Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Golux posted:

I found a video of Flame Hyenard in Japanese and yeah constant yelling of "MOERO!" is less grating than "BURNTOTHEGROUND!" His battle intro dialogue/acting is also significantly better and I think they just picked an actor doing a less annoying voice (not featured in this video; most videos of "Flame Hyenard Japanese" just have fixed intros but don't swap the battle voices).

That would be because while there's an in-game option to change the voices to Japanese it for some reason only changes the cutscenes, the in-battle voice clips are still in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
God I am atrocious -- here is the first half of the videos I didn't post here, because my life is a never-ending carousel of editing and working. Remainder tomorrow sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-plmXCXtpk0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr39ICy-RVQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUdo7SI3eYM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgJAY5v2Mng https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duWl30EDxRs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dOieSN0k10

darealkooky posted:

responding to a post form almost a week ago, but :shrug:

megaman stopped being a platformer around the time it gave you airdashes and double jumps, and X8 gives you this stuff from the first level onward. it's more like a weird mix of megaman, metroid and devil may cry of all things then a "real" megaman, where you're supposed to get better scores, figure out how to find secret poo poo and use your crazy good mobility/animation cancels to work around all the setpieces/gimmicks you mentioned. it's also got the potential to be pretty loving challenging if you play on hard mode and intentionally don't buy upgrades, so thats cool if you're into that.

I will agree that the level that's just you flying around in a jetsons car is horseshit though, the other similar level works a lot better with the games mechanics

I didn't mind the air dashes much, but the double jumps always felt a little out of place, even if they did make sense in the world of Mega Man X. I think it has to do with the first X game being about speed over much else, which the air dash meshes well with, but the double jump does not.

Larryb posted:

That would be because while there's an in-game option to change the voices to Japanese it for some reason only changes the cutscenes, the in-battle voice clips are still in English.

...that's such a bizarre limitation to have in a PS2 game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This LP needed more Cat Cam. It was a breath of fresh air to see Lindsay play fetch with the cats in the midst of the horrible things X7 threw at you.

Instant death in boss arenas isn't new to X7, but at least you could easily avoid falling off the stage with Storm Eagle, into the lava with Magma Dragoon, or climbing into the spiked ceiling with Sting Chameleon. Here, you're just a lovely camera angle or improper wall jump away from falling to your death against Red or Flame Hyenard.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 9, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HEY YOU GUYS REMEMBER MECHA DRAGON'S PLATFORMING BULLSHIT??? HOW ABOUT THAT BUT WITH BAD CONTROLS???

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
SPEAKING OF CONTROVERSIAL OPINIONS: I think that X6 is worse than X7. Also, Command Mission is criminally underrated and needs more love.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

get that OUT of my face posted:

This LP needed more Cat Cam. It was a breath of fresh air to see Lindsay play fetch with the cats in the midst of the horrible things X7 threw at you.

More LPs could stand to have an emergency backup cat camera in case of extreme game boredom.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am decently fond of Command Mission. Which takes place after x8 but was released before it for some reason.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Command Mission is great, it just feels like some ideas needed to bake a bit. Like the whole Hyper Mode thing. Or how your healing feels pretty limited, especially in the beginning (it will change to "hilariously unlimited" with putting one character into your party composition)

Also don't feed Build items to the Trickster. I know he's a cool dude, don't do it though. He's not worth it :(

Also you will get a character who is level 1. She seems like fanservice bait. Use her. She is the Goddess and those who have Faith in Her shall never die and know eternal victory.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I know this is slightly off topic for this LP, but do you have a source for the remixed main Zelda theme you used in the intro to this video? I kinda wanna listen to it without you guys talking over it but I can't find it.

Also; this game is bad. But LP is good.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

We know who the real stars of the show are. But we feed them, so they have to play ball once in a while. Sometimes literally.

Instant death in boss arenas isn't new to X7, but at least you could easily avoid falling off the stage with Storm Eagle, into the lava with Magma Dragoon, or climbing into the spiked ceiling with Sting Chameleon. Here, you're just a lovely camera angle or improper wall jump away from falling to your death against Red or Flame Hyenard.

Or Sigma :|

Junpei posted:

SPEAKING OF CONTROVERSIAL OPINIONS: I think that X6 is worse than X7. Also, Command Mission is criminally underrated and needs more love.

I can 100% see it going either way. Both games have irredeemable faults, it's a matter of deciding which is worse between X6's relentless abuse or X7's complete lack of smooth gameplay. Both come down to a clear lack of QA testing. And hell yeah, Command Mission is wonderful, I stand by it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am decently fond of Command Mission. Which takes place after x8 but was released before it for some reason.

It really shoehorns them in in weird ways. I mean, now Axl absolutely has to survive the events of anything that takes place in 21XX, since he's alive in 22XX.

RickVoid posted:

So I know this is slightly off topic for this LP, but do you have a source for the remixed main Zelda theme you used in the intro to this video? I kinda wanna listen to it without you guys talking over it but I can't find it.

Absolutely! That is The Adventure of Duane & BrandO's "ZELDA" (which got renamed to "GANNNNNON RAP" on YouTube for whatever reason). The slightly 8-bittier version in our intros is a mix I made myself with that song and the original NES track.

And now, for those keeping up in the thread and not on YouTube, here is the end of Mega Man X7, with the Command Mission episodes coming up tomorrow. Almost out of the Spring from Hell.

Part 22: "You Gotta Have Strong Bears"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL3zkRGIR5g

Part 23: "A Triple Obtuse Sword gently caress"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjeuT56m98I

Part 24: "Large Penis, Stop It!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RCZTc6d9IQ

Part 25: "I hosed You"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdLE-Ujfkfw

Part 26: "So, It Was You After All"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Txy8g3jPc

Part 27: "I Always Have a Good Idea Where My Dick Is"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxGLE8afoMc

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ricdesi posted:

Absolutely! That is The Adventure of Duane & BrandO's "ZELDA" (which got renamed to "GANNNNNON RAP" on YouTube for whatever reason). The slightly 8-bittier version in our intros is a mix I made myself with that song and the original NES track.

How could I forget about Duane and Brando? Haven't listened to those guys in years.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

RickVoid posted:

How could I forget about Duane and Brando? Haven't listened to those guys in years.

They retired for a while, I think (they might have had a less-than-amicable falling out, though that might have just been for show, too? hard to tell), but they're making music and videos again, and they still kick serious rear end.

And now let's get Mega Man X: Command Mission started! For those unfamiliar, yes, it is a turn-based RPG set in the Mega Man universe (asterisk), the only one of its kind. You play as X, teaming up with Zero, Axl, and a number of new faces to take down the threat of Epsilon and his dozen compatriots in the Rebellion Army. Made during the Gaming Dark Age of the early 2000s, this is a rare sighting of a good game among the poo poo. We're likely to be at this one for a while, so buckle up!

Below is Chapter 1, the tutorial to the general setup of the game, and if you can believe it, John actually played through the whole chapter :O

Part 1: "It Is an RPG"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG-WGv-ZdV4

Part 2: "Cape Day"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz1mPxt16Sw

Part 3: "The Hedgehog?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYdJl_IvmY

Chapter 2 will be completed with Part 7 this afternoon, I'll post those four episodes together and then we'll be caught up!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

X woke up in this town?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

At one point in my life, I was going to do an LP of X7. I realized about halfway through gathering materials and facts and such that it would be a terrible idea, but I never deleted all of the stuff as a reminder to never do it. Given that the X7 portion of the LP is now over, I offer these wonderful gameplay facts to you, the thread:

> Axl's active Transformation will not refresh its duration if you pick up a second Enemy Core of the same type.
> Ride Armors have a Special Attack. It is the only way to defeat certain enemies.
> Your "Hunter Ranking" does nothing.
> If you want to mess with anything in Game Settings, doing so via the Main Menu and then loading a game will undo the changes. If you want your changes to stick, you have to load the game first, and then pop open the Options menu in Stage Select.
> Under Game Settings, it is possible to turn on Auto-Charge, which automatically charges X's buster and Axl's A-Trans Shot. The only downside is that these are ALWAYS CHARGING, so you have to deal with the constant whine of the charging sound effect.
> Also under Game Settings, it is possible to turn off Auto-Repeat (aka rapid fire). This will make Axl more or less useless, but it will allow you to use X's charge attack if you're not using Auto-Charge.
> Auto-Charge and Auto-Repeat can be used in tandem.
> Heart Capsules you pick up will not be shared between the characters. If you end up using a certain character too much, the others will (drastically) fall behind.
> Upgrade Chips cannot be saved, and must be applied after the end of a stage.
> The most important Upgrade Chip effects are Shock Absorber (Power Level 3) and Triple Barrier (Special Level 3), because they reduce the amount of damage you take and increase the duration of your mercy invulnerability, respectively.
> "Power Plus A/B" effect descriptions straight-up lies to you for Axl and X. You may have noticed that sometimes Axl shoots blue bullets after getting a chip upgrade - what the upgrade ACTUALLY does is add those blue bullets to the attack cycle, which deal double damage. P+A is one in three, and P+B is one in two. Except when it bugs out because you're attacking too quickly, which is often!
> "Power Plus A/B" does not lie to you for Zero - his attacks get a flat increase to damage. However, his Special 4 upgrade, "Master Sabre", gets overwritten by Power Plus A/B, making it useless. You COULD get a larger damage upgrade out of Master Sabre (it's supposed to be a 2x damage boost) if you ignored Power Plus A/B, but that would involve giving up the 50% damage reduction from Shock Absorber, which... you shouldn't do.
> X's Chest Armor part has damage reduction that does nothing if you already have Shock Absorber on X.

UNIMPORTANT TRIVIA POWER HOUR
Axl was originally intended to use two pistols at once, something that can be seen in several pieces of art for X7. It was changed because it was decided it was "too useful" that Axl could fire at two enemies by default. The animations and general functionality were re-used for the subweapon that Axl uses when equipped with Circle Blaze.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Wow, that sounds like a mess. You'd think SOMEONE would have checked that half the stuff cancels itself out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm afraid that Neato Mosquito is far too childish and whimsical a name for the sophisticated and serious atmosphere we are curating here in this world of Mega Man "BURNTOTHEGROUNDBURNTOTHEGROUNDBURNTOTHEGROUND" X.

I think weapon energy increases the odds Spider's going to get a powerful hand? The first time you let him charge to 100% you had lethal an outside straight flush draw and your first new card was the nine of spades.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 20, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So around here we have games which are considered "cursed" because everyone who has tried to LP them failed or had to quit. This is due to usually really tedious mechanics and a lot of text transcription. Until recently, the Breath of Fire series was considered cursed but a few brave souls got their LPs of them into the Archive. Dragon's Quarter is...interesting. It's pretty obscure, but it's considered a cult classic for those who know it. It's sort of a tactical JRPG a la Arc The Lad if you ever played those. Its big thing is the limited saving, lots of puzzle enemies, the ability to restart your game from the beginning while carrying over progress and the D-Counter.
The D-Counter is a constantly-rising meter and you game over should it ever hit 100%. It rises very slowly while you do the dungeons and whatnot, but obviously goes faster when you use D-Dive to transform into your dragon form and then use your Dragon abilities (for reference walking around increases it by like .2% every half hour, D-Diving increases it by 1.0% and using the Dragon Form attacks increases by 2%). Your dragon form makes you almost completely invulnerable and you'll lay waste to almost everything in your path, but you need to use it conservatively. It's a game that people who get it really love it and those that don't hate it. The constant looming threat of the counter is not for everyone.

Anyhow!
Along with

SSNeoman posted:

Also don't feed Build items to the Trickster. I know he's a cool dude, don't do it though. He's not worth it :(

Also you will get a character who is level 1. She seems like fanservice bait. Use her. She is the Goddess and those who have Faith in Her shall never die and know eternal victory.

There's also
-Stock up on Mega and Ultra element items. They are great to throw out on bosses if a character has nothing else to do that turn.
-The first few bosses are Electric, Water and Fire element. So come equipped with Fire, Thunder, Water stuff respectively if you can.
-You get more sub tanks from bosses. Sub tank parts can be collected from exploring, you need 4 of them to make a subtank. Each tank can hold 100% subtank energy.
-You might want to pick-up the Analyze FM. This thing lets you use the analyze command in battle so long as one of your active party members has it on. It costs 0 erosion so just slap it on whoever has a slot they're not using.
-Steal from bosses. You will get a friend who can help with this thanks to her action trigger. It is absolutely imperative that you steal the FM from the final boss' pre-cutscene form. The FM you can steal post-cutscene is different than the one you can steal pre-cutscene. They are both helpful, but the pre-cutscene one is significantly moreso. Like you basically have to have it for post-game bosses. I can elaborate on this if you like.
-Generally more WE = Better Action Triggers. For X the ratio is one-to-one, more WE=More Charge=More Power. The only wrinkle that the game never tells you is that a 100% Charge will always result in a critical hit. Hence why you should always try to save X Fire for bosses or other tough enemies (Pronounced "Crossfire" btw) unless you know you can get an easy level up.
For Spider, more WE results in a more stacked deck. So with 100% WE you have a higher chance of pulling out better hands. It's still not a sure thing though which is why Spider's Action Trigger kinda sucks.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 20, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wasn't Zero originally supposed to be a "woman" robot?

Power Bottom posted:

It was changed because it was decided it was "too useful" that Axl could fire at two enemies by default.
God forbid you have anything that works in the player's favor in X7.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Wasn't Zero originally supposed to be a "woman" robot?
Zero was originally intended to be the protagonist of the X series in its entirety, and he more or less started out as X with weird headgear. If you're referring to his booblights, those show up on a lot of robots.

quote:

God forbid you have anything that works in the player's favor in X7.
To expound on why it was removed, developers were afraid that the players wouldn't care about unlocking X because Axl was basically X already because they didn't have enough time or budget to actually flesh out Axl's weapon system.

Kith fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 20, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Power Bottom posted:

To expound on why it was removed, developers were afraid that the players wouldn't care about unlocking X
To be fair, they were dead-on about that.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Power Bottom posted:

> Axl's active Transformation will not refresh its duration if you pick up a second Enemy Core of the same type.
> Ride Armors have a Special Attack. It is the only way to defeat certain enemies.
> Your "Hunter Ranking" does nothing.
> If you want to mess with anything in Game Settings, doing so via the Main Menu and then loading a game will undo the changes. If you want your changes to stick, you have to load the game first, and then pop open the Options menu in Stage Select.
> Under Game Settings, it is possible to turn on Auto-Charge, which automatically charges X's buster and Axl's A-Trans Shot. The only downside is that these are ALWAYS CHARGING, so you have to deal with the constant whine of the charging sound effect.
> Also under Game Settings, it is possible to turn off Auto-Repeat (aka rapid fire). This will make Axl more or less useless, but it will allow you to use X's charge attack if you're not using Auto-Charge.
> Auto-Charge and Auto-Repeat can be used in tandem.
> Heart Capsules you pick up will not be shared between the characters. If you end up using a certain character too much, the others will (drastically) fall behind.
> Upgrade Chips cannot be saved, and must be applied after the end of a stage.
> The most important Upgrade Chip effects are Shock Absorber (Power Level 3) and Triple Barrier (Special Level 3), because they reduce the amount of damage you take and increase the duration of your mercy invulnerability, respectively.
> "Power Plus A/B" effect descriptions straight-up lies to you for Axl and X. You may have noticed that sometimes Axl shoots blue bullets after getting a chip upgrade - what the upgrade ACTUALLY does is add those blue bullets to the attack cycle, which deal double damage. P+A is one in three, and P+B is one in two. Except when it bugs out because you're attacking too quickly, which is often!
> "Power Plus A/B" does not lie to you for Zero - his attacks get a flat increase to damage. However, his Special 4 upgrade, "Master Sabre", gets overwritten by Power Plus A/B, making it useless. You COULD get a larger damage upgrade out of Master Sabre (it's supposed to be a 2x damage boost) if you ignored Power Plus A/B, but that would involve giving up the 50% damage reduction from Shock Absorber, which... you shouldn't do.
> X's Chest Armor part has damage reduction that does nothing if you already have Shock Absorber on X.

UNIMPORTANT TRIVIA POWER HOUR
Axl was originally intended to use two pistols at once, something that can be seen in several pieces of art for X7. It was changed because it was decided it was "too useful" that Axl could fire at two enemies by default. The animations and general functionality were re-used for the subweapon that Axl uses when equipped with Circle Blaze.

THIS GAME CLEARLY HAD NO QA. I cannot fathom how this much poo poo could get through unless the game was just straight up not tested at all. Holy gently caress.

SSNeoman posted:

The D-Counter is a constantly-rising meter and you game over should it ever hit 100%. It rises very slowly while you do the dungeons and whatnot, but obviously goes faster when you use D-Dive to transform into your dragon form and then use your Dragon abilities (for reference walking around increases it by like .2% every half hour, D-Diving increases it by 1.0% and using the Dragon Form attacks increases by 2%). Your dragon form makes you almost completely invulnerable and you'll lay waste to almost everything in your path, but you need to use it conservatively. It's a game that people who get it really love it and those that don't hate it. The constant looming threat of the counter is not for everyone.

That might be one of the most bizarre game mechanics I've ever heard of. Reminds me of the Dark Chips from BN4, ironically, since every use reduces your max HP by 1 (doing nothing once you reach 1 HP). Good lord, that sounds difficult...

Anyway, for those waiting on Chapter 2 with good old Wild Jango...

Part 4: "Das ist mein Schnitzel"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Re57nfthBk

Part 5: "The Dogeheckahedron"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOQf-w5FGDc

Part 6: "This Train Has Brakes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NnCKzMvceY

Part 7: "Oh, Shoot!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pyWuTeQsh4

...and here's the next one, fresh and hot out the kitchen. It's the first in a 10-episode recording chunk, so John and I are gonna get into some meaty poo poo.

Part 8: "Gong the Dong"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY4iK1-bOzw

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

So around here we have games which are considered "cursed" because everyone who has tried to LP them failed or had to quit.
cough cough, Sword of Mana

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ricdesi posted:

THIS GAME CLEARLY HAD NO QA. I cannot fathom how this much poo poo could get through unless the game was just straight up not tested at all. Holy gently caress.

That list is the appended version, too. I cut out a lot of details for the sake of brevity - things like certain stages having floors or walls that weren't actually real (for example, being able to jump off of the arena and die during the Soldier Stonekong fight) and several bossfights having safe spots that the boss in question was unable to attack you in (for example, Red's fight featured the busted walls, and surprisingly even loving Vanishing Gungaroo had one despite fighting you in an arena with no obstructions).

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Power Bottom posted:

That list is the appended version, too. I cut out a lot of details for the sake of brevity - things like certain stages having floors or walls that weren't actually real (for example, being able to jump off of the arena and die during the Soldier Stonekong fight) and several bossfights having safe spots that the boss in question was unable to attack you in (for example, Red's fight featured the busted walls, and surprisingly even loving Vanishing Gungaroo had one despite fighting you in an arena with no obstructions).

That's what you get when you tell the Resident Evil team to make a platformer and half of the team are complete newbies to game development.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ricdesi posted:

That might be one of the most bizarre game mechanics I've ever heard of. Reminds me of the Dark Chips from BN4, ironically, since every use reduces your max HP by 1 (doing nothing once you reach 1 HP). Good lord, that sounds difficult...

You weren't intended to finish Dragon Quarter in a single run. You could, but much like Dead Rising, you were expected to use the Scenario Overlay (the aptly named SoL) when you couldn't make any more progress and carry the benefits into a sort of New Game+. In fact, certain areas, and certain plot bits, couldn't be accessed on the first go.

Unfortunately, much like the first Dead Rising, many of the players missed the memo, and this, along with the jarring tonal shift from the rest of the series, meant Dragon Quarter basically killed the Breath of Fire franchise.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

You weren't intended to finish Dragon Quarter in a single run. You could, but much like Dead Rising, you were expected to use the Scenario Overlay (the aptly named SoL) when you couldn't make any more progress and carry the benefits into a sort of New Game+. In fact, certain areas, and certain plot bits, couldn't be accessed on the first go.

Unfortunately, much like the first Dead Rising, many of the players missed the memo, and this, along with the jarring tonal shift from the rest of the series, meant Dragon Quarter basically killed the Breath of Fire franchise.

iiiiiiiinteresting. I get the idea now, though I gotta be honest, I would undoubtedly be tempted by trying to make a run that took the fewest number of restarts (whatever that number may be).

So, as I've mentioned in the other threads, I'm actually on vacation for this week and most of next, so while I won't be able to make easy updates until potentially Friday (and then again next Wednesday), videos will still be going up. I'll update this thread as often as I reasonably can (the WiFi out here is less than great -- my editing laptop back home is doing all the exporting and uploading remotely).

Part 9: "Busting 'Roids with Assimo"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsZnl0efgjA

Part 10: "Death House"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPmQVpLvHeA

Part 11: "Dober Man"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-WD66RlK_U

New episode coming today and all week, sorry about all the chaos -- good news is after I get back, no more months-long stretches of disappearing for whole weekends or panicking to get poo poo done before a certain date.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Massimo is great because of his action trigger. Just power charge once, defend, then power charge again and use the action trigger on the next turn. You unlock addituonal bars when you do 3000 damage with massimo and another when you do 10000. You can get the former like right now if you get him to level 10, warp back to lagrano, and then use a few boost powers, Glint Armor and power charges on Massimo before using the action trigger. His thirs and fourth bars are extremely useful and you can use them to oneshot the post game boss.
Massimo also takes 50% more damage from elemental attacks (his hyper mode reduces it to regular damage) so make sure to use element approptiate protection for him.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
(spoilers for ep12 Massimo)

The impression I got was more that Steel Massimo entrusted his armor to some grunt rather than give his captors that iconic symbol to parade around and demoralize people.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Greetings from Connecticut! I am still alive, and I had a couple minutes with a decent enough internet connection, so I thought I'd stop in to give you guys the updates thus far. Let's take this beetle/rhino/tricera-whatever the gently caress down!

Part 12: "Inspired by Shark"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q35GD7Ppurs

Part 13: "Dramatic Detachment"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4PI4mwMWiU

SSNeoman posted:

Massimo is great because of his action trigger. Just power charge once, defend, then power charge again and use the action trigger on the next turn. You unlock addituonal bars when you do 3000 damage with massimo and another when you do 10000. You can get the former like right now if you get him to level 10, warp back to lagrano, and then use a few boost powers, Glint Armor and power charges on Massimo before using the action trigger. His thirs and fourth bars are extremely useful and you can use them to oneshot the post game boss.
Massimo also takes 50% more damage from elemental attacks (his hyper mode reduces it to regular damage) so make sure to use element approptiate protection for him.

Oooooooh, that is devious. Almost positive we have him past Level 10 when we stopped recording, so when we're done with that chapter we'll head back and see if we can't make that happen.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Hello again from south of the border! Getting the rest of last week caught up -- there'll be one more bulk post when I get home Wednesday night, but for now, let's get our hands dirty in Gaudile Laboratory:

Part 14: "Hard, Working People"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvsnxToJag4

Part 15: "Hot Chicks and the Platypus"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OvE1EjXMXA

Part 16: "This Is So Not What the '90s Was"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maALucQxLOs

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Steal more from enemies and bosses. They have good poo poo and you need a lot of vendor trash for the upcoming synthesis mechanic. Pick up the Analyze FM too, cause that will tell you what each enemy has on them.
The boss you're thinking of is in the POW camp, not here. There's also one more non-postgame optional boss in an upcoming area.
Be careful with Build Hypers since you only get 12 in the whole game and like 4 of those are postgame. Don't give any to Spider and I wouldn't give em to X either since he has a fuckton of HMode turns as is.

Also look around the older areas for more mechaniloids and deploy them, especially to Lagranno Ruins. The Lagranno key unlocks the shop which has either the best or arguably the best weapons in the game for most character.

In particular:
-Interceptor for Massimo since it makes him faster and can randomly make the attacked enemy lose their turn. The only weapon better than this one is the Beast Lance and it's stolen from the third-last boss. That weapon does 10% of its damage back to Massimo and makes him slower. Use the latter for boss nuking, the former for everything else.
-Turbo Buster for X. While the X Buster MKIII exists and statwise it's better, the Speed Buster has better speed stats and its effect (more dmg with more WE) makes it arguably more appealing. The XBMKIII drops from a random encounter in the final dungeon while the Turbo Buster "only" costs 100k zenny so...
-:siren::siren:THE MOTHERFUCKING KITTY GLOVES:siren::siren:. Forget all other weapons for that character, the Kitty Gloves come out on top. They do 5 goddamn hits and each one has a chance to lower enemy stats. They were actually nerfed for the English version of the game and they're still loving insane. That damage listed on them is very non-indicative of how busted they are.
-Auto Bullets because the ultimate weapon for that character drops from the absolute last post-game boss. Which sorta defeats the purpose.

The other two have their fans, but the ones I listed are the no-brainer ones. This will set you back 257,000 zenny though, so uh you might wanna save up. Or I can add some zenny farming strategies if you like.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 3, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also once Cinnamon joins you she should never leave your active party as she hits hard and her action trigger is a free heal for your entire team (you will need to build her up a bit first and she is a bit of a glass cannon but it's worth it in the end).

Also abuse Marino's hyper mode as it makes her even faster and gives her a ton of turns.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 5, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised you actually pulled all that off after so much of the party bit it.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

So am I, holy poo poo. That couldn't have gotten much closer, I think a single fuckup would have lost us the battle there.

Anyhow, WE'RE BACK, I'm actually like... not super jetlagged anymore or desperately dying of sleep schedule weirdness, so I can get us caught up and back on track. Last week, we started out by taking on Dr. Psyche, who mystifyingly renames himself to "Mad Nautilus" during the battle... I don't actually know why that is.

Part 17: "Entirely Made of Hip"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5whTgjC6UJo

Part 18: "A Crazy Nuclear Gang Beating"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OchcMwPbjHI

And then we moved onto the Ulfat Factory, in search of other Maverick Hunters to join the cause. The first guy we run into was... unexpected.

Part 19: "Zero, A6, Bingo!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf_ouvanMME

Part 20: "That Cutthroat Kind of poo poo"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc0k84vLIXo

Part 21: "Thanks for Beating the poo poo out of Me"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDqJ2SyrGy8

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
Not sure if you realized this (since I haven't watched all the episodes yet) but, Hawkeye can be used with the steal to raise the odds of success.

You get more FME from final strikes, which you can switch during if you have more than one enemy during it. And if you really want to break this game wide open your going to have to grind a bit both to buy and make force metals and weapons cause as always the better ones are way more expensive.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You should also probably have someone more knowledgeable about the game than I point you in the direction of the ultimate armors and bonus bosses. Cause X's armor in this game is loving silly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that's a huge damage variance that just bounced Marino turn 1 one run and kind of plinked off her the next.

Can you buy Phoenix Downs or the local robot equivalent?

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

Wow, that's a huge damage variance that just bounced Marino turn 1 one run and kind of plinked off her the next.

You can, and as a general rule they should be checking the shops after every boss. But they're kind of rushing through the game and heading to the next area without checking the main base. I don't blame them, because this is an RPG and kind of long, but it's gonna come back to bite them when they get to the end game bosses and they don't have enough weapons or items to deal with boss shenanigans.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They also should be throwing robits into dispatch missions for goodies. You can get a lot of good stuff that way, even some tank parts IIRC.

Glazius posted:

You're supposed to play defensively with Mad Nautilus until he uses Mad Ecstasy, then you go to town on him. So long as his bulkhead is closed, you do gently caress-all to him. Admittedly the game never emphasizes how good stat-boosting items are in battle, but they're really drat good and the same one can stack twice, which lets you easily take out a third of his health with Action Triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Glazius posted:

Yes :\ We've been lazy/rushing, but I think with that fuckup on our part we're gonna have to start being a bit more pragmatic about it (along with healing in general, especially if Tank Parts are strewn throughout the levels).

SSNeoman posted:

They also should be throwing robits into dispatch missions for goodies. You can get a lot of good stuff that way, even some tank parts IIRC.

Yeah, I think the next time we're at the base (we've already recorded Chapter 6) I'm going to have us send a few of these dudes we've been picking up off the ground out on scouting missions, hopefully we can get some good poo poo in return.

SSNeoman posted:

You're supposed to play defensively with Mad Nautilus until he uses Mad Ecstasy, then you go to town on him. So long as his bulkhead is closed, you do gently caress-all to him. Admittedly the game never emphasizes how good stat-boosting items are in battle, but they're really drat good and the same one can stack twice, which lets you easily take out a third of his health with Action Triggers.

Admittedly a strategy I'm bad at in RPGs, though I didn't realize stat-boosters stacked! Gonna have to keep that in mind, I've been sorta stockpiling them...

And since I neglected to get this thread caught up with the other two last week, here's the remainder of the Mach Jentra run:

Part 22: "A Robot Made This Show"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ha2WoHWxnY

Part 23: "The Dog Penis Whisperer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGqTnVnSa0

Part 24: "Two and a Half Years"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3JCs7gu7SM

Part 25: "A Really Sweet-rear end Ham Sandwich"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65X5JTwdMf4

Including the bullshit robot swarm post-boss. Euf.

Part 26: "Security Guard Destruction Simulator 4000"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnqNwg7_9PY

Chapter 6 starts today! It was a bit of a ride, this should be interesting.

• Locked thread