Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

JnnyThndrs posted:

The Great Blue Heron is my poo poo, I live in the Sac-San Joaquin Delta area and if you know where they like to hang out at, they're everywhere.

(Not my pics)

They're great huge bastards, and they'll eat just about anything - I once saw a GBH trying to eat a large red squirrel while standing by the side of a busy freeway in Chino Hills, California, of all places. The tail was hanging out of the side of his bill and I assume he was trying to turn it around in order to swallow it whole. Normally their diet is made up of fish, invertebrates, amphibians, whatever lives in shallow water.

They're very solitary, don't make a whole lot of noise, are always impeccably clean while standing in muddy swamps, bogs, ditches and so forth. They've made a huge comeback from their early Seventies DDT-depleted numbers and I'm glad of it.

oh goodness yes most def felt m8

i am hopelessly addicted to heron

usually the GBHs i see are flying high but i see egrets (both great and snowies) almost daily fairly up close an have tons of pics and vid. i think the latent obsession seed was planted in 3rd grade when one was pointed out on a field trip and i was amazed by it's pterodactylishness...but now i think they are just beautiful and fun to seek out and observe

Impkins Patootie has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Delivery McGee posted:

All my photos:

a couple summers back i was outside on a deck and my eye caught a hummingbird from maybe 50ft away heading directly towards me as i believe there was a feeder right next to me...but it was quite an amazing sight to behold!

Impkins Patootie has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Jun 19, 2017

• Locked thread