Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Where is Wicked J in this discussion??? Hasn't come up once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You think he's paying attention to an Internet poll? Scott Steiner only cares about two things in this world: his freaks, and his peaks. And he's already the winner according to Steiner Math.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Bockwinkel's one of the best promos of all time, but I'll wait until next round to make the case.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

The more energetic, comparatively visceral promos of the 90's and above. Bock is good at what he does, but what he does sounds like a guy giving a somewhat impassioned press conference on ESPN after a tough road loss.
That was his character, and he was good at it. But compared to guys like Dusty, Piper (WCW RUN NOTWITHSTANDING) and Flair, it feels like a relic of a bygone age.

I was busy moving all day so I didn't have time to make a case for Bockwinkel that would be relevant to voting now.

But saying that Bockwinkel is a "relic of a bygone age" implies that he was somehow representative of how wrestlers delivered promos at a certain time...and that was never true. Bockwinkel was always sui generis, there never was another wrestler who interviewed quite like him.

It's very difficult to make a case for Bockwinkel vs. the man who is arguably the greatest wrestler of all time. But you can draw parallels between Ric's style and others during the coked-out 80s era, whereas Bockwinkel was always truly unique. And if we're holding wrestlers responsible for everything they did during the duration of their career, including things they didn't have complete control over (and when does that really happen?) Ric was unfortunately involved in plenty of embarrassing garbage like Bockwinkel never was. Nick carried the AWA on his shoulders like no one else could. And he kept up with Bobby loving Heenan without relying on him to do the work for him.

The interviews surrounding his "$500 per punch" match with Lawler are really the perfect illustration for me. Nick said that Lawler was a fearsome brawler, and that he was delivering the interview in the time he had before his jaw swelled shut...but insisted "the name on the marquee is wrestling." A heel promo that put over his opponent while nonetheless insisting that he was the better man, in a way that made perfect sense. That's something that very few people have ever really been able to do well. And Bockwinkel's style also played very well into being able to switch from heel to face and back again, always in a way that made sense, without suddenly becoming a different character overnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3LJMQmKpA&t=183s

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 28, 2017

• Locked thread