Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Probably just a maintenance sticker but still cool as hell.

That looks like the timing belt sticker. Either it was changed at 100k KM, or it was due at 100k KM. Either way, best be changing it before you stick it in a car.

This plug ( I believe its the intake vvt) along with the correct style fan blades, timing cover, and lack of igniter pack are convincing me that the seller wasn't BS and it actually is a gen 2. Having had a chance to look at the stuff if you need to get a jap motor or parts Venus Automotive seems really legit the motor was about 500$ less than anywhere else and their other stuff is on the cheaper side as well.

Yeah that's definitely a series 2, Bonus! I'd check the coil packs out because they have the same issue as the 1JZ where the valley between the valve covers gets hot as hell and they crack, but apart from that these are pretty drat bulletproof engines. They love to rev and ping off the limiter which is why they're immensely popular with drifters over here in Aus. If it's run stock boost in a Stagea all it's life, it'll likely just need a refresh, (maybe do rear main seal and timing belt) and you should be good to go until those turbo seals wear out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Its getting a tear down for at a minimum all the maintenance items (head gasket included) and address some of the oiling issues . I have been trying to decide if I will build it up, mostly cause I don't know and can't get a good answer as to what the factory internals are good for. The coils look good but I might just convert to GM ls2/lq9 coil packs.

Yeah upgrade the coils if at all possible. The SR guys use Yaris coils, not sure if they're good for RBs.

Honestly I wouldn't take the head off unless it's a known BHG, or you're doing a serious build and want to go an MLS gasket. Bottom ends aren't as solid as a JZ, but should be good for 3-400 crank HP, especially if you're going E85. In a Z that's pretty drat good. Of course if you want a 1/4 mile monster, by all means build it.