X ripoff game where the Internet of Things has consumed reality and maverick furniture gains sentience and tries to sit on man.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

Now I've just got the image of a Mega Man X ripoff game where the Internet of Things has consumed reality and maverick furniture gains sentience and tries to sit on man.

Oh yeah, I played Battle Network too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You do realize X can charge his buster right (it's literally why he's considered the strongest character in this game)? You're just making things harder on yourself by plinking away at enemies with normal buster shots (there's even an auto-charge feature you can turn on in the options menu if you don't want to be constantly holding down the fire button).

Also, every X game since the first one gives you the ability to exit stages you've already completed via the start menu so you don't have to replay an entire stage again just to pick up an armor part.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 22, 2017

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Gotta be honest, I have very fond memories of Mega Man X8 (and I'm digging the - mostly - love for it in the thread), and the longer I play X7, the more I yearn to break out of this and into that. It's gonna be a while though...

Larryb posted:

You do realize X can charge his buster right (it's literally why he's considered the strongest character in this game)? You're just making things harder on yourself by plinking away at enemies with normal buster shots (there's even an auto-charge feature you can turn on in the options menu if you don't want to be constantly holding down the fire button).

Yeah, that Charge Shot is pretty ridiculous in strength. Definitely wishing I did the math earlier on and realized there were a maximum of 16 upgrades in the game, else I would have been more cautious about their use and not bothered with one of Zero or Axl at all. Either way though, the Charge Shot has been proving useful!

New video coming in just two hours, but in the meantime (for anyone who hasn't gotten frustrated by my irregular updates here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uCtdo1_oFY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ZJa5fPvu4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OkoynhAH84 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utooBEFR0Os

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ricdesi posted:

Gotta be honest, I have very fond memories of Mega Man X8 (and I'm digging the - mostly - love for it in the thread), and the longer I play X7, the more I yearn to break out of this and into that. It's gonna be a while though...

Yeah, that Charge Shot is pretty ridiculous in strength. Definitely wishing I did the math earlier on and realized there were a maximum of 16 upgrades in the game, else I would have been more cautious about their use and not bothered with one of Zero or Axl at all. Either way though, the Charge Shot has been proving useful!

New video coming in just two hours, but in the meantime (for anyone who hasn't gotten frustrated by my irregular updates here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uCtdo1_oFY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ZJa5fPvu4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OkoynhAH84 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utooBEFR0Os

To be fair, unless you look up a guide to see which Reploids give powerups there's not really a good way to tell, not to mention the fact you're forced to equip them if you do get some so there's no way to save them for later.

There is a New Game + mode which starts you with all your upgrades from the last game (including X's armor if you picked up all 4 pieces), X is unlocked immediatly upon completing the intro stage and all the reploids you rescued are returned to their stages (which is the only way to get all 3 characters fully powered up), however since it doesn't change anything about the game (there's no new story sequences or bosses) you don't need to bother with it.

However, if you can at least pick up X's first three upgrades in the top slot (the two attack boosts and a damage buffer that stacks with the one you already get from the armor), the game will become much easier and you'll never have to bother with Axl again (X's fully charged shot does more damage to bosses than pretty much any of the weakness weapons in the game). Shouldn't be too hard now either as since you lost your progress from Gungaroo's stage you are guaranteed at least 4 more powerups before you move on to the final stages.

Speaking of Gungaroo, when you reach the final area before the boss try climbing up the pillars surrounding the arena, there's a Sub-Tank up on one of them (I know way too much about this stupid game).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 24, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Petiso posted:

X8 is a bad game and the only reason it gets praise it's because it came after the unplayable messes that were X6 and X7.

In short, it's a platforming game with not that much platforming. You could easily tweak the game a bit and get a "Mega Man X Party".

Besides two rider chaser levels, we have a level literally comprised by ranked minigames, a level taking place in rotating rooms with humongous square blocks that remind me of platform game maker's tutorials, a level you spent being chased/chasing a giant robot and a level with two long sequences of an elevating platforms minigame.

responding to a post form almost a week ago, but :shrug:

megaman stopped being a platformer around the time it gave you airdashes and double jumps, and X8 gives you this stuff from the first level onward. it's more like a weird mix of megaman, metroid and devil may cry of all things then a "real" megaman, where you're supposed to get better scores, figure out how to find secret poo poo and use your crazy good mobility/animation cancels to work around all the setpieces/gimmicks you mentioned. it's also got the potential to be pretty loving challenging if you play on hard mode and intentionally don't buy upgrades, so thats cool if you're into that.

I will agree that the level that's just you flying around in a jetsons car is horseshit though, the other similar level works a lot better with the games mechanics

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well hey the worst is behind you now! Mostly!

The good news is that X seems to get a damage reduction when he's in his complete Glide Armor. That offsets the HP issue somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I found a video of Flame Hyenard in Japanese and yeah constant yelling of "MOERO!" is less grating than "BURNTOTHEGROUND!" His battle intro dialogue/acting is also significantly better and I think they just picked an actor doing a less annoying voice (not featured in this video; most videos of "Flame Hyenard Japanese" just have fixed intros but don't swap the battle voices).

• Locked thread