Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want a thread full of birds!

Here's some grackles to get you started!

You come in here, you better have birds to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/dkxLixosXw0

E: the poo poo tag is fitting. it's an invitation to post pigeons though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Love it.

Also, forgetting to set the tag, this thread is off to a great start.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Steller's Sea Eagle

It can, and will, gently caress up your poo poo.

Here's a juvenile Steller's Sea Eagle staring down a Golden Eagle, who's normally a complete rear end in a top hat bird. It's Steller's Sea Eagle's bitch though.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Sponge Baathist posted:

https://youtu.be/dkxLixosXw0

E: the poo poo tag is fitting. it's an invitation to post pigeons though.

Return fire!

https://youtu.be/RSZtoXIb7do

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
second salvo under construction

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Holy poo poo yes.
Here are my two favorite birds:

1. Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)

These dudes live all over North America, so chances are that you've seen one (assuming you're an NA goon, like me). Their cry is pretty distinctive but not that pretty, sadly. This was my favorite bird of all time until I got more experience with #2

2. Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) ---> gently caress you, Pikachu; ornithologists said it first and best!

These little guys are smart as gently caress, being part of the corvid family with crows and all. All magpies are pretty cool but this guy is my favorite. They are common af across Europe and Asia. Saw these all the time in Korea.

Just look at this majestic motherfucker:

Teketeketeketeke has a new favorite as of 17:39 on May 9, 2017

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Holy poo poo yes.
Here are my two favorite birds:

1. Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)

These dudes live all over North America, so chances are that you've seen one (assuming you're an NA goon, like me). Their cry is pretty distinctive but not that pretty, sadly. This was my favorite bird of all time until I got more experience with #2

I just moved to the country and we have tons of these around our property. One side is a natural wetland and that must be prime Red winged Blackbird habitat.

Something interesting that I've noticed is that their yellow stripe is not visible in the winter. Weird.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Pigeons are pretty good birds.

Love the cooing sound they make.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mds2 posted:

I just moved to the country and we have tons of these around our property. One side is a natural wetland and that must be prime Red winged Blackbird habitat.

Something interesting that I've noticed is that their yellow stripe is not visible in the winter. Weird.

The ones I see in Michigan almost never have a visible yellow marking. It's almost all red.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

mds2 posted:

Probably, since a ditch with a tuft of cat tails growing in it is "prime red-winged blackbird habitat." They're apparently the most numerous bird on the continent, and I love them.

Since this thread started strong with grackles and red-winged blackbirds, have a bunch of icterid flags I made because I'm addicted to designing flags:

I wasn't happy with my first attempt at a meadowlark flag, so I redesigned it with a pall and that looked so good I decided icterid flags should all have palls.

Schrecken
May 21, 2016

Child of Woe
Scarlet Ibis (Eudocimus Ruber)

Northern Bald Ibis (Geronticus Eremita)

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Bearded vultures are awesome. They're absolutely massive with a wingspan of over nine feet, and their diet is 70-90% bone which is why they used to be called ossifrages :black101:

They rub mud on their bodies for that pretty blood-red shine.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Algae Magnet
Jul 1, 2013
Always been a fan of the Kingfisher.

Great Unreal Tournament players, perfected the triple kill. :black101:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Seagulls are my favorite trash birds.

I like watching them steal food from people at the beach.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Forum mod Literally a Bird.

Also, owls. I love owls and I really don't know why.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
In China they're "Cat Head Eagles"

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Internet Kraken posted:

:same:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Algae Magnet posted:

Always been a fan of the Kingfisher.

Great Unreal Tournament players, perfected the triple kill. :black101:

I love Kingfishers. Here at work we have 4 large ponds surrounding the building and they happily thin out the bluegill population.

And they hit the building sometimes :(

I've also noticed in the last week we've had 3 or 4 Eastern Bluebirds show up. I plan on making a bunch of birdhouses this summer.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

scarycave posted:

Pigeons are pretty good birds.

Love the cooing sound they make.

Yes! Pigeons are my most favorite bird, sadly they face a lot of undeserved prejudice. People associate them with the city so I believe that is why most people dismiss them as being like a rat, but they are very graceful and beautiful creatures and there are so many different kinds of pigeon from the classic and very stylish rock dove to the cultured wood pigeon of Europe, if you prefer smaller pigeons you can not go wrong with a ground dove. Pigeons have the wardrobe for almost every occasion from the simple and refined to the gaudy and flamboyant. :bigtran:

Abyssal Squid posted:

Probably, since a ditch with a tuft of cat tails growing in it is "prime red-winged blackbird habitat." They're apparently the most numerous bird on the continent, and I love them.

Since this thread started strong with grackles and red-winged blackbirds, have a bunch of icterid flags I made because I'm addicted to designing flags:

I wasn't happy with my first attempt at a meadowlark flag, so I redesigned it with a pall and that looked so good I decided icterid flags should all have palls.

I do not think that black works well with flags, you should try to create flags with more primary colors, I think it would fit the geometric shapes better. Otherwise they are not bad look for a flag. Have you seen the flags for the Japanese prefectures? I think you would appreciate them. :)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM98Vencdwo The best bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4nWj7Yhpos Just the greatest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYIEIe4-nfw The very best.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Secretary birds are pretty cool, although they look a bit silly up close.

Actually, Secretary Bird looks silly from a distance too. It resembles a falcon on stilts.

So what is so cool about this bird?

Well, it kills snakes and lizards by kung fu kicking the poo poo out of them.

Look at this motherfucker go!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Internet Kraken posted:

It's always fun when you buy fries at the board walk and then it suddenly becomes a hitchcock film.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Feed me.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I really like watching Chickadees. They're like little fighter jets that can turn on a dime in mid air. They're also relatively friendly.

I also like cardinals, blue jays, and crows. I like the look of starlings but I hate their mobbing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

A couple years back we had some barn swallows set up shop under an awning in our apartment. It was pretty cool watching their babies grow up. I had footage and pictures of this, but lost them with my old phone.

Barn Swallows are Rad Birds.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Did that bird just vomit up a dildo?

I like pelicans. There's a video on Youtube of one walking around a zoo in New Orleans just ready to start poo poo with anyone who gets too close.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Here's some grackles to get you started!

These fuckers are everywhere in Austin. They're ugly and they poo poo everywhere and I hate them. It doesn't help that they make up for at least half of all birds here.

Austin needs better birds.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
This absurd thing

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I love these stupid little retard birds.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I love watching flocks of Starlings flying. Here's a nice video. The way they all move together is just really beautiful and soothing to watch.

Also: hummingbirds!

Shayu posted:

Yes! Pigeons are my most favorite bird, sadly they face a lot of undeserved prejudice.

I went to New Jersey recently and saw a pigeon just chilling, not bothered by people walking by like a foot away from it, which I thought was cool so I started walking toward it. Like 10 people immediately screamed at me to get away from it because it was a dirty pigeon. :confused: It's just a loving bird, guys! Folks in my area don't exactly LIKE them, but these people reacted as if I had tried to lick a cockroach.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Lmao

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I love wrens, but my favorite bird is the humble barn swallow!

They are considered good luck! They nest close to humans and eat bugs. They do everything while flying.

They don't have the most melodic song but it is theirs. They are lovely.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Nettles Coterie posted:

I went to New Jersey recently and saw a pigeon just chilling, not bothered by people walking by like a foot away from it, which I thought was cool so I started walking toward it. Like 10 people immediately screamed at me to get away from it because it was a dirty pigeon. :confused: It's just a loving bird, guys! Folks in my area don't exactly LIKE them, but these people reacted as if I had tried to lick a cockroach.

It is so strange, pigeons love to keep themselves clean with baths and showers and abhor dirt and grime. I think that you are more likely to get sick from other people than from a pigeon.

On Twitter there is large community of pigeon fanatics, I would link to you the Twitter page but from my phone it's much more difficult so I will link some of the tweets and you can go to their profile from there. I only use Twitter now to just look at people's birds they own or see, here take a look!!!

https://twitter.com/a_london_pigeon/status/762224137427451904

https://twitter.com/mouettemew/status/865870860816490496

https://twitter.com/810_mune/status/863751934850748416

https://twitter.com/batako_mo2bock/status/862931871784550400

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pelicans freak me out. Whenever I see one I remember those videos where a pelican swallows some smaller animal whole and you can see it squirming around in its mouth and throat. Its disgusting.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rOjh4Lr78

Here's some cool poo poo about peregrine falcons and their famous dive.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I'm a big fan of waxings, particularly the Cedar Waxwing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I like crows. People around here call them Garbage Chickens, but I like them because they're clever and goofy. I like their quiet gurgling chatter they use to each other close up when they aren't cawing from a distance. And in spring, when the chicks are fledging, you have gangs of adolescent crows in their first adult feathers, trying to learn how to bird, while parents and/or older siblings watch them from some place high up.

I also like this guy.

There are many cockatiels like him, but this one is mine.

• Locked thread