Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
It's implied that Francis Drake is really Queen Elizabeth, pretending to be Francis Drake.

To any who care, Fate/Grand Order has been released in english on iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Andyzero posted:

It's implied that Francis Drake is really Queen Elizabeth, pretending to be Francis Drake.

To any who care, Fate/Grand Order has been released in english on iOS.

Yeah I was going to mention that. Francis Drake and Queen Elizabeth look similar in nasuverse, and when she suffered a facial scar, its suggested she asked Drake to switch places with her, so she 'became' Francis Drake.

Sylphid posted:

Sadly, there was an interview Nasu / Takeuchi did a while ago, and one of them mentioned Francis Drake *was* supposed to be in this game, but got cut along the way. More's the pity. In addition, apparently both Robin Hood and Florence Nightingale were also both planned to be in this game at some point, but again, cut for time or something.

And yes. Basically, Da Vinci is a great lover of art and the female form, so if he must be a Servant, he said he'd rather be something beautiful. I mean, I don't really mind the genderswaps at all. This entire series is basically some Japanese guy's take on a bunch of historical / mythological figures, and he's allowed some creative license. I admit, some of the genderswaps are better thought out, like Artoria, than others, but it's one of those things that doesn't really need to be justified. Canonically, this series' Iskandar loves playing video games, can shoot lightning out of his sword, and wearing really bulky t-shirts, so we've abandoned a lot of pretense of being a total reflection of the actual reflection of these folks in real life even in the characters who are not genderswaps.

Basically, as long as I find a character entertaining and I like them, Nasu and crew can do whatever the hell they want to all these figures. I'm not so married to the stories the Servants come from that I can't appreciate a fresh take on the character.

That's a shame, Francis Drake is probably my favorite Rider.
But I'm biased since I'm a fan of girls with scars, and Drake has a nice facial scar.

And to be fair to the Iskander thing, Servants get all the relevant modern knowledge when summoned, and as a Servant they're already super-human in the first place. Who wouldn't wanna sit around and play war games, if you were one of the greatest Generals in history?

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

krisslanza posted:

And to be fair to the Iskander thing, Servants get all the relevant modern knowledge when summoned

Marie Antoinette does this when exposed to slang in FGO. "Whassup my homies!?"

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sylphid posted:

The Umbral Star (Velber) is the "Planet" everyone's going on about. That currently is in some far-off galaxy, but Archimedes wants to invite it back to vaporize the Earth and kill everyone and everything.

Altera is a plant from the Umbral Star from long ago, when it attacked the Earth 14,000 years prior to this game. Her job is to bring down the Moon Cell's defenses to pave the way for Velber to return. The "Star Symbol" Archimedes and Nero were talking about were the white lines on Altera's body, indicating her extraterrestrial origin.

So Archimedes and Altera would nominally be on the same "side?" But Archimedes is in charge and Altera was just supposed to die fighting Nero anyway?

How does Altera being sent in 14,000 years ago work with her being Atilla the Hun? I guess that might be explained later though.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Seaogre posted:

So Archimedes and Altera would nominally be on the same "side?" But Archimedes is in charge and Altera was just supposed to die fighting Nero anyway?

How does Altera being sent in 14,000 years ago work with her being Atilla the Hun? I guess that might be explained later though.

Archimedes' and Altera's exact relationship is a pretty big spoiler, so yeah, I think I'll wait until the game goes into it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You know, I'm not all the way through the LP yet but I'd like to comment on how bizzare the opening arc is as a continuation of Fate/Extra

That game was unrelentingly grim and oppressive. Each chapter of the game's story was about introducing a character, letting you get to know their personalities. Their hopes and dreams.

Then you killed them, and the game made sure to make you feel worse and worse for each life you snuffed out on the way to the grand prize. The hub gradually becoming more and more empty as people were killed, the bizzare fake school setting, it was a surreal and screwed up story.

On the other hand this game starts with apparently a happy ending for Extra and the initial conflict is literally a love triangle between Nero and Tamano. With a pop idol dragon girl who's also a serial killer. :psyduck:

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 28, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

You know, I'm not all the way through the LP yet but I'd like to comment on how bizzare the opening arc is as a continuation of Fate/Extra

That game was unrelentingly grim and oppressive. Each chapter of the game's story was about introducing a character, letting you get to know their personalities. Their hopes and dreams.

Then you killed them, and the game made sure to make you feel worse and worse for each life you snuffed out on the way to the grand prize. The hub gradually becoming more and more empty as people were killed, the bizzare fake school setting, it was a surreal and screwed up story.

On the other hand this game starts with apparently a happy ending for Extra and the initial conflict is literally a love triangle between Nero and Tamano. With a pop idol dragon girl who's also a serial killer. :psyduck:

To be fair, a Servant doesn't really care about all that death (usually). Their job is to make the Master win/survive.
And at the outset of the game, your Master has been basically divided into three different parts, with some pretty fragmented personality as a result.

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah and some servants care even less about killing than others. Like Caster is straight up someone who has killed hundred of thousands of people. So in most Servants case it goes master, own morals, Master morals then society morals

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Dark Eli Angolmois isn't exactly a serial killer - since she's a Lancer, this version of her is from before she started murdering people, making her merely a bratty 14 year old. Who is, admittedly, going to grow up to become a serial killer, but all the information on that suggests it's not something she really cares to think about.

Plus, her grown-up version is an Assassin-class Servant and uses the name 'Carmilla' instead of 'Elizabeth Bathory', so by Nasuverse logic they're practically different people, especially since the two of them hate each other and view the other as their number one enemy that has to be destroyed.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

Dr Pepper posted:

Along with what other posters said about Servants only caring about keeping their master safe, part of the problem is that Extella is also a follow-up to Fate Extra/CCC, the sequel to Extra, which was never officially translated into English, and which introduced Elizabeth. From what I've heard, Nasu was initially not involved in writing Extra at all and was only brought in at a very late stage because the creators didn't like the way the plot was going. He managed to do some rewrites, but wasn't able to significantly overhaul the plot before the game had to ship and he mentioned that there was a lot of things he wanted to change that had to be cut for time (for example, Hakuno was supposed to become enlightened a la Buddha at the end of the game). CCC was all Nasu right from the start and it's light years better than Extra in terms of both plot and character.

CCC could get dark at times, but overall was a lot funnier and made Extra less soul-crushingly depressing because of the way it looped back into Extra's plot, added actual happy endings, well, except for Archer's and really expanded on some of Extra's characters like Shinji and Gatou. Though Extella is supposed to be based off a "Extra/Zero" alternate version of Extra's plot, which Nasu detailed in a post on his blog (and I'm going to say here that I really really hope it's not going to be used as the plot for the "Last Encore" anime like some people have theorized because there's a lot about Extra/Zero's plot that can gently caress right off)

This blog https://tsukinoura.wordpress.com/ is an unofficial translation of the entire Gilgamesh/Female Hakuno route in CCC if you want to see what you're missing; IMO, CCC is worth reading just to see how Nasu really fleshed out and expanded on Gilgamesh's character alone.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Liffrea posted:

Here be interesting stuff

Those are some really cool background details I had no idea about.

I would also like to add that Nasu also fleshes out Gilgamesh's character a lot in the Babylonia chapter of Grand Order. It's kind of weird that the guy's initial appearance, way back in FSN, you can't really use that as your final impression of the character, because he basically spends all of stay night as a genocidal lunatic. But it does make sense. We only have his word to go on that the Grail mud from zero didn't affect him at all, when he has a markedly different personality when he hasn't been drenched in the goo, which is everywhere else he's shown up thus far.

While he didn't radically change personality or get some jet black clothing a la Artoria or something, he most certainly is not some nutcase who wants to kill everyone just because they don't live up to his insane standards.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Dark Eli Angolmois isn't exactly a serial killer - since she's a Lancer, this version of her is from before she started murdering people, making her merely a bratty 14 year old. Who is, admittedly, going to grow up to become a serial killer, but all the information on that suggests it's not something she really cares to think about.

Plus, her grown-up version is an Assassin-class Servant and uses the name 'Carmilla' instead of 'Elizabeth Bathory', so by Nasuverse logic they're practically different people, especially since the two of them hate each other and view the other as their number one enemy that has to be destroyed.

Servants can have multiple 'forms', depending on the particular aspect you want. For example, Hercules. You could technically summon him as his actual demigod/god self... but not in Fuyuki, as the Grail rules won't allow it. The aspect summoned up in Fuyuki is just the (more) mortal version, as he's still questing. Two Servants could technically be the same person, but be radically different depending on which version you're summoning.

Sylphid posted:

I would also like to add that Nasu also fleshes out Gilgamesh's character a lot in the Babylonia chapter of Grand Order. It's kind of weird that the guy's initial appearance, way back in FSN, you can't really use that as your final impression of the character, because he basically spends all of stay night as a genocidal lunatic. But it does make sense. We only have his word to go on that the Grail mud from zero didn't affect him at all, when he has a markedly different personality when he hasn't been drenched in the goo, which is everywhere else he's shown up thus far.

While he didn't radically change personality or get some jet black clothing a la Artoria or something, he most certainly is not some nutcase who wants to kill everyone just because they don't live up to his insane standards.

True, normal Gilgamesh is just kind of a jerk. He's only a genocidal lunatic, because dark chocolate is really irresistible.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Seaogre posted:

Pretty much all of your questions are expected at this point in the story, including being confused about things that feel like they might have been explained, like Planet/Star/Velber. Hold tight.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Then you killed them, and the game made sure to make you feel worse and worse for each life you snuffed out on the way to the grand prize.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the mid-game masters a literal cannibal clown?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

krisslanza posted:

Servants can have multiple 'forms', depending on the particular aspect you want. For example, Hercules. You could technically summon him as his actual demigod/god self... but not in Fuyuki, as the Grail rules won't allow it. The aspect summoned up in Fuyuki is just the (more) mortal version, as he's still questing. Two Servants could technically be the same person, but be radically different depending on which version you're summoning.

Don't forget Alcides, Hercules' human, Archer version.

warhammer651 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the mid-game masters a literal cannibal clown?

You are not wrong. That's the one fight in the game I cheated the gently caress out of because like hell I was gonna let Lil' Ronnie so much as scratch Tamamo.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
When it comes to Heracles, as FSN mentioned, is that he can be summoned under every class except Caster. Heracles as Zerker is really strong, but kind of a one-trick pony once you know his NP is God Hand.

Artoria is *kind* of the same way, but several of the classes she's been summoned under in Grand Order are jokes (Archer, Rider, Assassin, Berserker), but as a Saber or Lancer she's pretty much at the top of the hill, with some weaknesses. Lancer in particular she's ridiculous, because Rhongo can fire death beams to vaporize large tracts of land, basically effortlessly.

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah Heracles is strong/broken as Zerker but the class most compatible with him is apparently archer. Also if him, Artoria and Cú Chulainn were summoned in Europe they would be equal despite them getting a bigger home field boost.

Artoria is an odd case of a servant in that most versions of her summoned don't get their most powerful noble phantasm. The scabbard Avalon

Basically what happens is you stuff as much of the power of the Heroric sprit as you can into the container that is the servant classes and they get what suits them from it. Though the closer to their home and the more remembered they are in a country does alter how much power can fit into the container

GOI fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 1, 2017

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Titan

Now where were we... Archimedes a traitor, Altera transformed, world-destroying titan awakened... Think that about catches us up.

Flame Poem final stage

Altera! If you can hear me, speak!

She is beyond reach... And that body is only a weapon... Argh, just what is the meaning of this?! What is a Sephyr?! I have never heard of such a thing! Is she Attila?! Is she not?! Which Attila is she? The one from her first life? The one who faced us?

...I wish I could tell her. There's still so much we don't know, especially about Altera. All we do know right now is what's in front of us. ...In all its massive glory. Her roar is tearing everything apart. Compared to this, her army is nothing. She could shred entire territories at will. She's not even bothering with us anymore. She's just destroying everything she sees. She sweeps with her arm, and everything breaks. She sends out her light, and everything burns. As long as she exists, nothing else can.

Praetor, look! On her shoulder... The third Praetor...

...I see the third Hakuno Kishinami standing on her shoulder, in the midst of her fury and destruction. Destruction... Is that really all she has? The scene around her certainly suggests it. I'd expected she'd have broken or consumed the third me by now. Then again, it looks like she still might. Her version of me is drawn to her destructive spirit. But as sure I as I see that, I know that not matter what "I" might feel for her, nothing, not even love, is going to snap her out of it. She'll destroy that love. It's what she does.

Praetor!

I feel a wave. The other me gives a long, horrible croaking sound. I hear it over all the rest of the noise. I've already experienced something similar. I almost thought I was used to it. But here it is again. And now I know the reason for it. The third me, the Body, is breaking down in Altera's presence. Someone said that the Body is an empty shell, a case to hold the Mind and Soul. But even the Body has a personality attached to it. It senses and grows and remembers. The destruction reverberates toward me, into me, and my Mind begins to shake...

Praetor...! I'm right here. Can you hear me...?! You fool! Altera, you...! You promised not to harm your Praetor! Don't you see what you're doing? If you don't stop now, you'll...! Altera! Stop, or I will MAKE you stop!

...I don't say anything. This is her decision. It's up to her if she wants to fight. Or retreat. That last battle drained us both. Is she up for another one now? From a rational standpoint, we're at a deep disadvantage. Would it even be possible to win in our state? I don't answer that, and I don't repeat it to Saber. ...But I do make my own decision. I know what I won't do. I won't give up. Saber didn't give up when she faced Altera's light, and neither will I.

..."Passion and love". You would say such things of me? After all this time, who could have imagined that Nero Claudius could still know of love? Then I most certainly cannot lose. For who else, in any conceivable future, would ever look upon me as you do? Even if I live another 14,000 years, I will never meet another like you. I shall treasure and protect you even more than the world itself. And so, there can be no retreat! Take my hand, Praetor! Let us burn our way through despair and return in triumph!

Unfortunately for you, I much prefer Venus! Allow me to show you why! Defend yourself, Altera the Titan! This will be our final battle!

Ah, this takes me back...

Well now, this is the true final battle of Flame Poem. First off, press R3 and never let go (you don't have to hold down the button, thank god). You will always want to keep your eyes on Sephyr. As you might expect, she'll primarily use her hands to do damage to you. Also as you might expect, she has quite a few attacks.

Also of note is the arena is circular, quite wide, and filled to the brim with low-level goons. They should only be there to build up your Moon Crux gauge. You'll see why soon enough.

Her most basic attack is simple. She'll lean back, roar, then sort of collapse, allowing one of her arms to hit the field. Do you see that cube with the life bar? That's your target. Your objective is to take that out, then we can start doing some direct damage.

When she (can you even use the feminine pronoun with this thing? Hm) roars back like that, she'll bring down her right arm and slam it a few times. Obviously will do major damage if you're in the blast radius, so just quickly dash out of the way, then quickly dash back to start doing damage. Whenever she does an attack, she'll leave one of her hands exposed.

Oh, and I don't believe any of Sephyr's attacks are blockable. If you try, and I'm pretty sure the hits will just go right through and damage you anyway.

Now, Extella Maneuvers will do heavy damage, but be careful where you aim. If you hit one of the goons by mistake and start an EM against them, it will do *very* little damage against the cube. You're better off just letting go of the attack and trying again.

This is easily one of her most dangerous attacks. Following a quick charge-up, she'll do a massively powerful sweep of about half the arena with a laser that does a hell of a lot of damage. How you dodge this depends on where you were when she started it up. The game doesn't much care *what* part of this attack hits you. Does the same amount of damage either way.

If you're feeling spicy, you can quickly dodge underneath the hand she's using and it'll effortlessly pass over you. This is *pretty* dangerous, though. If you're not liking your odds, or you noticed too late, dash in the opposite direction, then jump over her hand when it's level. You could try to outrun it, but keep in mind it is pretty drat fast, even when you're dashing. I'd say jumping is your best bet, either towards or away from it.

Keep in mind, even when she's collapsing from either your attacks or one of her attack animations ending and her hand is coming down, if you're too close, the hand will hurt you on the way down.

No damage. But you know what the Regalia was designed to do? Kick Velber's rear end, and the rear end of all of Velber's pals. Let's show her what it's really made of.

Once a certain amount of time passes, she'll recover and you'll back into the loop. You should be to chip off ~20% of her HP every time she becomes vulnerable.

I was pretty lucky here. My Moon Crux lasted long enough to not only do some damage to her core, but also destroy the cube in her hand a second time.

She'll also drop a Phantasm Circuit once you've done a certain amount of damage. Let's just keep this up.

Once she's down to half health...

If you're watching super closely, you can see Nero actually dodge out of the way of this hit. Watching the video back to write this update, this is the first I've noticed that happen.

So yeah, welcome to the second half of the fight, now with 50% less floor space. Sephyr will add on several new attacks, all of which are extremely powerful. This is the first one she'll do: she'll roar, throw up pillars of light from her mouth, and cause several magical circles to pop up. These circles will fire out a blast of energy, which does a ton of damage, and there's a lot of them. Now, these blasts last for a few seconds, and if you accidentally dash or run into one that's active, you'll take that damage.

My advice? Run, don't dash. As long as you keep moving, and don't retread your steps, you've got nothing to worry about. Don't get careless now.

Get ready when she brings her hands above her hands and slams them down.

1-3 shockwaves of energy will follow. Of course, jumping over them is a simple matter. Just don't stay in the air too long, as you might come down in time for the next one to come along and get you.

Massive ball of energy coming from a Titan's hands? Bad news, there. When she fires this off, a wave of black icicles will rush at you, and you can't block this. Only in a limited area, so just get the hell out of there.

There you go.

Just a little more...

drat. She only has like a shred of HP left.

It's over.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 3, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
Sephyr was a fun fight. This is actually as far as I got... I never did get around to finishing a second route because I don't like Tammy and can't stand her route :v:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
How singularly foolish of me. Forgot to actually link this update's video. This foolishness has been corrected, however.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

Sylphid posted:

Late reply, but word of Nasu is that yeah, the black grail didn't corrupt Gilgamesh at the end of Zero: it just gave him a physical body, because Gilgamesh is inherently uncorruptible due to his galaxy-sized ego. However, if Gilgamesh incarnates physically into an era, his personality will be influenced by the human society of that era even though he's only 1/3 human (don't ask me how that squares with "he can't be corrupted due to ego" because I'm still trying to figure that out myself), and apparently late 90s/early 2000s era humanity was just so lovely that Gil turned into an even more massive rear end in a top hat than usual and went genocidal out of sheer disgust.

CCC Gil is actually supposed to be the closest, personality-wise, to the original Uruk Gilgamesh because he's on the moon and away from humanity, so while he can be an absolute dick to Hakuno, he softens up a lot towards her during the middle/end of the game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I feel like Gil would have been more chill if someone let him play some Pokemon. Worked wonders for me at that time.

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
Gil personality is basically formed by him comparing the world to Babylon and the closer it is the nicer he becomes as seeing his garden has prospered. He actually like the Fate/ Extra world unlike our 1900/ early 2000 causes him to want to kill of the majority of humanity and have the essence of humanity strengthen the survivors

It's because he basically judges the entire world when summoned which decides how nice he will be has mankind caused his garden to prosper, stagnate or decline . So it cause he makes the choice of this is how much I like this era so I be this nice. It's why he can't be changed by outside forces but Himself and his greater treasures yes they can change him

Also tama is scary strong with lots of tails if I did the math right

GOI fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 5, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A pc version of this game is coming out soon if anyone wants to follow along.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Hollow

Empty victory

...Time seems to stand still. Saber's final strike reaches the titan Altera's chest. ...Strange as it might be, I can only see the beauty in that moment. A woman in red piercing a goddess in white. This is no simple duel. It's the reenactment of a great myth. A titan's rampage haled by human courage. A giant falls, and a human rises. An image from a forgotten miracle 14,000 years old. The shine of it all is breathtaking. There is no malice in her strike, no hatred. Only bravery and resolve. My heart swells with pride and love. ...But at that same moment, my heart feels a twisting ache too. Pain. Suffering. Sorrow. Resignation. Not my own, but the other Hakunon's. Proud as I am of Saber, I also pity Altera. But the blow has been struck. It's over.

...My...Ma...ster... Even...until...the...very end...Thank...you...

The giant goddess crumbles. Its digital body, made to walk upon SE.RA.PH, is lost, as are its mind and soul. With its mana gone, it falls away in a rain of inorganic wreckage. What had moments ago been a mighty titan scatters into piles of debris. There...I see something. A face I know all too well. My own. The third Hakunon is standing there in the midst of the raining rubble, knowing full well what it's seeing.

"...You couldn't bring out your true power, Altera...so I'll do what I need to do..."

I heard a voice in the storm, a voice only the two of them were meant to share. She looks up at her Servant's face as it cracks...

A torrent of ruin comes crashing down toward the other me. I stretch out my hand, but I can't reach her. I try to shout, but she can't hear. She's too far away. The debris is too loud. It's too late.

Praetor!

Even Saber can't far enough. In a moment of clarity, I understand that nothing can be done. Hakunon, Altera's master, has lived a life I know nothing about. She lets the debris wash over her and take her away. It's her decision. And I understand.

...So, this is what Saber has wrought. The Regalia's third bearer is gone. And the Mind of Hakunon still stands. As the Master of the reigning Servant, the power of the Regalia truly belongs to you. Though here you are without a Body. That might shorten your reign a bit, to say the least. Of course, we've both suffered loss today, and here I am without my Sentinel. She would have been Velber's guiding light, calling him here to this solar system. Ah, I had known from the start that this wouldn't be easy, but... Even for me, this is frustrating. Well, back to the drawing board, then.

Archimedes, you... You...! I condemn you forever! Altera was a proud warrior! She wanted to fight, not to ravage! But... But you...

Oh, please. I watched you fight to the finish just now, twice. You have nothing left, and we both know it. You survived Altera's Noble Phantasm, and for that I commend you, but you had to expend all the Royal Authority you had. Say all you will about passion and love, but your fire is down to its last little ember. I have no need to snuff it out. Although I could. Which would end your Master's life as well. Shall I?

Urgh...!

...I know you wish things were different. I feel the same. I have the most terrible headache. With Sephyr gone, Velber is lost in the cosmos. Not forever, of course. It will simply have to feed elsewhere.

What...? Then the Umbral Star is already...?

Yes, the Moon Cell's gamble seems to have paid off, to the surprise of one and all.

You would run from me now, Archimedes?!

Run from you? Your arrogance is unbecoming, Saber. I show you mercy this day. I am simply returning home. I have no reason to remain "here". In a safe zone within the Zero Dark, a Quantum Timelock will soon take place. I must move on to my next assignment before then. Hakunon, you may have fought well, but you made the wrong decision. I expect the consequences will come to you shortly. As for me, my time in this world is done for now. And though my task remains unfulfilled...the end of the Regalia and the fall of the Moon Cell are both soon to come.

Wait!

I told you, you have nothing left. I'll be sliding with or without your consent, thank you.

Sliding? What...

Doubtful that's the last we see of this guy...

Archimedes disappears, leaving us with doubt and questions. We're safe now, but Saber is trembling with rage. Not only because he escaped, but because...we've hit our limit. How do I express this feeling? A hole deep within my chest? A lightness in my head? No, it's not quite either of those. How can I explain what it feels like when your body is missing? I can see that I have appendages, but it feels as if I don't. This shell around me is still here, but it feels as if I've drifted away. I'm here, and yet I don't exist. It's like being a shadow. I'm slipping away now, all of me. I'm ware of the pain, unbearable pain, and yet I can't quite feel it. I know what to call this feeling now... What it's closest to is...loss.

Praetor...Praetor?!

So cold... No, I forbid this, Praetor! You may NOT close your eyes! You still have your Mind! You shouldn't have to... And I have the only Regalia. I have all the power now! It's not over! Please don't give up!

She's right. Everything will be okay, as long as she's near me... But... Archimedes may have been right about what happens when the Body disappears. Maybe there are laws of this world even higher than hers. I don't want to give up, but... My eyes are so heavy...if they even exist...Saber. Saber. Don't worry. You won't be alone. I just need...a little...rest...

Praetor...? Do not leave me...!

It's okay...Don't...wo...rry...

Extella Credits

This same credits plays over all but one of the endings, so this is the only time I'll post it.

Embers -Flame Poem Ending-

...Praetor. Are you awake?

The Royal Authority has been restored. I am the true King of SE.RA.PH, revered by all. Is that not cause for song and celebration? ...Yes, all acknowledge me now. And by my Royal Authority...your Mind remains your own. Your Soul is still at large, but it has bonded with you, invisibly and unbreakably. And we were able to restore your Body. Rejoice!

A voice...I can hear a voice. Clear and resonsant as a golden bell. The unforgettable voice of a balletic swordswoman...and a gracious, loving ruler.

...An entirely new Body, just for you. You are safe now. You can open your eyes, my Praetor. Please, stand up, that I might look upon your smiling face. You can take your time, though I know you'd never keep a lady waiting. How long do you expect to be? Ten seconds? Ten minutes? ...Can you hear me, Praetor? My beloved, my only... It's all right. Rest all you want. Wake up whenever you want. And someday, if the Umbral Star ever arrives... I will strike it down for you, Praetor. ...I will fight for you forever.

She's right. We belong on the battlefield, side by side. I should open my eyes. She deserves a smile. "Sorry to keep you waiting", I should tell her. "How long did I sleep this time?" Just for a day, I hope. Anything longer, and she might want to punish me. A week? A moth? Any more than that, and I'll never be able to apologize. I've left her alone all this time, or at least made her feel that way. What can I do to help her forgive me?

...Praetor. Your timing is...acceptable. In fact, I feel especially generous today, so I hereby pardon you for everything. ...So...

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
this is on the PC soon is that on steam or what and please tell me it's in English in the uk.

Also I hope their is no long term issues for the mind now

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
Nero's ending made me sad. Especially because it could be less sad if a certain someone wasn't such a jerk.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Intermission

Now that Flame Poem has been taken care of, for the most part, I'd like to take a little bit of a break and go over some of the extras for this game, that are outside of the main storyline. Don't worry, this won't take very long.

Our first major feature, which was unlocked after Flame Poem stage 2, is the Servant Side-Stories. The premise is simple.

You take control of any playable Servant you want, and you play a short little story that stars them, in an alternate universe not related to the main story. Well, that's not *strictly* true. There is one definitely, and another kinda, that are related to the main plot. However, all but one of them at least have some context to them that relates to the plotline, if that makes sense.

Now, while Nero, Tamamo, and Altera are the main stars of this game, they are a good deal in the background in these chapters. Which is good, as it'll give me a chance to talk a lot about the Servants on their own. And trust me, I've got a lot to say about the Servant cast of this game. I'll discuss the Servant's actual history (i.e. their mythos or in-series lore), their place in the Fate franchise as a whole, and any other neat tidbits I feel like bringing up. It'll be a jolly old time.

However, there is a catch. The game does lock Servant's stories behind story progress, even ones you've unlocked. For example, we can play all of Cu Chulainn's story right now, but Nameless? We can play his first two chapters, I believe, but his third is locked until after you've nearly completed the entire main storyline, for some reason.

So how am I gonna play this? Well, given all these factors, I've decided it's most prudent to wait until I've completed the first three arcs of this game's story (it has four), then do the side-stories. "But wait" you may ask. "Didn't you just say Nameless' story only fully unlocks after finishing the whole game?" You'd be correct. See, before I started this LP, I backed up my previous Extella save onto the wonderful PSN Cloud, so whenever I feel like retrieving it, I can.

So what I'll do is, I'll LP Tamamo and Altera's arcs, then delete my current save, then re-upload my old save back into this game, so I can knock out all the Servant side-stories at once, THEN move onto the final arc. That way I can play everyone's story on Very Hard, as well, without grinding like a chump for hours to make that remotely fun. But for now, that's what the Side-Stories are.

Next stop on this tour is Free Battle. This is a lot more simple.

Free Battle is how you can grind levels or whatever without any semblance of interference from the plot or whatever. It's very simple. Just choose the Servant you want to play as...

Choose the enemy you want to fight...

Then choose the "context" of the stage. See, there are many circumstances in which Altera would be the final boss of a stage, for example. Here, I'm simply putting Cu Chulainn into the context of the second-to-last stage of Flame Poem. All the Sector Traps, all the enemies, and all the allies are the same as Flame Poem Stage 5.

See? We've got Iskandar, Jeanne, Gilgamesh, and Gawain all in their same positions. Just choose your settings on the left, check your Side Missions, and away you go. You can also use this mode to get better grades, if you say, don't like using Nero as much as Gawain or something.

When it comes to Side Missions, you can choose any Side Mission from any character that's been unlocked, I believe. So, if you were say, fighting Elizabeth in a stage, and you've unlocked Elizabeth as a playable character (won't happen until the story's end), you can choose her side mission, and can complete it while fighting her.

Here, we have the Gallery. The first option, you can view more detailed information about any Servant you've unlocked the biography for, as well as model viewers for everyone and any alternate costumes you may have for them. Event allows you to play any scene you've seen again, and any unseen ones are locked, as you might expect.

Now, there are some events for Flame Poem I didn't see, either because I didn't meet the requirements (like, for example, failing the first stage and going back to My Room will get you a short little scene), or Nero's bond level wasn't high enough. When I upload my old save, I'll record all the extra scenes and post them as an epilogue update. Sound good? Oh, and remember that event where Hakunon could choose to listen to Nero sing, and I'd tell you if Sakura Tenge actually did? Yeah, she does not, unfortunately. I mean, Hakunon describes her singing, but you can't hear it, more's the pity.

Music allows you to play any song you've heard. About all there is to say about that.

Encyclopedia is a one-stop shop for any terminology you might not be familiar with. You'll get random Encyclopedia entries when loading screens pop-up, but most stuff should be pretty evident just by playing the game and listening to the dialogue. Any others that need explaining, I can do so myself or ask other people who would know.

Code Cast simply lists all the Code Casts you've crafted. There's no real point to getting 100% of the Code Casts (I mean, nothing cool gets unlocked or anything), and frankly, getting all of them is hellaciously dull, because you have to grind *every* Servant's bond level to level 30 to do so, not to mention all the other stuff that needs to be done, such as playing a certain stage on a certain difficulty to get just one, etc. Nothing more needs to be said, so nothing more shall on this matter.

Install Skills is basically the same thing, except for, you guessed it, Install Skills. Unlike the Code Casts, though, you'll almost certainly unlock all of these through natural play, just given the sheer number of Install Skills that'll drop. Again, not really worth further mention.

One down, three to go, and that's not counting the Side-Stories. Strap in, because there's a LOT more extella to go.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 11, 2018

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Alright, we made it through Nero's story, now it's time to do the best arc, focused on the best Servant.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
I've been keeping quiet during Nero's arc since there hasn't been much to say, but I'm super excited to see Tamamo. She was the most fun and interesting in Extra, and from what I hear that's true in Extella as well.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Twib posted:

I've been keeping quiet during Nero's arc since there hasn't been much to say, but I'm super excited to see Tamamo. She was the most fun and interesting in Extra, and from what I hear that's true in Extella as well.

I'd personally say she gets an even better showing in Extella than Extra; I found that her actual interactions with Hakuno during Extra could be a bit one-note despite an interesting backstory, while in Extella she displays more complexity.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Queen

Another side

My Husband!

...On and on it went. I've just awoken from a massive, terrible nightmare, with a strange feeling that I was viewing it from the outside. But it felt real. Could what I saw have actually happened? I didn't recognize any of it. Still, I can't write it off as a dream. I mean, "anything's possible as long as you're alive," right?

...?

Oh hey. It's our old pal, as a...maid? Yes, Elizabeth is a vampire idol dragon maid.

As I wake up on a soft futon, I exchange looks with the girl cleaning the room in front of me. She's...

I mean, it is.

N-No, you can't fool the demonic maiden of fresh blood with cheap words like that... Be cool Liz, be cool... *ahem* G-Good morning. How are you feeling? What a pathetic little wakeup that was, you...third-rate Master. But thanks anyway, little squirrel!

I respond with a "You're welcome". ...Now then, I don't recognize this room at all. Where am I again?

Y-You sure are playing it cool... Like, "sexy" cool, almost... Maybe because you're just a... Listen, are you sure you're okay? You were out a long time. Does your head hurt? ...I mean, not that I care or anything. You need to go. This whole palace is screwed. That thing owns the place now. Yeah, I know - you just woke up, you don't know what's going on. Just go!

She's anxious for some reason. It's weird and confusing. Why should I leave when there's this soft, comfy bed right here? But she's being extremely insistent. She must have a good reason. ...Seriously, where am I? Well, at least I know who I am. My name is Hakunon. I'm the Master of...someone, and I think I won something called the Holy Grail War. But this place...

...It's a city of flowers. For just a moment, I recall the profile of a single Servant. ...Her hair was brightly colored. Her eyes were golden. Right, she was...

Hey, no zoning out! I said to clear out of here, now! But...where would I even take you...? Saber's territory is too far... Should I just drag you out into the countryside? Be cool. Be cool, Liz. Just keep the little squirrel safe and get away from her...

"Her" who? Get away? Why?

*gasp*

Hmm... A little sooner than I thought, but not to worry. No, nothing to worry about at all. ★ Good morning, darling. ♪ Are you enjoying the view from the top of the castle?

(Uh... Ugh... The jig is up... It's too late...!)

Now then...maid, make yourself useful. Lead my Husband to the throne at once!

...*sigh* Yeah, yeah. I get it. I just have to lead the Master there, right? Fine, I'll be a good little maid. Guess your luck ran out, little piggy. That was the only chance to get you out of here. No more hope for that.

Elizabeth is acting strange. There's no need to run. Even if I can't see her, I know exactly whose voice that is. A feminine voice, full of charm and fun. The voice that cheers me on and always stands by me. It's none other than...

The Fox Throne

...Ohoho. So nice of you to join us, human. You are as brave as you are foolish. And now you will pay the price for your audacity. You are but a speck of trash. Your very life is dust in the wind, to be blown away at my notoriously volatile whim. Are you truly the Moon Cell's great conqueror, then? I expected you'd at least make a fine meal. But you? You're barely an appetizer.

The woman reclines on a throne that's unmistakably a bed. She gives the room a feeling of languid decadence, as if she should be smoking a pipe with her hand to her forehead. But all that aside...

Hey, fox games. Fox games are fun. I sure hope this is one of those.

Ah, I may be a fox, but this is no game, you... Oh, come on! At least PRETEND to be scared! My darling... You're finally up. You don't know how long you've kept me waiting. ★ I hope you're good and rested. ♡ "Ye who are near, behold and wonder. And ye who afar, hear and tremble..."

Now, without further ado, take a look and see! This place is my Millennium Capital. No, our Millennium Capital!

Caster proudly shows me the palace of her capital city. It looks very majestic, from what I can see so far. But she's the most important thing to me. There's no way I would mistake her for anyone else. No way I would ever forget her. She's the one who lent me her power, even when I was just a weak novice Wizard. She's my Servant, a Heroic Spirit who practices magecraft.

How was your dream, dear? Was it terrifying? Was it dastardly? Well, not to worry. ★ Now that you're awake, I'll make sure all those nasty feelings just float right away. That's what this entire capital is for. Well, that, and to house my reign's undying glory, all in your honor. ♪ Oh, and just to prove it... Maid! Please tell everyone just who I am.

...Hmph. People know you when they see you. You don't need me to butter you up.

Excuse me? Hmm, whatever will I do? Maybe a little shock will put you in to place. Do you want to try that again?

The one and only Queen of SE.RA.PH. A Caster class Servant, her true name is Tamamo no Mae. There, that good for you?

Queen of SE.RA.PH... Wielder of the Regalia... Hm. That's all news to me, but I do get the message. "Anything's possible as long as you're alive", so sure, she could be the Queen.

That was wonderful. ♪ But you did leave one thing out. You know what I mean, Husband. Despite everything just heard about Queens and rulers, I'm still your very devoted Servant. Your wife, and you very own Caster. That's the truth, and it always will be! So! All hail Lord Hakunon. And me, I'm the loyal, loving Queen. Nothing more, nothing less.

Before we go much further, I should point out that, regardless of Hakuno's gender, Tamamo always uses male language to refer to Hakuno. That is, she'll always address Hakuno as if they were a man, even if, as we see, they are clearly not. This is because Tamamo fashions herelf as the perfect wife, and given the lack of same-sex marriage options in medieval Japan, here we are. Oh, and "My Husband" is one of Tamamo's very things, so get used to her saying it a metric ton of times. Much like Nero does with "Praetor" I suppose.

I have heard that she does comment on this contradiction in her dialogue in EXTRA, if you choose a female protagonist, where she basically says she's not familiar per se with same-sex relationships, but she doesn't mind it, if it's Hakunon. She makes no such allowances in this game, at least explicitly, but hey, whatever. Male Hakuno is part of a timeline I am not on, and will never be on. Nevertheless, this is what she does, so we'll just roll with it.

Now then, the choice. *Obviously* we're going with #3. Sheesh. There's always time to discuss love stuff, and this choice gets a cute reaction.

Whaaaa?! Is our marriage on the rocks already? No, you're just teasing me, aren't you, sleepyhead? Fine, let me explain it AGAIN... During the War, when we prepared to descend into the Moon Cell core, we exchanged our feelings in...well, various ways, and... When it all cleared up, we had a real relationship. ♪ I mean, we exchanged vows to be the greatest partners ever! Now, this part is very serious. This will be on the Advanced SE.RA.PH Management Test, so make sure you remember. Yes? You DO remember it all now, don't you, darling?

Another one of Tamamo's things is her shocked exclamation, which sounds like "MIkon~!", which is extraordinarly cute, so I'm glad she does it a lot.

*nod*

Yeah. She may have a bit of a dark streak, but Caster's still elegant, lovable, and boisterous. She's always been like that, and I hope she stays that way. So the one in question here is me. I'm awake now. I think, but it still feels like a dream. When I move, it's like I'm walking on air. When I think, it's like my thoughts are floating away. I try to concentrate and gather my thoughts as much as I can. There's no doubt I fought alongside her. The Holy Grail War. The Moon Cell. SE.RA.PH. We were comrades in arms, and we overcame man powerful enemies. ...This castle. This throne. The present, in other words - that's where everything gets cloudy.

Hm, so it seems we're in a timeline where, it was not Nero who won the Holy Grail War, but Tamamo. Interesting...

*scene transition*

Tamamo Army

So you're still waking up. You were asleep for a good long while. I'm sure you'll feel better soon. *ahem* It's all very simple. We won the Holy Grail War, and reached the "Room" inside of the Moon Cell core. There, you were named the King of SE.RA.PH. ★ And I was chosen, as your one and only Servant, to stand by your side as Queen. And...

Well, it was a wonderful performance. You held most of SE.RA.PH in the palm of your hand. And thus, our Empire of the Millennium Capital was born. The Great Empire, one might call it, large as it is.

...Archimedes. Ah, right. Him I know. SE.RA.PH's system administrator. A special Servant chosen by SE.RA.PH. I met him when we traveled to the Moon Cell core to register for the Royal Authority after the Holy Grail War. He was working as the registration assistant. I walked with him a ways, and then some kind of...aberration appeared...

You, who wield the Regalia and the Royal Authority of the Moon Cell, are suited to rule over all of SE.RA.PH. And so, my King and Queen, I pledge to follow you.

Oh boy, it's Archimedes again. Well, even though I haven't screenshotted it, you can assume he still has the strange Umbral Star markings on his left shoulder blade and hand, as you would be correct about that.

You know, when he was pledging loyalty to Nero and Hakunon during the Flame Poem arc, he was buttering her up entirely, backing the strongest faction and hoping Nero would be victorious, so he could swoop in at the last moment and play his hand to accomplish his objectives. Some things don't change, eh?

Another thing that doesn't change about guys like Archimedes is Nasu *loves* to make Casters villains in his works, or at least works he has supervisory control over. Casters have been major villains in Fate/stay night, Fate/zero, this game, and, most recently, in Fate/Grand Order. But, it does make sense, when you think about it. Saber mentions in FSN that not every fight has to be won with a lance or a sword. Casters are the weakest class in terms of fighting ability, so if you can't win a normal fight, you have to change the rules. The most powerful Casters have the ability to do that, which makes them one of the most dangerous classes in practice.

Another thing Nasu likes to do with his villains is he doesn't like them lying about stuff. Archimedes mentioned it during his big reveal scene last time, but he never technically lied. Much the same could be said of other Nasu villains, who, even if they don't tell the whole truth, only very very rarely actually say things that aren't true and the viewer / reader knows they're not true.

Heroic Spirit Archimedes. We appreciate your loyalty. You returned the sleeping King to his castle. You've done great things for us since then, as well. But...

Tamamo has a lot of really great portraits.

Ah, please forgive my impertinence, Your Majesty, but as the system admin, I cannot ignore a threat to SE.RA.PH.

...That's right. SE.RA.PH IS in danger! During the registration, some kind of horrible titan appeared. THAT'S what happened. A giant creature attacked Tamamo and I, and it held me captive. I escaped. Somehow. Barely. And I got hurt in the process. That must be how I lost consciousness.

Anomalies are now spreading throughout SE.RA.PH. That creature that attacked the King and I is not the only threat. These anomalies must be investigated and resolved immediately, and who better than Your Majesties to perform the task?

Sheesh... How dare you presume to tell us what we must do? I understand that it's your job, but still. *ahem* Let's be clear about this, Archie. Our Empire may be young, but we have a certain way of doing things. First on our to-do list, we'll completely obliterate all those Servants who had the nerve to refuse to bend the knee. And speaking of nerve, how about that Emperor? Her "forces" are all worthless pawns. None of them can touch the Millennium Capital. So excuse us if we have some insects to crush and lands to conquer. SE.RA.PH can take care of itself until we finish with that.

"Archie" for Archimedes. I like, I like.

So Caster's first priority is expanding her territory. She seems angry about it. Maybe she doesn't like it when other people are outside of her control.

Master. You understand where I'm coming from, don't you? ★ Once we root out all those nasty enemies and crush them back into the dirt, all those little doubts of yours will float right away. That's what's most important. Peace and quiet for my Husband. There's no greater thing in the world. ♪

...Hmm. Her tone is pleasant enough, but I can see the fangs in her smile. This place still feels new to me, and there are things about it I don't understand. With that in mind, I...

Well, if we were Elizabeth, choosing this would probably get our head lopped off, but we're Hakunon, so it's okay...probably. Royal prerogative and everything, you understand.

I can't quite agree with her. If SE.RA.PH's in danger, then we don't have time to butt heards with our rivals. Caster may be efficient when it comes to waging war, her personal emotions can cloud her judgment when she's up against specific people. And it looks like this Emperor is one of those people. But I'm sure she'll come around. There are more important things than drawing out the fight. She'll get that.

Master? What are you saying? You're not disagreeing with me, I hope. Ohhh... That's going to be a problem. A very big problem. You don't want to be unhelpful, do you? So could you please say that again, Master? ♡ I'm not wrong here, am I?

Uhh...maybe I was wrong, actually. Hopefully Hakuno plays this one all smooth-like.

In that instant, I feel like she's pinning me against a wall. She shoots me a sidelong glance with those eyes, those compelling golden eyes. Her beautiful gaze hits me like a tsunami. I can't withstand the pressure. All I can do is nod in agreement.

Well, things worked out. One wonders how far Hakunon could push Tamamo, though.

Thank goodness. ♪ I knew you'd see it my way! Ah, mutual love is a wonderful thing! You and I, Master, pledged to one another, our feelings connected as one. ★

Yeah, yeah, that's enough. You two have your own room for that, you know. Besides, great Queen, I don't think Archimedes is done talking.

Hm, what happened to the real Elizabeth Bathory? This is definitely not like her...maybe.

Indeed, Elizabeth, and I stake my life on these words. The King has awakened to find the kingdom changed. And so I must inform you both: With the "enemy" who attacked the King still at large, and anomalies in every corner of the land...clearly, the danger to SE.RA.PH grows with each passing moment, and so I would ask its King and Queen to take action at once.

Archimedes, you...

Caster's eyes burn brightly. This isn't good. She's in a genuine rage now. She's ready to blast Archimedes right in the face... I touch Caster's hand to try and calm her. Archimedes does have a point. More than one point, actually.

...Errrgh. If you insist, I will hold back my fangs. Very well. Let's suppose SE.RA.PH really is in some unprecedented danger. So what? It's not as if we have all the time in the world. Why should we bother with that sort of thing? What I want is to live happily with my Master. That's all. I don't need anything else.

Ha. That's total BS, and you know it. You need money, you need power, you need pleasure... And once you find a little happiness, all you want is more. That's what being a woman means to you. In fact, your true nature-

Stop and feel the wrath of Heaven, won't you? ♡

*ahem* Where were we, dear? ★ Ah, oh yes, I only want to live happily with you. I want...a little fun, a little mystery, and just a hint of decadence. Our united people showering us with tribute, enough wine to fill a pond, acres and acres of food. A lifestyle of dazzling stimulation. That is my dream. My wish. Everything I want to accomplish here in our Millennium Capital. Anything else, well, I don't care. Not even about anything else that lives here, to be honest.

Yeah, Archie...you may have backed the wrong horse here. Granted, you didn't have a choice for Regalia wielders, but still...

I'M...STILL...BE...ING...SHO...CK...ED...! You see? That's who she really is, the freaking animal! That's her true nature, Kishinami! Kind of creepy, yeah? Makes you stop and think a little? You should rip up your contract with this 20-something hagGYAAAAH!

*laugh track*

Seriously, though, Tamamo really should abusing the poor idol. It's a tough gig, and the audience is ice cold around here.

No, I wouldn't say it's creepy. It's just Caster being Caster.

Yeah, I guess "Mikon~!" translates to something like "Heavens me!"

She's already got you whipped!

...Why is she so surprised? Caster's always been a little weird, but it's just part of who she is. Nothing surprising about it, really. I wouldn't be fit to be her Master if I saw it any other way. And if Caster slipped through a crack and fell right into Hell, it would be my job to reach down and pull her back up.

Master, you're so accepting of who I am. I almost renounced my evil ways for you.

...I see. If you refuse to act, then I cannot force you.

You just now figured that out? No once can force me to do anything, I keep having to tell people that. But good, we're all settled, then. ♪ My Husband, shall we go perform our royal duties? Oh, what timing! Apparently, we have an intruder in the castle. A rude little sneak. Let us drink to crushing him at once!

...Intruder? One of the Emperor's people?

...Pardon me. I did not mean to startle you, Caster, could I introduce myself to your Master?

No, allow me. Master, this Rider who just dropped down from the ceiling with ninja-like agility is Medusa. She was rampaging around as a solo Servant, but I invited her up for tea, we chatted away, and found out that we get along splendidly. So now she uses her quick feet to spy for us.

...I wouldn't call it a "rampage", but... Never mind. She's not wrong, for the most part. Honestly, I dislike joining in on fights, but the rule of the Regalia is absolute. Pleased to work with you, Hakunon.

*sigh* Gloomy as usual. Well, at least you're not preening on about your beauty. Hm? If you're here, does that mean Lu Bu's here too?

Yes. He and Lancer are about to arrive at any moment. Master. Caster has gathered four servants to this castle, acting as their temporary Master in your place. That includes me, that Lancer, and...

▂▂▃▃▂▂

Now, if we're just going by the raw numbers, there are actually way more Berserkers who are actually coherent and can speak intelligently than there are Zerkers like Lu Bu who just shout all the time. But, Lu Bu was introduced way back in Fate/EXTRA, back when the usual "Berserkers just roar all the time" rule was still hard and fast, so don't be expecting much coherence out of this dude.

But man. In-between Elizabeth, Medusa, and Lu Bu, Tamamo has assembled quite the Rogues' Gallery, with the exception of Karna here, who, by all accounts, is a stand-up dude. I guess like attracts like.

Pardon my interruption, and my tardiness. I heard the Master had awakened, and wanted to introduce myself.

...Ooh, one after another, paying homage to the King and ignoring the intruder. You all need to reconsider your priorities, you know...but on the bright side, what better time to meet them all, my Husband? These are our most powerful allies and subordinates, an elite troop of Solo Servants. Except for the useless motormouth who can't fight, clean, or cook.

I can do all of that! And you're the one who says I'm not allowed on the battlefield!

Yes, yes. The one yapping is Lan... Well, I like to call her "Pushy Pajama Maiden". Berserker, a living fortress who rampaged through the Moon's Holy Grail War! The infinitely strong wielder of the Houtengageki...

Heavens me! Thanks for your enthusiasm, but you're starting to scare me! ...Excuse me, Mr. Lu Bu. Could you please quiet down a little? I really do appreciate your loyalty, but...

▂▂▃▃▂▂ ▂▂▃▃▂▂ !

Okay, okay. Stop! That's enough! *phew* Well, I know he can be scary, but that's just part of being a Berserker! He's a maniac, but his skills are beyond exceptional. Being the real Lu Bu Fengxian, I wasn't sure he'd answer my call... But here he is! Just like that, he agreed to be one of our generals.

...? ▂▂▃▃▂▂ !

Yes, thank you for that cry of triumph! It was worth almost certainly failing to recruit you! You might know him as the "Tamamo Killer", since he can kill me in one hit even if I Guard. But let's just let bygones be bygones. Now, Mr. Lu Bu is a true loyalist. I can tell these things from past experiences.

...?

Tamamo let slip an EXTRA reference there, where the fight with Lu Bu as Tamamo was rather hard, as she has very low HP and Lu Bu hits really hard. That's one of the things I really like about how Tamamo is written. She's thematically very Japanese (just look at her capital), but slips into speaking English every now and then. She tries to be a very prim and proper wife, but she gets excitable / irritated very easily, and occasionally will start tapping on the 4th wall. It's a very fun mishmash of contradictions.

Personally speaking, knowing a bit about Lu Bu's history, I wouldn't be too proud of summoning a guy like Lu Bu and having him under contract. Given his...proclivities and all, you see.

Next is the ninja Rider I introduced earlier. Ms. Medusa, please go ahead and introduce yourself. Oh, and don't try to flirt with my Master, or I will kill you. ♡

I have little to say about myself. But...SE.RA.PH is certainly under threat, and that threat should be dealt with as soon as possible. ...I am glad that Caster has a Master like you. You are more than I expected... If you need anything, please don't hesitate to call on me. I'm a Rider-class Servant. My name is Medusa. Like your Queen, I'm an anti-Heroic Spiirt meant to represent evil.

Oh, calling us "evil" is so uncouth...even if it's true. I can't deny it. *ahem* Anyway, besides that, here's the final Servant amongst our four finest. Please take a look, my darling! His class is Lancer He carries himself with the proud heritage of ancient India. Some call him the Hero of the Sun, and his name is... Mr. Karna! THE Mr. Karna! I have to say that name again. Mr. Karna! Has any other empire ever had such a great hero? No! He's the strongest pillar of our whole military! You see, when I heard the Moon Cell had summoned Mr. Karna, I gave him a passionate speech, and he gladly joined. ♪ We're are both sun types, both loyalist types, he's drawn to my overflowing charisma... Oh, but don't worry. I'm all yours, dear. ♡ You can't compare them to mere AI machines. ★ These are my four Servants! Our military power!

Figures the guy Tamamo is most proud to have on her side doesn't get a speech. He likely does not mind, however.

Our four Servants all stand in a row. I have never seen a Servant following another Servant. Especially not the likes of Berserker or Karna. But here they are, formed up in front of me. Are all of them really devoting their loyalty to Caster...? I don't think I'll know for sure until I talk to them individually.

...Obviously, we will put their powers to good use. Now, once again... We need to crush this intruder, who snuck into our castle, our very own den of love. So let's take a little stroll, straighten up the place, and leave not a trace of dirt behind. ♪

Housework, with a vengeance, huh? I'm on-board.

Before the first battle

You seem a little confused. What you need to do is lie back and relax, without a care in the world. As you might have guessed, "My Room" is a temporary name, in order to avoid regulations. Really, it's like a hot springs inn! I call it "Tamamo's Hidden Fox Bathhouse." ♡ It's perfect for resting up between deployments, checking your Code Cast data, or - if you want - even some late-night chats! My Room is the place for all of that. So if you're tired, no need to ask; just rest here anytime you like. Whether you want a quick break or an all-night stay... ★

Uh, hmm, I think I'll go with "quick break" for now. I'm not that tired, and we need to deal with the enemy. But besides that, Caster...

I suppose she is pretty energetic today...

Well of course! Even if I am the Queen, I'm just your regular, ordinary beautiful woman. And here I am, next to my darling. Is there anything greater than that? No, of course not!

Abrupt change of topic! That's in no way due to it being a separate scene...

...How nostalgic. Fighting alongside you like this. Oh, but the Moon's Holy Grail War wasn't THAT long ago, was it? We met so many people then, and said farewell to many as well. ...And I feel like there was some incident that happened in between the lines somewhere...or did it?

Ah, good ol' CCC references, of which there are precious few in this game. Given that Tamamo was one of the playable Servants, I guess...it's canon if you want it to be? That sounds about right.

I remember how it was back then. The Holy Grail War. The Moon Cell. SE.RA.PH. Caster and I fought side by side. And we survived to make it all the way here, talking together in "My Room". Here we are in the royal palace. My Room is different than the room we had to ourselves in the Holy Grail War. Caster apparently made it that way. To her tastes, obviously. ...But besides that, there are still a few things I want to know...

She *does* seem a little different, doesn't she? Besides, I'm sure she doesn't want to even think about Elizabeth. More to the point, speaking of her...wonder why she was wanting us to get the hell out of here so bad. Also, this will raise bond level.

Well...of course. I am the ruler of the Millennium Capital. I can't show my true face to just anyone. I have promised myself that this room...will be the only place where I can be my old self, since it's only between us. Therefore...please understand. It's not that I'm territorial against others, or that my origin is showing...or that I"m having fun after being good for so very long. It's not like that at all. Above all, I am your Servant. Think of it this way: On the throne, I'm a Queen. In here, I'm yours.

Well, as long as we're clear on things...

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 15, 2017

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I love Tamamo. I love everything about her, and I cannot get enough of her. And I think that's probably the only reason I ended up enjoying her story, because as you can already see, she definitely lays it on a bit thick with the whole 'haughty queen' thing.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

All this is making me want to somehow pick up Fate/Extra, since I never got the chance and only read/heard about it from others.

Also I forgot for a moment that you had to put those casual outfits on the servants, and I thought that was just what Tamamo wears when lounging around in her capital.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The thing to keep in mind about Tamamo is however cute she might be, she's a monster trying to act like a human. Extra sometimes let you forget that. Extella doesn't.

freshlybaked posted:

All this is making me want to somehow pick up Fate/Extra, since I never got the chance and only read/heard about it from others.

The battle system eventually gets a bit repetitive, but it's the first appearance of many of the characters in this game, and if you like Extella's story you'll probably like Extra's. CCC is supposed to be better, but prospects of that getting a full English translation this decade are not so good.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Thuryl posted:

The battle system eventually gets a bit repetitive, but it's the first appearance of many of the characters in this game, and if you like Extella's story you'll probably like Extra's. CCC is supposed to be better, but prospects of that getting a full English translation this decade are not so good.

Gods willing, we get some sort of PS4 port / remake / remaster. When I've heard that as a possibility, it's usually brought up a challenge there might be that the source code has been lost to the aether. Still, I'm willing to bet if TM really wants a nice new addition to their golden money palace, they'll give Marvelous the go-ahead on a port of CCC of some variety.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Thuryl posted:

The thing to keep in mind about Tamamo is however cute she might be, she's a monster trying to act like a human. Extra sometimes let you forget that. Extella doesn't.

The battle system of Extra is like, sounds kinda neat on paper, but in actual execution gets kind of repetitive, yeah. I mean the idea of basically planning out five Rock-paper-scissors, and winning them all netting you an extra move is cool but... in actual execution, doesn't feel as good.
I personally never got further then this. I can't stand Tamamo's disregard for her duties and her one-track mind to just wanna bone you.

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
Tamamo is very cute and indeed quite evil though we have to see if the power of love can change her or just make her more evil

Also I wonder what wrong with Hakuno they seem oddly distracted by things though if she is also missing her mind it makes sense why she can't seem to really focus that well

As a side note are we goanna get to see the other options of the conversations at some point or just what you pick the first time round

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

GOI posted:

As a side note are we goanna get to see the other options of the conversations at some point or just what you pick the first time round

Depends on the choice. There's only one choice I can recall (optional scene), I'm going to choose all three, but seems a bit wasteful to do it for every choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Mikon is the Universal Language