Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
It might be my 2017 sensibilities but I've been playing Wrestlemanias starting from 1 while painting some minis and I just can't stand Hulk's promos. They might have been effective at the time but Ted's promos are from the same era and are still palatable today so gently caress you, vote shamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
THE BRACKET! YOU MAY BITCH ENDLESSLY ABOUT IT IN HERE!

PAUL E. DANGEROUSLY REGION

#1 Paul Heyman (#1 Overall seed)
#8 New Jack

#4 Terry Funk
#5 Arn Anderson

#3 Bobby Heenan
#6 Gene Okerlund

#2 Mick Foley
#7 Jesse Ventura

BLACK SCORPION REGION

#1 Ric Flair (#2 Overall seed)
#8 Paul Bearer

#4 Nick Bockwinkel
#5 Larry Sweeney

#3 Jake Roberts
#6 William Regal

#2 Chris Jericho
#7 John Cena

RINGMASTER REGION

#1 Steve Austin (#3 Overall seed)
#8 Hulk Hogan

#4 Vince McMahon
#5 The Miz

#3 Roddy Piper
#6 Jerry Lawler

#2 Dusty Rhodes
#7 Scott Steiner

FLEX KAVANA REGION

#1 The Rock (#4 Overall seed)
#8 Raven

#4 Randy Savage
#5 Rick Rude

#3 Jim Cornette
#6 Jim Ross

#2 CM Punk
#7 Ted DiBiase

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vaguido posted:

It might be my 2017 sensibilities but I've been playing Wrestlemanias starting from 1 while painting some minis and I just can't stand Hulk's promos. They might have been effective at the time but Ted's promos are from the same era and are still palatable today so gently caress you, vote shamers.

His 1996-1998 run alone should have been enough to get him a #1 seed.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
paul heyman now is one of the most samey, boring promos in wrestling but boy he was good for a time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Santino didn't make it this tournament is now dead to me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PAUL E. DANGEROUSLY REGION

#1 Paul Heyman (#1 Overall seed)
#8 New Jack
New Jack. New Jack has never, ever delivered a promo that made me want to turn off my TV, and was the sole reason the racist-rear end Gangstas gimmick came off as believable. He's one of those guys like Jake Roberts who you simply couldn't take your eyes off when he talked. Heyman is a caricature, New Jack came across as the real deal.

#4 Terry Funk
#5 Arn Anderson
Hardest one of the first round by a long shot, but I have to go with Arn here. Brutal matchup for both guys

#3 Bobby Heenan
#6 Gene Okerlund
Bobby, as much as I love Mean Gene, Bobby's excellence as a manager puts him over the top.

#2 Mick Foley
#7 Jesse Ventura
I was tempted to put Ventura here due to how awful Foley's later work got but his early stuff was so good that I couldn't justify it.

BLACK SCORPION REGION

#1 Ric Flair
#8 Paul Bearer
Flair laps Bearer. Can't possibly see a case for Bearer being in the poll at all, his strengths were his look and his work as a ringside manager, not his promos.

#4 Nick Bockwinkel
#5 Larry Sweeney
I think Nick laps Sweeney here/

#3 Jake Roberts
#6 William Regal
Jake, despite Regal's long career. Regal was always better at heel work and facials than his actual promo ability.
#2 Chris Jericho
#7 John Cena
Cena. I've never thought much of Jericho's "great" work like the armbar promo, and very few people were better with awful material than Cena was, and continues to be.

RINGMASTER REGION

#1 Steve Austin (#3 Overall seed)
#8 Hulk Hogan
Brutal matchup for the Hulkster. I can't even use the drawing argument because Steve is one of the greatest draws in wrestling history. Steve by a field goal.

#4 Vince McMahon
#5 The Miz
Vince. I mean, I don't hate Miz as a promo but Vince at his peak was such a motherfucker on the mic.

#3 Roddy Piper
#6 Jerry Lawler
Piper was a trainwreck too often to vote for him. Lawler had a bad habit of burying his opponents as a heel, but my god was he quick-witted in his prime, and he was a tremendous babyface promo.

#2 Dusty Rhodes
#7 Scott Steiner
Dusty, I don't think this one needs to be justified.

FLEX KAVANA REGION

#1 The Rock (#4 Overall seed)
#8 Raven
Haha

#4 Randy Savage
#5 Rick Rude
Savage. Rude never struck me as a great talker, more of a great character. Maybe because I remember him pairing with Heyman for some of his best work.

#3 Jim Cornette
#6 Jim Ross
Corny, mainly by default because I halfway want to DQ Ross here for barely (if ever?) doing even manager work

#2 CM Punk
#7 Ted DiBiase
This one could go either way, but I like Ted for the same reason I voted against Heyman- Punk could get shut-down-TV annoying sometimes, but far less often than Paul.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 19, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wrong thread

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had to vote against Mean Gene :negative:

Jericho too :(

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Jericho over Cena was an easy choice for me personally. Cena has good delivery but he's so formulaic in his approach every promo is essentially the same. Jericho can pull crazy stuff and emotes so much better.

I didn't want to vote against Mean Gene :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Threw a pity vote at my boy Regal since he got a tough draw with Jake.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Flair laps Bearer. Can't possibly see a case for Bearer being in the poll at all, his strengths were his look and his work as a ringside manager, not his promos.

I have good memories of his pre-WWF work as Percy Pringle and his later 90's work when he loosened up the character. He made me think of like a less jokey version of a Brother Love evil preacher kind of thing. There was a fair bit more to him than just the "ooohhh yess" schtick as a promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50iYwAOu1M

None of that is to say in any way that people should vote for him over Flair but I can totally see people calling him a great promo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Jericho over Cena was an easy choice for me personally. Cena has good delivery but he's so formulaic in his approach every promo is essentially the same.

I call John Cena's promos "Previously on WWE".

"Hey, here's a recap of what's happened in WWE since you last saw me for some reason!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RacistGuidingLight posted:

What the hell did Arn ever say that was any good?

Ladies and Gentlemen, through the year 2000, we're gonna do exactly what all of you across this nation have asked: Arn Anderson... bring back the Horsemen! But I feel it fair to tell ya, I'm not going to be responsible for what happens next. Because we don't wear white hats, we're not nice guys, and I can tell you this, heads are gonna roll! So, Savage, be careful what you wish for, because now.... you have it!

Oh! What a goof! What a goof! You know, I get accused of getting whacked in the head a few times and having a little touch of alzheimers. My God! I almost forgot the 4th Horseman! Ric Flair, get on down here!

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Jericho and Cena are similar, in that they're capable of delivering both amazing, as well as terrible promos. Usually they're terrible when they try to do comedy and fail. I think Jericho has the advantage when it comes to truly memorable promos, as well as the ability to successfully re-invent himself multiple times, so he has my vote.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Reminder of what it looks like when somebody else tries to script Jericho:

:unsmigghh:

Cena can work WWE scripts, but I don't even know if he can innovate the way Y2J can because I've only ever seen him working with generic material generated by the WWE corporate branding machine, which would just never have the acumen to produce something with the doofy elegance of "You are gonna get... it."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't remember a single thing Y2J has ever said except the armbar thing despite the fact that I've listened to at least three different episodes of his podcast.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

arn anderson is nothing compared to terry funk, even if you limit it to "promos about ric flair"

oh hold up i guess "promos after 1995" is a toss-up

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 22, 2017

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I can't remember a single thing Y2J has ever said except the armbar thing despite the fact that I've listened to at least three different episodes of his podcast.

You are in the vast minority on this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I never claimed to be on any side of the popular opinion so I'm ok with that.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Bad draw for Raven and Miz :[

They're both artful and underrated imho but there's no going against The Rock and Vince McMahon

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Is Steiner math being used to count his votes?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cubone posted:

Bad draw for Raven and Miz :[

They're both artful and underrated imho but there's no going against The Rock and Vince McMahon

Hulkster is hosed going against Austin too.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hulkster is hosed going against Austin too.

https://youtu.be/LxLVi7f2Wac

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I voted Miz over McMahon. My reasoning is Mcmhon is a crazy racist, sexist, homophobic, old man and generally comes across as one note. Also he is responsible for the majority of badly scripted promos and promo-teers that didn't make this list.

The hard choice or me was Punk/Dibiase. I went with Punk because, as awesome as Dibiase was, he never really had to do a babyface promo. I still love old $1,000,000 man though.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
DiBiase was like "BWAHAHAHA" while CM Punk was like "boohoohoohoohoo".

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Results from the first round:

#1 Paul Heyman (#1 Overall seed) d. #8 New Jack 33-7. New Jack's underrated since most people have only heard his shoots but Jack could cut a quiet, intense promo when he wanted to. Cornette said that Jack might have been the only person in Smokey Mountain who could have out-talked him, which is high praise. Also the shout-out to OJ Simpson is magnificent.

Paul's on another level, though.

#5 Arn Anderson d. #4 Terry Funk 20-19. Legit back and forth with Arn winning on the final vote. I didn't have a tie-breaker in mind so I started to get a little worried once they got real close in votes.

#3 Bobby Heenan d. #6 Gene Okerlund 37-3. Near sweep.

#2 Mick Foley d. #7 Jesse Ventura 27-13.

#1 Ric Flair d. #8 Paul Bearer 40-0. Poor Paul, he never stood a chance.

#4 Nick Bockwinkel d. #5 Larry Sweeney 23-14. I doubt anyone here's ever heard a Bockwinkel promo :colbert:. Anyway, he's in trouble next round.

#3 Jake Roberts d. #6 William Regal 37-3.

#2 Chris Jericho d. #7 John Cena 29-11. I'm looking forward to seeing how the forum goes on Jake vs. Jericho. It'll say something; what I don't know but it'll say something.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

C. Everett Koop posted:

Results from the first round:

#1 Paul Heyman (#1 Overall seed) d. #8 New Jack 33-7. New Jack's underrated since most people have only heard his shoots but Jack could cut a quiet, intense promo when he wanted to. Cornette said that Jack might have been the only person in Smokey Mountain who could have out-talked him, which is high praise. Also the shout-out to OJ Simpson is magnificent.

Paul's on another level, though.

#5 Arn Anderson d. #4 Terry Funk 20-19. Legit back and forth with Arn winning on the final vote. I didn't have a tie-breaker in mind so I started to get a little worried once they got real close in votes.

#3 Bobby Heenan d. #6 Gene Okerlund 37-3. Near sweep.

#2 Mick Foley d. #7 Jesse Ventura 27-13.

#1 Ric Flair d. #8 Paul Bearer 40-0. Poor Paul, he never stood a chance.

#4 Nick Bockwinkel d. #5 Larry Sweeney 23-14. I doubt anyone here's ever heard a Bockwinkel promo :colbert:. Anyway, he's in trouble next round.

#3 Jake Roberts d. #6 William Regal 37-3.

#2 Chris Jericho d. #7 John Cena 29-11. I'm looking forward to seeing how the forum goes on Jake vs. Jericho. It'll say something; what I don't know but it'll say something.

Shut the gently caress up, rear end in a top hat! Suck my dick!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT-tj54RkMw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jericho's legit one of my all-time favorites, so I'm not sure who I'd pick over him. But Jake comes damned close.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

C. Everett Koop posted:

That's not fair, I watched the first three promos that popped up on Youtube before I cast my vote.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Bockwinkel's one of the best promos of all time, but I'll wait until next round to make the case.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

https://youtu.be/WXc2LRQpau8

Nick was one of the best and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i had a dream last night that terry funk got screwed over

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm calling rigged on Steiner's match up.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Cavauro posted:

Good thing he got beat by a better talker in real life :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lawler and New Jack are like two of my favorite promos ever. Bad matchups

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cavauro posted:

There's nothing dragging down me now/
Cause a girl gonna push it all out the waaaaay-yay-yaay

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Second half of quarterfinal results:

#1 Steve Austin (#3 Overall seed) d. #8 Hulk Hogan 33-4. His promos don't hold up today, but the idea that anyone could have been in the Hogan role once Vince was ready to go national doesn't hold water to me. Hogan's got a charisma about him that generally looms over everyone else, as noted when he was in the ring with Rock and Austin at Wrestlemania 30 and was still the biggest star in the ring. If not for how badly he's handled the twilight of his career post-Hogan Knows Best, I think we'd have gotten a better result from the Hulkster.

#4 Vince McMahon d. #5 The Miz 24-13. Austin/Vince is a fun matchup since Austin doesn't become Austin without having Vince finally give into his urge to be an on-camera character and attack it with all of his gusto. If anything, Vince has done too well in his role as it's led to his whole stupid family to think they can follow in his on-screen footsteps. I think Austin/Vince is either a nail-biter or a blowout, none of this "win by like ten" stuff.

#3 Roddy Piper d. #6 Jerry Lawler 27-10. Lawler started off hot and I thought we'd have our first major upset but Piper came roaring back. No one can dispute that Lawler can talk, but he never hit the maniacal peaks that Hot Rod could. It also doesn't help that Lawler's best stuff was in Memphis and all of his national work is as a semi-retired pervert.

#2 Dusty Rhodes d. #7 Scott Steiner 31-6. All the Steiner math in the world doesn't put him past the American Dream, and if a non-#1 seed's going to win this thing, you gotta believe it'll be Dusty.

#1 The Rock (#4 Overall seed) d. #8 Raven 34-3. Raven's best work came before ECW went national, and against the biggest star in the world (and that's not hyperbole) he didn't have a chance.

#4 Randy Savage d. #5 Rick Rude 30-7. Rude got a lot of love in the voting for a guy who had his spiel but mostly got carried by Heenan in the mic department. He was overseeded against an underseeded Macho Man and that spelt disaster.

#3 Jim Cornette d. #6 Jim Ross 29-8. I remember when Awful Announcing did a "best sports call ever" tournament that was rightfully won by the "Miracles" call, but JR's Hell in a Cell call did very well for itself, I think making it to the quarters there. It was viral before viral was a thing and has shown to have surprising staying power. It almost makes the years that first Cell bump took off of Foley's life worth it.

#2 CM Punk d. #7 Ted DiBiase 32-5. And with that the pre-show battle royale winners are all eliminated. Punk was the best mic worker of his generation and he benefits from burning out instead of fading away, but I don't know how he'll hold up in the next few rounds. Punk being a top-10 talker of all time seems wrong to me, but then again I still don't think that Steph Curry is the best shooter of all time so what do I know.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Roddy Piper could have given a promo that cured cancer and it would not make up for his WCW run.
Please do not vote for this man.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Punk is kind of a punchline these days, but I really do think he belongs in the top-10 talkers conversation. As an undersized guy with no athletic background to speak of, he never gets as far he did in WWE without his promo skills. He made a huge impact on the business in ways that I think we still don't totally appreciate today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Paul Heyman and Bobby Heenan are going to go up against each other in something other than the final round :aaa:

Sad that Paul Heyman won't make it to the final round.

• Locked thread