Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it some kind of iron rule that when you take a series from 2D to 3D the first 3D installment is going to be hot garbage?

Unless you're Nintendo (insert panel of Smash Bros cast yelling "We're the exception!")?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Power Bottom posted:

Megaman Legends was good, though. Or do you mean in the context of X rather than the series as a whole?

Specifically X trying to keep continuity with the prior series, yeah. Legends could come up with its own pace and lockon mechanics and enemies and there wasn't anything to exactly compare it to. X7 has all prior X to live up to.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Burn to the ground" must be a context-free translation of something that doesn't sound like mad yodeling in the original Japanese.

Or maybe it still did. I imagine this didn't sell well in any market.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Now I've just got the image of a Mega Man X ripoff game where the Internet of Things has consumed reality and maverick furniture gains sentience and tries to sit on man.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

get that OUT of my face posted:

This LP needed more Cat Cam. It was a breath of fresh air to see Lindsay play fetch with the cats in the midst of the horrible things X7 threw at you.

More LPs could stand to have an emergency backup cat camera in case of extreme game boredom.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm afraid that Neato Mosquito is far too childish and whimsical a name for the sophisticated and serious atmosphere we are curating here in this world of Mega Man "BURNTOTHEGROUNDBURNTOTHEGROUNDBURNTOTHEGROUND" X.

I think weapon energy increases the odds Spider's going to get a powerful hand? The first time you let him charge to 100% you had lethal an outside straight flush draw and your first new card was the nine of spades.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 20, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
(spoilers for ep12 Massimo)

The impression I got was more that Steel Massimo entrusted his armor to some grunt rather than give his captors that iconic symbol to parade around and demoralize people.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised you actually pulled all that off after so much of the party bit it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that's a huge damage variance that just bounced Marino turn 1 one run and kind of plinked off her the next.

Can you buy Phoenix Downs or the local robot equivalent?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised how little control you wind up having over turn order. Then again you didn't get the super-fine positioning outside of some NISA stuff, right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, I see. Cinnamon needs to get a couple of turns before she can just heal anyone. Or you have to burn weapon energy items, assuming those exist. Either way that's pretty fair but no substitute for an actual e-tank when you're in crisis mode.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there a way to change your main weapon in battle? I suppose you can rotate party members, that's good enough for not hitting absorb fire or whatever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, Spider's just kind of a liability now that there are elemental enemies. If he hits a random absorb, anyway.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Given the situation Gain Hypers pulled you out of I'd be pretty surprised if you could buy them, honestly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's got to be something to point you around in this maze. Maybe something you should have bought back at base?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord, this place is determined to frustrate you to death.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess they realized that they hadn't done a mouthbreather Reploid yet, so they made Botos?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, the Eye of Argon gets a bad rap. It was some high school kid filling out the pages of a hobbyist zine he was printing himself, using school equipment since desktop publishing didn't exist yet. It just got brought into the larger scene at a con and endured because nerds can never let anything go.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think you were looking for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvi46JYzwdU

It's weird how Axl isn't showing up in cutscenes and it's just X, Zero, and Massimo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ricdesi posted:

It is weird though how they choose which three to show sometimes, it almost feels completely random in a few instances.

And drat, it totally was Mega Man 3, that's... impressively specific, huh.

MM3 had a pretty distinctive soundtrack for the series. I think they might have intended it as the final chapter? I think you can judge how much the later Megas Man copy weapon get and stage select themes and such from each other, but MM3 was all kind of its own animal in that regard.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Until this moment in my life I have never realized how much I would enjoy seeing a big fat robot jackhammering around on his own butt.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"You cannot stop me, X! I fight for the future! THE FUTURE WHERE I KILL YOU!"

At this point I seriously just want to blame memes. Reploids just got the idea that if they killed enough humans something good would happen, and it's not going away.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's some really proficient gamescrew. Three consecutive boss fights and it saves after the first one.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
From an RPG perspective, I liked the Lavos boss rush. Didn't change the stats of pretty much everything and you tore it up from the floor up with your endgame gear and moves.

This does not look to be that.

Or the Mario RPG "boss rush" where the end dungeon was full of mass-production versions of the previous big bosses.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Saying that there hasn't been a really outstanding Mega Man fan game yet made me wonder - has anyone there played 20XX yet? It's kind of a Mega Man X roguelike.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hope you can find a not-poo poo controller. That's kind of a concern as games in general age - who even makes peripherals anymore?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, they learned a whole butt-ton of lessons from X7, looks like. No painstaking narration of all these guys and their plans.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the weapon get animations. Even if they're a little fast they still do show off the weapon, which is always a good thing to have from a weapon get screen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Axl's trilobite weapon is the bouncy-crystal thing he was doing. I imagine it richochets off walls and such.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sorry to hear things went so wrong for you.

I think Squeeze Bomb was the right call against the trilobyte - it crunched his armor and sucked up his bouncy shots, though it doesn't look easy to actually hit him with it since you have to clear the way of crystals.

(also I think that crystal power of his can "mine things" out of the ground, like in that suspicious block in the ant stage)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The series ended in kind of a terrifying place, honestly? Now we've got Reploids who can just... flip a switch and go psycho. Good lord X must be breaking down right now, since the world is now full of Mavericks that have every option to stop but just choose not to.

• Locked thread