Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Easiest is probably to fix the problem at the source. Can you install or upgrade a water softener? I know they make filtered showerheads that should at least help.

It's tougher. We have a septic system too, and all the RO systems that will really get rid of the calcium backflush to clean themselves, and that's bad for a septic system. Whole house filter is on the table, but they're kind of expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

beep-beep car is go posted:

Our house has incredibly hard water, so everything gets coated in calcium deposits almost immediately so keeping things clean and stain free is a priority. The previous owners were incredibly dumb and went with that brushed pewter finish all over the bathroom so naturally a week into owning the house, all of our taps are practically frosted with calcium. Any thoughts on how to keep that stuff clean? Soaking in vinegar and Dawn works great for dishes once a month, but it's tougher to soak taps.

We've done vinegar in bags and just rubber banded onto the taps overnight before. Seems to work well. Though ultimately, it might be better to fix it at the source.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Living with hard water and septic system sounds like a real nightmare.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Also looking for some reputable places online to buy a few things, including a shower pan because lowes/home depot are just garbage about odd sizes. Amazon has them but that can be a crapshoot.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Living with hard water and septic system sounds like a real nightmare.

The septic isn't bad really. I've had houses with both. You get the tank pumped out ever 3 or 4 years for $200 and only human waste goes down the potty. The water is more annoying. It's like municipal well water (our supply is an aquifer) and it's much of the downsides of the well - but since its municipal we don't have to worry about things like a well head or tanks or any of that. The water is so hard though it tastes salty which is annoying. We have a tap filter for drinking though.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Somebody on imgur posted these as their dream living room and bedroom. I'm not feeling it and I can't quite put my finger on why. For one I think you'd fry with that giant window facing your bed, but maybe that's just my climate. And for the living room I dunno, too beige? Fake candle chandelier? I like the wood grain and color in that room better than the walls of the bedroom though.

Post yr dream rooms

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The chandelier made of antlers is a little much. Seems like you'd also probably have a hard time cleaning leaves/moss off the outside of that window.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

How much you think that window costs?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Looking at it more there's a bunch of stuff in that room that just looks off to me (as someone who himself lives in a small place in the woods):
- I wonder what sort of heating they've got with that huge stone wall and what appears to be concrete floor
- The polished wall to the left feels really out of place given the textures everywhere else?
- Shouldn't store too much wood inside like that, that's gonna bring in critters
- The diagonal beams on the upper right look like real overkill, the visual weight just gives me the illusion that they're gonna somehow get dislodged and slide off to the right

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate the slight of overly rustic wood, like I'm going to get splinters just looking at it. Exposed natural rock is cool in a basement or something but in your bedroom??

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
it may look better without the HDR. Having bits of wood in hollowed out logs in the place of vases and flowers is a bit much, especially combined with the antlerlier. Screams "look at how masculine I am! Grrrrrr!"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

learnincurve posted:

it may look better without the HDR.

You say HDR, I say render. No way that fire's real, and could you even make a seamless window with an angle like that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Somebody on imgur posted these as their dream living room and bedroom. I'm not feeling it and I can't quite put my finger on why. For one I think you'd fry with that giant window facing your bed, but maybe that's just my climate. And for the living room I dunno, too beige? Fake candle chandelier? I like the wood grain and color in that room better than the walls of the bedroom though.

Post yr dream rooms

There are no curtains on that giant bedroom window. That house better be hella isolated, or the meter reader is going to watch your sexy times.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
A friend's dad built their house and he had huge open windows like that top bedroom in the kitchen and it easily is the hottest room in the house in the summer. They had to cover the ceiling windows to get the heat down, and their house has a bunch of shade cover. We live in a southern temperate. You would definitely boil.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Post yr dream rooms

I love natural feeling aesthetics, and there's something about these rooms I don't like. Maybe it's that none of the textures look appealing? There's nothing that I want to touch, or would feel soothed by touching, imo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Imagine having to carry a tray of drinks to that coffee table. Legs are getting skinned on the hearth and no one in the middle of the sofa can get up to go to the toilet without everyone moving.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Arachnamus posted:

You say HDR, I say render. No way that fire's real, and could you even make a seamless window with an angle like that?

My dad makes "transparent armor" (bulletproof glass) and they also do architecture glass. You could definitely make a window do that, but it won't be cheap.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
First one definitely looks like a render. Is it supposed to have been built against the side of a rock face?

The second looks like the lobby of a ski hotel.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think if you zoom in on the window, you can actually see the seam.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Facebook Aunt posted:

There are no curtains on that giant bedroom window. That house better be hella isolated, or the meter reader is going to watch your sexy times.

That's definitely what it's meant to communicate. I'm fascinated by the changing ways interior design (and architecture, in this case) signals wealth. Privacy and space are luxuries now, so aspirational designs wallow in it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Any thoughts on whether (or how) you can get two different wood floors in adjacent rooms?

Basically I've got some golden oak colored laminate through part of the house and want to get rid of my carpet, but don't think the golden oak goes well elsewhere.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They do those strip things that go under the door frames in much nicer designs than the default gold with nails in it that is the default. You can break up the different wood with one of those maybe? Mine are a rounded mat chrome - other examples https://www.carpetrunners.co.uk/flooring-trims.asp

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

My dad makes "transparent armor" (bulletproof glass) and they also do architecture glass. You could definitely make a window do that, but it won't be cheap.

I'm impressed! Still a render though.

Ben Nevis posted:

Any thoughts on whether (or how) you can get two different wood floors in adjacent rooms?

Basically I've got some golden oak colored laminate through part of the house and want to get rid of my carpet, but don't think the golden oak goes well elsewhere.

Would seem like that's one of the easiest situations to remedy, since it's two level smooth surfaces you could join them with a bead, i.e. a thin strip of somethin', maybe brass, or a wood that makes the transition go well, anything flat really that doesn't make the doorway look weird.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
From a design standpoint, the important thing is that the floor treatment changes at a logical break between spaces, somewhere you have a vertical change as well as the horizontal of the floor. So walled-off rooms are the easiest, but in a more open floorplan you can break up the space with furniture and rugs.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Seems easy enough. It'd break at the entrances to the room. My instinct it to not get something too close in color and probably orient it the grain differently.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
To me, the cabin looks like there's way too much poo poo going on. It's trying to look really rustic and natural, but it ends up just having this meticulous cramming of items, shapes, and patterns in it. The couch is taking up 80% of the room, and the bedroom has piles of decorative crap all over.

It's trying to show the lifestyle of natural rustic simplicity, but with the aesthetic of artificial excessive maximism.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My first thought on that bedroom was "someone's never sleeping in late again." All the light after daybreak...

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
This is my loungeroom.

The house faces west, and the front of the house cops a lot of sun. But we have a nice view of the surrounding farmland and mountain range out of the windows.

At the moment, there's white block-out roller blinds on the windows, which are broken. So I'm looking for ideas on what might be a suitable thing to replace them with. Ideally, the window covering would cut down noise from the street, and glare/heat from the sun. We got a quote for aluminium plantation shutters, but my partner thinks that the slats would be too obtrusive and block the view.

I like how the shutters look and personally I don't find them too much of a view blocker. Mr bee likes the Idea of cellular blinds, but I'm concerned that with the amount of heat and light they'd be subject to, that they'd start to break down within a few years and we'd need to replace them. Also, I don't think that they'd not look as aesthetically pleasing as shutters.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Someone suggested acrylic wall panels for a bathroom, but who the gently caress distributes them? I can find a lot of UK distributors but almost nothing in the USA.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sorry for the double, but I'm trying to find a 36x42 shower base with the entrance on the 36 side. Everybody I can find wants the entrance on the 42 side. Thoughts?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Someone suggested acrylic wall panels for a bathroom, but who the gently caress distributes them? I can find a lot of UK distributors but almost nothing in the USA.

If you can point me at those UK distributors I'd be grateful. I could only find one or two.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Someone trained an AI to create and name paint colors Janelle Shane

What's your pick for color of the summer? Mine's "Sand Dan"

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 23, 2017

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Grandparents' house, round 3.

My grandmother collected a lot of things

MONKEY CHANDELIER

An ancestor.

Wall plates.

Grandfather clock that bonged out the hour every hour, like a miniature church bell. Often woke me up in the middle of the night.

Heated stone floors.

Chicken Kitchen. The wallpaper is chicken wire with some cut out chickens decoupaged on in places. Many many cookbooks.

And finally, the crow themed staircase and upstairs hallway.

So that's my grandparents' house, hope you enjoyed.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

If you're not down with Stanky Bean then just smdh

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

MONKEY CHANDELIER

It's like everything I am and aspire to be, summed up in one perfect object

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

Under the door frame thingies and Not Caring. 12:00-3:00 toilet
3:00-6:00 wide fancy hall flooring
6:00-12:00 cheaper flooring for this playroom and upstairs bedrooms

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have paneling in our prefab shower (wet room). It's Toto's latest model and it's The Best. The floor looks like tile but is actually subtly soft and doesn't feel cold.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hard pick between Stoner Blue and Snowbonk, imo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My grandmother collected a lot of things

I guess it's safe to assume she didn't have cats? So many not-chipped things on flat surfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm a fan of the colors which don't actually match their names.

I'm Gray Pubic.