Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Lighted shower panels would be kinda cool in a tacky tech billionaire way though.

Conveniently "tacky tech billionaire" is the exact lighting I'm going for. Upward-facing RGBW LEDs in the skirting boards? Hell yeah.

underage at the vape shop posted:

I'm a little biased against them, mum furnished the house almost exclusively with Ikea furniture. Actually the desk I'm using now is from Ikea, it's a big block of laminate filled with cardboard. It's being held together by half a roll of duct tape.

Yeah, I've found that cheap ikea is very very cheap and poo poo, but if you're paying for the good stuff (like this, solid wood top and legs, no laminates) it's much better quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Clear? :razz: That can happen.

Are these stalls made of that glass that goes opaque when you run a current through them? It would be weird to invest in stalls if you're just going to eliminate privacy, i.e. the main reason to have stalls.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe they're going to frost them after installation?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bad Munki posted:

Maybe they're going to frost them after installation?

This. They usually come pre-frosted but sometimes it's done on site for some reason.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cheese eats mouse posted:

I prefer yellow over blue lights in a bathroom.

Yellow sucks for makeup application imo. But then I prefer cooler light temperatures in all the "workshops" of the home. A lot of people do dim yellow lighting in their kitchens and I can't understand how people live like that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
4500k+ or bust! Down with yellow lighting! Do we still use candles for light? NO! Then why emulate them?

Seeing an elementary school soccer field at night lit up with sodium lamps: "Everyone's on the yellow team!"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

4500k+ or bust! Down with yellow lighting! Do we still use candles for light? NO! Then why emulate them?

Because blue lighting fucks with your melatonin levels. That's what CCT lights are for.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arachnamus posted:

Because blue lighting fucks with your melatonin levels. That's what CCT lights are for.

It's better for your houseplants though. :ohdear: Lighting is hard.

This, maybe?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

This, maybe?

I want that sound sensitive.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Arachnamus posted:

4500 is whiter, 5200 or so is bluish.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always want the "daylight" LED's now but my wife wants yellow :( What is more natural than sunlight?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

4500 is whiter, 5200 or so is bluish.

Yeah sorry, I meant the more blue is in the light the greater the effect, so the yellower lights have less blue in them than a white light.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I always want the "daylight" LED's now but my wife wants yellow :( What is more natural than sunlight?

In the morning? Late afternoon? Sunlight changes throughout the day. Lots of home automation adjusts the lights to match, using this sort of thing: https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/led-strip-lights/white-cct-adjustable-led-strip/cct-adjustable-white-led-strip-3527-120led-m-waterproof-24v

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Bright white or I start cutting joists.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Arachnamus posted:

Yeah sorry, I meant the more blue is in the light the greater the effect, so the yellower lights have less blue in them than a white light.

Oh yeah, I totally get what you mean now.

I still like sunlight-temperature bulbs, at least for main lighting.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Living-space work areas (kitchen) at 4000k tops. Cozy areas at 2300k-2700k. Actual home-industrial spaces (workshop?) at 4500k-5000k or even 5500k and 50-100 lumen per square foot, assuming an even distribution and an 8' ceiling (when in doubt, use the higher end of that range, 50lm/sqft is minimum.)

Always-on porchlights and nightlights at 2200k or bust.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 28, 2019

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Install RGBW bulbs throughout and have it all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

On that note, how do those philips hue bulbs handle being on a normal switch? I have a fixture I wouldn't mind having some in, but I also don't want to be roped into using my phone or something to control it. I also don't want a fake adhesive switch on the wall or whatever they are.

Do they make just a NORMAL SWITCH for those that gets wired in to replace a standard wall switch? Last I looked, the options were not great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think "Home Automation" and internet-of-things is the dumbest poo poo and I want it all far far away from me.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yellow sucks for makeup application imo. But then I prefer cooler light temperatures in all the "workshops" of the home. A lot of people do dim yellow lighting in their kitchens and I can't understand how people live like that.

I'm really sensitive to blue light and sun changes and I take showers at night and cook pretty late. I'd be up all night if I had white/blue in my house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baronjutter posted:

I think "Home Automation" and internet-of-things is the dumbest poo poo and I want it all far far away from me.

I don't want it for home automation, I want it for full light color control, it's for a very specifically-purposed room and I am a huge nerd for the whole thing but I have no shame.

e: Contrary to the thread that inspired this one, the special purpose of the room in question is not to bag females.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

I don't want it for home automation, I want it for full light color control, it's for a very specifically-purposed room and I am a huge nerd for the whole thing but I have no shame.

e: Contrary to the thread that inspired this one, the special purpose of the room in question is not to bag females.

:rolleyes: duh that's what the bathroom is for

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have like 5 sunlight-as-gently caress LEDs in my bathroom and it's so comfortable. It's like making GBS threads on the sun.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elendil004 posted:

I have like 5 sunlight-as-gently caress LEDs in my bathroom and it's so comfortable. It's like making GBS threads on the sun.

We had joy, we had fun
we had making GBS threads on the sun

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

On that note, how do those philips hue bulbs handle being on a normal switch? I have a fixture I wouldn't mind having some in, but I also don't want to be roped into using my phone or something to control it. I also don't want a fake adhesive switch on the wall or whatever they are.

Do they make just a NORMAL SWITCH for those that gets wired in to replace a standard wall switch? Last I looked, the options were not great.

so, what is your actual vision for this then? as cliche as this sounds, tell us your user story.

I use Alexa and Hue dimmers for hue bulbs, and an alexa/physical switch for regular bulbs in the kitchen

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a room in my basement that is most of an octagon, it served no purpose for the previous residents, and served no purpose for us...until I realized my poker table was a perfect fit for it if I put bench seating on the five octagon walls, and then I realized I could put a nice long desk in the other part, and holy poo poo it's a gaming room, so now I'm making it exactly that. D&D and poo poo, nomsayin? So if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. Surround sound around the perimeter to make ambient effects, lighting to set the stage...the whole shebang. I'm making a game pit.

Anyhow, I want to be able to control the color and brightness of those lights from my phone or whatever, but I also don't want to have to bypass the switch or do something silly with a fake-switch thing, or blanking out the existing one. Also, I put a dimmer on the light, it'd be nice to keep that functionality.

So like, I want to be able to on/off/dim from the wall for convenience and every-day use, OR control it from an app.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Sorry if this post is a little redundant, I'm still thinking about what to do with my living room/downstairs,. I really want to replace our current shades because they're kind of drab. Seattle doesn't get much sunlight so I don't want a bunch of dark colors. I initially wanted curtains, but I realized they would get in the way of my plants and books. Another poster suggested roman shades, and they seemed like a nice compromise so I started looking at them.

Here's the living room, the TV is getting mounted with a height-adjustable arm.
As far as shades go, what colors should I be looking at? Bright, warm ones? Would tulip shades work? What shelving should I look for? I'm open to any suggestions!

Here's the dining/kitchen area. Mostly a mishmash of random Ikea furniture from our old apartments. I want to get some better shelves that match, for sure. I'm not a huge fan of the table, it's too lightweight and the glass is a pain in the rear end to keep clean. The door in the back leads to the bathroom.

And here's the bathroom, I eventually want to get a better frame for the picture.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The window hiding behind the cabinets is a bit odd.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Thank you so much for sharing these. I do have two questions, if you'd be so kind:

1. Do you know how old the house is/what year it was built?
2. Do you have any exterior photos?

I'm a bit of an architecture nerd.

The chimney is part of the oldest part of the house, which is a Revolutionary War era log cabin. Supposedly it was used as a town jail for a time, with the debtors and nonviolent criminals housed on the bottom floor, and violent criminals on the second floor.

Log cabin collections in the log cabin.

Great aunt and the incredibly terrifying stairs: no railing, very high, and steep as hell.

Upstairs in the cabin.

The cabin had additions put on several times, most recently by my grandparents in the late 90s. It was in very poor shape when they bought it and they completely gutted and redid it (or rather, had my uncle do it).

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Oh, that is all kinds of AWESOME. Thanks very much!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RobotDogPolice posted:

Sorry if this post is a little redundant, I'm still thinking about what to do with my living room/downstairs,. I really want to replace our current shades because they're kind of drab. Seattle doesn't get much sunlight so I don't want a bunch of dark colors. I initially wanted curtains, but I realized they would get in the way of my plants and books. Another poster suggested roman shades, and they seemed like a nice compromise so I started looking at them.

Here's the living room, the TV is getting mounted with a height-adjustable arm.
As far as shades go, what colors should I be looking at? Bright, warm ones? Would tulip shades work? What shelving should I look for? I'm open to any suggestions!

Something to think about with your window solution is that just about anything you replace that with is going to be more work to clean. Roll away shades are super low maintenance compared to everything else -- they don't collect dust, they don't have to be taken down and washed, you don't accidentally splash them when you're watering the plants.

As for color, right now the focus of that window is on all the awesome plants. You don't want to distract attention from the plants. Maybe a light green would compliment them? I dunno, I'm not good at design.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

mod saas posted:

so, what is your actual vision for this then? as cliche as this sounds, tell us your user story.

I use Alexa and Hue dimmers for hue bulbs, and an alexa/physical switch for regular bulbs in the kitchen

Here's the actual space I'm working with. Previous owners just had junk piled back there, we did as well for a while, and then one weekend I went nuts and ripped up carpet and put down flooring:

Bad pano showing the whole space:

To the back right, you can see the octagon. When I moved in, there was a poo poo light fixture that wasn't even centered. I removed it, re-wired to support both a light and a fan on separate switches, moved the hole about 12" to be precisely centered on the octagon, and closed up and patched the old hole. Oh also, new paint, because the old vaguely-olive-khaki was just so god damned depressing and awful:

(That was from when we were trying out colors, I don't remember which one is actually the color we went with, but any of them are superior to what was there.)

To the left, I'll be putting in a desk I am slooooooowly assembling. Butcher-block style in walnut, about 1.25" thick. It will be supported by steel rails along the wall, pocketed into the desk itself, so it will look like it is just floating there against the wall with no support, when in reality it'll be as solid as anything possibly can be.

Future site of walnut butcher block slab desk:

Here you can see where I'm installing the desk. 9' long, 30" deep. At the left end, I added a pony wall to cap the left end of the desk. I also put in two switches, one for the light and one for the fan. Previously, the light that was there was on the same branch circuit as some other lights elsewhere in the area, in a pretty dumb way. Now the switches are just around the corner into the room, above where the pony wall meets the main wall, left side of the picture.

Desk in progress:

This is five sides of an octagon, I swear:

I'll be putting bench seating along the five walls there. Bench seating may not be the MOST ideal way to seat people around a table, but in this case, it super works, and will be no worse than, say, a booth at a restaurant. Worst case scenario, two people have to move for the one in the very middle back to get out. Anyhow, bench seating along those five walls, octagon table goes in the middle, leaves the EXACT right amount of space for booth seating from the wall to the table, with room for a back cushion.

I'm still searching for the perfect light fixture, that one is temporary. Once I find a fixture I like more for that space, that fan will move up to replace the last of the upstairs bedrooms I'm working on. What I want to do with this room, aside from the bench seating and desk, and why I was asking about the Hue bulbs, is to have some fun light controls in the room for gaming, because nerd stuff. So while we're sitting there playing, I want to go cool dim blue for a cave, for example. But at the same time, I don't want to lose the slap-on/off action of the light switch I have on the wall, since I'll be using the desk for more routine work. ALTHOUGH...now that I think about it, there is a soffit over where I want to put the desk, and I could put some cans up in there and put THOSE on the existing light switch, and then do whatever the hell with the Hue bulbs on that main fixture. That would kind of give me the best of both worlds, maybe.

Anyhow, any thoughts on what I've got going here would be great! Good or bad. This project is a lot more casual than my fireplace project from earlier. :P

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 18, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What an odd space. Is there some sort of corner turret on the floor above?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, a nice sitting room that we made into a pretty swank office for my wife, and above that, a really fantastic bedroom. Both have amaaaaazing windowage. I'll get pics tomorrow.

So it's great above-ground, but it makes for kind of a junk space in the basement...until now.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 18, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Seeing an elementary school soccer field at night lit up with sodium lamps: "Everyone's on the yellow team!"

i would use candles for all my light if it wasn't prohibitively expensive, candle-light is nice

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

I'm still searching for the perfect light fixture, that one is temporary. Once I find a fixture I like more for that space, that fan will move up to replace the last of the upstairs bedrooms I'm working on. What I want to do with this room, aside from the bench seating and desk, and why I was asking about the Hue bulbs, is to have some fun light controls in the room for gaming, because nerd stuff. So while we're sitting there playing, I want to go cool dim blue for a cave, for example. But at the same time, I don't want to lose the slap-on/off action of the light switch I have on the wall, since I'll be using the desk for more routine work. ALTHOUGH...now that I think about it, there is a soffit over where I want to put the desk, and I could put some cans up in there and put THOSE on the existing light switch, and then do whatever the hell with the Hue bulbs on that main fixture. That would kind of give me the best of both worlds, maybe.

I'm not sure how Hue etc work but I've been doing a lot of research into DALI lately and it would do want you want though it's a bit hardcore.

The point of DALI is that you run a single two-wire bus to all your lights and switches, and you buy DALI-enabled ballasts (the long boxy things that power your lights) and DALI-enabled switches / other control units. The lights are "slaves" and the switches "masters" which means that as long as they're all talking the same standard you can have touch screen or physical switches or twisty knobs to do dimming, light on/off, and colour changing.

I'm a software nerd so I'm wiring it all into a central computer but you could do it as intended and buy the DALI-enabled fixtures.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I want to put a door on my master bath shower. It's 36" wide. Are there bifold options?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

One of the things about "HGTV Style" design that everyone on TV forgets is cleaning. I do the majority of the cleaning in our house, and I watch those shows and after everything is staged all I can think is "it's clear that the interior designer never thought about having dust all that poo poo"

Our house has incredibly hard water, so everything gets coated in calcium deposits almost immediately so keeping things clean and stain free is a priority. The previous owners were incredibly dumb and went with that brushed pewter finish all over the bathroom so naturally a week into owning the house, all of our taps are practically frosted with calcium. Any thoughts on how to keep that stuff clean? Soaking in vinegar and Dawn works great for dishes once a month, but it's tougher to soak taps.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

beep-beep car is go posted:

One of the things about "HGTV Style" design that everyone on TV forgets is cleaning. I do the majority of the cleaning in our house, and I watch those shows and after everything is staged all I can think is "it's clear that the interior designer never thought about having dust all that poo poo"

Our house has incredibly hard water, so everything gets coated in calcium deposits almost immediately so keeping things clean and stain free is a priority. The previous owners were incredibly dumb and went with that brushed pewter finish all over the bathroom so naturally a week into owning the house, all of our taps are practically frosted with calcium. Any thoughts on how to keep that stuff clean? Soaking in vinegar and Dawn works great for dishes once a month, but it's tougher to soak taps.

Easiest is probably to fix the problem at the source. Can you install or upgrade a water softener? I know they make filtered showerheads that should at least help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah
I've used barkeepers friend to remove all the hard water spots on metal.