Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I assume my HDD has failed, but on the off chance there's any way to save it...

Problem description: I have a 3TB Seagate HDD I've been using for some time now. A few months ago I started noticing it would disappear from my drives list in Windows until I rebooted. I bought a new drive to replace it with but of course was lazy and waited until this problem became permanent. I now can't get it to show up on my drive list in windows, can't see it in Disk Management, can't see it in cmd, nothing. However, I have gotten it to show up in BIOS. I also noticed it got quite hot, not burning, but hot. I also notice that my computer takes much longer to boot up if I have that drive connected than when I don't.

Attempted fixes: Tried letting it cool down. Tried safe mode. Tried different SATA cables/ports.

Recent changes: Not that I know of

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10 Pro

System specs: Case: Fractal R5
CPU: 6700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200
GPU: MSI GTX 970
PSU: EVGA 650W G2
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1tb
HDD: Seagate 3TB 7200rpm

I have Googled and read the FAQ: YES

Someone please help me so I don't lose my old pictures and music!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, all those symptoms point to a failing/dead HD.

In this situation I'd put the new HD into the computer and then try connecting the failing/dead HD through USB using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW

If the HD still doesn't show up it's dead.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Zogo posted:

Yea, all those symptoms point to a failing/dead HD.

In this situation I'd put the new HD into the computer and then try connecting the failing/dead HD through USB using one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW

If the HD still doesn't show up it's dead.

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a whirl. Wish me luck :)

• Locked thread