Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I would love to see pictures! I'm always lusting after a Pendleton quilt

The quilts are nice, but the family that owns the Pendelton Woolen Mills are reprehensible, criminal fuckfaces. Buy a used one. They don't deserve your money.

E for top of page content. Have some dry reading on arson and big box stores and other poo poo these people try to pull. Howard Dietrich, Jr. literally got a law degree just to understand how to break the law more effectively. I can't even.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/09/owners_of_thunderbird_hotel_de.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/12/police_offer_1000_to_solve_thu.html
http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-10450-big-box-big-suit.html
http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-33711-thunderbird-hotel-is-multnomah-countys-biggest-property-tax-delinquent.html

In interior design disasters, this fuckface insisted on being the contractor for his daughter's home. He built the bar in the kitchen extra high because he bought chairs he liked and decided to accommodate the chairs, making the bar about collarbone height for the average person. The guy he hired to do the building was a rapist with hep C who couldn't get hired anywhere else, who shat blood in every toilet and refused to flush, and couldn't install anything on a straight line. All the fixtures, like tubs and sinks, were hotel overstock. The tub had jets; they were not hooked up. There was an instant hot water heater, but it was in the basement, and didn't have enough pressure to maintain the hot output for a full shower unless you used one of those industrial water-saving showerheads. Most of that happened because he insisted on blowing the rest of the budget on moving the upstairs en suite bathrooms from one side of the room to the other, which then meant the closets had to go under the slant of the roof, cutting off about 3/4s of the original storage space. Oh, and they had no exhaust vents (this is Portland, it's a loving swamp with pine trees), nor did the walls reach the ceiling, so have fun peeing discretely when guests are in the room.

Since he ran out of money there, he left the basement unfinished with a failed drainage system, so the place flooded in the spring until they slapped a sump pump in the basement and some roof tar on the exterior of the foundation wall. Then he failed to build enough parking spots, because he insisted on having an extra green space that no one ever used. In his infinite creative wisdom, he installed a remote power opener on the rear gate. Since the gate posts weren't sunk into concrete, they rotated under the force of the motor, causing the gate latch to move out of alignment until it couldn't latch at all. Or, if it did latch, it would refuse to let go, which caused all kinds of fun noises and alarms to go off. I eventually just removed the whole loving thing with a socket set and left it unplugged on the outside of the gate until his rapist weirdo builder came to get it.

And then there were the dogs. Not exactly design related, but when you have two or more fully grown pit bulls, you need to take more proactive care of your furniture. She did not. Would also like to point out that this supposed professional dog trainer's dogs literally tore each other to pieces in the basement and had to be put down. That was the 4th time they fought to the point of injury. The 3rd time, the other renter and I had to wrench them apart with our bare hands, shoes, and jiu jitsu skills. I still have sense memories from cleaning up dog blood.

$500 a month for rent is hard to beat, but not under those circumstances.

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a resource of bad design and why it's bad? I'm not looking for "LUL design fail" blogs or whatever, but more like the ones that take an analytical approach to why something is good / bad. I often see photos of interior design that feel "off" to me, but I can't specifically say why.

It's like when you see a bad movie and you know something is wrong, but then you see an analysis from a film critic who points out where all the problems lie and the underlying bad decisions become clear.

Like this for example (10,000 sqft house): Something about this aesthetic is throwing me off but I don't know what. Something about it seems superficial or uninspired. The rock slabs? The excess (generic-looking) furniture? That it looks like it was just plucked out of a default design for something? The other house stuck right next to it? That weird-rear end diamond thing above the fireplace? All of the above?

Or is it perfectly fine but I just don't "get it" since I'm into downtown lofts and not the suburbs?

For the record I am looking for "LUL design fail" blogs if anybody has any good ones.

Reams have been written about interior design, and if you want to go hard into it all your major design groups and schools of thought have manifestos to dig into, but you can get pretty far just with basic art theory, particularly color and proportion:

So you might not like that patio because it's drab and low-contrast:

Or you might not like its sense of balance:

Or you might be responding to cultural and temporal subtext, like how the furniture is identifiably cheap and the materials are identifiably artificial.

This changes a lot with time, nostalgia sometimes buffing the tackiness off things like 50's steel lawn furniture:

Or stripping the institutional connotation from Steelcase tanker desks:

http://www.steelsantos.com/image/002.JPG

Or turning cutting-edge fixtures, trendy colors, and innovative concepts about how a room should be used into a nauseating eyesore:

http://ronikordis.com/wp-content/uploads/gr/grooving-conversation-pits-from-back.jpg

Edit: Images are doing that thing for me of not loading again, sorry.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Any image under an http URL won't load - it has to be served from an https URL now that the forums have gone all https all the time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

^^ efb

The forums don't support image hosts that don't do https. That means hotlinking becomes a crapshoot. Re-host the images on a site like imgur.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

This isn't interior design, but hopefully is still welcome...

I had a bunch of meetings earlier today, now am working on my little garden.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's a good garden, friend. What are you growing? Looks mostly like herbs and lettuce.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's a good garden, friend. What are you growing? Looks mostly like herbs and lettuce.

Thank you!

Yep, mostly edibles! All told it's:
two kinds of lavender, two kinds of sage, two kinds of thyme, two kinds of chives, rosemary, cherry tomato, rainbow chard, avocado, ali express (AE) mystery citrus, AE strawberry, sugar snap peas, basil, mustard, AE mystery gourds, AE mystery ?!?. I think we need more cherry tomato and basil.

The only ornamental in there is lithodora. The other part of the garden has sweet potato vines, a wren's nest (warning: not a plant. baby birds/eggs), and Wandering Jew. I've got hops on order.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I wish I had an outdoor garden! I only have garbage inside flowers...

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I wish I had an outdoor garden! I only have garbage inside flowers...

:swoon:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
TB, if you use timg rather than img when linking images we get nice thumbnails rather than table-breaking monstrosities.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Thanks guys!

And now a bit of interior design history. A woman I should hate (and Anne Whatley should love), because she basically invented the Hollywood Regency look before it had the name, Dorothy Draper.

In fact I don't hate her, because she wrote a couple of incredibly charming and dotty books, Decorating is Fun! and Entertaining is Fun! and she's the person I would credit with snapping the American upper classes out of their addiction to stodgy European antiques.

Draper was perhaps the first American celebrity interior decorator. She advocated pattern mixing, loud colors, and human-focused furniture arrangement that would bring people closer together and help them feel more intimate, which is a bedrock design principle now but pretty revolutionary back in the 30s when most of the rich old people who were hiring her came of age in the Victorian era.

She was a bit of an HGTV-style vandal, slapping brightly-colored paint on antiques and sawing furniture legs down to bring everything closer to the floor. She would have absolutely loved modern spraypaints. The entire design concept of "antique shapes, but in crazy colors" is all her.

Perhaps most famously she designed the interiors of the former seat of the post-apocalyptic shadow government, the Greenbrier Hotel

Doesn't that striped wallpaper remind you of every issue of Real Simple published in the 2010s?

Dorothy Draper freed home decorators from the rigid idea that everything in a room should match in color, period, or style. She came into vogue during the explosion of the American middle class, when a lot of first-time home buyers felt compelled to buy complete suites of furniture, ideally as antique and "oh this has always been in the family" looking as possible. She popularized the ideas that seem obvious to us now: Buy one piece at a time, suit your own needs and tastes, and approach rooms like collages, where disparate pieces pull together to say something about you as an individual.

A lot of her designs surely look dated to you now, but something of Draper's is currently back in a big way: Her Martinique and Brazilliance prints. On wallpaper, on textiles, novelty paper goods - maximalist palm leaves are found wherever your modern Instagram addict hangs her hat.

Brazilliance

Martinique

I don't think I'll take Dorothy's decorating advice anytime soon, but this bit of entertaining advice rings in my ears every time I consider canceling plans:

Dorothy Draper posted:

'The Will to Be Dreary’ is a morose little imp which whispers to us that something which we know would be fun would be too much trouble, will take too much time, is too expensive and probably wouldn’t be as amusing after all as just now you think it would be. Now don’t listen to that voice. Tune it out.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 15, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brutalist Interiors

I'm strangely attracted to Brutalism when done right. I think a lot of brutalist buildings as a whole fail because they were built in a time of the absolute worst ideas of urban planning and land use and tend to have huge pointless anti-human voids and monumental open spaces. But brutalist elements combined with more contemporary ideas of space can be nice. "brutalism with a human face" or something. I think mostly I'm just a huge sucker for raw and polished concrete.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Baronjutter posted:

Brutalist Interiors
I'm strangely attracted to Brutalism when done right. I think a lot of brutalist buildings as a whole fail because they were built in a time of the absolute worst ideas of urban planning and land use and tend to have huge pointless anti-human voids and monumental open spaces. But brutalist elements combined with more contemporary ideas of space can be nice. "brutalism with a human face" or something. I think mostly I'm just a huge sucker for raw and polished concrete.

I'm very fond of concrete, polished and raw, but I think I'd have to add some splashes of color to make the spaces work for me. Just some accents here and there, y'know? Otherwise there's this expanse of Copic Neutral Gray N1 - N9 going on there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That picture of the kid in the living room there is super dissonant to me and makes me think she'll tell stories about how she grew up in a parking garage.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I do wonder what's different (note I'm not saying "wrong") in people's heads to make them like brutalism, or perhaps in mine to make me hate it.

Contrasting something raw like concrete with something clean or natural I'm into, but the world of 10,000 concrete slabs with circles in the middle is a mystery to me.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Baronjutter posted:

Brutalist Interiors

The first and last are extremely my jam. I probably wouldn't love it as something I have to live in every day, but as like a hotel or a spot for a weekend I'm all over it. Its too bad that more people don't appreciate brutalism; they torn down an old theater here in Baltimore that I loved and are replacing it with more boring apartment towers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You should watch the movie High-Rise. It's all Brutalism all the time!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Perhaps most famously she designed the interiors of the former seat of the post-apocalyptic shadow government, the Greenbrier Hotel

Huh - I only knew the Greenbrier as the training camp for the Saints football team for the last 3 years.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

And now a bit of interior design history. A woman I should hate (and Anne Whatley should love), because she basically invented the Hollywood Regency look before it had the name, Dorothy Draper.

:
You got me!

I'm not actually into all the elements of Hollywood regency -- I like mixing and matching styles, but I'm not into chinoiserie, and I'm super into varying textures but not as into contrasting colors. I just . . . don't kinkshame my thing for chandeliers and shiny things ok

Thanks for the effortpost!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ulmont posted:

Huh - I only knew the Greenbrier as the training camp for the Saints football team for the last 3 years.

Sure, they SAID they were practicing football.

Anne Whateley posted:

shiny things
:hf:

Yeah what I lift from Draper is the high-gloss lacquered stuff and shiny brass fixtures. I guess I like her color theory too, just not her palette. Magenta is somehow too much for me but neon yellow is just fine.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have a red leather chesterfield couch and I'd totally do a brazilliance wallpaper behind it if I was in my own home.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cheese eats mouse posted:

I have a red leather chesterfield couch and I'd totally do a brazilliance wallpaper behind it if I was in my own home.

Removable wallpaper! It's not cheap but it is fun. Be sure to prep your walls carefully before installing though, as clean and bump-free as possible.

Partial to this one personally:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Removable wallpaper! It's not cheap but it is fun. Be sure to prep your walls carefully before installing though, as clean and bump-free as possible.

Do you happen to know if you can use this on cabinets?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WrenP-Complete posted:

Do you happen to know if you can use this on cabinets?

Hell yeah you can
They use a rubber spatula for making crisp corners, but I've had great results with a plastic bench scraper. A thin-edged ruler could work too, as long as it's not too sharp.

The trick to working with wallpaper and contact paper is to clean your surface perfectly first, especially if there's kitchen grease that could mess up the stickiness of your paper.

If you're nervous about damaging your cabinets and only want to decorate the back wall, you could take cardboard or thin panels of wood and make covered inserts to pop in between your shelves

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Holy poo poo that removable wallpaper makes me want to get two extra jobs so I can afford to cover my entire house in the stuff

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hell yeah you can
They use a rubber spatula for making crisp corners, but I've had great results with a plastic bench scraper. A thin-edged ruler could work too, as long as it's not too sharp.

The trick to working with wallpaper and contact paper is to clean your surface perfectly first, especially if there's kitchen grease that could mess up the stickiness of your paper.

If you're nervous about damaging your cabinets and only want to decorate the back wall, you could take cardboard or thin panels of wood and make covered inserts to pop in between your shelves

Well, I know what my partner and I are talking about this week!! Thank you!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wren Come join us in the general plant (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738) and veg threads (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thank you, I will!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

poo poo. Sadly I've bought accessories and couch that go with a different color way than the red, green, black, white I'd do. I'm currently doing red, grey, teal.

Here's the couch and other things back when they were new.

I'm super tempted to revamp now. No one sits on that sleeper and people usually end up crashing on the couch because it's so much more comfortable. It's such an awkward room and it would probably do better with a lounge chair...

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 15, 2017

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Looking in the background, it seems the house is on a lake somewhere. Kind of explains the proximity of the next door McMansion as well as the elevation changes.

On the far right side it looks like a baller outdoor kitchen.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
So I think I will split up my grandparents' house into a few posts, as I have more pictures than I thought. These were taken after my grandfather passed and my grandmother was in hospice (she passed a couple weeks afterwards) and we were trying to get the house ready to sell. I absolutely loved this house and it hurts very much that I'll never go there again, so while you are free to critique, please be kind.

We will start upstairs in the master bedroom/toile overload.

Massive hipbreaking toile bed.

Writing desk/dresser featuring me as a small child, and chair with toile cushion.

Another view of the writing desk/dresser.

Toile wall, featuring silhouettes of my brother and I.

Antique dresser, mirror, and tchotchkes.

Doge. My great aunt's shiba Chili, or "Good Old Chill Chill" as my uncle called him.

Moving on now to my grandparents' dressing room, which I did not even know existed until they were gone.

Chair upholstered in bedroom toile, and an oriental rug (there are many oriental rugs in this house)

Different toile-ish wallpaper and family pics.

Are you tired of toile yet? I hope not because here goes the upstairs guest room, where I spent many summers.

You may notice the wallpaper matches the curtains and pillows.

Check out this sweet mirror.

The toile even extends to the bathroom. I also always hated that wicker chair in there.

That's pretty much the whole upstairs and I'm toiled out for now. Stay tuned for chicken kitchen, monkey chandelier, Revolutionary War era log cabin, and George Washington.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I want that exact bedroom but with this toile:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Whoa sweet grandparents house, HelloIAmYourHeart. That's a lot of toile.

I am completely down the removable wallpaper/custom printed pattern fabric rabbit hole now. Will post some favorites tomorrow!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't you dare put any wallpaper on my raw concrete.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Don't you dare put any wallpaper on my raw concrete.

Doesn't it get clammy? Brutalist buildings always feel clammy inside to me. I realized a while back that what I was responding to with brutalist architecture was really better done with stone. Concrete's very human-unfriendly.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What happened to all the furniture? I love that white chair and mirror.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
https://theartifox.com/products/desk-02-walnut?variant=30724558545

Where do I get a desk like that that isn't $1400 cause thats loving ridiculous

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

underage at the vape shop posted:

https://theartifox.com/products/desk-02-walnut?variant=30724558545

Where do I get a desk like that that isn't $1400 cause thats loving ridiculous

When you say "like that" what all do you mean? The walnut? The sawhorse design? You won't find those exact dock/cord management features anywhere else probably, since they look proprietary, but there are aftermarket cable management options that work on the same principle. Ikea has a fairly ugly but effective option.

TBH this looks a little kickstarter-y to me, where there's a lot of buzzwords that might be distracting from subpar construction or materials and hyper-specialized features that might not age well. How do you clean/replace those little felt spacers once you knock your coffee over? Are you really going to use the pegs? More than you'd use a $2 hook you could attach to any other desk?

If you want a nice flat drawer-free workspace and some attractive cable management I think you'd be way better off rolling your own.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I want to make my own desk more than anything but my current arrangements make it impossible/overly expensive. I like the clean design, and the solid top. I hate this piece of poo poo ikea desk that I have now, it's a big laminate box filled with cardboard. I don't need or want draws or shelves, but I do want a fat desk, the width is good. I mean, width in the direction you are looking in when you sit at the desk, I hate the monitor being up close. My main monitor right now is half off the back off the desk, touching the wall. The desks like this at physical stores near where i work are all real skinny. The cable management is really cool, I wouldn't use the felt things, I just like the slot and how it's not just a straight hole.

E: Also I'm in Australia.
Eagain: Lack of cable management isn't a dealbreaker. I'm happy to figure that out myself, I don't see an issue with screwing stuff into the back/bottom of the desk, assuming it can support it.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

underage at the vape shop posted:

I want to make my own desk more than anything but my current arrangements make it impossible/overly expensive. I like the clean design, and the solid top. I hate this piece of poo poo ikea desk that I have now, it's a big laminate box filled with cardboard. I don't need or want draws or shelves, but I do want a fat desk, the width is good. I mean, width in the direction you are looking in when you sit at the desk, I hate the monitor being up close. My main monitor right now is half off the back off the desk, touching the wall. The desks like this at physical stores near where i work are all real skinny. The cable management is really cool, I wouldn't use the felt things, I just like the slot and how it's not just a straight hole.

Ok, that's doable. What's your budget and your ability to get things delivered?

What about this dining table set? The legs just screw into those cleats, which you can attach to the tabletop with a regular screwdriver. $229 for the clear-coat version, which I'd recommend so you don't have to mess around with staining. It even comes in walnut! And look at all the options for tops

I know you said you didn't want to build anything but tbh anything you buy online is going to come about this disassembled anyway. It doesn't have the cable management slot you wanted, but they offer all kinds of notching and mortising services so I bet if you emailed them they'd be happy to run a router in a straight line for a few extra bucks.

Edit: They offer international shipping!