Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Gosh I love the lore stuff you drop. I had no idea the significance of Enuma Elish and I've been playing Fate games on and off since F/SN. It's pretty rad that he's just recreating a creation myth as a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
So I guess this side story is going to be all about what Gil was doing in the time leading up to his big dramatic rescue of our protagonist.

Technically, Ea isn't the true name of Gil's sword either; it's just a placeholder name he uses for it. It was created by a god before humanity existed, so if it was ever given a name at all, it's unknown to humanity. Fortunately, it's an exception to the usual rule of needing to call out its true name to activate its full power; "Enuma Elish" works fine.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Gilgamesh 2

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Actually, Rin does know that, she just doesn't acknowledge it in the prologue. Rin is not a very honest person.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Gilgamesh 3

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
IIRC it's not the case that Gilgamesh literally collected all the prototypes of future NP weapons, it's that his myth states that he obtained all the treasures of the world, so therefore he did.

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
Acutely like it says in the thing what is in Gils though since he collected all the treasures of his time is the origin of human wisdom so he kind of has all the things and as mankind makes more things his vault grows only things made by new humans and aliens are not in his vault

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I could have sworn Gil had to burn a bunch of his treasures to save Hakuno in CCC (IE prior to Extella).

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Elizabeth 1

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cuntellectual posted:

I could have sworn Gil had to burn a bunch of his treasures to save Hakuno in CCC (IE prior to Extella).

Considering he basically has Scrooge's Money Bin inside his treasury (in the couch change section) I'm not sure he can actually meaningfully exhaust his treasures.
Gil's limitations are his maximum throughput, his lack of skill with his summoned weaponry beyond the Enkidu* and an ego the size of the universe meaning that he never bothers fighting seriously.
And the first two limitations happen because of the third anyway, if he actually bothers his maximum throughput is enough for basically anything he may face.

*Edit: I'm assuming he actually knows what's he's doing with the Enkidu but seriously he named it after his best friend and the only human he actually respects I'd say it's a safe assumption.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 14, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Minor quibble: I think you meant to mention Carmilla instead of Drac in that comment on Liz's connection to vampire stories.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Dr. Snark posted:

Minor quibble: I think you meant to mention Carmilla instead of Drac in that comment on Liz's connection to vampire stories.

Bram Stoker's Dracula was inspired by Le Fanu's Carmilla, so you could say that Liz indirectly inspired Dracula :shrug:.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

Bram Stoker's Dracula was inspired by Le Fanu's Carmilla, so you could say that Liz indirectly inspired Dracula :shrug:.

Basically yeah. Stoker only got the name Dracula from the historical figure of Vlad III, but invented more or less everything else wholesale. Carmilla very much helped create the image of the mysterious, bloodsucking monster dwelling in an ominous abode in Eastern Europe. If we're talking about the actual character of Dracula, he owes a lot more to Bathory's popular image than the historical Wallachian king who fought against the Turks.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 14, 2018

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Elizabeth 2

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Elizabeth 3

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Altera posted:

Even Archimedes bows at the feet of the new Queen Elizabeth... Wait, that's not very important. Less amazing.
Even in Liz's story, Altera's the best. :allears:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That whole side story was terrible, and that's coming from someone who really likes Elizabeth. The only remotely interesting thing about it was the reference to Elagabalus, one of the most colorful Roman emperors in history.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Incidentally, I couldn't break the gimmick, but Elizabeth is honestly the worst character gameplay-wise in the game. All of her attacks are weak, and I was using a strength-boosting Install Skill, and she still takes forever to clear stages. Between the two runs I did of her third stage, I killed about 23k enemies, and I wasn't even going for EX rank my first time. About the only thing she really has going for her is her projectile attack, which is pretty good, but it doesn't make up for her many other shortcomings. I hope she gets buffed like, a lot, in extella link.

It's such a breath of fresh air to play as Artoria afterwards because man, I forgot how goddamn good she is in this game. Once she hits level 10 or so and gets the move where she flips forward, slams her sword down and shoots out three blasts of energy in a spreadshot formation, she rockets ahead of basically everyone else in the game and stays there. She can blow away entire armies in a single move. You can't really get a chance to see the depth of her power within her side story, but that's for next time.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Liz is really an odd character, and I do like her a lot, even if she's treated as a joke 99% of the time. Fight on, Eli-chan!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Artoria 0.5

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 21, 2018

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The unlock condition is actually a bit more annoying than you described: you have to eat five Yakisoba Breads in a row without picking up any other items in between.

Also, in the original version of the game in Japan, you could only do her side mission at specific times of day, although that requirement eventually got patched out in an update.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Artoria 1

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Thuryl posted:

The unlock condition is actually a bit more annoying than you described: you have to eat five Yakisoba Breads in a row without picking up any other items in between.

Also, in the original version of the game in Japan, you could only do her side mission at specific times of day, although that requirement eventually got patched out in an update.

I will freely admit that there is one thing I appreciate about the unlock conditions, namely the fact that you trigger her appearance through binge-eating. That just...fits.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
I prefer the story of Nero and Artoria's meeting presented in All-Around Type Moon, but this allows them both to retain their dignity, so it's nice.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Interestingly, in original Arthurian myth, Mordred and Morgan le Fay have either a slim connection (Nephew and Aunt) or no connection at all, depending on how far back you go. It seems Morgana being the mother of Mordred comes from people looking at their names and seeing that they start with "Mor-" :v:

Obviously, Fate takes this modern interpretation, but it wouldn't be super out of character for Nasu to use the fact that there isn't actually a connection as a way to swerve the plot at some point in the future.

Also, I really like that you're using Mysterious Heroine X :allears:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Incidentally, reading over 0.5 again, I noticed I failed to ID the correct Sector in the actual update in Dawn Arc. The issue has been addressed in a revised update. Thank you.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Artoria 2

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

There are some other subtle changes in appearance between the different versions of Artoria, too. For example, Saber Alter has golden eyes instead of regular Saber's blue-green colour, due to her dragon blood fully awakening and affecting her body. (Jeanne Alter also gets golden eyes, but there's no special reason in her case; it's just because golden eyes are cool.)

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 25, 2018

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
What I meant about Nero maintaining her dignity in the previous section is demonstrated by Tamamo's complete collapse, here.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Well, to be fair, Jeanne Alter isn't even the dark side of Jeanne to begin with. She was spun wholesale out of cloth by Gilles using the Grail, since when he tried to summon an Alter version of the actual Jeanne, the Grail went 'Nope sorry, can't do that. She is literally a Saint so what you're asking me to do is literally impossible.', so instead Gilles made himself an Evil Clone that looks like Jeanne but has his beliefs.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Mysterious Heroine X Alter is, rather unusually, a Berserker, not an Assassin. I'm not particularly sure why, but it probably has something to do with her VA, Ayako Kawasumi, who has stated that she wants to voice an Artoria in every class so she can fill her Grand Order team with them.

Really, at this point, the only one missing from the regular classes is Caster.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
She is the most adorable and sweet Berserker. All she wants to do is read her books and have some sweets.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Sylphid posted:

Santa Alter: this version of Alter originated from FGO's Christmas 2015 event. Alter, in order to enhance her image a bit, decided to become the year's Santa Claus, the foremost ally of children. To this end, she began to go around delivering presents to all the Servants on her list. She's a Rider-class, since what does Santa use to deliver presents? Exactly.

Trivia time: If you guessed 'A Sleigh!' to the above question, then you are actually incorrect. According to the woman herself:

She rides YOU. 'Reindeer' is the nickname she gives you during the christmas event where she drags you around to various houses to deliver Christmas gifts.

Fittingly, Ushiwakamaru and Saint Martha both notice you being dragged around in a Reindeer costume and speculate that Saber Alter has weird hobbies, before deciding that 'That's just how Riders are'.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the events are hilarious - including David trying to bully Robin and Emiya to not throw him overboard, to which Robin smugly comments that he's an anti-King servant

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Discussion of maid alter isn't complete without her completely ridiculous animations

Walking on water isn't the only thing she can do...

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 26, 2018

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Artoria 3

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
We've finally come to nearly the end of the thread. The only substantial things remaining are the Dawn Arc bonus cutscenes, Archimedes' sidestory, and stages 6 and 7 of Golden Poem.

Golden Poem does have bond level cutscenes, like the other three arc, but 2 / 3 I haven't covered in the thread yet spoil the ending and that's not acceptable. Plus, I hate when you have a final storyline update, and then an *extra* one that doesn't feel very climactic. So what'll happen is the remainder of Dawn Arc is coming up next, then back to Archimedes, then an "interlude" update for Golden Poem that has links to the videos but I won't cover them in the thread, and then the final two stages of Golden Poem. Also, I should note that Archimedes' first stage spoils the final boss (though calling it a final boss is a bit much, I think. It's complicated), but that's unavoidable, since again, the final update should be the final part of the main story.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They mentioned in a Q&A that it was Shirou's cooking that awoke her gourmand spirit.

The new Fate cooking anime is really good by the way.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Vengarr posted:

They mentioned in a Q&A that it was Shirou's cooking that awoke her gourmand spirit.

The new Fate cooking anime is really good by the way.

It's really nice, and Lancer proves himself to be the best dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
We're due another episode in just a bit, aren't we? They seem to have been releasing on the first of each month. Did anyone ever hear how many episodes are expected in total?