Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2014, refer to archives]

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar

Current:

I, Claudius by Robert Graves

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J3W9JQW/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

About the book:

quote:

I, Claudius (1934) is a novel by English writer Robert Graves, written in the form of an autobiography of the Roman Emperor Claudius. Accordingly, it includes the history of the Julio-Claudian Dynasty and the Roman Empire, from Julius Caesar's assassination in 44 BC to Caligula's assassination in 41 AD.

The 'autobiography' of Claudius continues (from Claudius' accession after Caligula's death, to his own death in 54) in Claudius the God (1935). The sequel also includes a section written as a biography of Herod Agrippa, contemporary of Claudius and future King of the Jews. The two books were adapted by the BBC into an award-winning television serial, I, Claudius.

In 1998 the Modern Library ranked I, Claudius fourteenth on its list of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. In 2005, the novel was chosen by Time as one of the one hundred best English-language novels from 1923 to present.[2]

quote:

The I, Claudius novels, as they are called collectively, became massively popular when first published in 1934 and gained literary recognition with the award of the 1934 James Tait Black Prize for fiction. They are probably Graves's best known work aside from his myth essay The White Goddess, his English translation of The Golden rear end and his own autobiography Goodbye to All That. Graves later claimed that they were written only from financial need on a strict deadline. Nonetheless, they are today regarded as pioneering masterpieces of historical fiction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Claudius

About the Author

quote:

Robert von Ranke Graves (also known as Robert Ranke Graves and most commonly Robert Graves; 24 July 1895 – 7 December 1985)[1] was an English poet, novelist, critic and classicist. In a way similar to Oscar Wilde, Robert Graves was a Celticist and student of Irish mythology, by the influence of his father Alfred Perceval Graves a celebrated Irish poet — with William Wilde these families were inheritors of the Gaelic revival. He produced more than 140 works. Graves's poems—together with his translations and innovative analysis and interpretations of the Greek myths; his memoir of his early life, including his role in the First World War, Good-Bye to All That; and his speculative study of poetic inspiration, The White Goddess—have never been out of print.[2] Irish literature deeply affected Graves' White Goddess theories, specifically the genre aisling.

Historical Context

quote:

Claudius was the fourth Emperor of Rome (r. 41–54 AD). Historically, Claudius' family kept him out of public life until his sudden coronation at the age of forty nine. This was due to his being perceived as being a dolt due to his stammering, limp and other nervous tics. This made others see him as mentally deficient and also therefore not a threat to his ambitious relatives. Even as his symptoms begin to wane in his teenage years, he runs into trouble for his work as a budding historian. His work on a history of the civil wars was too truthful and too critical of the reigning emperor Augustus, and his mother and grandmother quickly put a stop to it. This episode reinforced their initial suspicions that Claudius was not fit for public office. This is how he was defined by scholars for most of history, and Graves uses these peculiarities to develop a sympathetic character whose survival in a murderous dynasty depends upon his family's incorrect assumption that he is a harmless idiot.

Graves's interpretation of the story owes much to the histories of Gaius Cornelius Tacitus, Plutarch, and (especially) Suetonius (Lives of the Twelve Caesars). Graves translated Suetonius before writing the novels. Graves claimed that after he read Suetonius, Claudius came to him in a dream one night and demanded that his real story be told. The life of Claudius provided Graves with a way to write about the first four Emperors of Rome (Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, and Claudius) from an intimate point of view.

In addition, the real Claudius was a trained historian and is known to have written an autobiography (now lost) in eight books that covered the same time period. I, Claudius is a first-person narrative of Roman history from the reigns of Augustus to Caligula; Claudius the God is written as a later addition documenting Claudius' own reign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Claudius

Pacing

Just read, then Post.

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Claudius_(TV_series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Caesars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutarch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus

http://mentalfloss.com/article/65267/12-things-you-might-not-know-about-i-claudius

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10096739/I-Claudius-what-HBO-can-learn-from-the-BBC-classic.html

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sweet, will be starting this soon.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Same. Have had it on the shelf forever am psyched to have a reason to read it

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
This is a really good book. I'm not sure how historically accurate it is, but I found it extremely enjoyable. Recent I read "Count Belissarius" by him, which was also very good but not as amazing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Walh Hara posted:

This is a really good book. I'm not sure how historically accurate it is, but I found it extremely enjoyable. Recent I read "Count Belissarius" by him, which was also very good but not as amazing.

I'm no classicist but my understanding has always been that Graves was and that this book is as historically accurate as it can be given the premise, the subject matter, and the limited and politicized nature of the historical record.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I read I, Claudius and Claudius the God a few years ago. I don't have time now for a re-read, but hope there's some discussion where I remember enough to contribute.

Graves used some of the saucier tales from ancient sources to keep it interesting. Most of it's accurate in that it was contemporary, but there were biases.

Though I vastly preferred I, Claudius, Herod's letter about Jesus in Claudius the God might be my favorite passage from the two.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
livia is actually good

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

A goon recommended me this book a while ago and it is now my favorite, thanks goon.

Also the BBC mini series from the 70s is worth watching, Derek Jacobi is an excellent Cla-Cla-Claudius.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I recently read Augustus, and just started this, so it really is interesting visiting the same time period at the beginning of this book with mostly the same story. I think one of the inconsistencies that surprised me was in Augustus, Julia hated Tiberius, but her father says she has to do her duty no matter how awful a person he is. In this book, Julia begs her father and maybe Livia, I forget, to have her marry Tiberius. it's Tiberius who wants nothing to do with her because he is happily married..Also, in this book it is never really mentioned how repulsive Octavius finds Tiberius and does everything in his power to find a different successor. Anyway, I am enjoying it a lot.

Edit: Also, great that in this book he gives a reason for Octavius not having kids with Livia which is absent from Augustus.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 13, 2017

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
About 20% in, jolly good reading so far.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

my bony fealty posted:

A goon recommended me this book a while ago and it is now my favorite, thanks goon.

Also the BBC mini series from the 70s is worth watching, Derek Jacobi is an excellent Cla-Cla-Claudius.

I think you are underselling it. The production budget isn't exactly one the level of Game of Thrones but other than that it's great. I own it on DVD and have watched it multiple times.

Derek Jacobi is the perfect Claudius, Brian Blessed hams it up as the perfect Augustus, and Patrick Stewart wears a wig. What more do you want?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Derek Jacobi is perfect, period. I saw him play Richard II back in the day--the best theatre moment of my life.

Just started this last night, not quite what I expected.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

General Emergency posted:

I think you are underselling it. The production budget isn't exactly one the level of Game of Thrones but other than that it's great. I own it on DVD and have watched it multiple times.

Derek Jacobi is the perfect Claudius, Brian Blessed hams it up as the perfect Augustus, and Patrick Stewart wears a wig. What more do you want?

I suspect you might not have Game of Thrones on HBO today, without I Claudius on BBC back then.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Ha, about a third of the way in now. Pretty sure I'm going to go straight on to the sequel and then track down the BBC series, this poo poo is great.

The Livia character was also inspiration for Tony's mother in The Sopranos, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
For next month I'm probably going to pick either Nixonland or All the President's Men. Maybe Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For next month I'm probably going to pick either Nixonland or All the President's Men. Maybe Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72

Depends on what part of RMN's career you want to focus on. Nixonland revolves around the '68 and '72 elections and pretty much ignores Watergate.

Nixonland also takes a deeper dive into Nixon's personality and motivations than ATPM, which is more on the "just the facts" side.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 23, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd like an excuse to finally read Nixonland

Also y'all knew that Robert Graves wrote this book after the ghost of Claudius appeared to him in a dream and demanded that he do so, right

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Really loving I, Claudius so far.

I read ATPM back in high school so I would probably vote Nixonland or Fear and Loathing first, but would read any and all since it has been so long since I last read ATPM (and undoubtedly didn't get much from it begin a smooth-brained teenager)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

What? You're not going to go with "Claudius the God"? Shame. This thread reminded me that I have both books from years ago; I'm rereading them now, and they're still great. Claudius really comes across as a real person, somewhat awkward in the construction of his private writing. They're really interesting books that pack a lot of amazing history into them.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
My classical history professor praised this book, but when i mentioned his greek myths series, he told me they were "next to worthless" due to his origins/footnotes on the myths being completely wrong. However i have found nothing to confirm that.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

rocket_man38 posted:

My classical history professor praised this book, but when i mentioned his greek myths series, he told me they were "next to worthless" due to his origins/footnotes on the myths being completely wrong. However i have found nothing to confirm that.

Yeah, he was right. See e.g. the reception subheading on the wiki for The Greek Myths. Or, for a more comprehensive takedown of virtually everything he says, see this review. That was written in 1955, and the book's merit in the eyes of scholars hasn't improved since then.

Graves' mythological work is, as a general rule, batshit. The Greek Myths are less batshit than The White Goddess, which is extraordinarily batshit, but it's batshit nonetheless. They're both good reading, but their scholarly value is nill.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 28, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

What? You're not going to go with "Claudius the God"? Shame. This thread reminded me that I have both books from years ago; I'm rereading them now, and they're still great. Claudius really comes across as a real person, somewhat awkward in the construction of his private writing. They're really interesting books that pack a lot of amazing history into them.

My general thought process is that these BotMs are kindof a tasting tour, so I generally avoid sequels -- I figure my work is done by pointing out the first one, and people who like it can continue on to the sequel and discuss that too if they want.

That said, sure, I can include it in the poll (which I should be getting up sometime this weekend). Any other suggestions besides Nixon Lit?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Yeah, he was right. See e.g. the reception subheading on the wiki for The Greek Myths. Or, for a more comprehensive takedown of virtually everything he says, see this review. That was written in 1955, and the book's merit in the eyes of scholars hasn't improved since then.

Graves' mythological work is, as a general rule, batshit. The Greek Myths are less batshit than The White Goddess, which is extraordinarily batshit, but it's batshit nonetheless. They're both good reading, but their scholarly value is nill.

Good to know actually. I have a copy of The White Goddess and I never got that far into it because it kept tripping my bullshit flags.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Good to know actually. I have a copy of The White Goddess and I never got that far into it because it kept tripping my bullshit flags.

its still interesting imo, its just not, uh, true. but, then, it isn't really trying to be a scholarly work, so i guess it's not fair to judge it as such. this is what graves said about it a few years after writing it, which i think is really funny:

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 29, 2017

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
After sort of quote can't help but like the guy.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Finished and went straight on to the sequel, about a quarter of the way through that now... Herod Agrippa is a hilarious motherfucker.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
C'mon peeps. Gimme some good suggestions, I need a couple more.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Just finished this book. The Caligula arc is legitimately absurd. Did anyone else find this book unexpectedly funny at times? I'm definitely going to get the sequel from the library pretty soon. As for suggestions, Denis Johnson recently died, so one of his books could be the BOTM. Angels, Fiskadoro, and Jesus' Son all seem to be generally well-regarded.

edit: to sell you all on Denis Johnson, here's a pdf of a short story that he did: Car Crash While Hitchhiking.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

rngd in the womb posted:

Just finished this book. The Caligula arc is legitimately absurd. Did anyone else find this book unexpectedly funny at times?

I wouldn't say it was unexpectedly funny, as I was pretty familiar with the absurdity and tragi-comedy of early imperial Rome already, but the Claudius narrator/character is indeed a hoot.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

rngd in the womb posted:

Just finished this book. The Caligula arc is legitimately absurd. Did anyone else find this book unexpectedly funny at times? I'm definitely going to get the sequel from the library pretty soon. As for suggestions, Denis Johnson recently died, so one of his books could be the BOTM. Angels, Fiskadoro, and Jesus' Son all seem to be generally well-regarded.

edit: to sell you all on Denis Johnson, here's a pdf of a short story that he did: Car Crash While Hitchhiking.

If you like that, you absolutely must watch the BBC series -- John Hurt goes all-out in playing Caligula and it's awesome.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

The White Boy Shuffle by Paul Beatty is hilarious, fun, deep, and painful. I also really want to hear the opinion of someone who isn't a college professor.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Selachian posted:

If you like that, you absolutely must watch the BBC series -- John Hurt goes all-out in playing Caligula and it's awesome.

Oh gently caress! John Hurt as Caligula? SOLD.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell could make for an interesting discussion.

e: Or if you want politics, House of Cards by Michael Dobbs.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 3, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

rngd in the womb posted:

Trust me, he goes all loving in.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I'm only about halfway through, but the first 75 pages were kind of a slog, even as a casual history buff. It's really picked up since then and I'm eager to finish it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Robert Graves did - to my mind - such a good job with the details and the overall history that it seems almost believable that it was Claudius' autobiography. The parts about the oracular guidance - both the ancient rhyme and the one spoken to Claudius - are a really nice touch. The only thing that was slightly jarring was the use of the term "assegai" instead of javelin, but apparently a lot of people have had that comment over time. Livia was quite the mistress of manipulation and murder, as well, especially with her smearing poison on the figs in the garden so that she could poison her husband.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Also he did an impressive job differentiating between a shitload of characters who mostly had variations of the same name and were mostly related to each other in a big old tangled up ball of gently caress.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Groke posted:

Also he did an impressive job differentiating between a shitload of characters who mostly had variations of the same name and were mostly related to each other in a big old tangled up ball of gently caress.

Claudius posted:

In compiling my histories of Etruria and Carthage I have spent more angry hours than I care to recall, puzzling out in what year this or that event happened and whether a man named So-and-so was really So-and-so or whether he was a son or grandson or great-grandson or no relation at all. I intend to spare my successors this sort of irritation.

Thus, for example, of the several characters in the present history who have the name of Drusus—my father; myself; a son of mine; my first cousin; my nephew—each will be plainly distinguished wherever mentioned. And, for example again, in speaking of my tutor, Marcus Porcius Cato, I must make it clear that he was neither Marcus Porcius Cato, the Censor, instigator of the Third Punic war; nor his son of the same name, the well-known jurist; nor his grandson, the Consul of the same name, nor his great-grandson of the same name, Julius Caesar's enemy; nor his great-great-grandson, of the same name, who fell at the Battle of Philippi; but an absolutely undistinguished great-great-great-grandson, still of the same name, who never bore any public dignity and who deserved none.

Robert Graves had a classical education himself and I've always felt that he got a lot of satisfaction from writing this passage.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
I've read and re-read I, Claudius and Claudius the God I'm not sure how many times. I will have to re-read them again thanks to this thread. It was thanks to this book that I became interested in Ancient Rome and the Julio-Claudian Emperors.

Claudius was the family member they didn't deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

rngd in the womb posted:

I just started on this, having on purpose not read much about the adaptation, and it drat well has BRIAN BLESSED [1] as Augustus, too.

[1] Can't really use lower-case letters to write that name.

• Locked thread