Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think someone should nominate Superstar Billy Graham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anyone voting Scott Steiner, Edge, or Bray goddamn Wyatt over Hulk Hogan as a promo should be brutally destroyed.

I mean, I get Billy Graham because 70s WWWF isn't exactly hip, but come on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vaguido posted:

It might be my 2017 sensibilities but I've been playing Wrestlemanias starting from 1 while painting some minis and I just can't stand Hulk's promos. They might have been effective at the time but Ted's promos are from the same era and are still palatable today so gently caress you, vote shamers.

His 1996-1998 run alone should have been enough to get him a #1 seed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PAUL E. DANGEROUSLY REGION

#1 Paul Heyman (#1 Overall seed)
#8 New Jack
New Jack. New Jack has never, ever delivered a promo that made me want to turn off my TV, and was the sole reason the racist-rear end Gangstas gimmick came off as believable. He's one of those guys like Jake Roberts who you simply couldn't take your eyes off when he talked. Heyman is a caricature, New Jack came across as the real deal.

#4 Terry Funk
#5 Arn Anderson
Hardest one of the first round by a long shot, but I have to go with Arn here. Brutal matchup for both guys

#3 Bobby Heenan
#6 Gene Okerlund
Bobby, as much as I love Mean Gene, Bobby's excellence as a manager puts him over the top.

#2 Mick Foley
#7 Jesse Ventura
I was tempted to put Ventura here due to how awful Foley's later work got but his early stuff was so good that I couldn't justify it.

BLACK SCORPION REGION

#1 Ric Flair
#8 Paul Bearer
Flair laps Bearer. Can't possibly see a case for Bearer being in the poll at all, his strengths were his look and his work as a ringside manager, not his promos.

#4 Nick Bockwinkel
#5 Larry Sweeney
I think Nick laps Sweeney here/

#3 Jake Roberts
#6 William Regal
Jake, despite Regal's long career. Regal was always better at heel work and facials than his actual promo ability.
#2 Chris Jericho
#7 John Cena
Cena. I've never thought much of Jericho's "great" work like the armbar promo, and very few people were better with awful material than Cena was, and continues to be.

RINGMASTER REGION

#1 Steve Austin (#3 Overall seed)
#8 Hulk Hogan
Brutal matchup for the Hulkster. I can't even use the drawing argument because Steve is one of the greatest draws in wrestling history. Steve by a field goal.

#4 Vince McMahon
#5 The Miz
Vince. I mean, I don't hate Miz as a promo but Vince at his peak was such a motherfucker on the mic.

#3 Roddy Piper
#6 Jerry Lawler
Piper was a trainwreck too often to vote for him. Lawler had a bad habit of burying his opponents as a heel, but my god was he quick-witted in his prime, and he was a tremendous babyface promo.

#2 Dusty Rhodes
#7 Scott Steiner
Dusty, I don't think this one needs to be justified.

FLEX KAVANA REGION

#1 The Rock (#4 Overall seed)
#8 Raven
Haha

#4 Randy Savage
#5 Rick Rude
Savage. Rude never struck me as a great talker, more of a great character. Maybe because I remember him pairing with Heyman for some of his best work.

#3 Jim Cornette
#6 Jim Ross
Corny, mainly by default because I halfway want to DQ Ross here for barely (if ever?) doing even manager work

#2 CM Punk
#7 Ted DiBiase
This one could go either way, but I like Ted for the same reason I voted against Heyman- Punk could get shut-down-TV annoying sometimes, but far less often than Paul.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 19, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cubone posted:

Bad draw for Raven and Miz :[

They're both artful and underrated imho but there's no going against The Rock and Vince McMahon

Hulkster is hosed going against Austin too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lawler and New Jack are like two of my favorite promos ever. Bad matchups

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Lawler got robbed but I also think that 80s Memphis was the peak of wrestling so I might be biased.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Paul Heyman is going to dump New Jack and Arn Anderson out of a "best promos" tournament and I am going to throw things. When was the last time Arn gave a promo that made you want to switch channels because that's what half of Paul's poo poo does to me lately.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you don't think Bock's promos hold up anymore I'd like to know what you're comparing them to.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dusty Rhodes was really good but just can't compare with Billy Gunn saying "rear end" a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Paul Heyman did more harm than Austin did when it comes to obnoxious crowd reactions.

• Locked thread